Barca agree £6m fee for Pique

ronnie dazzler

Imagine there are people in here who think that there are no decent strikers around for less then 18m.
:lol::lol:a lot of people. there's value there if you look hard enough. Look at what Mark hughes has done - signed benni mccarthy and santa Cruz for 7m in total. they probably scored 35 to 40 goals this season between them. Michael Owen would probably cost 7m, fabiano about the same, Ashton 7/8m,Gudjohnsen 7/8m, yakubu for 11/12m.

SAF might really rate Benzema, but I don't think he will pay crazy money. we've been down this road with Lyon before for Diarra, essien and went thanks, but no thanks. He will probably sell for 28-30m. fergie might pay 20m as he seems to be a major talent. but, he signed Tevez this season and you don't want to be rotating all the time.

We either sign a good young striker (20/21) with potential or a more experienced option at a cheaper rate. Personally, I'd go for a more experienced player like Ashton, Owen, fabiano, gudjohnsen, Santa Cruz, Yakubu

Fergie's gum

Pique letter of thanks (from manutd.com)

Gerard Pique this week agreed to join former club Barcelona, but before he left he asked ManUtd.com to publish a letter of thanks to the club, staff and fans...

I didn't want to say goodbye without thanking all the club personnel, including the football equipment manager, masseuses, secretaries, coaches, and especially my team mates, who have always treated me well and played a vital role in my development, both as a football player and more importantly, on a personal level.

Obviously I would have liked to play more this season, but I must say that despite some difficult decisions, the manager has always treated me in an exceptional manner, for which I am extremely grateful.

I am leaving with some very special memories: scoring a Champions League goal at Old Trafford, beating Arsenal in April on the way to winning the title and, most of all, the experience of being part of this fantastic group that won the Premier League and Champions League Double.

Finally, a special thanks to the fans for their warmth and support. I would like them to know that I will always carry United in my heart and I hope that they understand my decision to go back to my home club, FC Barcelona.

Thank you all and I hope to see you in the Champions League final next season.

Sheer class. All the best Gerard.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
:lol::lol:a lot of people. there's value there if you look hard enough. Look at what Mark hughes has done - signed benni mccarthy and santa Cruz for 7m in total. they probably scored 35 to 40 goals this season between them. Michael Owen would probably cost 7m, fabiano about the same, Ashton 7/8m,Gudjohnsen 7/8m, yakubu for 11/12m.

SAF might really rate Benzema, but I don't think he will pay crazy money. we've been down this road with Lyon before for Diarra, essien and went thanks, but no thanks. He will probably sell for 28-30m. fergie might pay 20m as he seems to be a major talent. but, he signed Tevez this season and you don't want to be rotating all the time.

We either sign a good young striker (20/21) with potential or a more experienced option at a cheaper rate. Personally, I'd go for a more experienced player like Ashton, Owen, fabiano, gudjohnsen, Santa Cruz, Yakubu
Good players like Santa Cruz and Mccarthy exist only in our heads my friend. The only good strikers that exist are those who cost more then 20m ;)

Brophs

The One and Only

Gerard Pique this week agreed to join former club Barcelona, but before he left he asked ManUtd.com to publish a letter of thanks to the club, staff and fans...

I didn't want to say goodbye without thanking all the club personnel, including the football equipment manager, masseuses, secretaries, coaches, and especially my team mates, who have always treated me well and played a vital role in my development, both as a football player and more importantly, on a personal level.

Obviously I would have liked to play more this season, but I must say that despite some difficult decisions, the manager has always treated me in an exceptional manner, for which I am extremely grateful.

I am leaving with some very special memories: scoring a Champions League goal at Old Trafford, beating Arsenal in April on the way to winning the title and, most of all, the experience of being part of this fantastic group that won the Premier League and Champions League Double.

Finally, a special thanks to the fans for their warmth and support. I would like them to know that I will always carry United in my heart and I hope that they understand my decision to go back to my home club, FC Barcelona.

Fair play to him, sounds like a good lad. Re-sign him up, Fergie:)

GloryHunter07

Fair play to the lad, im disappointed to loose such a talented player, but atleast he has gone back to his home club.

devilish

a shame but vida and rio could go for years yet
Why it is a shame? Honestly I cant see why many people rate Pique that much. Mind I was one who defended him in the past for the simple reason that I liked what I saw at Zaragoza. Stating that in England he was average at best. His defending was average, his positioning terrible and if he lost the ball he had no pace to try to recover it back. Wes and OShea did much better then him in their early years.

GusHiddink

Alex Ferguson will not win another champions leagu
In the berbatov thread trying to push the deal thr
Why it is a shame? Honestly I cant see why many people rate Pique that much. Mind I was one who defended him in the past for the simple reason that I liked what I saw at Zaragoza. Stating that in England he was average at best. His defending was average, his positioning terrible and if he lost the ball he had no pace to try to recover it back. Wes and OShea did much better then him in their early years.
The boy clearly had ability. And im not sure he ever got the same time as wes or oshea in terms of a run in the side to find his feet. He'll do well.

devilish

The boy clearly had ability. And im not sure he ever got the same time as wes or oshea in terms of a run in the side to find his feet. He'll do well.
If you're good enough then you're old enough. When we brought Ole he was supposed to be a player for the future (the Manucho type). The boy went in, he took his chance and he won his place. England's no 1 flank man (Lee Sharpe) was kicked out from the first team to give space to a 17 yr old school boy.

I cant understand why we keep on mentioning Vidic and Rio. I mean, Pique's direct competition came not from them but from Wes, OShea and Mickey who were always chosen ahead of him in the pecking order. I mean ok Wes is a decent defender (not world class though) who is quite difficult to beat but lets face it, you dont need to be that great to do better then OShea and Mickey. The very fact that Pique was never capable of doing that, says quite a lot.

GusHiddink

Alex Ferguson will not win another champions leagu
In the berbatov thread trying to push the deal thr
If you're good enough then you're old enough. When we brought Ole he was supposed to be a player for the future (the Manucho type). The boy went in, he took his chance and he won his place. England's no 1 flank man (Lee Sharpe) was kicked out from the first team to give space to a 17 yr old school boy.

I cant understand why we keep on mentioning Vidic and Rio. I mean, Pique's direct competition came not from them but from Wes, OShea and Mickey who were always chosen ahead of him in the pecking order. I mean ok Wes is a decent defender (not world class though) who is quite difficult to beat but lets face it, you dont need to be that great to win the tie against OShea and Mickey. The very fact that Pique was never capable of doing that, says quite a lot
Id happily wager that in yrs to come pique will be a substantially better player than wes. The problem is often at big clubs patience isnt an option. look at fabragas. these are the players that are cursed....not quite at the level to start week in week out (especailly given what they have to displace) but far too good not to be playing. thats why they move. diarra another. its difficult.

devilish

This time last year you claimed he was one of the most talented players in world football...
The last time you talked about SA talent you've said that they will definately not make it at OT.

devilish

SA talent?
Reasons for not buying South Americans, and especially Brazilians:

1) South Americans have a 75% fail rate at United
2) Massive cultural, language and life-style differences
3) South American International football

:angel:

Dyslexic Untied

We will probably need to replace Ferdinand within the next 2-3 years.

Not sure Pique was the one though.

Don`t think that will be necessary for another 4-5 years myself. Rio is what, 29 now? He is extremely fit and could well play to 34-35 I think, central defenders tend to hit their peak around and after 30 anyway.

Donut

You think so? Fergie said he thinks he can do a Maldini and with Rio being such an intelligent and athletic player maybe he could or at least more than 3 years:nervous: .

devilish

Id happily wager that in yrs to come pique will be a substantially better player than wes. The problem is often at big clubs patience isnt an option. look at fabragas. these are the players that are cursed....not quite at the level to start week in week out (especailly given what they have to displace) but far too good not to be playing. thats why they move. diarra another. its difficult.
If you were talking about our patience about homegrown strikers then Ill agree with you. I mean when was the last time a homegrown striker had made it at OT. Stating that we are talking about a department where players like OShea and Philip Neville managed to play 300+ appearances with us.

Im not saying that Pique is shite. He is quite a decent defender. But he definately not suited to our game.

CnutOfAllCnuts

Bald Boring Cnut

:angel:
And? I still stand by that.

I've not gone from calling a player one of the most promising players in Europe one year, to not being able to understand why people rate said players a year later.

But then again, you've always managed to contradict yourself.

devilish

And? I still stand by that.

I've not gone from calling a player one of the most promising players in Europe one year, to not being able to understand why people rate said players a year later.

But then again, you've always managed to contradict yourself.
So you still believe that 75% of all South American talent who sign with us fail miserably?

Veron - fail
Kleberson - fail
Heinze - did well
Tevez - did well
Anderson - did well

Wow you're good in percentages

And if you read my posts rather then simply critize them, you would have a valid answer to your question.

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)

Replace Ferdinand at the age of 31? :houllier: You're got to be having a laugh. Ferdinand has just gotten better and better with age, and is currently playing the football of his life and there's nothing that seem to change that. His style of play would allow him to keep playing a long long long time. I wouldn't be surprised to see him at United at the age of 35+. Some people are just freaking morons when it comes to replacing players. "Carrick needs replacement within 5 years" :lol: ffs that's a life time in football - real life football that is :smirk:

CnutOfAllCnuts

Bald Boring Cnut
So you still believe that 75% of all South American talent who sign with us fail miserably?

Veron - fail
Kleberson - fail
Heinze - did well
Tevez - did well
Anderson - did well

Wow you're good in percentages
Idiot, that was said before Tevez and Anderson signed for us.

You've left out Forlan.

CnutOfAllCnuts

Bald Boring Cnut
Replace Ferdinand at the age of 31? :houllier: You're got to be having a laugh. Ferdinand has just gotten better and better with age, and is currently playing the football of his life and there's nothing that seem to change that. His style of play would allow him to keep playing a long long long time. I wouldn't be surprised to see him at United at the age of 35+. Some people are just freaking morons when it comes to replacing players. "Carrick needs replacement within 5 years" :lol: ffs that's a life time in football - real life football that is :smirk:
It all depends on injuries really, and how Rio's pace will be affected by them, as he relies on his pace.

If he is lucky with injuries, I can see him playing to a top notch standard for another 4-5 seasons.

devilish

Idiot, that was said before Tevez and Anderson signed for us.
So what if it was for you we wouldnt have bought Heinze, Anderson and Tevez because

Instead we should had bought Taylor, Carr and Babayaro who should be as good as our own players

Taylor looks a great prospect, and they have two decent fullbacks in Carr and Babayaro. When the team settles, their back four should be as good as yours.

https://www.redcafe.net/f7/will-owen-get-champions-league-football-86795/#post1565669

Brophs

The One and Only
It all depends on injuries really, and how Rio's pace will be affected by them, as he relies on his pace.

If he is lucky with injuries, I can see him playing to a top notch standard for another 4-5 seasons.
No he doesn't. While it's an important part of his game, the most crucial thing Rio has is his ability to read the game, that means that he is forced to use his pace far less than most players.

spinoza

Paz's ion

Nice of him.

spinoza

Paz's ion
Ferdinand's same age as me - 30 this year.

I reckon he'll go on to about 33, barring injury.

Donut

devilish is being owned big time:lol:.

Something related to the topic, hopefully selling Pique means we will give Evans a proper chance and won't go rushing into signing Richards:mad:.

CnutOfAllCnuts

Bald Boring Cnut
So what if it was for you we wouldnt have bought Heinze, Anderson and Tevez because

Instead we should had bought Taylor. :D
If it was up to me, I would have been very reluctant to buy players from South America, yes. If two players of similar ability were available, one from Brazil, one from Europe, I would go for the European player.

What this got to do with you totally changing your opinion on Pique during the course of a year, I have no idea.

CnutOfAllCnuts

Bald Boring Cnut
No he doesn't. While it's an important part of his game, the most crucial thing Rio has is his ability to read the game, that means that he is forced to use his pace far less than most players.
Nah, what sets Rio apart from other players is his pace. Gets himself and other players out of trouble.

devilish

If it was up to me, I would have been very reluctant to buy players from South America, yes. If two players of similar ability were available, one from Brazil, one from Europe, I would go for the European player.

What this got to do with you totally changing your opinion on Pique during the course of a year, I have no idea.
According to you we shouldnt bring South American talent to Old Trafford since 75% of them fail miserably. I can still remember when you also said that 'Taylor looks a great prospect, and they have two decent fullbacks in Carr and Babayaro. When the team settles, their back four should be as good as yours.' :angel:

And Ive already said why Ive changed opinion, just read my first posts.

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
Nah, what sets Rio apart from other players is his pace. Gets himself and other players out of trouble.
I cannot agree with you here. Rio is not that super fast. Sure he is big and has put on a lot more muscles this season, but it's really his abillity to always know what to do - read the game - that is the big difference. Vidic gets directions from Rio, goes up to win the ball. 99/100 balls are being won in the air and the rest are being picked up by Rio :)

CnutOfAllCnuts

Bald Boring Cnut
According to you we shouldnt bring South American talent to Old Trafford since 75% of them fail miserably + 'Taylor looks a great prospect, and they have two decent fullbacks in Carr and Babayaro. When the team settles, their back four should be as good as yours.'

And Ive already said why Ive changed opinion, just read my first posts.
Taylor still looks a great prospect.

And yes, we should be careful about signing South Americans.

Carr and Babayaro were at the time just as good as Finnan and Riise.