g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Barca trying to terminate the contracts of Umtiti and Pjanic

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
If you have a player on a big contract who nobody wants to buy or even sign on a free transfer, there's a few options to get rid of them:

1, Treat them like shit (train with the kids etc) in the hope that they'll accept a lower salary elsewhere.

2, Offer to pay off a decent chunk of their remaining contract and release them on a free. This will save Barca money in the long run.

3, Send them on loan whilst paying a large % of their wages. This lightens the wage bill and puts them in the shop window.
1. Does not work for some players. Divides the dressing room and Barca don't have the luxury of time.
2. Paying people off costs money. The sheer size of these contracts means the pay outs will be huge.
3. How many clubs are willing to.pay significant portions of these players salaries? Finding koans for so many players will.be time consuming. They don't have that luxury.
They need to cut €230m in wages. I can't see how they do it.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
1. Does not work for some players. Divides the dressing room and Barca don't have the luxury of time.
2. Paying people off costs money. The sheer size of these contracts means the pay outs will be huge.
3. How many clubs are willing to.pay significant portions of these players salaries? Finding koans for so many players will.be time consuming. They don't have that luxury.
To be fair, payouts may not count towards their wage bill, so might be their loophole to fulfil La Ligas demands

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
it can go hand in hand though, no? Messi being a greedy prick and Barca being a shambles of a club isn't necessarily mutually exclusive.
Do you think Messi, of all their players, shouldn't be paid the going rate for his services? He asked to go last season, the club said no; I'm not sure he wants to go now, but I don't doubt he would - they don't have to indulge him, but without him, they are a mess on the pitch and in bigger trouble off it, so what should happen here?

They have the most expensive player the game has known on their books, and have him for a long time, shouldn't that then be relayed by the money men that to accommodate this player, concessions or more prudent money management is the order of the day?

If you're paying Griezmann 800,000 euro a week and tying him to a 300,000,000 euro contract over 5 years, there's something seriously wrong at your club, that's before mentioning the host of mega earners whose totals take us over a billion euros during the full duration - that's the feck up here, and it's epic in both scale and incredulity.

You have what many consider the best player of literal all-time on your books, it's a given you are going to have to pay a premium of astronomical proportion for the privilege, just as Napoli did with Maradona and I don't know why the player is faulted for that.

PoTMS

Pjanic would be a fantastic signing for us. No brainer on a free. Apparently, Spurs are sniffing around.

Hoof the ball

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
If they're in the much trouble, why have they signed 4 new players?

They can't be in THAT bad a situation, if they were, 4 new players would be borderline criminally negligent.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

They can't be in THAT bad a situation, if they were, 4 new players would be borderline criminally negligent.
Doesn't make sense to me as well.
They have to cut €230m in wages. That's a known fact.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Offer them £25m for Fati who only has 12 months left on his contract.

Robertd0803

It would be beyond funny if Barcelona were brought down by what they view as deadwood refusing to move.

Also if they somehow manage to trim the squad only for Messi to not sign a new contract :lol:

arthurka

I honestly hope we wouldn't. And if we did I'd be pretty disgusted if we had to sell off players, ask them to take a paucity just to give to a guy like Messi
No I agree with that, but I think the biggest brand in the sport might have something to do with it. Messi is just huge they would be idiots to let him leave.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Barcelona are in a bad situation but I think people are mixing two unrelated issues. The reason they have to reduce their wage bill beyond the fact that it would make it easier to pay their debt is that La Liga has introduced a salary cap at 382m but Barcelona were above 600m in 20/21. Now the risk is that unless they are under 382m, they shouldn't be able to register Messi even if he was playing for free.

PS: I'm pretty sure that Messi was aware of that and screwed them because the players already registered were grandfathered.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Really? They cant move forward without Messi? What a fecking shitshow Barca have become
Because then the new regime/president has to work harder to find a new "superstar" and appease the fans. But then, i don't know the attractiveness of become Barca's president. Are they getting rich from that position? prestige? else?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Maybe they should try to get Messi to sponsor them, playing with "Messi" on the front of their shirts. Maybe get him to buy the naming rights to Camp Nou as well.

They definitely should have sold him to City for 100m when they had the chance last summer.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I've read Umtiti and Pjanic aren't accepting to terminate their contracts so I don't know what Barcelona us going to do as no one is going to offer a similar contract to what they have with Barcelona. :lol:

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
I've read Umtiti and Pjanic aren't accepting to terminate their contracts so I don't know what Barcelona us going to do as no one is going to offer a similar contract to what they have with Barcelona. :lol:
Good. Having a second rate manager and highly paid squad players is going to make them disappear for a few years.

mu4c_20le

I think they are also giving Dembele a new contract

Sinbad the sailor

Supports
Football
Seen a lot of confusion on this topic so trying to say what I know for a fact.
Well first Barcelona need to decrease their wage bill asap. It's not about signing Messi to a new contract, their wage bill is 110% of their income and la liga has imposed extremely tight rules regarding wages.
Secondly Messi himself is taking nearly a 50% wage reduction.
And lastly although pjanic is definitely a good player umtiti had this coming. He went to the world cup against the club's wishes and refused surgery afterwards. He has been in horrible physical condition for the last 3 years picking up 230k per week. Pjanic is going to leave without a fuss but umtiti is getting kicked out.

Rojow

Pjanic supossedly has a contract of 20 million euros. WTF!

Umtiti has one of 12 million.

What the hell was Bartomeu doing? He was really a Real Madrid fan in charge of Barcelona. It makes no sense these numbers.

red4ever 79

Umtiti has played what around 13 league games for the past 3 years. His knees are shot, and Pjanic was dire last season. With the emergence of Pedri I can see where they are coming from. If only other clubs would try to offload players who cant contribute instead of consistently giving them extensions because they are good in the dressing room. Oh wait thats us.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
If Im playing devils advocate there are players no longer needed by the club but refuse to leave. Barca just want to sell them and move on but they refuse to go. Yeah they signed contracts so Barca needs to adhere to the contract but if the club says 'look your a great guy and a great player but we cant see a future for you here so we are looking to sell you' and the player says 'Nope. I refuse. Im staying put.' What do you do?
Nothing you can do.

Which is why you don't sign stupid contracts in the first place.

Banat

They are ruthless, we should follow this model to remove Jones and the likes from our squad.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
It's €324m difference they need to cut, between the cap last season and this one I think.

If Laporta doesn't have some magic trick they'll have to sell key players from the squad. Pedri, Griezmann, Ter Stegen etc. No one is taking Umtitu or probably even Pjanic on their current wages.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
This could get ugly :lol:

Barca are like gambling addicts trying to sell their microwave for a 10/1 shot at Kempton.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
This could get ugly :lol:

Barca are like gambling addicts trying to sell their microwave for a 10/1 shot at Kempton.
Half of the caf just looked at the empty table where a microwave used to seat.

OmarUnited4ever

All Messi needs to do after he's done with his NT duties is to announce that he is not signing a new contract with Barca and will consider his options for the upcoming season, and put Barca out of their misery

Redfrog

It's €324m difference they need to cut, between the cap last season and this one I think.

If Laporta doesn't have some magic trick they'll have to sell key players from the squad. Pedri, Griezmann, Ter Stegen etc. No one is taking Umtitu or probably even Pjanic on their current wages.
Problem is how can they sell them ? Most of them are on big contracts, they won’t want a pay cut. And those who aren’t on a big contract are probably not the one you would sell for the future of the club.
They are fecked.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
La Liga has a salary cap!? Interesting

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Absolutely no sympathy for them or Real Madrid. Not such Billy Big Bollocks now. Come on Barca, take Mane or Salah off our hands, they're just itching to play next to salary hog Messi.

SAFMUTD

Surprising how both players were highly rated specially Umtiti not too long ago and now they are deadwood.

I would certainly look at Pjanic if it's for free but wouldn't touch Umtiti with a stick.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I don’t blame Barca’s players at all. Not „even“ Messi.
This is all on the club offering the players those horrendously overpriced contracts.

I called the Pjanic/Arthur swap last year „kicking the can down the road“ since it was purely a book balancing exercise. Guess what, the road seems to have ended earlier than they expected.

Btw, Real‘s financial state is not in the least comparable. They are way better of.