Barcelona - a lot of moaning about them and some praise

VP

Three knock out games without an opposition player sent off, they must be getting twitchy.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Wasn't Alba doing Busquets' peek a boo act when he was on the floor anyway?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Indeed.

There is no rule that you have to stop play immediately if players get injured unless it's a serious injury.

But Starks assistance made another mistake by judging them to be still in play and not calling another offside situation because of it, injured players however are not to be considered part of the game.

It was pretty apparent that both players collided with each other and not randomly threw themselves on the ground.

If anyone really is to blame for this game it's the atrocious linesman who seems to be either blind or extremely incompetent.
Has there been a new ruling/rewording on this then? I thought until the ref actually blows to stop play, an injured player is still a player. Hence, no offside.

The reasonable complaint that Barcelona have I think, is the fact he didn't allow them to return to the field of play immediately to defend the corner. I thought they had some discretion in that - certainly I know keepers can get called back on immediately and I'm pretty sure I've seen defenders basically being waved on as the ball gets hit. Or haven't I? :wenger:

JazzG

Resident Arse.
I wouldn't be surprised if UEFA took firm action against the referee in question. A shame we don't have as much influence at UEFA, maybe we could of got the ref who sent of RvP at Nou Camp a few years ago in trouble as well.....

NinjaFletch

Indeed.

There is no rule that you have to stop play immediately if players get injured unless it's a serious injury.

But Starks assistance made another mistake by judging them to be still in play and not calling another offside situation because of it, injured players however are not to be considered part of the game.

It was pretty apparent that both players collided with each other and not randomly threw themselves on the ground.

If anyone really is to blame for this game it's the atrocious linesman who seems to be either blind or extremely incompetent.
Actually thats wrong.

Apart from the obvious exception of goalkeepers if two players of the same team collide the referee is required by law to stop the game, I can't remember the incident regardless of severity of injury, but if they collided and the referee did not stop the game then I guess Barca are right.

Complaining that he obliged them to leave the pitch is wrong though, that's the rules.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Actually thats wrong.

Apart from the obvious exception of goalkeepers if two players of the same team collide the referee is required by law to stop the game, I can't remember the incident regardless of severity of injury, but if they collided and the referee did not stop the game then I guess Barca are right.

Complaining that he obliged them to leave the pitch is wrong though, that's the rules.
Is this a real law ? It's a genuine question because what the Barca players/staff meant wasn't fully understood by most of us.We saw the thing as the usual instance where the ref decides when one player is on the ground to stop or let the play on.
I never thought/knew there was an obligation for him to stop the match if two players are down at the same time

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Actually thats wrong.

Are you sure that isn't the other way round?

No obligation to stop the game unless one/both players need immediate attention. But, where two players of the same team get attention on the pitch after a stoppage, the ref doesn't need to order them to leave the field?

LoveInTheAsylum

From the FIFA laws of the game (pdf - http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/footballdevelopment/refereeing/81/42/36/lawsofthegame_2012_e.pdf pages 73 & 74 in adobe, 71 & 72 by the booklet numbering):
The referee must adhere to the following procedure when dealing with injured players:
• play is allowed to continue until the ball is out of play if a player is, in the opinion of the referee, only slightly injured
• play is stopped if, in the opinion of the referee, a player is seriously injured...
...Exceptions to this ruling are to be made only when:
• players from the same team have collided and need immediate attention
The next bullet point covers severe injuries 'swallowed tongue, concussion, broken leg' so with the difference in phrasing and it being listed as an exception to the 'seriously injured' ruling, I would assume 'immediate attention', refers to any less serious treatment required before the player can return to the field. Obviously incredibly subjective though.

I still haven't seen the Barca incident so have no idea if they've got a point. The frustration's understandable but going public with the complaint never looks good. Suck it up and move on.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I've been trying to sort this out with a Barca supporter and would love some help, I can see the bit in the rules that LoveinAsylum posted which I guess they could argue about.

I don't think eithier player needed 'immediate attention' as both were very keen to come back on 30 seconds later.

But where is this mysterious rule that says if 2 players from the same team are injured you have to let both back immediately? I can't find it anywhere.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I've been trying to sort this out with a Barca supporter and would love some help, I can see the bit in the rules that LoveinAsylum posted which I guess they could argue about.

I don't think eithier player needed 'immediate attention' as both were very keen to come back on 30 seconds later.

But where is this mysterious rule that says if 2 players from the same team are injured you have to let both back immediately? I can't find it anywhere.
I can't find it directly in the Laws but here's piece of a referee test schedule:
http://www.referee101.com/grade-56-recertification-test-study-guide/8/

Players who are injured are required to leave the field under either of two conditions: The referee has stopped play due solely to the occurrence of a serious injury or the referee signals approval for anyone (team official, medical personnel, etc.) to enter the field to attend to an injury (regardless of whether that person enters to assist or not and regardless of why play was stopped). Goalkeepers are exempt from this requirement, along with any field player who may also have been injured as a result of a collision with the goalkeeper, as well as teammates who collide.

I believe the teammates exemption was added in 2012, the keeper exception has been there for much longer.

Any refs around to say where that rule/guideline comes from? And why, assuming it exists, it wasn't applied.

Proud_Lyon

Banned Cnut
I can't find it directly in the Laws but here's piece of a referee test schedule:
http://www.referee101.com/grade-56-recertification-test-study-guide/8/

Players who are injured are required to leave the field under either of two conditions: The referee has stopped play due solely to the occurrence of a serious injury or the referee signals approval for anyone (team official, medical personnel, etc.) to enter the field to attend to an injury (regardless of whether that person enters to assist or not and regardless of why play was stopped). Goalkeepers are exempt from this requirement, along with any field player who may also have been injured as a result of a collision with the goalkeeper, as well as teammates who collide.

I believe the teammates exemption was added in 2012, the keeper exception has been there for much longer.

Any refs around to say where that rule/guideline comes from? And why, assuming it exists, it wasn't applied.
Ask yourself the question as to why Zlatan is the only one in European Cup history to have had a ban overturned by UEFA, and you will get your response. There is no doubt that Platini has had a great deal to say in both situations.

RK

From my take of the rules, which certainly aren't clear-cut, the referee was correct to allow play on (if he didn't believe the injury was serious) but incorrect to force them to leave the field.