Barcelona: Charged with corruption .... again!

FreckBarca

Supports
Espanyol
The banks accepted (fixed rate, no guarantees outside of the money generated by the project, no collateral) because they are sure that there will not be the almost impossible case that Barcelona enters less than €100M per year. The expected with the new stadium is €350M+.
Those €350M+ include the income generated by the new Palau, right?

I haven't followed this closely but I understood that the loan didn't specifically include funds for the construction of the new Palau although the board said the Palau is included.

If they really plan to cover the €400M for the construction of the new Palau with the €200M of the construction contingency, it mght not go as smoothly as planned.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Those €350M+ include the income generated by the new Palau, right?

I haven't followed this closely but I understood that the loan didn't specifically include funds for the construction of the new Palau although the board said the Palau is included.

If they really plan to cover the €400M for the construction of the new Palau with the €200M of the construction contingency, it mght not go as smoothly as planned.
I think the €350M is just from the football stadium.

In those €1,450M is not the new Palau. In the assembly of the members it was approved that the football stadium should be there and the new Palau had to be on that loan.

And as the directors of the club could not say that the Palau was not there, because they would not comply with what was agreed in the assembly. So they started with half-truths.

It is said that those €200M contingencies were an obligation of those who lent the money. If that's so, that money can't be touched until the new stadium is finished. Therefore the Palau would not be built until at least 3 years from now.

FreckBarca

Supports
Espanyol
I think the €350M is just from the football stadium.

In those €1,450M is not the new Palau. In the assembly of the members it was approved that the football stadium should be there and the new Palau had to be on that loan.

And as the directors of the club could not say that the Palau was not there, because they would not comply with what was agreed in the assembly. So they started with half-truths.

It is said that those €200M contingencies were an obligation of those who lent the money. If that's so, that money can't be touched until the new stadium is finished. Therefore the Palau would not be built until at least 3 years from now.
That would make sense. Something weird is happening with the new Palau and the board is being confusing trying to avoid it.
I thought the Palau was essential to the new project and the expected income.

Barça estimates that the new Espai Barça will generate about 347 million annually --176 kilos more than the current turnover--, although today the figure is only an approximation.
Here you say that income is for the whole Espai (including the Palau). Frankly, I am not sure how the football stadium would generate €176M€ just from 6.000 more seats.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
To be honest, the very fine details our out of my range of expertise since these FTA structuring are only used in spain (we have smilar ways to structure deals but the spanish system is unique if you get into details).

But the statement is indeed misleading
That would make sense. Something weird is happening with the new Palau and the board is being confusing trying to avoid it.
I thought the Palau was essential to the new project and the expected income.

Here you say that income is for the whole Espai (including the Palau). Frankly, I am not sure how the football stadium would generate €176M€ just from 6.000 more seats.
Link

There is a cheese that shows the proportion of where the new income will come from.

They will also go from 2,000 VIP boxes to 6,000-7000.

FreckBarca

Supports
Espanyol
Link

There is a cheese that shows the proportion of where the new income will come from.

They will also go from 2,000 VIP boxes to 6,000-7000.
Ok, so as I understand it: it is estimated the new Spai Barca (the whole project) will generate some €350M. Of those €94M go to paying the loan.

So far it looks like the loan (€1500M without interests and €2800M including them) doesn't cover the whole project, only the renovation of the football stadium. As a source of income it will create 4-5.000 VIP boxes and increase the total capacity by 6.000 new seats.

Am I missing something here?

According to cheese diagram from your article 15% of the €350M income comes from meetings and events which is what I think the new Palau was key for. This new Palau seems to not be included in the loan.

Apart from the Palau, wasn't the Petit Palau, the Pista de Gel, and a bus station also included in the project or did I miss something?

Last edited:

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Ok, so as I understand it: it is estimated the new Spai Barca (the whole project) will generate some €350M. Of those €94M go to paying the loan.

So far it looks like the loan (€1500M without interests and €2800M including them) doesn't cover the whole project, only the renovation of the football stadium. As a source of income it will create 4-5.000 VIP boxes and increase the total capacity by 6.000 new seats.

Am I missing something here?

According to cheese diagram from your article 15% of the €350M income comes from meetings and events which is what I think the new Palau was key for. This new Palau seems to not be included in the loan.

Apart from the Palau, wasn't the Petit Palau, the Pista de Gel, and a bus station also included in the project or did I miss something?
It's confusing. Above the cheese puts "the income generated for the new Spotify Camp Nou".
And below it says "the additional income that is expected to be generated with the finished Espai Barça".
I hope more information comes out for you to clarify these things.

And the Espai Barça was: Camp Nou (900 million), new Palau Blaugrana + PalauPetit + Pista de Gel (420), Urbanization + Campus (100), Modification of the General Metropolitan Plan (60) and Estadi Johan Cruyff (20).

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I was watching back the highlights of Chelsea vs Barcelona the other day and some of the decisions at Stamford Bridge just cannot be explained. I remember the drama back then of course but it does make you wonder considering this is a club willing to pay for favourable decisions in La Liga. They really had no business to be in that final and it makes me reconsider the legacy of that Pep team and if it’s actually deserved.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
I was watching back the highlights of Chelsea vs Barcelona the other day and some of the decisions at Stamford Bridge just cannot be explained. I remember the drama back then of course but it does make you wonder considering this is a club willing to pay for favourable decisions in La Liga. They really had no business to be in that final and it makes me reconsider the legacy of that Pep team and if it’s actually deserved.
It was a great team, but yeah that game vs Chelsea in Stamford Bridge they struggled a lot, it was basically their worst performance in the entire run, a proper smash and grab.

GinobiliTheGOAT

Chelsea absolutely got hard done but there was a lot of nonsense calls against Barca in the first leg for what it is worth:

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
In the semifinals of the following year Inter Milan was favored with several decisions and thanks to this they reached the final.

To me the result of a tie does not make me change my mind about the legacy of any team.

It seems to me that your post is to seek discussion between Barcelona fans and others.
Without coming from any kind of previous conversation, you put a mixture of the tie of Chelsea, Barcelona buys referees in the League and the legacy of that team of Pep.

Cal?

CR7 fan
In the semifinals of the following year Inter Milan was favored with several decisions and thanks to this they reached the final.

To me the result of a tie does not make me change my mind about the legacy of any team.

It seems to me that your post is to seek discussion between Barcelona fans and others.
Without coming from any kind of previous conversation, you put a mixture of the tie of Chelsea, Barcelona buys referees in the League and the legacy of that team of Pep.
This one?

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Linesman was clearly just lagging.
In all fairness, it's probably the central ref's fault. They're obviously having a conversation in their in-ear devices and the linesman didn't raise his flag because he tought the ball was from a header of a Barcelona player and the main ref probably told him it was from Osasuna. Hard to see what really happened on the video but it looks like a wrong call.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Mateu Alemany will leave Barcelona after summer market to start a new project.

The most important loss of Barcelona without a doubt, one of the best sports directors in the world.

It is rumoured that he may go to Aston Villa.

FreckBarca

Supports
Espanyol
According to this article La Liga didn't sanction Barca for the Neymar case after Barca gave a loan of €4.7M with an initial contribution of €230k to Tebas (La Liga president) who needed it after a tax inspection.

Tebas has answered via Twitter and said that the information is not correct but frankly I can't understand his arguments. He says more clubs were involved (the clubs that form the G35 which I don't know what it is) and that Madrid was the only team of those 35 to dodge this affair. He also said that he already gave the pertinent explanations to the Higher Sports Council and the Anti-Corruption Prosecutor's Office in 2020. This is his twitter account in case anyone wants to read it from the man himself.

Last edited:

colombianmancunian

They didn’t deserve to play that final. Cheating cnuts.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Drogba was completely correct. It was a disgrace and yeah, given how dodgy Barca have proven themselves to be it does leave one wondering. Sucks because their team was amazing.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
Mateu Alemany will leave Barcelona after summer market to start a new project.

The most important loss of Barcelona without a doubt, one of the best sports directors in the world.

It is rumoured that he may go to Aston Villa.
That's really bad news. I doubt anyone would have cleaned up Bartomeu's pigsty better than him. I'd rather lose an important player than him to be honest.
At least he will work on this summer window, according to the club the last difficult one in terms of ffp.

edit:
That would be a stupid reason, especially because we don't even know if LaLiga allows his return.
Laporta you had one job..... :(

Last edited:

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
That's really bad news. I doubt anyone would have cleaned up Bartomeu's pigsty better than him. I'd rather lose an important player than him to be honest.
At least he will work on this summer window, according to the club the last difficult one in terms of ffp.

edit:
That would be a stupid reason, especially because we don't even know if LaLiga allows his return.

Yes, it's going to be a major loss. He is the best negotiator there can be. In addition to implementing a salary scale in the team.

He was the only reason I wasn't so bothered that Laporta won.

Media say Aston Villa's offer is impressive.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Apparently Newcastle made a verbal offer for Raphinha of €80M but the player in principle does not want to leave.
It would be a major sale for the FFP.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
Apparently Newcastle made a verbal offer for Raphinha of €80M but the player in principle does not want to leave.
It would be a major sale for the FFP.
Laporta would carry him personally on his back to England for that amount. It sounds too good to be true. Maybe the club starts fake rumors through the media to increase his market value. Raphina isn't bad, he is better than Torres and Fati by a mile, but still I'd value him around €40-50m today.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Laporta would carry him personally on his back to England for that amount. It sounds too good to be true. Maybe the club starts fake rumors through the media to increase his market value. Raphina isn't bad, he is better than Torres and Fati by a mile, but still I'd value him around €40-50m today.
If the offer is true the problem could be the player refusing to leave the club.
This summer we need another clean of 4-6 players and raise money for the club's economic stability.
With the arrival of free players and those returning from loan plus a RB, the team would be fine for next year.

CampNou

Supports
FC Barcelona
Spanish third division
You (or the Twitter poster) don't watch a lot of 1RFEF (the official name). There are dozens of wrong calls like this every weekend. Refereeing is very bad in that instance (and obviously, not VAR).

Linesman is correct at first, the main referee tells that who hits the ball is from Osasuna (wrong) and then he raises the flag.

Yes, it's going to be a major loss. He is the best negotiator there can be. In addition to implementing a salary scale in the team.

He was the only reason I wasn't so bothered that Laporta won.

Media say Aston Villa's offer is impressive.
For me, him leaving is not the worst byt itself... for me the worse is the "tendency". Reverter and Alemany were the main reasons I didn't care if Laporta or anybody else was in the Presidency. They were very good professionals both in the business and sport areas. Them leaving is very worrying.

I was watching back the highlights of Chelsea vs Barcelona the other day and some of the decisions at Stamford Bridge just cannot be explained. I remember the drama back then of course but it does make you wonder considering this is a club willing to pay for favorable decisions in La Liga. They really had no business to be in that final and it makes me reconsider the legacy of that Pep team and if it’s actually deserved.
Once in a while, we always have this kind of post... curious how the 1st leg is never mentioned (1 crystal clear pen and 2 more than deserved red cards forgiven), Abidal's red card in 2nd leg or forgiven Essien red card, the robbery in the Chelsea 4-2 Barca (2005 if I recall correctly) or, as we are in a United forum, the Rooney's offside in the 2011 final (1-1 at that moment). Selective memory.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo

"The club has achieved €120M in savings between cuts and new income.
€80M left to reach the goal and be able to register players normally."

This journalist is Tier 1.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea

edit:
Messi isn’t going back. Man’s going to Saudi.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
"The club has achieved €120M in savings between cuts and new income.
€80M left to reach the goal and be able to register players normally."

This journalist is Tier 1.
€80m will be difficult to generate until the deadline, June 30th if I'm not wrong.
Barca needs to sell either one key player or 2 good players to get €80m. One of Raphina, Torres, Fati has to go for sure. I read that Aston Villa thinks about Torres now. Could also be just Barca spreading those news to increase their market value.
Dest and Lenglet have high salaries, so they will not leave for a high fee, if at all. Then we have also Kessie, Alba, Garcia, Alonso as potential departures. But neither player wants to leave according to journalists. Alba will stay 100%, because he's owed €30m in his last year and he loves the life in Barcelona. Xavi counts on all other players and I doubt they'll be on the market, maybe only for an exceptional offer.
Alemany needs another masterclass performance to collect those €80m in the next 2 months.

Mshafeek

Chelsea absolutely got hard done but there was a lot of nonsense calls against Barca in the first leg for what it is worth:

It's clear both teams had genuine grievances over 2 legs. Chelsea cannot claim to be the only one hard done by, as the abidal red card could have really been not given.
The thing that gets me most though are people - even after all the experiences like the game above - would still argue that VAR is unnecessary and should be scrapped even, because it isn't perfect. The truth is that a good percentage of major games pre-VAR can be scrutinized and shown to be containing many potential wrong calls that could've changed the game. VAR was just a natural, progressive consequence of the impossibility of reducing these kind of blatant errors.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
LaLiga presented the economic report of the 2021/22 campaign and during the event, Javier Tebas and Javier Gómez explained that LaLiga gave the OK to Barcelona's levers for a value of 500 million euros, but with a condition.

That condition was to have the obligation to present 250 million euros of profits in this 2022/23 campaign. Javier Gómez explained that if Barcelona does not present those 250 million euros of profit, its spending limit for next season will fall and that reduction will be the difference between the profit figure presented by Barcelona and the 250 million demanded by LaLiga.

Anustart89

LaLiga presented the economic report of the 2021/22 campaign and during the event, Javier Tebas and Javier Gómez explained that LaLiga gave the OK to Barcelona's levers for a value of 500 million euros, but with a condition.

That condition was to have the obligation to present 250 million euros of profits in this 2022/23 campaign. Javier Gómez explained that if Barcelona does not present those 250 million euros of profit, its spending limit for next season will fall and that reduction will be the difference between the profit figure presented by Barcelona and the 250 million demanded by LaLiga.
And suddenly a moustached fellow named Loan Japorta will announce that Loan Japorta LLC has signed a 250 million partnership with Barca to feature on the inside of the shirt collar.

FreckBarca

Supports
Espanyol
And suddenly a moustached fellow named Loan Japorta will announce that Loan Japorta LLC has signed a 250 million partnership with Barca to feature on the inside of the shirt collar.
Loan Japorta is just too good :lol: :lol:

NLunited

Read the thread title. Take discussions of Barça‘s financial woes elsewhere.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
According to journalists, Busquets is leaving at the end of the season and will end his career in Saudi Arabia. Money lures them all in the end. I expect Messi also to join Al-Hilal, their offer with €400+m/y is far too lucrative to reject and with Sergio, he will even have a friend over there. Barca's treasurer will be happy, because another huge salary leaves the club. But it will be impossible to replace him, because his skillset was always unique. Xavi needs to find someone who complements with Frenkie.

The most underrated player from our golden generation. Barca couldn't have created or wished for a better pivot for their system. Thank you Sergio!

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
According to journalists, Busquets is leaving at the end of the season and will end his career in Saudi Arabia. Money lures them all in the end. I expect Messi also to join Al-Hilal, their offer with €400+m/y is far too lucrative to reject and with Sergio, he will even have a friend over there. Barca's treasurer will be happy, because another huge salary leaves the club. But it will be impossible to replace him, because his skillset was always unique. Xavi needs to find someone who complements with Frenkie.

The most underrated player from our golden generation. Barca couldn't have created or wished for a better pivot for their system. Thank you Sergio!

I hope Alba accompanies him, next year he has a gigantic salary and it would be very good to save an important part.