Barcelona: Charged with corruption .... again!

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Genuine question, if they had decided to sell Messi last year for 100 million, would they would pretty much still be the same boat now or would things look a bit more healthy?

Selling Messi last year would mean any money gained would be lost in Messi related sponsorships apparentaly? So either way they would still be screwed?
Exactly, they wasted almost a billion on players that disappointed, and that is their big trouble. Messi might balance the cost and revenue he causes the club, but Coutinho, Dembele, Griezmann etc surely don't.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Does anyone know what the news about the credit rating mean?
It means exactly what the thread title says, they are on the brink, also in regard of trust in their financial situation. Should the rating get even one step worse, they will have massive trouble to get new credits, that could really crush them. Still getting some kind of B rating means they are still staring in the abyss, but at least are not yet falling down.

choccy77

It means exactly what the thread title says, they are on the brink, also in regard of trust in their financial situation. Should the rating get even one step worse, they will have massive trouble to get new credits, that could really crush them. Still getting some kind of B rating means they are still staring in the abyss, but at least are not yet falling down.
Also, it means that at this stage, the creditors are not going to call in their markers which would kill the club.

It also means there are possibilities to refinance although that can change pretty quickly if they are unable to release pressure and debt by selling players / reducing wages

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Good. Hope Barca goes bust. Madrid, you're next. Let's have some actual competition that's fair and on a level playing field.
The amazing things you can read on the Internet my god. :lol:

Does anyone know what the news about the credit rating mean?
They are on the very last step of the ladder of what's considered investment grade. Drop one more and they officially become junk and it will cost them a lot more and be harder to raise money from banks and investors.

To be honest most football clubs are pretty ropey by normal financial standards. They're not some special case here.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
So, any club who wants to loan him, will have to pay a (minimum of) €528,000? For a 30 year old.
No, @dinostar77 thinks that no one would pay more than 40% of his salary, which comes down to €352k/w, assuming his €880k/w salary is correct:

Griezmann is on 880€ a week according to this site.

https://fcbarcelonalatestnews.com/fc-barcelona-players-wages/

Hes 30 years old. Who on earth is going to pay him that salary and why would he take a pay cut? He wont. Even if he went on loan with no obligation to buy Barcelona would still have to pay 60% of his salary.

No a chance in a covid environment anyone does that deal.
Every top club, including Man utd would be lining up to get him if that's the only cost. It'd be closer to your (misunderstood) number.

His age is irrelevant if it's a loan, so I don't understand why you're bringing it up.

about £250k/week and a £10m loan fee.. still very expensive.. but if someone needs a short terms striker and cant find anyone else..
Why would they ask a loan fee if they need to decrease the wage bill as much as possible?

Arios

Supports
Juventus
Good. Hope Barca goes bust. Madrid, you're next. Let's have some actual competition that's fair and on a level playing field.
and then what about PL getting 7b while Bundes barely or less than 2b per year?
how would you define the competition if your competitors get 3-4times of what you get?

prateik

Why would they ask a loan fee if they need to decrease the wage bill as much as possible?
I'm saying a club wanting him on loan could justify those wages in that way.. the cost would be equivalent to that loan fee/ 250k wages.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Utd having had a few technical midgets over the years must've given some on here a wrong impression of La Liga. Barca can't play some 17 year old against Varane,
Well, they could, and they did, and he burned Varane and scored, too :lol:

But then he shredded his knee and suffered several complications during the recovery, needed multiple surgeries and it's now unclear when he'll be back or how...

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
No, @dinostar77 thinks that no one would pay more than 40% of his salary, which comes down to €352k/w, assuming his €880k/w salary is correct:
Ahh, I thought you/Dino meant Barca would pay 40%. You meant another club would only pay 40%.

So, on those numbers/assumption, if he went on loan, Barca would pay c€500k a week for a player playing for another club?

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Ahh, I thought you/Dino meant Barca would pay 40%. You meant another club would only pay 40%.

So, on those numbers/assumption, if he went on loan, Barca would pay c€500k a week for a player playing for another club?
Well, no, I think it would be closer to your number. Paying him €350k/w to play for another club sounds silly, but it's €450k/w off their wage bill. Sunken cost fallacy.

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
Says the Bayern fan unironically
that’s rich coming from a Bayern fan who constantly pillage bundesliga :lol:
The amazing things you can read on the Internet my god. :lol:
Bayern doesn't have a billion in debt. Laugh all you want, but there's a difference between a club being a billion in debt, playing literally above their level, and a club with sound finances buying players. Same old, same old, Bayern pillaging the Bundesliga. Get a new record... it's not like Dortmund and the others are playing for peanuts.

and then what about PL getting 7b while Bundes barely or less than 2b per year?
how would you define the competition if your competitors get 3-4times of what you get?
Can't say anything about the PL. Their clubs aren't a billion in debt. Do I despise outside money injections from Russian oligarchs or Arab Sheikhs? Sure. But at least they have the cash. Is it despicable? Absolutely. Wonder why Ajax doesn't have a shot at any international title anymore? PSV? Porto? Benfica? Used to be a time when those clubs had not just a theoretical chance. Bayern will eventually fold and vanish into the same fate that all the clubs I mentioned are already in. Why? Not because they run the club worse... it's simply a war of atrition. And Bayern's streak is a feeble attempt to keep up. But you can only sell so many jersey's to try and keep up with Wall Street trying to corrupt European sports into a bastardized version of US sports. With Russian money, with Sheikh money.

And when football doesn't mean which club is better but which billionaire, American company or slave owner dishes out more money, maybe you'll realise why our sport is getting hollow and where all the corruption is coming from. Super League? Yeah, if you want to change that, you might want to change the way money is thrown around in our sport. Maybe dial it back a notch to more realistic levels. We're outspending the NBA, ffs. The top ten players of the NBA had a lifetime earning of what, 50 million bucks? Messi earns about half a BILLION in 4 years?

And you think this is normal?

Yeah, keep laughing. It ain't funny, though.

Tacitus56AD

Supports
Bayern Munich
Bayern doesn't have a billion in debt. Laugh all you want, but there's a difference between a club being a billion in debt, playing literally above their level, and a club with sound finances buying players. Same old, same old, Bayern pillaging the Bundesliga. Get a new record... it's not like Dortmund and the others are playing for peanuts.

Can't say anything about the PL. Their clubs aren't a billion in debt. Do I despise outside money injections from Russian oligarchs or Arab Sheikhs? Sure. But at least they have the cash. Is it despicable? Absolutely. Wonder why Ajax doesn't have a shot at any international title anymore? PSV? Porto? Benfica? Used to be a time when those clubs had not just a theoretical chance. Bayern will eventually fold and vanish into the same fate that all the clubs I mentioned are already in. Why? Not because they run the club worse... it's simply a war of atrition. And Bayern's streak is a feeble attempt to keep up. But you can only sell so many jersey's to try and keep up with Wall Street trying to corrupt European sports into a bastardized version of US sports. With Russian money, with Sheikh money.

And when football doesn't mean which club is better but which billionaire, American company or slave owner dishes out more money, maybe you'll realise why our sport is getting hollow and where all the corruption is coming from. Super League? Yeah, if you want to change that, you might want to change the way money is thrown around in our sport. Maybe dial it back a notch to more realistic levels. We're outspending the NBA, ffs. The top ten players of the NBA had a lifetime earning of what, 50 million bucks? Messi earns about half a BILLION in 4 years?

The saddest thing about United-fans pointing fingers at bayern for being the best in their country and considering the top 3 in europe their competition is that you guys used to be the bayern of your country.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona

Lebron James is a billionaire, Kevin Durant is worth a few hundred million as well. the bundesliga is the least competitive league of the last decade by a wide margin. When the second best team is a farm team for Bayern any talk of “competitive fairness” is a straight up joke.

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
Lebron James is a billionaire, Kevin Durant is worth a few hundred million as well. the bundesliga is the least competitive league of the last decade by a wide margin. When the second best team is a farm team for Bayern any talk of “competitive fairness” is a straight up joke.
I feel like you shouldn't even be commenting, Mr. Billion Euro debt club. You don't have much to offer here.

RedDevilzFox

I feel like you shouldn't even be commenting, Mr. Billion Euro debt club. You don't have much to offer here.
Wasn't Bayern's new stadium was basically gov subsidized for them?? I am sure I read that somewhere sometime ago. Honest question.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
neither do you, completely ruined the bundesliga and you’ve given one incredibly asinine take after another

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
Wasn't Bayern's new stadium was basically gov subsidized for them?? I am sure I read that somewhere sometime ago. Honest question.
Nope. Bayern financed the stadium together with their city rival 1860 Munich. Once 1860 got relegated and ran into financial problems, Bayern bought them out. I'm sure someone will find that tasty enough to turn it into another pillage story, but there you go... apparently sound financial management is only worth getting shat on here...

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
neither do you, completely ruined the bundesliga and you’ve given one incredibly asinine take after another
Ruined the Bundesliga? That's funny... I'm not going to entertain your madness, you've had your minute of fame with me. Bye now.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Ruined the Bundesliga? That's funny... I'm not going to entertain your madness, you've had your minute of fame with me. Bye now.
Most lopsided league in all of Europe. Your rant against how “little” the top ten in the NBA make was also way off.

fact check first because you are getting clowned with some of the most bizarre takes this forum has ever seen.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
The saddest thing about United-fans pointing fingers at bayern for being the best in their country and considering the top 3 in europe their competition is that you guys used to be the bayern of your country.
No, not quite, United did have domestic competition, even at their most dominant they would only win 3 league titles in a row, what is Bayern at now, 9?

Besides, even though Liverpool were down in the mud for a good while, they were pretty much comparable in size.

There is no competition in Bundesliga for the top spot, Ligue 1 is more competitive, no joke.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
No, not quite, United did have domestic competition, even at their most dominant they would only win 3 league titles in a row, what is Bayern at now, 9?

Besides, even though Liverpool were down in the mud for a good while, they were pretty much comparable in size.

There is no competition in Bundesliga for the top spot, Ligue 1 is more competitive, no joke.
United under SAF was as dominant as Bayern in the same period. But in the last decade Bayerns dominance massively increased, while United's is completely gone. Nonetheless both operate with revenue they actually have, and Barcelona do not (to come back to the actual topic here).

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp

I have time for this post. A lot of it.

TheReligion

Abusive
So basically the Bundesliga is the 90s PL is what you're saying

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
To be fair to Bayern, they're probably the best run club in Europe. Never overspend, don't take on massive debt, scout their players throughly and kept well out of the Super League as they has enough foresight to see the sh*tshow coming down the line.

Only thing you can really complain about them is that they love to keep the draw bridge firmly up as they were one of the biggest proponents of FFP (which was a pure cartel system) and they blatantly tap up other players in their league/use their leverage in quite a cynical way. They are also arrogant. I mean how some of their players and staff talk about RBL is pretty annoying as all they have tried to do is also become a well run club; although even there that talking down of RBL seems to be pretty much said by most of the old West German teams.

Tacitus56AD

Supports
Bayern Munich
So basically the Bundesliga is the 90s PL is what you're saying
The Bundesliga is(it tries to be) what PL was before money corrupted the game, not just your game but all our game. Hard to tell if the PL is a football league or a modern money laundering scheme to some owners. The term sportswashing certainly was not arround back then right?
Bayern is the only club standing in the way of some energy-drink celebrating a Bundesliga-title. If you are a real footballfan you just know who to root for, ten in a row or not, "BDL" or not.
But funny enough that an arsenal-fan out of all brought this up, they are one of the clubs suffering the most from this so called competition.

Anyway...I think this is way off-topic now. So let`s get back to the downfall of barca before we talk downfall of football again.

Last edited:

RedDevilzFox

Nope. Bayern financed the stadium together with their city rival 1860 Munich. Once 1860 got relegated and ran into financial problems, Bayern bought them out. I'm sure someone will find that tasty enough to turn it into another pillage story, but there you go... apparently sound financial management is only worth getting shat on here...
You are right although I swear I'd read BM paid like peanuts for the stadium overall. It was largely subsidized.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

:lol: Yeah but you said that this is a good thing as it's time we had ACTUAL competitors which, given the state of thr Bundesliga, is a moronic thing to say

Besides, debt is a part of business. Barca's has gone out of control due to their inept previous regime but it's hardly as though business' don't leverage their brand value to get financed. At least they did it after dominating on the pitch. The problem is thay Bartrmeu and co were utterly incompetent