Barcelona: Charged with corruption .... again!

cyberman

bribing the head of the refs absolutely deserves punishment, but the point of the trial is to highlight what the money was for. Is it for money laundering? Which would carry its own punishment. If it’s for getting an advantage over the rest of the league and giving Barca favor over the rest of the league that is a different/more serious punishment.
But this says otherwise. They dont have to prove what games were rigged.

The instructor of the Negreira case, Judge Joaquín Aguirre, has just issued an order in which he maintains that FC Barcelona's payments to the former vice-president of the Technical Committee of Referees (CTA) José María Enríquez Negreira would constitute an alleged bribery crime, a criminal type that does not require proving the adulteration of specific matches and that contemplates more serious sentences than the crime of corruption between individuals that was attributed until now to those investigated.

GinobiliTheGOAT

But this says otherwise. They dont have to prove what games were rigged.

The instructor of the Negreira case, Judge Joaquín Aguirre, has just issued an order in which he maintains that FC Barcelona's payments to the former vice-president of the Technical Committee of Referees (CTA) José María Enríquez Negreira would constitute an alleged bribery crime, a criminal type that does not require proving the adulteration of specific matches and that contemplates more serious sentences than the crime of corruption between individuals that was attributed until now to those investigated.
Sure, but as bad of an offense as that would be, the punishment would be a lot more severe should they find direct proof of match tampering. This is why they opted for bribery accusations since finding hard evidence of match fixing will be much harder to prove.

Bribery fall out could lead to a very big fine, and if Barca are guilty I have always said punish them to the max. But I’d be surprised if the punishment would be bigger than had they found actual evidence of match fixing

hence why we have to have a trial and everything otherwise it would be a very quick open and shut case

Dr. StrangeHate

Pep definitely knows how to pick his clubs
He is a ruthless winner. He is the greatest coach of all time but on top of that he still needs to go to clubs that cheat to ensure there is no chance left of failure. It is like his football, do everything on (and off) the pitch to win, use the dark arts, take chance out of the game with full control on (and off) the pitch.

cyberman

Sure, but as bad of an offense as that would be, the punishment would be a lot more severe should they find direct proof of match tampering. This is why they opted for bribery accusations since finding hard evidence of match fixing will be much harder to prove.

Bribery fall out could lead to a very big fine, and if Barca are guilty I have always said punish them to the max. But I’d be surprised if the punishment would be bigger than had they found actual evidence of match fixing

hence why we have to have a trial and everything otherwise it would be a very quick open and shut case
I don’t think this is true. UEFA and FIFA need direct evidence in absence of anything else because they don’t have the authority to investigate in this manner. Every bit of evidence that prosecutors find is more evidence that UEFA didn’t have.
United could bribe an official to beat Palace this weekend and simply not not need it. Bribery is more than enough

GeneralKenobi

It’s not fine, but it needs to be shown what effect it had on the matches themselves.
The club is being charged with cohecho. That crime is committed just by giving money, gifts, ect to a public authority. No effect needed.

I read the jury will be comprised of people from Barcelona. Watch them be found not guilty by a bunch of culers and socios.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
The club is being charged with cohecho. That crime is committed just by giving money, gifts, ect to a public authority. No effect needed.

I read the jury will be comprised of people from Barcelona. Watch them be found not guilty by a bunch of culers and socios.
Espanyol fans to the rescue!

GinobiliTheGOAT

I just want to know what the money was used for. You’d think it would cost a lot more than 7M over 20 years to influence the matches. Very curious to see how this trial plays out.

Espanyol fans to the rescue!
Barca can join them in la liga’s second division :lol:

RoyH1

I just want to know what the money was used for. You’d think it would cost a lot more than 7M over 20 years to influence the matches. Very curious to see how this trial plays out.

Barca can join them in la liga’s second division :lol:
What they were doing nudging things so that Barsa "friendly" referees kept on being promoted in the ranks and in general creating a Barca friendly culture in the referee sphere. There is no crazy smoking gun, it's a lot more subtle than that. It's still wrong and every fan outside of the Barsa **** hopes that it never happens again.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
What they were doing nudging things so that Barsa "friendly" referees kept on being promoted in the ranks and in general creating a Barca friendly culture in the referee sphere. There is no crazy smoking gun, it's a lot more subtle than that. It's still wrong and every fan outside of the Barsa **** hopes that it never happens again.
I think you're onto something there. Look at how low some of the payments in politics and p2w *seem* to be in some corruption cases. What it doesn't account for however is the non tangibles or direct monetary rewards such as favorable treatment in getting positions, contracts, being offered travel and other items that aren't a direct form of payment or can be more easily hidden, etc. It's the way some of the upper crest continues to ensure family and friends stay at that level - because by the time you get a layers away from the person, let alone a generation or two: it may as well be white washing.

Tibs

To me there was no doubt, but this just confirms Ronaldo is the GOAT

Robertd0803

It is ridiculous that the football world acts normally with what is going on with City and Barca. The life goes on for these two clubs as normal but in reality, they should be banned as institutions from all sorts of activities let alone football related.
Exactly.

At the very least United and Liverpool should be hammering down the doors of the FA demanding to know why City havent been thrown out of the football league. The 2 biggest clubs in English football, may as well use that to put pressure on the FA at least. Not to mention every other team that has been affected by their cheating. (So pretty much everyone).

Same with Madrid and La Liga.

tomaldinho1

Should be in the City thread, but that story is disgraceful. The UK government should not be discussing this and the UAE should absolutely not be discussing this, since they’re allegedly not involved in the club.
Since the Der Spiegel leaks I think the UAE have given up the pretence to be honest.

I don’t really see much alternative if they’re guilty than stripping titles in that period that can be linked back to this referee body. Disgraceful club.

Dr. StrangeHate

Since the Der Spiegel leaks I think the UAE have given up the pretence to be honest.

I don’t really see much alternative if they’re guilty than stripping titles in that period that can be linked back to this referee body. Disgraceful club.
Bribing referees is much worse than the financial cheating that City have done. This should be the biggest story in football for sure.

RoyH1

Add PSG's convenient sales to the Qatari league, the Saudi investments. City's could literally say out loud: " yes, we want to win everything and are willing to spend big to make it happen, what's the problem?" and everyone in Fifa and Uefa would just shrug their shoulder because they want their slice of the pie and oil state money makes the pie much bigger.

colombianmancunian

Hope the most cnutish team in history gets relegated and stripped of the titles they won by cheating.
feck FC Levers Negreira, team of cnuts.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
Hope the most cnutish team in history gets relegated and stripped of the titles they won by cheating.
feck FC Levers Negreira, team of cnuts.
If they were to strip all the titles, that would mean the likes of Messi/Xavi/Iniesta would not have any titles to their names. Barca as a club would suddenly lose 20years worth of accolades. Zero chance they get stripped of titles and relegation is out of the question as well.

If they are found guilty, and that is a big if I don’t see happening, at most they’ll get some points deducted.

tomaldinho1

If they were to strip all the titles, that would mean the likes of Messi/Xavi/Iniesta would not have any titles to their names. Barca as a club would suddenly lose 20years worth of accolades. Zero chance they get stripped of titles and relegation is out of the question as well.

If they are found guilty, and that is a big if I don’t see happening, at most they’ll get some points deducted.
Retrospective titles being stripped doesn’t really punish them. They’ve already celebrated and repeated the rewards from a commercial and reputational standpoint.

Just knock down the Nou Camp and sell for scrap.

ColvaleGoa

The reason Madrid are not all in hammering Barca might be because they know they need Barca , in kind of a obscene way to make La Liga work. Otherwise it will just end up being like PSG and French league

SuperiorXI

The reason Madrid are not all in hammering Barca might be because they know they need Barca , in kind of a obscene way to make La Liga work. Otherwise it will just end up being like PSG and French league
Why do they need them? Look at City in the PL, not arsed that their unmatchable wealth & cheating is making a mockery of the league.

Woodzy

This will be news again for about a week and then everyone will go back to not caring, meanwhile Barca continue on their way to becoming a real force again when they really should be in the bin.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Or they did the same thing and don't want to tempt fate.

RoyH1

Or they did the same thing and don't want to tempt fate.
Nah. That's not it. They know that due to the politics of the sport and the recent history of Spain that if they start hammering the point, every single politician in Catalonia (and the left leaning press in general) is going to claim that it's all a conspiracy cooked by Florentino Pérez. The latter is almost ascribed supernatural powers and is talked about as a cross between George Soros, the freemasons and Franco's ghost.

GeneralKenobi

We are!!
Actually Real Madrid has applied for and been granted the condition of prosecution in this process. The judge said every la Liga team in the last 20 years could also be part of the process as part of the prosecution, but only Real did it.

Atlético, on the other hand, has been very mild about this, almost protective of Barcelona

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
This will be news again for about a week and then everyone will go back to not caring, meanwhile Barca continue on their way to becoming a real force again when they really should be in the bin.
I haven't even read what they're meant to have done for this very reason.

A bit like how every summer they apparently can't register any new players, yet somehow once the season starts they're all there.

Partridge

In an ideal world, barcelona would be punished to the maximum, and a banner made, for when the renovation is complete that read: Barcelona: Mes Que Un Cheating fecktards. Other than that, 6 to 10 point reduction and no champions league would suffice.

Yagami

Good post resistant
It's a shame we've been robbed of a few big trophies by cheats. A couple of league titles by City and a couple of European cups by Barca.

Strelok

If my memory serves me right Juve were stripped off their titles and got relegated for much less. Spanish football is actually worse than riddled-with-mafia Serie A.

RedRocket9908

Sevilla have released a statement on this

https://sevillafc.es/en/actual/news/official-statement-29-september-2023

Sevilla FC said:
OFFICIAL STATEMENT SEVILLA FC: NEGREIRA CASE FC BARCELONA
29/09/2023
Entradilla

Following the latest news and developments in the Negreira Case and the indictment of FC Barcelona
Cuerpo Superior
After the latest news and developments in the Negreira Case and the indictment of FC Barcelona and some of its former officials, out of respect for the competition and our fans, we would like to communicate that:

-We express our complete outrage and condemnation of the actions carried out by the former officials of FC Barcelona who are indicted in the Negreira case, actions that are allegedly considered criminal by the Court of Instruction of Barcelona, as stated in the court order disseminated in the media.

-We reject the behavior of FC Barcelona during the periods in which these alleged crimes took place

-For this reason, we have suspended the normal protocol corresponding to the LaLiga match scheduled for Friday, September 29, between FC Barcelona and Sevilla FC, and will have no representation in the Montjuic stadium's VIP box.

-We want to express our deepest respect for the Barcelona members and season ticket holders, as well as for their current employees and officials who work daily at FC Barcelona and who are indirectly implicated in this matter.

-We respect the Spanish justice system, the presumption of innocence, and any decisions that may be made in any direction by the relevant courts and disciplinary bodies.

-We hope that, for the sake of the competition, all events in the Negreira case will be clarified in light of the judge's recent considerations.

-We trust that incidents such as the alleged ones do not happen again and that the relevant federative bodies will ensure, from now on, the integrity of all competitions, which Sevilla FC has also been participating in during the periods under investigation against FC Barcelona.

always_hoping

When Barcelona and Man City are found guilty of their cheating, bribery, match fixing, financial doping charges & corruption where will it leave Pep Guardiola’s legacy as a manager?