Barcelona: Charged with corruption .... again!

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
God I hate that FC Barca has stopped posting here. Would pay to heae his thoughts on the current situation.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Why would they be forced to sell players? You think anyone with a preserved cognitive function would sell Pedri or De Jong in order to register Depay and Aguero? If push comes to shove those free agents simply won't be registered.
My point was, why are Griezmann and Memphis all smiling and doing each other's celebrations when of them isn't going to be playing (because like you said, they wouldn't sell those willingly).

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
My point was, why are Griezmann and Memphis all smiling and doing each other's celebrations when of them isn't going to be playing (because like you said, they wouldn't sell those willingly).
Unfortunately I have no idea whatsoever. Still I'd be immensely surprised if anyone there is even thinking about selling few players they have available that are both good and young enough to build their future team on.

Green_Red

You'd think if all of their supporters put €100 into the club they'd gofundme enough money to keep Messi for another season. Mes que un club right?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Barca are cursed!
:lol: TBF many of us said this was a terrible signing to begin with. It's utterly daft to let go of Suarez due to his age and then sign a lesser CF who is also old, more past it and injury prone. Also, given their current side you'd need a CF who is more physically robust and has a better engine/mobility.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

If this is true, we should tell De Jong and Pedri to join us here at Death Row records.
:lol: Bartemeu has surely got to be the most incompetent man in football? Imagine taking the trophy winning machine that was peak Barcelona and the commercial value that had, and somehow running into the ground this badly. That's a special feat.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
:lol: Bartemeu has surely got to be the most incompetent man in football? Imagine taking the trophy winning machine that was peak Barcelona and the commercial value that had, and somehow running into the ground this badly. That's a special feat.
I honestly feel if you took the biggest Madrid fan of all time and asked him to do more damage as a Barca president than Barto he wouldn’t be able to. It is beyond stunning.

TsuWave

The guy is a hero

dinostar77

Surely if the new players cant be registered this season, they will go sign with another club? They arent going to sit on the sidelines and not play competitive football for a year with a WC in november 2022.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Bartomeu did a bad job, but the whole situation with the pandemic and the wage cap is very hard to manage. There's no easy solution to moving overpaid players, a problem which all top clubs face and which you usually just have to suck up.

CG1010

Wtf is fitness levels of Depay based on the photo in the transfer news tweet above. The size of that belly would make several retired footballers proud . Hopefully its just a photo illusion of lighting or something or Barca might be secretly happy at not having to register him.

RoyH1

Bartomeu did a bad job, but the whole situation with the pandemic and the wage cap is very hard to manage. There's no easy solution to moving overpaid players, a problem which all top clubs face and which you usually just have to suck up.
While the pandemic obviously plays a big part in this, you still absolutely have to throw your arms up in despair at some of the contracts Bartomeu handed out. I just read that if Coutinho plays just 10 games for Barsa this season, his contract stipulates that they have to pay him a 20 million bonus. Mindboggling.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Its like when I used to take over liverpool on Football manager, give gerrard a new contract every week with higher wages and signing bounses and play 4 goalkeepers in defence and everybody on the left hand side of the pitch :rofl:

Jesse > Messi

Spanish football has been bailing Real Madrid and Barcelona out for years, it’s only due to falling revenues thanks to the pandemic and the fact the country is broke so they can no longer rely on state aid to save them from a situation entirely of their own making. I for one am because you’d never see the British government bailing out English clubs in the same manner (Leeds for example). It’s no wonder the previous regime at Barca spent they way they did when in the past the public coffers have usually bailed them out.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...adium-it-s-all-about-real-estate-8557549.html

https://www.ft.com/content/2b6aa26f-f2ac-426f-b218-612f4c21695c

Oldyella

I sense some Brewsters Millions like back story going on behind the scenes.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid

Jesse > Messi

Yes I know it is. It’s perfectly relevant to the point I made about the Spanish state bailing out both clubs previously that’s why I included it to add context of how they’ve ended up in this mess. Both of the two top clubs in Spain have been overspending for years that’s the reason they’ve not given up with the European Super League plans either, it’s the only way they’ll ever pay their astronomical debts down.

That news is from Wednesday 03 April 2013.

The latest news regarding that topic is from 22 May 2019 when the Court of Justice of the European Union tells Real Madrid was right not to give 18.4 million euros back to the State.

https://curia.europa.eu/juris/docum...EN&mode=lst&dir=&occ=first&part=1&cid=4924455

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
Yes I know it is. It’s perfectly relevant to the point I made about the Spanish state bailing out both clubs previously that’s why I included it to add context of how they’ve ended up in this mess. Both of the two top clubs in Spain have been overspending for years that’s the reason they’ve not given up with the European Super League plans either, it’s the only way they’ll ever pay their astronomical debts down.
While they might not be bailed out in the strictest sense, there is around zero chance of Barcelona going the way of Leeds (bankrupt, relegated or anything of the sort). You'd have to dissolve the country itself first, pandemic or no pandemic, crisis or no crisis.

Jesse > Messi

Would be nice if they did go the way of Leeds tbh they deserve nothing less than that. You never know it might teach them to be a little more humble because they clearly think that the rules do not apply to them.
While they might not be bailed out in the strictest sense, there is around zero chance of Barcelona going the way of Leeds (bankrupt, relegated or anything of the sort). You'd have to dissolve the country itself first, pandemic or no pandemic, crisis or no crisis.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
It was probably relevant back in 2013, but in 2021 the conclusion is the opposite so it's not relevant anymore.

The other piece of news about Barcelona, Madrid, Athletic and Osasuna though, that is a valid one for now.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Surely if the new players cant be registered this season, they will go sign with another club? They arent going to sit on the sidelines and not play competitive football for a year with a WC in november 2022.
They signed a contract. They are Barca players.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
But is this contract valid, or have at least some of them a clause included that requires Barca to register them to become effective? As it was surely known to them that Barca has problems this would be a reasonable demand.

Spark

Am no lawyer and obviously haven't seen their contracts anyway, but I'd imagine that a player's contract is predicated on the ability to actually play. For example, if there are a shed load of playing clauses that now can't be activated by virtue of the club's inability to actually get them playing then that would surely be grounds for annulling the contract.

They're on the brink here Barca, but imagine they'll have some sort of reprieve. A season being forced to play their youngsters might actually do them a favour re: wage bill.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
But is this contract valid, or have at least some of them a clause included that requires Barca to register them to become effective? As it was surely known to them that Barca has problems this would be a reasonable demand.
No clue. What constitutes a breach of contract? Not playing them? They are getting paid and player who don’t make the squad can‘t play either.
Only the lawyers know.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
@Daysleeper is there a deadline that Barca have to meet to (1) meet La Liga FFP before season starts and (2) to register new players?

ie. how long have they got before it gets really, really, really, REALLY serious?
We have till Thursday or we are REALLY screwed. Can’t register any signings. Only pjanic seems to be getting sold back to Juventus. Not too miffed if we can’t sign Aguero but really wanted Depay and Emerson. What a sh*t show this club has become.

Tucholsky

Supports
VfB Stuttgart
No clue. What constitutes a breach of contract? Not playing them? They are getting paid and player who don’t make the squad can‘t play either.
Only the lawyers know.
As a player I woud sue Barcelona for all the contract related additional payments for played matches, scored goals etc.
They can't reach them. And it is not their fault .

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
We have till Thursday or we are REALLY screwed. Can’t register any signings. Only pjanic seems to be getting sold back to Juventus. Not too miffed if we can’t sign Aguero but really wanted Depay and Emerson. What a sh*t show this club has become.
48 hours?!!

I bet Aguerro wishes he could turn back time? If you can get a few grand for mis-sold PPI, think what he can get?

Giggsy13

This is probably the worst Barca squad in about 20 years. Apart from Pedri, Fati and De Jong, I wouldn’t want any one of their overpaid squad players. It’s going to be a painful decade for Barca fans, it’s a huge mess to clean up.