Barcelona: Charged with corruption .... again!

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
United should never be mentioned in this thread. neither they are in decline, neither they are skint, neither they have shit and ageing squad. they are simply mismanaged by a manager whose next job will be at Molde or Tampere United.

Barca on the other hand is properly fecked for the next 2-3 years. I could see them wanting de Beek on loan soon, regardless of who their manager is at the time.
If they actually fail to qualify for the CL next season, I reckon you can push that 2-3 years to 4-5 years.

ti vu

Unlike a PL clubs where competition is fierce. Barcelona with the right coach can bounce back despite their heavily reduced financial prowess.

Their current squad and potential affordable additions, with good tactic from the head coach would still land them in CL spot (can't autopilot like with Messi). They're still an attractive destination for a host of players, especially young talented players, now that there is less pressure to hit the ground running, and lowered standard. Weather and football culture beside the successful history of the club still plays a natural role for this attractiveness.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Unlike a PL clubs where competition is fierce. Barcelona with the right coach can bounce back despite their heavily reduced financial prowess.

Their current squad and potential affordable additions, with good tactic from the head coach would still land them in CL spot (can't autopilot like with Messi). They're still an attractive destination for a host of players, especially young talented players, now that there is less pressure to hit the ground running, and lowered standard. Weather and football culture beside the successful history of the club still plays a natural role for this attractiveness.
Problem for them is the La Liga wage cap. I mean, can they actually afford to pay off Koeman and hire anyone else this season? From my understanding it is a minimum €7m payoff then they would have to outlay for the new coach. I am not sure they can actually do it.

Then there is the potential knock on effect next season if they don't qualify. That would mean an even lower wage ceiling wouldn't it?

So, yes, whilst your board brush strokes are right, the problem for Barca at this point is financing their debt and adhering to the La Liga wage cap.

DavidDeSchmikes

Reminds me of that Van Gaal season about 20 years ago when they were bottom half going into new year.

Think LVG got sacked, they got in Raddy Antic as caretaker, signed Edgar Davids and flew up the league. Then had the summer when they signed all of Ronaldinho, Etoo, Rafa Marquez, Deco, Edmilson and a few others.

Regardless of what young players are coming through they'll probably need to get that quality in again if they want to seriously challenge for CL in 2-3 years time so pretty daunting given their financial restrictions.
At one point they were 15th spot in the the standings with only 23 points from 20 league matches (six wins, five draws and nine losses), league form was poor, yet the CL run was good

BorisManUtd

Wonder who they go now with. Perhaps interim and then Ten Hag in summer? There's Xavi too..

lilcurt

So you can sack managers... Interesting, wonder who they will go for. So pissed if they talk to Conte.

ti vu

Problem for them is the La Liga wage cap. I mean, can they actually afford to pay off Koeman and hire anyone else this season? From my understanding it is a minimum €7m payoff then they would have to outlay for the new coach. I am not sure they can actually do it.

Then there is the potential knock on effect next season if they don't qualify. That would mean an even lower wage ceiling wouldn't it?

So, yes, whilst your board brush strokes are right, the problem for Barca at this point is financing their debt and adhering to the La Liga wage cap.
I feel the hold up on Koeman fate is that they yet to have his replacement, so they can't account to the cost of that. They just can't fire him and pay him right now, and have nobody in place, and risk not able to afford the next coach whenever that time comes.

And my previous point would include the scenario where they fail to qualify for CL next season. With lowered cap, they would still attract potential players on lower wage since their competition Spain (outside the Madrid clubs) is no more attractive. Of course, they would have to learn how to sell their better players and reinvest. The point is being that they wouldn't face a lenghty rebuild and banished into the wilderness in Spanish league for long.

Caesar2290

Wonder who they go now with. Perhaps interim and then Ten Hag in summer? There's Xavi too..
Xavi or Ten Hag most likely. I think they're going to go with Xavi. They need some fresh ideas and someone to bring up the morale in that team. Ten Hag while good, don't think he's the perfect fit for them right now.
So you can sack managers... Interesting, wonder who they will go for. So pissed if they talk to Conte.
They're gonna hire Conte and we'll be out in the cold again.
That's not the Barca ethos. They passed on peak Mourinho and most likely will pass on Conte. You have to play a certain way to coach at Barca. Conte doesn't do that.

I'll be quiet surprised if he's going to be their next manager.

saivet

Not a surprise that he's failed but looking at their starting line up / bench, he really doesn't have much to work with.

Chip

Not official yet, is it? Although I'm sure they'll move faster than us. Watch them appoint Conte now and us regretting in a few months' time.

Edit: It is official, per Barca's official website.

Art

Art the artist
Can see Ten Hag going there. Despite the utter shitshow that Barca are, they still know when it's not working out.

I’d be amazed if Ten Hag takes it. A skint Barca would be one hell of a massive challenge and in my humble opinion an unnecessary risk for him.
Better he takes a job elsewhere and keeps Barca open for when they have cash again.

Xavi will be their next manager.

RedStarUnited

Not a surprise that he's failed but looking at their starting line up / bench, he really doesn't have much to work with.
A front three of Depay, Fatti and Aguero. The midfield is basically the same one that Spain fields and no one can seem to take the ball of them. Maybe the Defence is shaky but in general thats a good lineup.

FCBarcelona

Supports
FC Barcelona
Cograts to you guys. Hopefully Ole will follow him suit after this weekend.

Who do you think is in pole position to replace him with the whole fiancial limitations that Barca currently has?
i think there are bigger problems than koeman. i don't think he sums but the squad is short and average. we just need P4 this year...

xavi is the only "safe bet" at this point. anything else will be a surprise.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Looking back at the situation after he's just been sacked, I would have to say he was on the brink, yeah.

Caesar2290

i think there are bigger problems than koeman. i don't think he sums but the squad is short and average. we just need P4 this year...

xavi is the only "safe bet" at this point. anything else will be a surprise.
That's good to know.

What do you think about Ten Hag? Can he do a job at the current Barca?

BorisManUtd

Not official yet, is it? Although I'm sure they'll move faster than us. Watch them appoint Conte now and us regretting in a few months' time.

Edit: It is official, per Barca's official website.
Can't see Conte at Barca really. It was hard for me to imagine him at Real when there were rumours back in summer and they are much more flexible than Barcelona and don't care as much about style of football.

saivet

A front three of Depay, Fatti and Aguero. The midfield is basically the same one that Spain fields and no one can seem to take the ball of them. Maybe the Defence is shaky but in general thats a good lineup.
I think their squad has potential but tonight's line-up was this:

Ter Stegen
Roberto, Pique, Garcia, Alba
Busquets, Gonzalez (who?)
Dest, Coutinho, Depay
Aguero​

The bench was Umtiti, De Jong (the striker), Lenglet and a bunch of La Masia kids.