Barcelona: Charged with corruption .... again!

reelworld

Weren’t they going to give Garcia crazy wages?

What I don’t understand is, that obviously players want to get paid well but Barcelona are a big enough club to say no to astronomical wages. If you price yourself out of a move, that’s more damning to the player than it is to Barcelona.

Barcelona seemingly acted like a club that felt they needed to super entice players to join rather than realising their position in the football world. You don’t get much higher than Barcelona but they’re acting like a club that’s been in the doldrums for years.
Yeah I don't understand it either.
You're Barcelona who had Messi which everyone would love to play with, and they feel the need to compete with oil money for wages?
Seems like they don't know how to sell Barca to new recruits.

90 + 5min

Apparently Pique gave up a ton of money and Busquets and Alba are willing as well. Kudos.
As I was saying before when Messi signed for PSG, it is not hard to reduce players contracts if club want to and players want to. I hope some of you, that called my financial knowledge poor, understand that now. Messi could have stayed and all the talk about not being able is just smokescreen.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I feel like it's worth pointing out just how Nasser Al-Khelaifi has been with Barcelona and La Liga as a whole. Personally, I feel their downfall started when they tried to poach Veratti from PSG in 2016, it ticked them off enough to turn back and activate Neymar's clause and bring him to Paris. From there on, they've made a series of bad decisions that's contributed to their current predicament. Nasser then comes out looking great by being one of the few high-profile clubs who turned down the Super League, and has a spot on the UEFA Executive Committee while Perez and Bartomeu/Laporta are standing strong with their failed project. As if that wasn't enough, Nasser then sold BeinSports' stake in La Liga back to Tebas, and then goes ahead and signs their biggest attraction in Messi to further send Barcelona and La Liga's commercial appeal down. Say what you will about PSG's President, but that's a cold man.

Zen

Pique probably on similar money as Griezmann, more like 800k+ a week. So defer 400k and there's space for new signings...
But....

"Even if Messi had offered to play the 2021-22 season without a salary, Barcelona would not have met La Liga’s salary regulations. Had Messi stayed, Barcelona’s annual salary would have accounted for 110 per cent of their income, but even with him off the books, the remaining figure is still 95 per cent. To comply with La Liga’s regulations, they need to bring it down to 70 per cent."

Most reputable sources talked on this.... now this suggests Pique made up circa 30% as they'd need to get back down to 65%ish to register 2 new key players and that's being fairly kind.... or well, given a few random ass departures, at least 20%, which is (obviously not) assuming he went to zero, which he apparently can't due to Spanish law...20% is also 5% more than what Messi agreed to drop too. Thus until they just talk in true figures... urgh.

Yeah, just a load of bullshit. That La Liga is bent as feck.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
But....

"Even if Messi had offered to play the 2021-22 season without a salary, Barcelona would not have met La Liga’s salary regulations. Had Messi stayed, Barcelona’s annual salary would have accounted for 110 per cent of their income, but even with him off the books, the remaining figure is still 95 per cent. To comply with La Liga’s regulations, they need to bring it down to 70 per cent."

Most reputable sources talked on this.... now this suggests Pique made up circa 30% as they'd need to get back down to 65%ish to register 2 new key players and that's being fairly kind.... or well, given a few random ass departures, at least 20%, which is (obviously not) assuming he went to zero, which he apparently can't due to Spanish law...20% is also 5% more than what Messi agreed to drop too. Thus until they just talk in true figures... urgh.

Yeah, just a load of bullshit. That La Liga is bent as feck.
La Liga might also have injected more liquidity into the league as they sold a 10% stake in the league for 50 years to an investment firm, called CVC.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I feel like it's worth pointing out just how Nasser Al-Khelaifi has been with Barcelona and La Liga as a whole. Personally, I feel their downfall started when they tried to poach Veratti from PSG in 2016, it ticked them off enough to turn back and activate Neymar's clause and bring him to Paris. From there on, they've made a series of bad decisions that's contributed to their current predicament. Nasser then comes out looking great by being one of the few high-profile clubs who turned down the Super League, and has a spot on the UEFA Executive Committee while Perez and Bartomeu/Laporta are standing strong with their failed project. As if that wasn't enough, Nasser then sold BeinSports' stake in La Liga back to Tebas, and then goes ahead and signs their biggest attraction in Messi to further send Barcelona and La Liga's commercial appeal down. Say what you will about PSG's President, but that's a cold man.
Talk about fecking with the wrong guy. I remember they were really arrogant and tried to unsettled Verratti at the time. That guy can hold a grudge.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Do Barcelona even exist anymore? How much is just an illusion at this point?

This feels like late stage USSR shite

Eddy_JukeZ

He has completely mugged them off.

They sign Neymar - Barcelona panic spend the money and start handing out astronomical wages.

He avoids the super league and helps kill Barcelona's hopes of recovering financially in the short-term. Then to top everything off, he takes their best ever player on a free.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Is this all Bartomeus doing?
Yes, essentially. Worst football president of all time?

Certainly got some of the worst transfers, Coutinho especially.

Gave Griezmann 800k+ a week, could have got £100m for Messi, who then walked for free 12 months later.

Cloud7

This is really something when you lay it out all out like. I hated the way they would tap up other players, talking about their Barcelona DNA etc etc. to try to get the players to push for moves. Fabregas was one of the worst examples.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
From what I've read, Pique didn't give up any salary, he just extending his contract 'till 2025 so he can get paid at a later date. They should be fine once all their overpaid dross runs out of contract.

iKnowNothing

I feel like it's worth pointing out just how Nasser Al-Khelaifi has been with Barcelona and La Liga as a whole. Personally, I feel their downfall started when they tried to poach Veratti from PSG in 2016, it ticked them off enough to turn back and activate Neymar's clause and bring him to Paris. From there on, they've made a series of bad decisions that's contributed to their current predicament. Nasser then comes out looking great by being one of the few high-profile clubs who turned down the Super League, and has a spot on the UEFA Executive Committee while Perez and Bartomeu/Laporta are standing strong with their failed project. As if that wasn't enough, Nasser then sold BeinSports' stake in La Liga back to Tebas,and then goes ahead and signs their biggest attraction in Messi to further send Barcelona and La Liga's commercial appeal down. Say what you will about PSG's President, but that's a cold man.

I don’t follow the bit in bold. What’s that about?

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
From what I've read, Pique didn't give up any salary, he just extending his contract 'till 2025 so he can get paid at a later date. They should be fine once all their overpaid dross runs out of contract.
They are kicking the can down the road again. Like they did with the Artur/Pjanic swap.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
They are kicking the can down the road again. Like they did with the Artur/Pjanic swap.
Kicking the can down the road is what they need. They will have a higher cap with tourism back and less wages to pay with the big contracts expiring in the coming years.
If they figured out a way to sell Firpo for 15m, I'm sure they're smart enough now to not do Jones type contracts "to protect value".

Unless you have blinders on and want them to sell De Jong/Pedri/Fati to Bayern, I don't see how this move can be criticized as a poor decision.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Kicking the can down the road is what they need. They will have a higher cap with tourism back and less wages to pay with the big contracts expiring in the coming years.
If they figured out a way to sell Firpo for 15m, I'm sure they're smart enough now to not do Jones type contracts "to protect value".

Unless you have blinders on and want them to sell De Jong/Pedri/Fati to Bayern, I don't see how this move can be criticized as a poor decision.
I didn’t say it was a poor move. Just described what is going on.
So spare me the bold part. Thank you.

DaGOAT

This is a huge day.

The first real match of the post-Messi era.

Given that Ansu Fati and ter Stegen are not available, Barca's starting XI should be this:

Neto

Emerson - Araujo - Pique - Alba

Busquets

Frenkie - Pedri

Demir - Greizmann - Memphis

Substitutes used should be: Dest, Gavi and Puig.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
This is a huge day.

The first real match of the post-Messi era.

Given that Ansu Fati and ter Stegen are not available, Barca's starting XI should be this:

Neto

Emerson - Araujo - Pique - Alba

Busquets

Frenkie - Pedri

Demir - Greizmann - Memphis

Substitutes used should be: Dest, Gavi and Puig.
Demir…. That is the Austrian kid? What a chance for him!

Anduin

I’ll follow Barca closely again this season, mainly because they signed Demir from my local club. Yussi has exceeded expectations in pre-season and Koeman seems to love him, can’t wait to see him play for Barca in a competitive game!

Robertd0803

This is really something when you lay it out all out like. I hated the way they would tap up other players, talking about their Barcelona DNA etc etc. to try to get the players to push for moves. Fabregas was one of the worst examples.

I think the Fabregas one was where most neutrals turned against them from a point of view of how they manage their business, much worse than Madrid were at the time and only Bayern hoovering up their leagues best talents on free transfers was seen as bad. Very general statement obviously but Im sure most Arsenal fans for example are delighted at the situation Barca find themselves in further down the line.

DaGOAT

Demir…. That is the Austrian kid? What a chance for him!
Yes. The only reason he chose Barca over all the other top European clubs chasing him is kinda romantic. It is because he is a huge Messi and Barca fan. As a kid he watched these great Barca teams.

What’s remarkable is that he has actually been one of the best Barca players in the preseason. Of course it’s preseason, but he still showed he could hang with Ronaldo led Juventus team to name an example.
He has both scored and assisted in Barca’s preseason matches.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I don’t follow the bit in bold. What’s that about?
Nasser Al-Khelaifi owns BeinSports which is a media company that does broadcasting of football games, it's one of the few options in the USA for certain leagues, and for a while they had the rights of La Liga which they sold as a buy-back for La Liga for the final 3 seasons they were scheduled for in the USA and Canada. This is 2-3 months before PSG ended up buying Messi, which you can imagine is going to have a negative impact on the value of the TV rights for La Liga.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Yes, essentially. Worst football president of all time?

Certainly got some of the worst transfers, Coutinho especially.

Gave Griezmann 800k+ a week, could have got £100m for Messi, who then walked for free 12 months later.
I couldn't believe it when I found out Fortnite was getting 800 grand a week. No wonder his move to us never happened.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Shame about Messi leaving, but I’m quite anxious to get this new season kicked off.