Barcelona: Charged with corruption .... again!

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Do you really think that the most valuable sports club in the world according to Forbes magazine (as of 2022) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes_list_of_the_most_valuable_football_clubs , the club with the highest revenue of any sports club prior to COVID-19, the football club with the biggest stadium in the world, one of the most followed clubs in the world if not the most followed club in the world (if all social media is combined), one of the most successful football clubs in history and one of the most storied clubs is going to "disappear"? Talk about blatant ignorance. Barça have survived far harder challenges throughout its 123 years of history.

If shit hits the fan down the line, the WORST CASE scenario, is us becoming a toy of some billionaire or state like 99% of all other European top clubs nowadays. Either a complete sale or a partial sale by selling parts of the club with the approval of the socios as that would be needed.

Barça and RM are pretty much unique in being 100% owned by its fans (socios) to this very day. The only other top club/historical club in Europe that has a similar ownership model is Bayern but they are not 100% owned by their fans any longer.
Ah yes, the 'we're too important to fail' take. Not surprising view for a Barca fan.

CruyffMaradonaMessi

Supports
FC Barcelona
4 CL titles in 16 years (2006-2022) is not bad at all though. Should have won 3-4 more though, Only RM have been better in the CL in the “modern era” (1990 onwords) than Barça and half of RM’s CL wins could only have been accomplished by them in the fashion (marginals almost always on their side) that they won those CL titles. Best example was last season.

Barça on the other hand can only win the CL when we are the best team in the world which is why we have always won the league title when we won the CL. RM can win it (like in 2000) while being 7th in the league. Barça would have self-destructed due to the toxic local media and environment.

In any case the CL is a cup tournament with a lot of luck involved and nowadays (in fact for quite a while) a “glorified“ tournament with the same teams winning.

No wonder that the Super League is inevitable as the CL is an ancient concept that has run its time. Compare the CL group of Barça with that of RM for instance. Too many arbitrary elements are involved. Always been the case.

Bayern losing to Villareal was 100 times the shocker than Bayern beating Barca 3-0. Tons of injuries in 2013 but yes I have always said Bayern own Barca. But as @giorno pointed, TONS of let downs by Bayern where it is inexplicable how they lost considering how heavy of favorites they were going into a tie. They win the league every August but come CL knockouts they more often than not don't live up to the hype. People get excited when they beat Porto 6-1 or Shaktar 7-0 but then when they play proper competition they come up short. They're still a good team obviously, but in CL they've been lacklustre compared to expectations.
Bayern is statistically the worst rival of Barça in European football but I would not call it owning. I personally don’t overly care if Barça loses 3-0 or 1-0. A loss is a loss. Of course the fashion of the loss has something to say here but it is overstated IMO unless a total collapse like in 2020. It is all about advancing further. As I wrote a few days ago, in the modern era Barça and Bayern have played each other 4 times in knockout ties.

In 2009 Bayern was eliminated in the CL by Barça in a convincing fashion (could have been way worse than the 4-0 result) as well as in 2015 (3-0). In both of those years Barça ended up winning the CL. Bayern on the other hand eliminated us in 2013 and 2020 by spanking us.

So it is equal in this regard. I don’t care for the 2 group stage loses last season. We lost twice against freaking Rayo in the league last season. It was the worst Barça in arguably 35-40 years. Our first CL group exit in almost 25 years was due to the games against Benfica. In any case we would never have won the CL last season either way as we are not RM.:lol:

Anyway Villarreal was a great one indeed.:lol:

Ah yes, the 'we're too important to fail' take. Not surprising view for a Barca fan.
It is a view very much in touch with the ground realities but continue hoping for something that will never occur.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Interesting question:

With the FFP rules changing from a rolling 3 yr structure to what will eventually be a 70 % of revenue structure that is evaluated each year … did Barca take this into consideration with their levers?

Are they going to try to employ a strategy where they still claim things like the TV money as revenue for determining their cap number for “football related spending”, and then show the percentage of that revenue going to groups like 6th street as non football expenses?

Would they be allowed to do it that way?

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Interesting question:

With the FFP rules changing from a rolling 3 yr structure to what will eventually be a 70 % of revenue structure that is evaluated each year … did Barca take this into consideration with their levers?

Are they going to try to employ a strategy where they still claim things like the TV money as revenue for determining their cap number for “football related spending”, and then show the percentage of that revenue going to groups like 6th street as non football expenses?

Would they be allowed to do it that way?
The FFP will have accounting rules and everyone has to adapt.

Barcelona are trying to lower the wage bill and that will take a while.

Olmer

If Barça or RM had been playing in the Bundesliga they would have won 50 league titles each.
I'm far from being some stalwart Bayern defender, but if Barcelona played in Germany they would:

1) Never get to have world's best players because they would want to play elsewhere (mainly in sunny and Spanish-speaking Spain or England)
2) Have a quarter of their current pull and popularity, and half of their current revenue
2) Be bankrupt long time ago and nobody would bail them out (unless they somehow were less of a circus than they are in this timeline)

With the shocking way the club is managed I wouldn't be surprised if they were relegated Schalke-style.
"Playing in another country" has more consequences than just tranferring leagues and if we imagine alternate timelines, we have to take these consequences into account. Otherwise our analysis is just lazy.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I'm far from being some stalwart Bayern defender, but if Barcelona played in Germany they would:

1) Never get to have world's best players because they would want to play elsewhere (mainly in sunny and Spanish-speaking Spain or England)
2) Have a quarter of their current pull and popularity, and half of their current revenue
2) Be bankrupt long time ago and nobody would bail them out (unless they somehow were less of a circus than they are in this timeline)

With the shocking way the club is managed I wouldn't be surprised if they were relegated Schalke-style.
"Playing in another country" has more consequences than just tranferring leagues and if we imagine alternate timelines, we have to take these consequences into account. Otherwise our analysis is just lazy.
I mean, I don't even know if there even have been 100 league titles altogetger, so I doubt they'd win 50 each :D

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
There is a possible signing in these remaining hours. We don't know who he is, only that his salary will be €6M net.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
I thought that had been ruled out like Silva. Could be anyone, really.
It's not Fekir. But Romero is very nervous and says he is coming by plane from London.
He has 90,000 people watching it right now.

Tiber

Not a big fan of Depay, but id take him on a free

Pickle85

Joke club. Reminds me of being 18 and figuring out that I could go over my overdraft yet still get cash out by buying a pack of cigs or whatever and 50 quid cash back. Instant gratification but not great for my credit rating long term.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It's not Fekir. But Romero is very nervous and says he is coming by plane from London.
He has 90,000 people watching it right now.
Romero is a grade A bullshitter

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Romero is a grade A bullshitter
He got all the Barcelona signings right before the first of them was made, but many times he gives opinions and people put it as contrasted news on Twitter.
Barcelona had warned LaLiga of a possible entry of a signing for € 6M net, confirmed by the league itself.
But not having left nor Depay no Pjanic could not be done.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He got all the Barcelona signings right before the first of them was made, but many times he gives opinions and people put it as contrasted news on Twitter.
Barcelona had warned LaLiga of a possible entry of a signing for € 6M net, confirmed by the league itself.
But not having left nor Depay no Pjanic could not be done.
Romero is a Spanish sports journalist who makes his money off twitch. Yes he has good sources within Barcelona. He also embellishes or straight up invents entire stories, because that's what spanish sport journos do. He's also a fan, and part of the deal for those sources is helping parroting whatever line the club wants to reach the public. He's part journo, part PR agent for barcelona

My take? Barcelona made a last ditch attempt for Bernardo, which was obviously rejected out of hand. Romero then proceeded to bs his way pretending it was still alive for views

Last edited:

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
Romero is a Spanish sports journalist who makes his money off twitch. Yes he has good sources within Barcelona. He also embellishes or straight up invents entire stories, because that's what spanish sport journos do. He's also a fan, and part of the deal for those sources is helping parroting whatever line the club wants to reach the public. He's part journo, part PR agent for barcelona

My take? Barcelona made a last ditch attempt for Bernardo, which was obviously rejected out of hand. Romero then proceeded to bs his way pretending it was still alive for views
Very well said. Though I even doubt there was a last attempt. Laporta is very close with City's board, so they should have known there was zero chance this late in the window. City would never release him without a replacement. Romero just rode this dead story for twitch subs until the last second.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo

Very well said. Though I even doubt there was a last attempt. Laporta is very close with City's board, so they should have known there was zero chance this late in the window. City would never release him without a replacement. Romero just rode this dead story for twitch subs until the last second.
The Spanish League itself confirmed that Barcelona told them that there could be 3 signings (Alonso, Bellerin and another). In addition to 5 exits.

And the league itself also confirmed that Barcelona told them of a possible signing of €6M net salary the last day. In the end it did not happen.

Romero is the most reliable journalist to Barcelona signings in all of Spain and by far. It is my opinion and there is also unanimity in Spain on this.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Romero is the most reliable journalist to Barcelona signings in all of Spain and by far. It is my opinion and there is also unanimity in Spain on this.
Sure, but everything he says must be filtered through the lens of "how does this help barcelona". He's not an indipendent, he basically works for barcelona

TheReligion

Abusive
Interesting that according to Luckhurst, Barca dug their heels in with De Jong’s wages and that’s what messed up the transfer. The player, and agent, had agreed to the move to United very early on so that wasn’t the problem.

I’m surprised Barca didn’t just get this settled and bag the €85m at the start of the window.

I think there’s more legs in this

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
Interesting that according to Luckhurst, Barca dug their heels in with De Jong’s wages and that’s what messed up the transfer. The player, and agent, had agreed to the move to United very early on so that wasn’t the problem.

I’m surprised Barca didn’t just get this settled and bag the €85m at the start of the window.

I think there’s more legs in this
Both teams combined spent this window around €400m. You really think this transfer was blocked for 3 months because of €17m?

Nights

Sure, but everything he says must be filtered through the lens of "how does this help barcelona". He's not an indipendent, he basically works for barcelona
Yep he’s made it clear this summer he’s nothing more than Laporta’s mouthpiece.

TheReligion

Abusive
Both teams combined spent this window around €400m. You really think this transfer was blocked for 3 months because of €17m?
I’m just saying what’s being reported from good sources. It also ties in with what tier ones from Holland have said throughout.

De Jong was happy to go to United, a bid was accepted.. what was holding it up?

Definitely the issues between Barca and the players side.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I’m just saying what’s being reported from good sources. It also ties in with what tier ones from Holland have said throughout.

De Jong was happy to go to United, a bid was accepted.. what was holding it up?

Definitely the issues between Barca and the players side.
Just a thought: Would that 17m have counted as player salary for this season for the FFP?
If yes it would have meant far less wage budget available for Barca despute getting rid of him and might have prevented two or three signings...

caid

Just a thought: Would that 17m have counted as player salary for this season for the FFP?
If yes it would have meant far less wage budget available for Barca despute getting rid of him and might have prevented two or three signings...
Yeah i think it would have. It would have saved them 25m or so that they'll need to pay him this season though so they'd come out ahead regardless.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It would have counted against FFP yes but ultimately they would have still "gained" somewhere in the region of 40m through the sale, so they could reinvest 13m...not quite the windfall they would hope for but still better than paying him 20m for the season and not raising money for new signings...

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Yeah i think it would have. It would have saved them 25m or so that they'll need to pay him this season though so they'd come out ahead regardless.
It would have counted against FFP yes but ultimately they would have still "gained" somewhere in the region of 40m through the sale, so they could reinvest 13m...not quite the windfall they would hope for but still better than paying him 20m for the season and not raising money for new signings...
Crazy numbers... thanks guys.

So it really is a mystery why it didn't happen in the end.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Especially when Barceloana keeps buying players.
There are players that if you don't sign them this year Barcelona would lose them.
Anyway Barcelona signed 7 and got rid of 16.

By the way, I find it strange that the signing of M. Alonso is only 1 year with the option of another.
I suspect Barcelona may have a free left-back closed for next year. Gayá is the one that fits me the most.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
By the way, I find it strange that the signing of M. Alonso is only 1 year with the option of another.
I suspect Barcelona may have a free left-back closed for next year. Gayá is the one that fits me the most.
I believe it's because of Balde. This season is his big chance. The club would be dumb to place somebody infront of him for years, because then he would definitely leave.

Barca is on a 1:1 ratio from this summer on. And I still believe Frenkie simply didn't want to lose his life in Barcelona in the end. Nothing the clubs could have done.

Last edited:

CruyffMaradonaMessi

Supports
FC Barcelona
Robert Lewandowski looks like an amazing transfer and a bargain so far. He looks like a seasoned Barça player already. His allround game looks very solid too. I might have underestimated him.

Last edited: