Barcelona: Charged with corruption .... again!

CruyffMaradonaMessi

Supports
FC Barcelona
Can you explain what you meant to me? It's just that when you talk about Pjnic walking away from a contract and say that some of your other players should learn from that, it's not an unreasonable assumption to think that you're implying they should willingly forego previously agreed contracts.
No, I am talking from the perspective of a socio/soci and supporter of Barça. Pjanic is and has always been deadwood at the club and as such I am happy about him leaving permanently. Luckily most players in that category have left the club this summer thanks to loans, transfers and mutually agreed contract terminations.

There is nothing even remotely strange about that. Football is a business. Players are in their majority selfish to the core, constantly looking to leave for better clubs, constantly pursuing better contracts etc. and as such why should clubs not pursue their own interests before anything else? Even more so a club like Barça that NEEDS to be ruthless to correct the gigantic mess that Bartomeu and the previous board left.

One of the many problems that Bartomeu left the club with was an unsustainable and absurd wage structure and players getting rewarded for failure. Laporta is not the type to tolerate such moronic policies which his previous very successful tenure demonstrated for all to see.

Is it always pretty? No, but when was modern football pretty to begin with? It is riddled with corrupt owners, corrupt national, European and international football institutions, gigantic financial disparity, rules selectively administrated by the leading football bodies (FIFA and UEFA comes to mind), La Liga having the harshest financial regulations in place of any league all while the EPL (the "doping league" as I like to call it) spends 1 + billion (if that can do it, I think that Chelsea alone has spent over 250 million pounds) pounds just on transfers this summer with numerous of those EPL clubs being used as sports washing instruments of dictatorial regimes or dubious characters like in the case of Chelsea (Abramovich) and others .

Yet Barça is the evil one according to much of the rhetoric on Redcafe. Christ almighty!

So yes, I applaud Pjanic for realizing his predicament at Barça (no future, no playing time in sight) and for him preferring to actually play football all while at the same time earning his fair share in UAE nowadays. The likes of Braithwaite as well and all the other players that left this summer as well.

Piqué in particular could learn from them. Xavi already told him back in May that he won't count on him and add that with what I wrote to you before and it can't possibly come as a surprise for anyone that most of us fans want him to follow his own preaching. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Last edited:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Yet Barça is the evil one according to much of the rhetoric on Redcafe. Christ almighty!
Getting money in a morally questionable way is one thing, treating players in a morally questionable way is another.

While I dislike the way a club like Manchester City is financed I think that they deal with their players much more gracefully than Barca did this summer.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
Getting money in a morally questionable way is one thing, treating players in a morally questionable way is another.

While I dislike the way a club like Manchester City is financed I think that they deal with their players much more gracefully than Barca did this summer.
A good comparison.
One club is desperate to clean the disastrous financial heritage while obligated at the same time to have a competitive squad to keep the cashflow going and not risking bankruptcy. The other club has no problem to keep even 30 players and pay them high end wages.

e: Also what he said:

Players are in their majority selfish to the core, constantly looking to leave for better clubs, constantly pursuing better contracts etc. and as such why should clubs not pursue their own interests before anything else?

Pickle85

No, I am talking from the perspective of a socio/soci and supporter of Barça. Pjanic is and has always been deadwood at the club and as such I am happy about him leaving permanently. Luckily most players in that category have left the club this summer thanks to loans, transfers and mutually agreed contract terminations.

There is nothing even remotely strange about that. Football is a business. Players are in their majority selfish to the core, constantly looking to leave for better clubs, constantly pursuing better contracts etc. and as such why should clubs not pursue their own interests before anything else? Even more so a club like Barça that NEEDS to be ruthless to correct the gigantic mess that Bartomeu and the previous board left.

One of the many problems that Bartomeu left the club with was an unsustainable and absurd wage structure and players getting rewarded for failure. Laporta is not the type to tolerate such moronic policies which his previous very successful tenure demonstrated for all to see.

Is it always pretty? No, but when was modern football pretty to begin with? It is riddled with corrupt owners, corrupt national, European and international football institutions, gigantic financial disparity, rules selectively administrated by the leading football bodies (FIFA and UEFA comes to mind), La Liga having the harshest financial regulations in place of any league all while the EPL (the "doping league" as I like to call it) spends 1 + billion (if that can do it, I think that Chelsea alone has spent over 250 million pounds) pounds just on transfers this summer with numerous of those EPL clubs being used as sports washing instruments of dictatorial regimes or dubious characters like in the case of Chelsea (Abramovich) and others .

So yes, I applaud Pjanic for realizing his predicament at Barça (no future, no playing time in sight) and for him preferring to actually play football all while at the same time earning his fair share in UAE nowadays. The likes of Braithwaite as well and all the other players that left this summer as well.

Piqué in particular could learn from them. Xavi already told him back in May that he won't count on him and add that with what I wrote to you before and it can't possibly come as a surprise for anyone that most of us fans want him to follow his own preaching. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
This is fair enough. I disagree with the way your club is operating but I understand where you're coming from.

Pickle85

Is there a sports institution in Europe other than Barça that has won more European titles across all sports? We are dwarfing everyone else it seems.

https://www.sport.es/en/news/barca/...s-than-anyone-almost-doubling-madrid-13597784

Gavi has signed a new contract until 2026. Great news.
Is there a sports institution in Europe other than barça that gives a toss about as many sports outside of their primary one? Let's hope the DWARFING in Futsal etc turns into significant revenue generation!

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Is there a sports institution in Europe other than barça that gives a toss about as many sports outside of their primary one? Let's hope the DWARFING in Futsal etc turns into significant revenue generation!
The second most popular one would probably be basketball, where Real Madrid are comfortably ahead of Barcelona.

CruyffMaradonaMessi

Supports
FC Barcelona
Handball, futsal, women's football, roller hockey etc. are not exactly synchronized swimming or pétanque. There is no sports institution in the world that is as successful or dominant in so many sports. Football and basketball included.

The second most popular one would probably be basketball, where Real Madrid are comfortably ahead of Barcelona.
Not in the modern era. There is a reason why Barça has won more LIGA ACB (league titles) titles. RM's early dominance (where there was zero competition) during the Franco era and no professional league, almost zero foreigners etc. is hardly relevant. Different format too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liga_ACB

Anyway, I don't think there is a club that can compete with Barça on this front. I just read that we signed Keira Walsh for a record fee of £400,000.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/barcelona-transfer-keira-walsh-record-27956891

I don't want to turn this thread into something else but the early success of RM (domestic and international) in those two sports is highly controversial for a reason. No need to mention how di Stéfano was stolen from Barça or the close connection of Santiago Bernabéu with the Franco regime and favorable refereeing decisions since always. Not to mention the media environment. To this day absurd sports shows such as El chiringuito de Jugones (one of the most watched shows in Spain as a whole which says a lot about our society - I prefer to call it El chiricirco de Jugones) might just as well be called Real Madrid Televisión.

In fact our huge success in football, basketball and all the other sports is amazing considering the obstacles. All this with a historically mostly toxic internal environment, some truly horrible presidents (Gaspart and Bartomeu just in the more recent era) and underachieving a lot historically (we should have won at least 4-5 more CL's) compared to the amazing players and teams that we have had throughout history.

Es lo que es, as Koeman would be saying.:lol:

Last edited:

rhajdu

That's true, Real Madrid is comfortably ahead of Barcelona both in football and basketball. However, you can't deny the fact that Barcelona is way ahead of everyone else in ROLLER HOCKEY. That's the big thing, isn't it?

CruyffMaradonaMessi

Supports
FC Barcelona
That's true, Real Madrid is comfortably ahead of Barcelona both in football and basketball. However, you can't deny the fact that Barcelona is way ahead of everyone else in ROLLER HOCKEY. That's the big thing, isn't it?
Yes, all that matters is roller hockey (not an insignificant sport worldwide by any means), not the combined achievements in all sports. Anyway I doubt that there is a more successful sports club in Europe or the world for that matter that is as accomplished and dominant across so many sports and for such a long period of time. All that success in the modern era too, not 60-70 years ago when there was barely any professionalization or competition compared to the modern era (last 30-40 years or so).

Tyrion

FreckBarca

Supports
Espanyol
Is there a sports institution in Europe other than Barça that has won more European titles across all sports? We are dwarfing everyone else it seems.

https://www.sport.es/en/news/barca/...s-than-anyone-almost-doubling-madrid-13597784
Good question. Of course there is.
CSKA have won 84 european cups across all Sports.

https:// ca.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CSKA_Moscou
https:// mobile.twitter.com/_benito___/status/1520838207499288576

No sois el ombligo del mundo, ni siquiera en los deportes que no le importan a nadie.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal

CruyffMaradonaMessi

Supports
FC Barcelona
Sporting are one of the elite Sporting (haha) institutions in the world across all sports. Most trophies, and the alpha dog in sports like Futsal.
Can’t be more than Barça in any of those sports. Not football, not basketball, not women’s football, not futsal, not roller hockey etc.

The article that I posted and the list it contains is just the CL or the equivalent of the CL in all available sports in any given sports club in Europe. It shows that Sporting has 5 CL titles across all sports in total. Barça has by far the most in Europe with 45. The article is from early May and in June we won the handball CL for a record 11th time.

We also defeated you guys (Sporting) in the UEFA CL futsal final 4-0 last season to win our 4th futsal CL.:) Only Inter Movistar has won more CL titles (5).

Obviously if all official domestic, European and international titles are included our football team alone has almost 100 official titles (domestic titles recognised by either RFEF, La Liga and official titles recognised by UEFA and FIFA).

Overall (all sports), I think it is approaching 500 official titles if that can do it.

Our many different and successful sports sections is one of the main reasons for the “més que un club” motto outside of the historical political element.

Anyway I enjoy our newly developed futsal rivalry, luckily Inter Movistar looks like a thing of the past and they are going downhill fast. They won’t be missed.

Vicenterubio

Supports
Real Madrid
Real Madrid has the most successful basketball team in Europe, the most important team outside of the NBA

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
The equivalent of the Champions League is the Euroleague. Real Madrid have won it 10 times and were runners-up this year, woulda been a nice double with the CL but they couldn't quite manage it.

antk

Are there any European players that get poached by the American NBA?
Constantly. As said above Luka Doncic is arguably top 5/10 player in the NBA currently and was a RM player not so long ago. The probable next draft first pick is a young French giant playing in a Paris club.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Constantly. As said above Luka Doncic is arguably top 5/10 player in the NBA currently and was a RM player not so long ago. The probable next draft first pick is a young French giant playing in a Paris club.
All signs point to him as 1. Doncic is a top 3 offensive player for me, with Giannis and Curry.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
The next lever will be sale of 25% of the tv rights for the next 30 years of the roller hockey team. This will get them up to 30$.

RedRoach

There is a European league for Basketball and it is a popular sport in Spain (probably the third most popular I would say after football and cycling). However it has kind of the inverse situation to football in that all the shit players who don't make it in the NBA come to Europe and all the good players from Europe go to the NBA.

Pickle85

Can’t be more than Barça in any of those sports. Not football, not basketball, not women’s football, not futsal, not roller hockey etc.

The article that I posted and the list it contains is just the CL or the equivalent of the CL in all available sports in any given sports club in Europe. It shows that Sporting has 5 CL titles across all sports in total. Barça has by far the most in Europe with 45. The article is from early May and in June we won the handball CL for a record 11th time.

We also defeated you guys (Sporting) in the UEFA CL futsal final 4-0 last season to win our 4th futsal CL.:) Only Inter Movistar has won more CL titles (5).

Obviously if all official domestic, European and international titles are included our football team alone has almost 100 official titles (domestic titles recognised by either RFEF, La Liga and official titles recognised by UEFA and FIFA).

Overall (all sports), I think it is approaching 500 official titles if that can do it.

Our many different and successful sports sections is one of the main reasons for the “més que un club” motto outside of the historical political element.

Anyway I enjoy our newly developed futsal rivalry, luckily Inter Movistar looks like a thing of the past and they are going downhill fast. They won’t be missed.
:lol:

kthanksbye

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
I don't understand why Barcelona doesn't renew these young players for 5-6 more years. If you renew him for 4 years, in 2 you are already obliged to do another renewal.

NoLogo

I don't understand why Barcelona doesn't renew these young players for 5-6 more years. If you renew him for 4 years, in 2 you are already obliged to do another renewal.
Well I guess this is what it's counting on, maybe you couldn't quite offer him the money he wanted now, so he didn't sign for 5 years, knowing he could renegotiate earlier.