Barcelona Fire Sale - who are you taking?

Blood Mage

Would anyone actually take Suarez after his cnutish antics at Liverpool? I'm not so sure. If Barca are mad enough to let Jordi Alba go we should be all over him.

Drygon

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Because they were poorly coached not because they lacked quality, that's my entire point. Just an example in the league Suarez has scored 16 goals in 2000 minutes while Benzema scored 21 in 3000. Coutinho is a flop because he didn't fit with their tactical setup, Vidal was actually very good this season.

Do you actually watch Barcelona or Madrid?

One was playing with Messi, so he got much more chances to score, other wasn't. Having arguably the GOAT playmaker on the planet feeding you chances definitely helps a lot. No doubt Benzema would have much more goals if he had the same service Suárez had.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
One was playing with Messi, so he got much more chances to score, other wasn't. Having arguably the GOAT playmaker on the planet feeding you chances definitely helps a lot. No doubt Benzema would have much more goals if he had the same service Suárez had.
It won't make up the difference and it's actually not a good thing to play with Messi since you have to share goals and goals opportunities while Benzema was the focal point at Madrid. Also it's kind of irrelevant since the point is that Suarez is still an excellent goalscorer and you just have to look at the type of goals that he scored which weren't easy ones but typical of a great goalscorer. The rest of his game is obviously inferior to Benzema though.

JPRouve

Scout
None of them thanks. No more cast-offs from other big clubs - it never works as a strategy
Bayern disagrees with Robben, Inter with Sneijder/Eto'o, City with Yaya Touré, Arsenal with Henry, Milan with Ibrahimovic, Chelsea with Fabregas or Juventus with Pirlo. It all depends on the identity of the players in question.

zing

Zingle balls
Bayern disagrees with Robben, Inter with Sneijder/Eto'o, City with Yaya Touré, Arsenal with Henry, Milan with Ibrahimovic, Chelsea with Fabregas or Juventus with Pirlo. It all depends on the identity of the players in question.
I didn't see Zlatan/Pirlo for the clubs you mentioned but the rest barring the exception of Fabregas were sold while they were performing very well.

The Robben sale was just bizarre - and Real weren't the first club to make the mistake with Robben.

A lot of Barca players look past it. Coutinho, Dembele would be worth a punt though.

JPRouve

Scout
I didn't see Zlatan/Pirlo for the clubs you mentioned but the rest barring the exception of Fabregas were sold while they were performing very well.

The Robben sale was just bizarre - and Real weren't the first club to make the mistake with Robben.

A lot of Barca players look past it. Coutinho, Dembele would be worth a punt though.
They were all cast offs which is the point and most Barcelona players have been performing well, the issue is about how they play as a team. For us Busquets and Alba could be good signings because Alba is still very good and Busquets should fit a team that needs a game manager that will be surrounded by better athletes the rest are not good fits and expensive.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Fabregas at Chelsea I don't think suited either party. He got a couple of league titles out of it, but he wasn't right for they team in my opinion

Lentwood

Even if you accept the definition of these players as “cast-offs” which I don’t necessarily in all cases, they are the exceptions that prove the rule.

Most of them played in amazing sides and left in their peak years. I certainly do not want any of this washed up Barcelona lot. Even if you offered me Messi I wouldn’t be interested. We’re building a proper squad at the moment and long may it continue.

dev1l

Fabregas at Chelsea I don't think suited either party. He got a couple of league titles out of it, but he wasn't right for they team in my opinion
Created trouble in the dressing room

Zen

With the exception of Pirlo - none of these were seen as on the slide.... and mostly just Barca players who couldn't break through the core or want to be utility players - Fabregas played everywhere for them, pointless signing that also more or less ended up with Thiago leaving as well, which is still costing them now.

I wouldn't take the risk on any of the core over 30+'s there.... everyone bar Pirlo up above, I would of taken at the times.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
What do people think about Coutinho? He might be available on loan and with our funds being limited this year, isnt he a good short term option? We can even agree some sort of option to buy with Barcelona if he settles well.

JPRouve

Scout
With the exception of Pirlo - none of these were seen as on the slide.... and mostly just Barca players who couldn't break through the core or want to be utility players - Fabregas played everywhere for them, pointless signing that also more or less ended up with Thiago leaving as well, which is still costing them now.

I wouldn't take the risk on any of the core over 30+'s there.... everyone bar Pirlo up above, I would of taken at the times.
And I haven't talked about players being on the slide, nor has the post I quoted.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Vidal was tailor made for premier league when he was at Juve.

I thought with his injuries and being in his 30s now he'd declined but didn't realise he's seen as having a good season for Barca.

Surely the correct answer here is Everton btw. They've taken Gomes, Mina and Digne off Barcelona in last 18 months so go to club if Barcelona want to make a quick flip on players as they did with those three.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
I think Rakitic would be a great addition, as well as Suarez.. United have plenty youngsters but could do with some quality players who know what it's like to win prizes...

Last edited:

Himannv

Even if you offered me Messi I wouldn’t be interested.
I'm surprised by the number of people saying this. I know he's older now and not quite the same player, but he's still one of the best players in the world and has a couple of good seasons in him at least. Even this older version of him is better than any player in our squad and also better than any player we are linked with. We need a right-sided attacker with Greenwood eventually coming into the side there and he'd be tailor-made for the role. Also, it would be great for business as United would recoup most of the outlay in shirt sales alone.

Of course, they'll never sell him and even if he does leave he obviously wouldn't come here, but I don't understand anyone who says we shouldn't be interested if it was on the cards. He's still one of the best players in the history of the sport and maybe even the GOAT.

JPRouve

Scout
But these fire sale players are on the slide..... thus incomparable with your lot.
I responded to the general idea that he expressed and my conclusion was pretty clear.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Loan with an option to buy Firpo. Shaw is often injured, Williams and Firpo can compete for the same spot with Firpo being the more offensive option.

kiristao

Would not mind a punt on Coutinho on the cheap. Has premier league experience. Can play a role behind the striker when we need to give Bruno a rest. Can also play on the left or right on the front 3.
Will definitely add a bit of quality to the depth of our squad.

Glorio

I'm surprised by the number of people saying this. I know he's older now and not quite the same player, but he's still one of the best players in the world and has a couple of good seasons in him at least. Even this older version of him is better than any player in our squad and also better than any player we are linked with. We need a right-sided attacker with Greenwood eventually coming into the side there and he'd be tailor-made for the role. Also, it would be great for business as United would recoup most of the outlay in shirt sales alone.

Of course, they'll never sell him and even if he does leave he obviously wouldn't come here, but I don't understand anyone who says we shouldn't be interested if it was on the cards. He's still one of the best players in the history of the sport and maybe even the GOAT.
And if rumours are to be believed he's also the manager and chairman of every team he's in. Love the player, but the effect on the rest of the squad? No thanks

Himannv

And if rumours are to be believed he's also the manager and chairman of every team he's in. Love the player, but the effect on the rest of the squad? No thanks
I think that's the case with Barcelona at the moment. Is it really the case for Argentina? I didn't see that kind of thing happening there.

Barry Red

None of them. They are either too old, too expensive or too fragile for the EPL. And I include Messi in that. I would rather see Ronaldo back than Messi, even if such a thing we're possible.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Why wouldn't you want any of them? Serious question here.

You realize Pique would still be your best CB by far, Alba is better than Shaw, Vidal is still a great player that would be useful to anyone, Busquets is still great the majority of the time(and might even still be outright great on a team like City) and Suarez is still one of the best goalscorers in the world right? That they are by no means anything less than great players still?
They don't represent good value when the premium on their wages is factored in. We've just got rid of a massive, aged earner and it would be foolhardy to then bundle a load in.

Those that haven't played in the PL or outside of Spain before, you also have to concern yourself with adjustment and settling in, which is far from a given.

The risk they represent as overall packages is best avoided as none of the ones that are any good will come on in a package that offsets them not working out. In other words, you can't take punts at this level of wage.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I would rather see us relegated than sign Luis f*cking Saurez. What is wrong with some people?

There are definitely some players at Barca worth signing, but by and lage they're the ones they don't want to sell I'd say.