Barcelona to fire Valverde. Quique Setién to take over

RUCK4444

I feel Barca still have quality within their squad. Ter Stegen, Alba, Umtiti, Lenglet, De Jong, Griezzman, Messi (discounting the older players, not sure if we class Messi as old?) is still a decent spine, with the likes of Fati and Dembele as well. I mean we would take any of those players wouldn't we?

I think the problem is they still try to play the traditional Barca way, Pep football if you like, and they just don't have the personnel to fit that style.

Best thing they could do would be to make Pep a very rich man to go back there. Otherwise you expect them to spend another half a billion chasing the impossible rather than just change their style to suit the squad available.

Untd55

They are poorly managed, letting the team age and failing to get adequate replacements with the money spent.

Their midfield is weak with no creativity; their top assisters from midfield are Arthur and Rakitic with 3 each, one of whom has been sold to Juventus. Creativity and goal scoring is pretty much left solely to the frontline (mainly Messi, in terms of creation) with Alba chipping in with 6 assists. When Messi goes, they are screwed.

Their team is old; the average age of their first-team played this season is about 29-30, rising to 30.7 at one point under Setien.

Their signings have been poor: Dembele (€100m for a player who scored 9 goals 13 assists in the Bundesliga once? Mad); he scored 1 goal in 9 games this season. Coutinho (€100m - nothing needs to be said here); Griezmann (€100m - strange financial decision - has been poor); De Jong (€75m - has not been impressive with 2 goals and 2 assists). So much money wasted.

Any manager will have a ridiculously hard time taking over this job.

Last edited:

Cait Sith

Dumbest managerial appointment in history. Sack your back to back league winning manager who has you top of the table third season in a row in the middle of the season to appoint a nobody who got booed by Betis fans to end up losing the Copa, getting wrecked by Real Madrid, losing the league then getting the biggest CL pounding in knockout history. Easily the dumbest appointment ever.

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
Does anyone seriously think they would have stood a chance with Valverde today for god's sake? Especially considering he oversaw both Rome and Anfeld.

Cait Sith

Does anyone seriously think they would have stood a chance with Valverde today for god's sake? Especially considering he oversaw both Rome and Anfeld.
Roma aggregate 4-4.
Liverpool aggregate 3-4 (best Liverpool in 30 years easily).

2-8 on a neutral ground with no fans in 90 minutes. Imagine this game in Allianz with 80k Bayern fans.

Spot the difference.

This is a coach who got completely outplayed by a 3rd division side in the Copa del Rey with Barca.

Valverde is Sir Alex compared to this man.

There are obviously many more issues than the coach, it's a has been team. But boy did Valverde overachieve with it.

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
They lose, but not 8-2.
Irrelevant, they lose 5-2. At this point I'd prefer an outright humiliation if there was any chance of changes happening. Alas they could have shipped 12, it would make no difference.

el3mel

Irrelevant, they lose 5-2. At this point I'd prefer an outright humiliation if there was any chance of changes happening. Alas they could have shipped 12, it would make no difference.
I agree. Valverde was also a terrible manager for them imo. The problem is they replaced him with even a worse one.

Overall, their managerial appointment has been shambolic.

Eddy_JukeZ

I mean losing 8-2 is outright humiliation.

I was very critical of Valverde and his time at Barcelona, but I must admit, he was good for them. He IMO overachieved in the end.

Those capitulations weren't entirely his fault.

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
Roma aggregate 4-4.
Liverpool aggregate 3-4 (best Liverpool in 30 years easily).

2-8 on a neutral ground with no fans in 90 minutes. Imagine this game in Allianz with 80k Bayern fans.

Spot the difference.

This is a coach who got completely outplayed by a 3rd division side in the Copa del Rey with Barca.

Valverde is Sir Alex compared to this man.

There are obviously many more issues than the coach, it's a has been team. But boy did Valverde overachieve with it.
Valverde is an average upper mid table coach. The more time he spent at Barcelona the worse they got. Granted he's better than Setien but that's an awfully low bar, in ideal circumstances neither of them should be anywhere near Barcelona job.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Valverde is an average upper mid table coach. The more time he spent at Barcelona the worse they got. Granted he's better than Setien but that's an awfully low bar, in ideal circumstances neither of them should be anywhere near Barcelona job.
Their appointments before then were Luis Enrique (who eventually came off well but struggled before at Celta and Roma) who had MSN at their peak, before was Gerardo Martino, Tito and obviously Pep who became a super coach but was just another up and comer when they appointed him.

Barcelona never really go for tier one managers compared to Real Madrid who've had Capello and Ancelotti in last 15 years. They usually go for ex players or football romantics. Last manager right at the top they got was Louis Van Gaal and that was in the 90s.

My guess is they'll beg for Xavi to come now rather than wait for 2021. He's got enough respect in the dressing room to get the old guard motivated a bit more while they change the squad around a bit more. It will be easier to drop Pique and Busquets regularly from first 11 with Xavi telling them the news rather than Quique Setien.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Apparently Pochettino is the main candidate and could sign very soon

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Dumbest managerial appointment in history. Sack your back to back league winning manager who has you top of the table third season in a row in the middle of the season to appoint a nobody who got booed by Betis fans to end up losing the Copa, getting wrecked by Real Madrid, losing the league then getting the biggest CL pounding in knockout history. Easily the dumbest appointment ever.
Aye. Can't think of a worse managerial/head coach decision in any sport. If it wasn't for COVID, this would be viewed as worse than Liverpool or Roma.

Jackal981

Sam Allardyce would grind better result than this moron. He stood there doing nothing when his team was down.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Sancho to Barca incoming? :nervous:
They don’t have the money. Hence the Pjanic/Arthur accounting-swap. They are pretty fecked as long as they pay Messi and Griezmann a combined €2m+ per week.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
They don’t have the money. Hence the Pjanic/Arthur accounting-swap. They are pretty fecked as long as they pay Messi and Griezmann a combined €2m+ per week.
Messi is understandable but who on earth over there is sanctioning such huge contracts. Surely Griezmann et al wouldn’t demand so much to play for Barca.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Told you this guy was a joke @Daysleeper
You did man. For puig to not see a SINGLE minute in the last two matches is the nail in the coffin. However, if we are being honest, the players deserve a lot of the blame too. 70% of this roster has to
Go

alexthelion

Sam Allardyce would grind better result than this moron. He stood there doing nothing when his team was down.
To be fair, he wasn't the only one. Messi did absolutely nothing on that pitch tonight to show any fighting spirit whatsoever. Lose the ball, that's alright, I'll just stand here and watch Bayern go upfield and score another one. Terrible attitude from their captain.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I want Jose to be Barca's manager one day to complete the cycle. From mes un que club to meh cnut club (but intelligent cnut, not stupid cnut).

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's obviously not good enough for that club and it's bewildering how they keep going for these mediocre managers. But the manager isn't the only issue at that club. As long as they are mismanaged from the top they'll continue to decline.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
No one really claim Barca's Valverde will stand a chance. Bayern is the favourite one since the restart but Valverde should never be sacked in the first place not until the season ended especially for much worse manager, the guy literary helped Barcelona to be top of the CL group with Dortmund & Inter in the same group.

Although, I really seriously think Valverde won't get embarrassed as bad as 8-2.

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
No one really claim Barca's Valverde will stand a chance. Bayern is the favourite one since the restart but Valverde should never be sacked in the first place not until the season ended especially for much worse manager, the guy literary helped Barcelona to be top of the CL group with Dortmund & Inter in the same group.

Although, I really seriously think Valverde won't get embarrassed as bad as 8-2.
Just out of curiosity, did you actually watch any of the CL group stage games Barcelona played? That was their worst group stage in god knows how long and that point total paints a very misleading picture. Two good games were Dortmund home and Inter away (which was meaningless). They were torn apart in Germany and somehow got away with a draw, were 1-0 down at home against Inter which had at least two good chances to make it 2-0. One draw and one very underwhelming win against minnows Slavia. With just slightly less luck they could have flirted with elimination.

Sacking a coach mid season is pretty stupid unless you bring an obvious upgrade, I agree on that. They should have done it within half an hour of that Roma defeat, be nice and let him finish the season and win the double he deserved but reiterate he is not staying past the summer.

Loon

:lol:
I wonder how long it will take them to sort this and get back in the two-horse race...?

ti vu

He's obviously not good enough for that club and it's bewildering how they keep going for these mediocre managers. But the manager isn't the only issue at that club. As long as they are mismanaged from the top they'll continue to decline.
Strong managers would challenge both the higher up and the dressing room.

Great team goes in a cycle just like SAF spoke about the height of Pep Barcelona. Now it's the end of a cycle. Eden well run club in their pomp wouldn't guarantee to reach such height of dominance. Their decline is exaggerated. They're still whereabouts to challenge for the league and domestic cups. Some tweak for them to get on good direction, and they would get back to the mix. It's not like they stop attracting good players, while facing an exodus.