Barcelona to fire Valverde. Quique Setién to take over

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Can see Barca having a post Messi decline similar to what Man. United did after SAF left, declining from a top 2 cert to 3rd-4th finishes and maybe even missing out on CL one season. Their general transfers already indicate that to me so badly need a new DOF.

In early 00s they weren't playing in CL every season. Indeed they missed out on CL altogether in 2002/03, finishing 6th and indeed only finished 1 point ahead of Bilbao to make Uefa cup.

Any kid who's started following them from 2008 onwards would think you're making it up but many of us can remember a period where in european terms they were pretty mediocre and also had trouble getting in decent coaches and players.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Can see Barca having a post Messi decline similar to what Man. United did after SAF left, declining from a top 2 cert to 3rd-4th finishes and maybe even missing out on CL one season. Their general transfers already indicate that to me so badly need a new DOF.

In early 00s they weren't playing in CL every season. Indeed they missed out on CL altogether in 2002/03, finishing 6th and indeed only finished 1 point ahead of Bilbao to make Uefa cup.

Any kid who's started following them from 2008 onwards would think you're making it up but many of us can remember a period where in european terms they were pretty mediocre and also had trouble getting in decent coaches and players.
It’s absolutely possible but our board gets out no matter what in may 2021. So we should look better with better management

Eddy_JukeZ

And my point which you quoted said no major stars want to come to united which is true. The only united player I’d want is Bruno, that’s it. De gea has fallen off a cliff.

And great that your better players are under 30, but if fighting for a Europa spot means success for a club that is just as poorly managed as Barca then what can I tell you. United fans bragging over a good streak is funny
We already debunked the major star nonsense with Pogba back in 2016. Now you'll refute it somehow that Pogba isn't a major star despite Real Madrid being heavily interested there.

Funny how the only United player you'd want is Bruno. Pogba-Martial-Rashford would walk into the Barcelona 11.

Pogba and Bruno are better than any of your attacking midfielders. Rashford-Martial are better than any of your attackers bar Messi.

I never stated fighting for the Europa League is a success.

The point remains. Barcelona are trending down and have a MASSIVE rebuild on their hands. United are trending UP.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
And my point which you quoted said no major stars want to come to united which is true. The only united player I’d want is Bruno, that’s it. De gea has fallen off a cliff.

And great that your better players are under 30, but if fighting for a Europa spot means success for a club that is just as poorly managed as Barca then what can I tell you. United fans bragging over a good streak is funny
Mate, Barcelona are fecking terrible. Pogba, Bruno would get in that midfield of misfits. Up front, I wouldn’t trade Rashford/martial for Suarez or Griezmann currently.

Napoli will probably knock you guys out of Europe too

Shark

@NotShark
If we get back into the CL next season I hope we finally dish a bit of the hurt back to Barca, now that they seem to be going through a decline. Messi can't carry them forever.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
We already debunked the major star nonsense with Pogba back in 2016. Now you'll refute it somehow that Pogba isn't a major star despite Real Madrid being heavily interested there.

Funny how the only United player you'd want is Bruno. Pogba-Martial-Rashford would walk into the Barcelona 11.

Pogba and Bruno are better than any of your attacking midfielders. Rashford-Martial are better than any of your attackers bar Messi.

I never stated fighting for the Europa League is a success.

The point remains. Barcelona are trending down and have a MASSIVE rebuild on their hands. United are trending UP.
Pogba was toxic for the longest time and wanted out. Naming a “star” from 5 years ago who has overall underperformed isn’t anything to read about.

United are gonna a good streak we’ve seen it before when ole started and then they fell off a cliff. Nobody envies United’s squad at all. United don’t attract stars this is a fact. If it’s been 4-5 years since you’ve signed one then you’re not really a place players are dying to go to.

Martial is overrated and a poor finished. Don’t care for him at all. I like rashford and Bruno but far more of our players would walk into your starting 11 then your players walking into ours. It’s funny seeing United fans talk smack when finishing fifth and not even being in the same ball park as city or Liverpool is something to “trend upward”
About.

You are vastly overstating United’s trend. Good for them to play better, but it could just be a blip on the radar. Still not even Cl material which is what the types of players that take you to the next level will want to go.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

Indeed, I couldn't believe we lost Ronaldinho to Barca in 2003 as Barca were a club that hadn't done anything of note in years. Back then the likes of Real, Valencia hell even Deportivo and Sociedad were the clubs to watch in Spain

I don't necessarily see that kind of slump for them now (but then I never thought we'd have the slump we've had) but they're going to be in deep shit once Messi's done

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
Think people are going a bit OTT off the back of us beating Brighton...

Barca just drew tonight to the best defensive side in Europe whilst challenging for the UCL and within 3 points of the league leaders. We're fifth behind Leicester and Chelsea. This same Barca team destroyed us over a year ago...

Wishful thinking that we're a better team than Barca or that Barca are "trash"

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
How good has De Jong been since he's arrived at the Camp Nou ?
Surely he's the player to build the future Barca team around now.

Amarsdd

Shiish, no wonder everybody hates Barca. Worst fans in the world. Thank the fantasy in the sky they didn’t win today. Amazing how Real Madrid can be more likeable than any other team, but there you go...
Barca is basically the only team I hate just because of their fans. It started about 15 years ago, and they have only gotten worst.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Think people are going a bit OTT off the back of us beating Brighton...

Barca just drew tonight to the best defensive side in Europe whilst challenging for the UCL and within 3 points of the league leaders. We're fifth behind Leicester and Chelsea. This same Barca team destroyed us over a year ago...

Wishful thinking that we're a better team than Barca or that Barca are "trash"
Thank you. The arrogance from some United over beating the likes of a shambolic Sheffield, Norwich, Brighton and drawing against one of the poorer Tottenham side is so bizarre.

Barca have a lot of issues, no question. But I don’t see anything about a united that would make fans of other major clubs go “damn, I wish we had that”.

Barca will get a new a board after next year. I’m loving Fati and Puig. I think things will get better but it’s going to take a lot of work.

I’m actually happy united are doing well, but for United to be talking rubbish and trending upward against mostly rubbish sides is such a strange hill to die on.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
How good has De Jong been since he's arrived at the Camp Nou ?
Surely he's the player to build the future Barca team around now.

The stupidity of this team involves playing him and Griezmann out of position. De Jong has had some very good moments but like most signings our poor system isn’t accommodating anyone.

I do think major changes will happen next transfer window and if de Jong can take Busquets minutes he’ll fare much better. He’s out for the season right now which sucks.

Eddy_JukeZ

Pogba was toxic for the longest time and wanted out. Naming a “star” from 5 years ago who has overall underperformed isn’t anything to read about.

United are gonna a good streak we’ve seen it before when ole started and then they fell off a cliff. Nobody envies United’s squad at all. United don’t attract stars this is a fact. If it’s been 4-5 years since you’ve signed one then you’re not really a place players are dying to go to.

Martial is overrated and a poor finished. Don’t care for him at all. I like rashford and Bruno but far more of our players would walk into your starting 11 then your players walking into ours. It’s funny seeing United fans talk smack when finishing fifth and not even being in the same ball park as city or Liverpool is something to “trend upward”
About.

You are vastly overstating United’s trend. Good for them to play better, but it could just be a blip on the radar. Still not even Cl material which is what the types of players that take you to the next level will want to go.
It debunks your point. That's the point.

You can't say "United don't attract starts this is a fact" when Bruno was recently and he is a player YOU'D WANT in the side. How hypocritical can you get?

Maybe it's a blip, but we're still trending up.

Martial could be overrated, but he's a better forward option than of your players and has one of the best goals per minute productions in the Prem. How can you call him a poor finisher when he barely takes any shots? When he does, he usually scores.

The season isn't over yet. We didn't finish 5th. You started the smack talk with your nonsense that we don't sign 'stars' and can't attract 'stars'. Something that's been debunked numerous times.

Actually I'm not too sure more of your starting 11 players walk into ours since our team has seemingly settled on a starting 11.

Martial-Rashford
Messi
Pogba-Bruno
De Jong
Alba-Maguire-Pique-Semedo/AWB
Ter Stegen

I mean that's probably a combined XI and there's 6 Barcelona players there if we opt for Semedo over AWB. Hardly staggering.

Who is overrating the trend? 15 games unbeaten with 4 goals conceded in those games. Champions League quality? The side is clearly Champions League quality. Just have to secure 4th or win the Europa.

You constantly deflect from the fact that Barcelona have a MASSIVE rebuild on their hands and are trending down.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Mate, Barcelona are fecking terrible. Pogba, Bruno would get in that midfield of misfits. Up front, I wouldn’t trade Rashford/martial for Suarez or Griezmann currently.

Napoli will probably knock you guys out of Europe too
And I wouldn’t trade for 80% of the players on your squad. We’ll beat Napoli. United are nothing to write home about, not sure what you’re trashy talking for just because you beat Brighton.

Handré1990

Barca is basically the only team I hate just because of their fans. It started about 15 years ago, and they have only gotten worst.
Yup, agreed. I find it funny we have a Barca fan taking a steaming dump on our squad, and fawning over their ability to bring stars, when they can’t seem to make any of them work. Some of our best players now (and most likely over the next 5-8 years) are homegrown. Why did Barca become so dominant again? :confused: Was it because of their great buys? ...

Shark

@NotShark
And I wouldn’t trade for 80% of the players on your squad. We’ll beat Napoli. United are nothing to write home about, not sure what you’re trashy talking for just because you beat Brighton.
You'll beat Napoli if Messi turns up. You're absolutely fecked without him and it'll prove true the more he declines. Really hope we play you next season if we make the CL.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I don't watch Valverde much in his 2nd season & 3rd season. But I remember watching his football a lot in his first season, as a football fans, I thought it was an interesting football that he implemented. The 442, with midfield of Iniesta-Busquets-Rakitic-Rotation of Right Midfield. Slow tempo possession football who relies on Messi to quicken the tempo and play one touch football when near the opposition box. Not sure what happened to him in his 2nd & 3rd season, it seems that Barcelona fans aren't happy with his style of football and calling it defensive. His Barcelona team scoring 90+ league goals per season for two seasons though. Although as a United fans, I don't want to see possession type of football in my club.

Either way, it seems the new appointment isn't doing any better. In fact players actually seem to be happier when playing with Valverde rather than Setien.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
It debunks your point. That's the point.

You can't say "United don't attract starts this is a fact" when Bruno was recently and he is a player YOU'D WANT in the side. How hypocritical can you get?

Maybe it's a blip, but we're still trending up.

Martial could be overrated, but he's a better forward option than of your players and has one of the best goals per minute productions in the Prem. How can you call him a poor finisher when he barely takes any shots? When he does, he usually scores.

The season isn't over yet. We didn't finish 5th. You started the smack talk with your nonsense that we don't sign 'stars' and can't attract 'stars'. Something that's been debunked numerous times.

Actually I'm not too sure more of your starting 11 players walk into ours since our team has seemingly settled on a starting 11.

Martial-Rashford
Messi
Pogba-Bruno
De Jong
Alba-Maguire-Pique-Semedo/AWB
Ter Stegen

I mean that's probably a combined XI and there's 6 Barcelona players there if we opt for Semedo over AWB. Hardly staggering.

Who is overrating the trend? 15 games unbeaten with 4 goals conceded in those games. Champions League quality? The side is clearly Champions League quality. Just have to secure 4th or win the Europa.

You constantly deflect from the fact that Barcelona have a MASSIVE rebuild on their hands and are trending down.

Haha what? Bruno is a star now? United don’t attract stars I wouldn’t even say you have a top 20 player in the world right now. You never ever hear of a major star not associated with united talking about going there anymore. Naming a player from 2016 who by the way has spent just as much time hating being there and having plenty of toxic moments isn’t exactly a selling point .

The best team you’ve beaten was an injured city squad. Yes, we have a lot of work to do with Barca but you’re acting like Barca are doomed for eternity. I wouldn’t trade the roster of the clubs for all the money In the world. Burnley are trending upward too, are they also the hallmark of what Barca should strive for?

Good for United to be playing better, but for a united to spout all this junk because Barca are having a bad season (while still in ucl) is funny. Wouldn’t surprise if by end of next season Barca are still comfortably the better team while united finish fifth.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
You'll beat Napoli if Messi turns up. You're absolutely fecked without him and it'll prove true the more he declines. Really hope we play you next season if we make the CL.

You’d lose just as badly as last year. You got smacked around not sure why you’re so eager to play us especially Considering Messi usually gets up for the epl teams. The fact that united may not even make it to cl you may never face Messi again for all we know.

Shark

@NotShark
You’d lose just as badly as last year. You got smacked around not sure why you’re so eager to play us especially Considering Messi usually gets up for the epl teams. The fact that united may not even make it to cl you may never face Messi again for all we know.
:lol: Messi won't be your savior for much longer mate, time to accept that. Not only United but PL is on the rise in general, I expect Liverpool, Chelsea, City and United to be dominating finals in the coming years. Football comes in cycles and your dominance is over for now.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
:lol: Messi won't be your savior for much longer mate, time to accept that. Not only United but PL is on the rise in general, I expect Liverpool, Chelsea, City and United to be dominating finals in the coming years. Football comes in cycles and your dominance is over for now.
PL is the least competitive it has been in decades. And I agree things come in cycles and we are due for a bad one. No argument there. Just odd that you’re touting this current united side as the future or something. The epl has fared very poorly in ucl this season. What was at the time the 6th best team in la liga beat the supposed top 3 all time epl team. Chelsea got annihilated by Bayern and humiliated.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I would love to be pessimistic but I don't think they are that bad.
Most of the fans I know agree that the players don't give a shit , because they don't respect the coach or because they don't have competition.
A 31-33 year old player is not the same now as it was 20 years ago. I don't think a cleaning is extensible to everyone.
If they want next year they can play with Pjanic, De Jong, Riqui, Messi, Ansu Fati and Trincao, or even sell their three dire signings and buy Lautaro. They could also have Pedri, a great promise on the bench.
Their priority in my opinion should be:
-Get rid of Bartomeu and Abidal
-Sign a coach able to be respected (I don't know if Xavi is the right one)
-Sell Griezmann, Dembélé and Coutinho. Maybe I'm wrong but I think that if Griezmann had signed the first year, without "la decisión", he would have landed in Barcelona on the right foot, without much debate about his position, but now it is a battle between an off-site player and the final years of Messi.I don´t see his future getting better.
-Sell or change the status of certain players, such as Busquets, Alba or Suárez
-Begin to lower Messi a little from his pedestal. When Cristiano was 33, his age and his drop in performance seemed to be a daily issue but it seems that among many Barcelona fans it is still a taboo subject.
The fact that he is not the same, that he should not earn 50 million net, and that he cannot underestimate a coach, because it directly influences the group.

Ideally for Madrid, Bartomeu should survive, which seems impossible . At the moment I hope the veterans will continue to have so much influence + a wrong manager coach

Okey

The post-Messi meltdown at Barcelona should be quite the sight to behold. The names in the OP might just need to be changed again soon by the way. Reports of player disaffection already surfacing...

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
And @Eddy_JukeZ no hard feelings, you’ve always been a good poster and very respectful towards Barca in the la liga thread. I know we don’t quite see eye to eye on this topic but I Geneuinely hope united grab a CL spot. You guys do have a good core.

AR87

-Sell Griezmann, Dembélé and Coutinho. Maybe I'm wrong but I think that if Griezmann had signed the first year, without "la decisión", he would have landed in Barcelona on the right foot, without much debate about his position, but now it is a battle between an off-site player and the final years of Messi.I don´t see his future getting better.
-Sell or change the status of certain players, such as Busquets, Alba or Suárez
I think this is extremely difficult to do in a way that improves Barca's finances in the way they need. Messi is covering up so much right now, but at a very basic level who was their last major buy who came in and was an unequivocal success? When you spend as much as they have on Coutinho, Dembele, Griezmann, etc. and they flop to the point that recouping your investment or even coming close to doing so is impossible you're heading down a very dangerous path. The impact of COVID-19 is also going to hurt their financial health a ton.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I think this is extremely difficult to do in a way that improves Barca's finances in the way they need. Messi is covering up so much right now, but at a very basic level who was their last major buy who came in and was an unequivocal success? When you spend as much as they have on Coutinho, Dembele, Griezmann, etc. and they flop to the point that recouping your investment or even coming close to doing so is impossible you're heading down a very dangerous path. The impact of COVID-19 is also going to hurt their financial health a ton.
Yes, tremendously complicated. Griezmann may have a market but also a very difficult salary to assume. No one is going to risk with Dembele if he doesn't have a few months of continuity, and maybe Coutinho will do like James this year. Try his luck and hope a decent offer arrives.
Barcelona continue to generate a lot of money. I think that at this point they would willingly accept to sell at a loss in order to reduce wages.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Still convinced they'd have won the league if they had kept Valverde, regardless of how unattractive his style of play was.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
For what it's worth, a Reddit 'itk' is saying he's heard Setien has already been sacked or is being sacked tomorrow.

padr81

Supports
Man City
We'd comfortably beat Barcelona in their current state.
The feck? Liverpool only beat them 4-3 last season in a season where they got 97 points and won the CL, and are likely to get 100+ this season in a league where United can't break 70.

They are currently having a terrible season by their standards but are in with a chance of winning the CL (albeit not faves) and whilst hanging on a bit after tonight La Liga too. They are currently a point behind a side who are only 2-1 down to a City team that were smashing premier league records the last couple of seasons and could well knock them out of Europe.

I understand United are improving and on a good run but they are currently sitting 5th in the Premier League behind Leicester City. Any talk of comfortably beating Barca in their current state is ridiculous.

The only English team I'd fancy to comfortably turn Barca over is Liverpool and only then if they had a full Anfield behind them. Barca v Liverpool or City would be 50-50 games, they'd be heavy favorites against any other team from the Premier League and rightly so.

The underrating of Barcelona on here currently is mental. They are competing for the two biggest titles available to them at the business end of the season.

van Persie

You keep bringing up beating Brighton, like - are you that desperate for an argument? United have gone through a transition period just like Barcelona is heading into now.

Look at Barcelona's future. Some serious trouble coming. The whole squad is going toast and is aging and struggling. Alba? 31. Pique? 33. Rakitic? 32. Busquets? 31. Vidal? 33. Suarez? 33. Messi? 33. Griezmann.. €120 signing.. 29. Come back in 10 years.

United at this point have a far better looking future. Maybe you are a glory hunter that forgot the days before your own golden era. Just like United had not that long ago. Enjoy what's coming for ya.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
The feck? Liverpool only beat them 4-3 last season in a season where they got 97 points and won the CL, and are likely to get 100+ this season in a league where United can't break 70.

They are currently having a terrible season by their standards but are in with a chance of winning the CL (albeit not faves) and whilst hanging on a bit after tonight La Liga too. They are currently a point behind a side who are only 2-1 down to a City team that were smashing premier league records the last couple of seasons and could well knock them out of Europe.

I understand United are improving and on a good run but they are currently sitting 5th in the Premier League behind Leicester City. Any talk of comfortably beating Barca in their current state is ridiculous.

The only English team I'd fancy to comfortably turn Barca over is Liverpool and only then if they had a full Anfield behind them. Barca v Liverpool or City would be 50-50 games, they'd be heavy favorites against any other team from the Premier League and rightly so.

The underrating of Barcelona on here currently is mental. They are competing for the two biggest titles available to them at the business end of the season.

Thank you thank you thank you. But then again a lot of United fans were feeling confident heading into the tie last season and look what happened. We are in the worst form of this season but even Barca aren’t THIS bad.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
You keep bringing up beating Brighton, like - are you that desperate for an argument? United have gone through a transition period just like Barcelona is heading into now.

Look at Barcelona's future. Some serious trouble coming. The whole squad is going toast and is aging and struggling. Alba? 31. Pique? 33. Rakitic? 32. Busquets? 31. Vidal? 33. Suarez? 33. Messi? 33. Griezmann.. €120 signing.. 29. Come back in 10 years.

United at this point have a far better looking future. Maybe you are a glory hunter that forgot the days before your own golden era. Just like United had not that long ago. Enjoy what's coming for ya.
In ten years we’ll have a whole new squad.
Pretty dumb to assume Barca will be bad forever and even Barca at their lowest are still better than current United. I Only brought up Brighton because some of you lot are vastly overrating united acting like they’re on the verge of winning multiple CL’s or something. I didn’t just wake up and say let me randomly attack United. I actually like the club and happy they’re in good form. There has just been a load of nonsense coming from United fans in this thread. No thanks. Enjoy Europa league

mu4c_20le

You really think Barca have some god given right to be at the top? You blew like 400M on flops and Messi isn't getting any younger. I'd be more cautious if I were you, declines can happen to any club and rebuilding isn't as easy or straight forward as some fans like to believe.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
You really think Barca have some god given right to be at the top? You blew like 400M on flops and Messi isn't getting any younger. I'd be more cautious if I were you, declines can happen to any club and rebuilding isn't as easy or straight forward as some fans like to believe.
In what world did I say rebuilding would be easy, or that Barca would remain on top? We are in a horrible position with the worst board in football history. We are in poor shape. I just don’t buy into the fact that we are going to be AC Milan all of a sudden like you lot are saying. We’ll have a new board by May and then we’ll see what happens. We are certainly due for some
Down years but I don’t buy that in ten years we are going to be finishing 7th in the league or something.

van Persie

In ten years we’ll have a whole new squad.
Pretty dumb to assume Barca will be bad forever and even Barca at their lowest are still better than current United. I Only brought up Brighton because some of you lot are vastly overrating united acting like they’re on the verge of winning multiple CL’s or something. No thanks. Enjoy Europa league
When did I assume Barcelona would be bad forever? I said Barcelona is heading into a MASSIVE transition period because their core is aging and won't be prolific for much longer. If even now, just like United have been going through a period of decline after dominating english football for years - because it's literally impossible to find that consistency to do it for eterenity unless your team have been touched by god.. who doesn't exist. It's all evident by history

You think it's going to be that easy? Well, let's look at the players that was supposed to keep on carrying the torch after your golden years. Sergi Roberto? Thiago? Gerard Deulofeu? Rafinha? Bartra? Sure bud, it doesn't work like that. Your team need to replace Rakitic, Busquets, Vidal, Messi, Suarez, Pique, Alba, Griezmann and many more else in the coming years. You will need a massive fortune of luck to do it especially with FFP, but least La Masia keeps rocking. Haha.

You had a golden generation. Just like Manchester United did. Appreciate that. It wont stay like that. Ti'l the next.

Edit: Maybe Gai Assulin. "The Next Lionel Messi". Playing in the romanian league today. It's so god damn naive.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster

How many points did you get last season against that 97 point season? How many times have we beat you this season without being close to full strength?