Barcelona vs Manchester United | Build-up Thread

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Fun tie.

I'd be more worried if we looked out of contention for top four. But as is being knocked out and losing those extra games wouldn't be the end of the world. And if we win, that's just good news.

I’m loving my life

So typical that we got this tie.

I guess while Abu Dhabi were bribing people there would have been a stipulation to coincidentally shaft us in in the process. Also, adds value to the‘product’ and eventual super league to have two big clubs playing each other

Kaos

Meh I'll take it. I'll even pretend its a CL knockout game just to make it feel like we're one of the big boys again :wenger:

Really need Varane back for the first fixture as Lindelof-Maguire up against Lewandowski is nightmare fuel, and ideally Ronaldo would be no where near the team too. Hopefully he's fecked off to Saudi or the MLS by then.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
They'll beat us, fairly easily. Their midfield and offense is much better.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
They'll beat us, fairly easily. Their midfield and offense is much better.
That's the spirit.

If we have a full strength side, with an extra few months of Ten Hag's coaching, I actually feel confident about this one.

Also, the chance of knocking them out after their summer and the arrogance they've shown would be wonderful.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
What do you mean?
I went there 4 years ago for our last 16 game against them. We were directed by the police to walk a specific route to the stadium and we were attacked with bricks and bottles by about 100 bellends waiting for us. After the game the stewards started beating up anyone they could see with their batons and this caused a stampede over the most unsafe makeshift bridge I've ever seen. Oh and I got mugged after getting back to the centre. Apart from that it was grand.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
It was always 50/50 between these cnuts and Ajax - I'd prefer playing these, hopefully we're not completely exhausted and ravaged with injuries when we play them.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I went there 4 years ago for our last 16 game against them. We were directed by the police to walk a specific route to the stadium and we were attacked with bricks and bottles by about 100 bellends waiting for us. After the game the stewards started beating up anyone they could see with batons and this caused a stampede over the most unsafe makeshift bridge I've ever seen. Oh and I got mugged after getting back to the centre. Apart from that it was grand.
The mugging doesn't surprise me, that's par for the course in Barça. The rest is shocking though.

Marshal

As a Spanish FC Barcelona supporter with Man Utd being my PL team, I would say Barça is a bit favorite but they are quite weak in the mental side during big games after 4-5 years of humiliations.

Man Utd has to use this weakness to beat them when they are down. Also most teams are physically superior to Barcelona and that should be an advantage for MU too.

Busquets is a semi-retired player and Xavi keeps giving him big nights. He is totally out of pace for big games and a big hole where fast players from Man Utd can destroy Barca. However maybe in February he might not be the main choice anymore. I would say this team will be the starting 11:

Ter Stegen

Kounde Araujo Christiensen Balde

FDJ

Pedri Gavi

Dembelé Ansu Fati

Lewandowski

Confirmed 100% if no injuries: Ter Stegen, Kounde, Araujo, Pedri, Dembelé and Lewandowski

Doubts:
- Kounde in the center for Christiensen and Sergi Roberto or Bellerin in the RB: would be a place to exploit for Man Utd). Or Eric Garcia for Chistiensen keeping Kounde in the RB.
- Busquets instead of FDJ: High pressure on Busquets to force mistakes and fast players to make him run and never reach would be a good choice.
- Ferran Torres or Raphina could play instead of Ansu Fati who is out of confidence right now. but in February if he is in good shape he is the best of the 4 wings
- FDJ could play where Gavi if Busquets is in the starting XI
- Jordi Alba could play instead of Balde, he is also useless defensive so if this happens Ten Haag should attack there.

AFC NimbleThumb

Knew I should have put my house on this tie, blatant fix - biggest draw this competition could have hoped for.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Happy enough with a glamour fixture. If we have to play Lindelof and Maguire it could be a long old tie but maybe they'll surprise us.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Lindelof or Maguire against Lewandowski in the Nou Camp...the horror, the horror.

There's a chance they might not be very interested in the EL since they will probably be in the mix for the La Liga title till the end this season.

It's not as bad as it seems. If we beat them, it will be a great boost for our team. If we lose the tie, we'll focus on a top-four finish which, given the lack of squad depth and ETH's minimum rotation, is a decision it seems we'll be forced to make sooner or later.

Anyways, they are tough but they aren't anything special either. Inter more than deserved to kick them out of the CL. If you defend well, the spaces to hit them in transition are plenty. Inter could have scored 7-8 goals in Nou Camp and Bayern Munich made them look like a pub team in both legs. The big question is whether we can get our shite together by then or not.

For those asking, the dates are 17 & 24 of February. You can add them to the OP.

SAFMUTD

Worse draw we could have got. Hopefully were playing way better than right now by then, and with a healthy Martial and Varane.

peridigm

Didn't realize they were top of the league. Thought they were struggling. Oh well. Let's hope both sides manage to keep players fit after the WC.

Wilt

Adds a lot of kudos if Utd can win the competition.

ForeverRed1

We just got to not get beat at Nou Camp then go for it at OT. Fans will need to be 12th man and make it as intimidating a experience for Barca as possible.

flappyjay

Uefa must be pissed though at the very least they would have wanted a game like this at semis if not the final itself.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Lewandowski, De Jong, Pedri, Gavi, Dembele, Raphina.

It'll be a miracle to get CL next year, beating Barca or getting top 4. The Glazers need to open the cheque book in the winter to help Top 4.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
As a Spanish FC Barcelona supporter with Man Utd being my PL team, I would say Barça is a bit favorite but they are quite weak in the mental side during big games after 4-5 years of humiliations.

Man Utd has to use this weakness to beat them when they are down. Also most teams are physically superior to Barcelona and that should be an advantage for MU too.

Busquets is a semi-retired player and Xavi keeps giving him big nights. He is totally out of pace for big games and a big hole where fast players from Man Utd can destroy Barca. However maybe in February he might not be the main choice anymore. I would say this team will be the starting 11:

Ter Stegen

Kounde Araujo Christiensen Balde

FDJ

Pedri Gavi

Dembelé Ansu Fati

Lewandowski

Confirmed 100% if no injuries: Ter Stegen, Kounde, Araujo, Pedri, Dembelé and Lewandowski

Doubts:
- Kounde in the center for Christiensen and Sergi Roberto or Bellerin in the RB: would be a place to exploit for Man Utd). Or Eric Garcia for Chistiensen keeping Kounde in the RB.
- Busquets instead of FDJ: High pressure on Busquets to force mistakes and fast players to make him run and never reach would be a good choice.
- Ferran Torres or Raphina could play instead of Ansu Fati who is out of confidence right now. but in February if he is in good shape he is the best of the 4 wings
- FDJ could play where Gavi if Busquets is in the starting XI
- Jordi Alba could play instead of Balde, he is also useless defensive so if this happens Ten Haag should attack there.
We will see if Barcelona makes signings in January. Maybe the RB is Foyth.

sokol11

What Bayern has shown is that Barca is vulnerable when defending quick transitions. And we have quite a few attackers that relish counter attacking and a bit more open space. If really first game is in Spain that should play into our hands even more. We can set up on the counter and take a 2-3 away goal lead back to Old Trafford. :) Casemiro will also relish this game.

sokol11

Lewandowski, De Jong, Pedri, Gavi, Dembele, Raphina.

It'll be a miracle to get CL next year, beating Barca or getting top 4. The Glazers need to open the cheque book in the winter to help Top 4.
Raphinha? 1 goal and a few assists in 17 appearances? nothing to be scared of.

scottser

we'll probably beat barcelona but get hammered by union berlin or shaktar donetsk

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Can’t let their twinko mode midfield control the games. Will be a tough ask.

Hughie77

Did we expect anything else. And it was the first 2 balls out!! . If they weren't first 2 they would have been the last 2. I don't really mind if we have to play Barcelona , if Barca are touting they are the under dogs bullshit . Camp Nou full and as usual it will be a shitty referee always the same in Spain. Script can be written now we all know how it goes when we meet Spainish opposition. We can do it though.

Hughie77

We just got to not get beat at Nou Camp then go for it at OT. Fans will need to be 12th man and make it as intimidating a experience for Barca as possible.
Yes like 2008 . With massive Believe all over the place. Plus a decent ref would help.