Baseball Playoffs

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
You're not watching these games live again are you Barry?

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
Dans said:
You're not watching these games live again are you Barry?
fecking am.

Was out watching Man Utd an fell into bed at 10.30. Rose around 2.30 am and fell back to sleep at 6.00am I am fecked at this stage. The wife has had enough.

Great game Dans. Did you see it?? Don't want to say too much if you didn't see it.

Dans

bazalini said:
fecking am.

Was out watching Man Utd an fell into bed at 10.30. Rose around 2.30 am and fell back to sleep at 6.00am I am fecked at this stage. The wife has had enough.

Great game Dans. Did you see it?? Don't want to say too much if you didn't see it.
I want to watch the games but I feel far too fecked the next day, so I'm waiting for it to get interesting before I think about getting up at 2am and hoping I don't fall asleep in the 8th which is what I normally do.

I've seen yesterday's result and it appears it is getting interesting. I'll be watching Saturday's game whatever happens - I just wish they would play Friday too and avoid game 7 being on a Sunday.

I'm with you all the way as far as the Yankees losing goes. Come on you small time Marlins!

bazalini

My first game was with the Marlins in 96. One of those things to do when on hoilday. Have seen them 5 times since. I like the fact they are underdogs and a good team spirit.

Just back from San fran where I took in 3 games over there against the Dodgers and A's. Big baseball fans and my relations are big into the San Fran Giants. One in fact is closely connected to the Yankees and would be a mate og Big George St.

Anyhow they all had their tickets organised for the World Series thinking they would walk all over the Marlins. Needless to say I am rubbing them in it.

Come on the marlins and well done Clements.

bazalini

Anyhow – Looper left 3 Yankees on the bases in the 11th after Urbina came on in the 9th for the Marlins to win the game with the Marlins 3-1 up. The Yankees came back and scored 2 runs. It had some great pitching with none of the starting pitchers giving up any walks and the respect that Clements received off the fans and Marlins players was testament to the good nature of American sports fans.

kennyj

Some of the Yankees are struggling at the plate right now and it really hurts in the clutch situations. I think that Soriano may snap out of it but Boone looks lost. Looper pitched very well, as did Pavano. Great clutch double by Sierra.

Yanks would like to get Sierra into the lineup in right. Garcia hasn't done much hitting but is a decent fielder. Sierra is a little shaky out there.

Anyway, it's a best of three now. Credit to the Marlins, I was surprised that the Yankees didn't win last night.

redinsyd

I watched until about 11.20pm last night when the Yankees got 2 runs in the middle of the 9th to level it at 3-3. By then my eyes were starting to close and I had to get to bed. I was surprised when I put the news on this morning and saw that the Marlins had won it 4-3 in the 12th - but pretty glad that I'd not stayed up watching it!

I've said for a few days now that the Marlins would win 1 down in Florida and the Yankees would wrap it up on Saturday night in The Bronx. I still think that the Yankees will win tonight and set it up nicely for Saturday night

:cool:

Dans

Bloody hell! 3-2 Marlins. Will they win it in Game 6 at Yankee Stadium?

Jens

redinsyd said:
I watched until about 11.20pm last night when the Yankees got 2 runs in the middle of the 9th to level it at 3-3. By then my eyes were starting to close and I had to get to bed. I was surprised when I put the news on this morning and saw that the Marlins had won it 4-3 in the 12th - but pretty glad that I'd not stayed up watching it!

I've said for a few days now that the Marlins would win 1 down in Florida and the Yankees would wrap it up on Saturday night in The Bronx. I still think that the Yankees will win tonight and set it up nicely for Saturday night

:cool:
They´re off today for travelling. Game 6 in the Bronx is tomorrow night.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
With the way Pettitte has been pitching, one must like the Yankees chances in game 6. Beckett will pitch on 3 days rest and the Yanks did get on base against him in game 3 (Beckett got the loss, Mussina got the win). Then, if a game 7 is forced, Mussina will oppose Pavano. Pavano had a fantastic game 4, but was it a one off performance? Is Mussina going to finally have that dominant post-season performance?

I still like the Yankees chances. But Bernie's blast falling about 5 feet short of tying the game then Matsui's liner being nabbed by Lee, not to mention some bad defensive plays by New York and some incredible pitching by unknowns in the Florida staff, one must start to think maybe it is Marlins Magic.

Interesting stat- the last 6 teams to lose game 5 on the road and drop to a 3-2 deficit have won games 6 and 7 at home. Anaheim '02, Arizona '01, Minnesota '91 and '87, Kansas City '85, and St Louis '82.
WS Comebacks from 3-2

However, only 3 times have the Yanks go down 3-2 in this fashion...and all 3 times they have lost. Yanks lost game 6 at home to LA in 1981 (which during the past 22 World Series, only LA and Toronto '92 have won game 6 on the road with a 3-2 lead), Yanks won game 6 at home in '57 but lost game 7 at home to Milwaukee Braves, and in 1955, Yanks won game 6 at home, but lost game 7 at home to Brooklyn.

redinsyd

Jens said:
They´re off today for travelling. Game 6 in the Bronx is tomorrow night.
Yeah, I thought that the Yankees would have won last night in Miami and then finished the job in game 6 on Saturday, as it stands they have to win on Saturday to take it to game 7 :nervous:

C'mon Yankees :keano:

It seems slightly unfair that after following the Yankees all season, going to games and enjoying the banter with RedSux fans at work all season that if the Yankees win on Saturday night I will be on a plane down to Argentina on Sunday evening whilst the deciding game is being played

:(

kennyj

Yankees were hurt by Wells injury and some sloppy defense. They are not playing well right now.

If Torre is going to play Enrique Wilson, he should bench Boone, play Wilson at third base, and bat Soriano at the bottom of the order.

If I were McKeon, I'd save Beckett for Game 7. They only need one win. If you start him on 3 days rest he may not be as sharp and if the Yankees beat him in Game 6 the Marlins are screwed for Game 7. Pitch Beckett on normal rest and he should pitch well in Game 7. They could also start somebody else and use Beckett in relief in Game 6 if they get the lead.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I reckon the Yankees might just sweep this because of their superior pitching and well...cos they're the Yankees. :cool:

kennyj

Raoul said:
I reckon the Yankees might just sweep this because of their superior pitching and well...cos they're the Yankees. :cool:
C'mon Raoul, they only have to sweep two games in Yankee Stadium. They've done that before. :cool:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I kind of figured the pitching wasn't going to be THAT much of a factor since both staffs are comparable - and of course the Braves had the best pitching in the majors for 13 years and only have one title to show for it. The Johnson/Schilling combination was a bit different because both of them were pitching at a very high level coming into that series and I predicted that the DBacks might have a chance to pull it out in 7 in spite of being up against a solid Yankees lineup. Recent history (Marlins 97, DBacks01, Angels02) suggests that the series might well come down to the wire. I think this year might well be the same case.

kennyj

Raoul said:
Recent history (Marlins 97, DBacks01, Angels02) suggests that the series might well come down to the wire. I think this year might well be the same case.
I hope that you are right. :) IMO, Yanks have stronger starting pitching with the exception of Beckett and a much better closer, but the relievers are pretty even and Looper may even give a slight advantage to the Marlins. I think that the Yankee bats are making the Marlin starters look a little better than they are. I'm not crying, but if Wells had been healthy, last night's result may have been different. Contreras is new to all of this and has been inconsistent.

Anyway, here's hoping for two more exciting games. And the Yankees winning! ;)

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
kennyj said:
I hope that you are right. :) IMO, Yanks have stronger starting pitching with the exception of Beckett and a much better closer, but the relievers are pretty even and Looper may even give a slight advantage to the Marlins. I think that the Yankee bats are making the Marlin starters look a little better than they are. I'm not crying, but if Wells had been healthy, last night's result may have been different. Contreras is new to all of this and has been inconsistent.

Anyway, here's hoping for two more exciting games. And the Yankees winning! ;)
I'll take that. I'm certain that if Wells had been well (excuse the pun) the Yankees would have won it. I believe (hope) taking it back to Yankee Stadium will do the trick.

MrMarcello

I believe Pettitte is pitching tonight...and he's been darn good this post-season...will pitching on 3 days rest and the pressure of winning the Series tonight affect Beckett in a negative way?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
dunno. I think McKeon is taking a gamble and trying to end the series in 6 by putting his ace up. If the Marlins lose tonight, you can bet the press is going to second guess the decision to start him.

MrMarcello

Past history shows it has worked about half the time...but most of those past events were during the days of 4 man rotations, where only 3 started post-season games. I can't say I blame McKeon for starting Beckett tonight, but after 7 months of strain on an arm, I think I would take my chances on winning game 6 and save my ace pitcher for game 7. However, win tonight with Beckett pitching good, then McKeon is a genious.

Lose tonight, and I don't see Pavano throwing as good in game 7 as he did in game 4. I think the Marlins have to go for the win tonight...I don't see them winning a game 7 with Mussina starting, Yankee Stadium rocking, the Yanks due a good offensive performance, Rivera looming in the pen, and the fact that only a handful of Marlins have played in a game this pressure packed where as about 20 Yankee players have been there at least once.

MrMarcello

Raoul jumps on the bandwaggon...

Congrats...they played great...wonder how many in Florida will call themselves true fans and say they cheered the team on the last two seasons...

Hopefully they will keep the club together this time around. I wonder if Pudge will resign because it will take about $10 million per year to keep him.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
MrMarcello said:
Raoul jumps on the bandwaggon...

Congrats...they played great...wonder how many in Florida will call themselves true fans and say they cheered the team on the last two seasons...

Hopefully they will keep the club together this time around. I wonder if Pudge will resign because it will take about $10 million per year to keep him.
Bandwagon ? I'm from south florida and have always supported them since their inception. I just don't follow baseball as closely as football. ;)

I think they'll make maximum effort to hold on to the likes of Pudge and Jack McKeon after what happened in 97. This is truly an amazing story. Two winning seasons in franchise history and two World Series titles to show for it.

Gillespie

Pitying all you northerners doomed to a life of cu
redinsyd said:
Yeah, I thought that the Yankees would have won last night in Miami and then finished the job in game 6 on Saturday, as it stands they have to win on Saturday to take it to game 7 :nervous:

C'mon Yankees :keano:

It seems slightly unfair that after following the Yankees all season, going to games and enjoying the banter with RedSux fans at work all season that if the Yankees win on Saturday night I will be on a plane down to Argentina on Sunday evening whilst the deciding game is being played

:(

Surely not going on a business trip ,Red ?

Oh,btw,shame about the Yankees

kennyj

Two boys are playing hockey on a pond on Boston Common when one is attacked by a rabid Rottweiler. Thinking quickly, the other boy takes his stick, wedges it down the dog's collar and twists, breaking the dog's neck. A reporter strolling by sees the incident and rushes over to interview the boy. He quickly writes "Young Bruins Fan Saves Friend from Vicious Animal"...."But, I'm not a Bruins fan," says the little boy. "Sorry, being from Boston I just assumed.........He then rewrites..... "Red Sox Fan Rescues Friend from Horrific Attack" ....., "I'm not a Red Sox fan either" the boy says......"What team do you root for?" the reporter asks...."I'm a Yankees fan" the boy replies. The reporter writes, "Little Bastard from New York Kills Beloved Family Pet."