Baseball Playoffs

kennyj

Gillespie said:
Could be all over tonight with veteran pitcher Burkett lined up against Pettitt. :(
Burkett is made to order for the Yanks, but if he's getting hit Little will give him a quick hook. You may see Wakefield in pretty quick. Big game with Pedro lined up for tomorrow.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Jens said:
The doubleheader is on the telly here tonight and I think I´ll watch it.

What?? Premiere showed both games last night??

redinsyd

Gillespie said:
Hmmm.....doesn't look good.2-3 down to the yankees with final 2 games at yankee stadium.Could be all over tonight with veteran pitcher Burkett lined up against Pettitt. :(
I'm pretty sure that it will be all over this afternoon, but then again I was pretty sure that it would be all over for the Marlins last night - meaning I would get stuck in traffic on the way home tonight, but the Cubs choked and I won't have to worry about traffic jams (until tonight if the Sux win this afternoon :nervous: )

C'mon Yankees - the curse lives on

:keano:

26 may 1999

Striker
I saw that on sky i think...

There was a commentater talking Russian and loads of guys playing rounders in their pyjamas.

Next thing you know this guy twats the ball into the stands and a feller caught it...then dropped it...and the guy in the pyjamas with the big glove who also tried to catch the ball was bowing down to him and saying well done.

What was all that about then?

Does the fan get to keep the ball then?

kennyj

Giambi Home Run. Yanks lead 1-0 after 1 inning. Soriano hit one to the wall in center for the first out.

Yankees usually hit Burkett hard. Very windy in town today - could be a good day for a knuckleball pitcher.

Jens

How often do you go to Yankee Stadium, Kenny?

How will you be selling WS tickets if you make it and how many season ticket holders do you have?

kennyj

Jens said:
How often do you go to Yankee Stadium, Kenny?

How will you be selling WS tickets if you make it and how many season ticket holders do you have?
It varies from year to year. Usually I make about 15 games a year at Yankee Stadium. But all the games are on TV so it's easy to catch most games. There are 162 games in a season, so there's 81 regular season home games. That's too much for me. I have season tickets to the Jets in the NFL - that's only 8 home games.

I don't have season tickets. There's usually tickets available for most games. Season ticket holders get first crack at the playoff and World Series tickets. The rest are sold at the Stadium or on-line at Ticketmaster.

Usually I get tickets to the playoffs and WS on-line. This year I didn't because I missed the time when they started selling them. The playoff/WS games sell out in an hour or two.

I don't know how many season ticket holders there are. They sell full season and partial plans, like every Friday night or day-game packages. A lot of season ticket holders are corporations, so a lot of the time I can get free tickets for games. The Mets also play in NY, so sometimes I go to Shea Stadium and watch them. Those tickets are very easy to get because the team stinks.

If the Yankees play the Chicago Cubs, I've heard brokers will be selling tickets for $2,300 in Yankee Stadium and $6,300 per game in Wrigley Field (Chi).

Anyway, I'm going to head to the bar to watch the rest of the game. The little TV I have in my office is starting to get to me.

Dans

26 may 1999 said:
Not at all.

4-1 top of the 4th now. Pettite is not going to win this imo. Burkett can only lose it now, or of course their bullpen might revert back to regular season form.

kennyj

26 may 1999 said:
Thanks 26, but it's early and the Yanks will come back. They always do.

If the Yankees win today the playoff series with Boston is over and the Yanks go to the World Series. If the Yanks lose, the playoff series goes to the 7th and final game. I was hoping that ity wouldn't come to that because the Sox have their best pitcher going. We'll see what happens.

kennyj

Here they come! Two hits, then a run in on a Johnson double. Ball bounced into the stands or he would have had a triple. 4-2.

4-3 - run scores on a Boone groundout. Man on second two out.

Error Garciapara (Mr. Mia Hamm). First and third, Sorianno up.

Dans

Oh well, he's gone and lost it, or Garciaparra has - bit harsh on Burkett but he is giving up the hits. Cheerio Sox.

kennyj

The Yankee lead 5-4 - A double by Sorianno.

BTW, the run total on the game is 9 1/2 runs. I have the over. :D

Burkett is being relieved. Pounded again. Thanks for the gift Nomar.

kennyj

Nicole Kidman at the game.

After the Yanks hit, I'm gone. I can be at the bar with a beer without missing a pitch.

Walk to Jeter - 2 on, 2 out.

Uh oh - Giambi is up. This could be the game.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
WOW!!! :eek: Kerry Wood smashed a monster homerun...at least 375 feet if not closer to 400. This is going to be tense game...go Cubs!!!

Well, the Yanks blew it today...had a chance to bust open the game in the 6th but stranded runners at 2nd and 3rd...then Contreras got touched up in the 7th and the Sox took the lead in a wild way...then Nixon homers in the 9th and the Yanks go down in order...sets up tomorrow's rematch...Pedro vs. Roger...I take NYY 5-4 in 11 innings...both starters will be effective, but not dominant...i figure neither will last through the 7th and I do expect Wakefield to pitch in this game...especially if the game goes extra innings...tomorrow's game will be one for the ages...

ManUtd.USA

Was a prenatal Cubs fan. Mom used to watch while pregnant with me. Oh I could feel the love! ;) I have suffered as a Cubs fan enough for two lifetimes I swear. My hair is turning gray as we speak! :lol:

BTW,Moises Alou is awsome.

Shit Wood just walked one. Two on one out in the fifth and Pudge Rodrigez fecking got a double! :mad:

ukbob

Caf's Coolest Rag n Bone man
ManUtd.USA said:
Was a prenatal Cubs fan. Mom used to watch while pregnant with me. Oh I could feel the love! ;) I have suffered as a Cubs fan enough for two lifetimes I swear. My hair is turning gray as we speak! :lol:

BTW,Moises Alou is awsome.

Shit Wood just walked one. Two on one out in the fifth and Pudge Rodrigez fecking got a double! :mad:
The curse of the goat.! They should have let the gypsy in !!

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
Yippeee Go Marlins. Happy fuking days.

BTW Any word on that Cubs Fan. I would not like to be him. Face was all over the TV. He will have nowhere to hide. I'd hire an agent and try to make money out of it.

Dans

The Governor of Florida offered him 3 months away from Chicago staying in some waterfront appartment on him. A Holiday Inn down there offered to pay his flights, his steaks, his martinis, etc etc He'll be fine, he just can't ever go back to Chicago! He's currently in hiding apparently. Makes you laugh doesn't it? I do feel sorry for him though. Poor, poor, stupid Cubs fan.

Dans

Gillespie said:
Great result for the Redsox !!

I stayed up to past 1am last night to see the whole game.(Why was the guy walked to load the bases and then go pitch 4 balls for a run ??)
Because he hit a home run at his previous at bat. Dumb decision in hindsight though because the MRs flopped miserably.

bazalini

Dans said:
The Governor of Florida offered him 3 months away from Chicago staying in some waterfront appartment on him. A Holiday Inn down there offered to pay his flights, his steaks, his martinis, etc etc He'll be fine, he just can't ever go back to Chicago! He's currently in hiding apparently. Makes you laugh doesn't it? I do feel sorry for him though. Poor, poor, stupid Cubs fan.
I wouldn't wish it on anyone apart from you.

Dans

bazalini said:
I wouldn't wish it on anyone apart from you.
This is no place for your petty insults Barry. You fecking woman.

bazalini

Dans said:
This is no place for your petty insults Barry. You fecking woman.

What has got up your fecking nose. Go dig yourself an early grave and put yourself in it.

redinsyd

Gillespie said:
Great result for the Redsox !!

I stayed up to past 1am last night to see the whole game.(Why was the guy walked to load the bases and then go pitch 4 balls for a run ??)

Great homer from Nixon.Looks tight tonight.......Come on Pedro !!

GO REDSOX !!!!
It was a good game last night, but a lot of the runs were wind assisted which made it a bit of a lottery. It's clear and sunny today though so no such problems are expected this evening.

C'mon Yankees!

Gillespie

Pitying all you northerners doomed to a life of cu
redinsyd said:
It was a good game last night, but a lot of the runs were wind assisted which made it a bit of a lottery. It's clear and sunny today though so no such problems are expected this evening.

C'mon Yankees!

The conditions were the same for both teams,so I don't see that as a valid reason for a turn around....however,you've got to say yankees are the favourites tonight.

But do you reckon we might see an appearance from our slow ball supremo? (aka knuckleballer extraordinaire Tim Wakefield) ?? After all,he did seem to bamboozle the Bronx Bombers in his previous performances !!

redinsyd

Gillespie said:
The conditions were the same for both teams,so I don't see that as a valid reason for a turn around....however,you've got to say yankees are the favourites tonight.

But do you reckon we might see an appearance from our slow ball supremo? (aka knuckleballer extraordinaire Tim Wakefield) ?? After all,he did seem to bamboozle the Bronx Bombers in his previous performances !!
I'm not looking for excuses, I was just explaining why there were more runs than there have been in the previous games between the Yankees and the Sux this series. Whilst the conditions were the same for both teams you must agree that unpredictable winds make an upset more likely.

What sort of a reception do you think Pedro will get in The Bronx tonight? On the radio this morning on the way to work they kept playing that bit of commentary "Zimmer has thrown a punch at Pedro, and Pedro has thrown him to the ground". I can see everyone being a bit fired up especially considering the rivalry between the two teams and with so much at stake.

I can't see Wakefield having any part of tonight's game, it's too soon since he last pitched isn't it? :confused:

Good luck tonight, but I hope you lose - c'mon Yankees

Gillespie

redinsyd said:
I'm not looking for excuses, I was just explaining why there were more runs than there have been in the previous games between the Yankees and the Sux this series. Whilst the conditions were the same for both teams you must agree that unpredictable winds make an upset more likely.

What sort of a reception do you think Pedro will get in The Bronx tonight? On the radio this morning on the way to work they kept playing that bit of commentary "Zimmer has thrown a punch at Pedro, and Pedro has thrown him to the ground". I can see everyone being a bit fired up especially considering the rivalry between the two teams and with so much at stake.

I can't see Wakefield having any part of tonight's game, it's too soon since he last pitched isn't it? :confused:

Good luck tonight, but I hope you lose - c'mon Yankees

I think Pedro has the 'cajones' not to be put off by a partisan yankee crowd,let's face it...as a pitcher this is exactly the game you want to be involved in.....it could get him hero status and so finish the reviled Rocket's career on a fantastic high for the Redsox.

I wouldn't bet against Wakefield appearing though I agree it's unlikely.....as a knuckleballer,he doesn't put as much pressure on his throwing arm and so could be ready for some action tonight.

Good Luck too,but I hope the Redsox win the pennant beating their most bitter rivals tonight on their way to beating the curse of the bambino and securing their first World Series since 1918 !!

GO REDSOX !!!!!!!!!!

redinsyd

Gillespie said:
I think Pedro has the 'cajones' not to be put off by a partisan yankee crowd,let's face it...as a pitcher this is exactly the game you want to be involved in.....it could get him hero status and so finish the reviled Rocket's career on a fantastic high for the Redsox.

I wouldn't bet against Wakefield appearing though I agree it's unlikely.....as a knuckleballer,he doesn't put as much pressure on his throwing arm and so could be ready for some action tonight.

Good Luck too,but I hope the Redsox win the pennant beating their most bitter rivals tonight on their way to beating the curse of the bambino and securing their first World Series since 1918 !!

GO REDSOX !!!!!!!!!!
Do you know what a Piñata (pronounced pin-ya-da) is? It looks like a big mosquito made out of paper mache, and it's traditionally filled with candy, etc. At events such as kids parties they suspend one from a line and the kids take it in turn to be blindfolded and bash fcuk out of the Piñata and then when it explodes the kids get the candies.

This morning on the radio they had a Pedro Piñata and had invited people to bash an effigy of Pedro which contained tickets for tonight's game :eek:

They kept saying "We don't under any circumstances condone violence towards Pedro" but you got the impression that they wouldn't be too upset if Pedro was used as a Piñata tonight! Feelings are running high, and Manny Ramirez (who incidently grew up in Washington Heights where I live now) is not well liked either especially after him going towards the mound with his bat raised on Saturday - imagine how crazy it will go if he gets a winning run late in the game. In the interests of keeping public order in New York I hope that the Yankees win tonight!

C'mon Yankees

Gillespie

redinsyd said:
Do you know what a Piñata (pronounced pin-ya-da) is? It looks like a big mosquito made out of paper mache, and it's traditionally filled with candy, etc. At events such as kids parties they suspend one from a line and the kids take it in turn to be blindfolded and bash fcuk out of the Piñata and then when it explodes the kids get the candies.

This morning on the radio they had a Pedro Piñata and had invited people to bash an effigy of Pedro which contained tickets for tonight's game :eek:

They kept saying "We don't under any circumstances condone violence towards Pedro" but you got the impression that they wouldn't be too upset if Pedro was used as a Piñata tonight! Feelings are running high, and Manny Ramirez (who incidently grew up in Washington Heights where I live now) is not well liked either especially after him going towards the mound with his bat raised on Saturday - imagine how crazy it will go if he gets a winning run late in the game. In the interests of keeping public order in New York I hope that the Yankees win tonight!

C'mon Yankees

I'm truly shocked.As a dyed in the wool Arsenal fan I abhor and can never condone mindless acts of violence. ;) I trust the urbane Bostonians will not face the barbarity of the gangs of New York.Let's hope NY's finest are up to the job!

GO REDSOX !!!!!!!!!

mike1116

Gillespie said:
GO REDSOX !!!!!!!!!
:cool:

Look at me come crawling back. Used to be the biggest Wade Boggs fan, and followed the Sox pretty hardcore until a few seasons ago.

I'm back now though for the playoffs.

Don't feck it up Pedro.