Baseball Playoffs

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I don't expect either starter to make it past 6 innings. This will be a good game decided by one run, possibly in extra innings. If the Sox have a one run lead in the 9th, I expect Wakefield to appear. If the Yanks have a one run lead in the 9th, game over when Rivera steps on the mound. I hope this is a game for the ages tonight...and a Yankees win.

MrMarcello

Not looking good for NY right now...Pedro is placing his pitches very nice...he looks sore though...Clemens served Nixon with an easy homerun pitch and Nixon took him yard...then Wilson, playing 3B instead of Boone, gives up another run with a wild throw...not looking good...but this should make the game very interesting late...

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Looking good now.They left pedro in too long.tied score going into the ninth.What a game.What a series.

MrMarcello

Irony...Cubs were up 3 runs and 5 outs away from World Series and lose game 6, then game 7.

Red Sox were up 3 runs and 5 outs away from World Series...stand by... :eek:

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Classic case of the superstar pitcher telling his boss he wants to stay in.Little should have taken him out.If he takes him out and the Red Sox win in comfort -Pedro's career is legendary.

MrMarcello

njred said:
Classic case of the superstar pitcher telling his boss he wants to stay in.Little should have taken him out.If he takes him out and the Red Sox win in comfort -Pedro's career is legendary.
On the flip side, if Little takes Pedro out and the bullpen blows the lead or loses the game in the 8th, the second guessing would begin. Many would say leaving Pedro in would have saved the Sox and he would have cemented his legendary status in MLB history. I can't blame Little for leaving him in to face Matsui, but I think he should have taken him out after Matsui doubled. Pedro was pitching good, not great, but was getting the hitters out.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
After Matsui would have been fine.But that was 3 straight hits.BTY -how good is Jeter.He is what you call a winner.

RUnited

Gold Member
Gillespie said:
I'm truly shocked.As a dyed in the wool Arsenal fan I abhor and can never condone mindless acts of violence. ;) I trust the urbane Bostonians will not face the barbarity of the gangs of New York.Let's hope NY's finest are up to the job!

GO REDSOX !!!!!!!!!
Once again you don't show up when your team loses.. ho ho ho, Christmas is early in New York this year.

Go Yankees!!! :devil:

kennyj

MrMarcello said:
sets up tomorrow's rematch...Pedro vs. Roger...I take NYY 5-4 in 11 innings... I do expect Wakefield to pitch in this game...especially if the game goes extra innings...tomorrow's game will be one for the ages...
Excellent prediction. Yanks won 6-5 in 11 innings and Wakefield was the loser.

kennyj

In Boston he's known as Bucky fecking Dent. Now there's also Aaron fecking Boone.

All these bad things with Boston have the letter B:
Buckner
Bucky
Boone
and Babe

kennyj

Gillespie said:
(Why was the guy walked to load the bases and then go pitch 4 balls for a run ??)
It was done to get an advantage in the matchup. Most lefthanded throwers are tougher on lefthanded hitters. Varitek can switch hit (Bats both righty and lefty) and would have batted righthanded against the lefhanded thrower Heredia. So they put him on intentionally because the percentages say that the lefthanded hitter Damon had less of a chance of getting a hit.

It was poor startegy by Torre. Varitek is not as good a hitter righthanded and Heredia walks too many batters. With the bases loaded, there's no place to put another runner. Heredia walked Damon (not intentionally), the run scored, and I was cursing Torre.

kennyj

26 may 1999 said:
Did we win then?
Yes, we won. When things looked darkest the Yankees rallied dramatically to win 6-5 in 11 innings (two extra).

Before yesterday, the teams had played each other 26 times, with each side winning 13 games.

Yanks advance to the World Series to play the Florida Marlins. Yankees are about 3 to 1 favorites, which is pretty big. Florida appears overmatched, but sometimes strange things happen.

kennyj

Raoul said:
Go Marlins.... :cool:
Tough luck Raoul. This is like U Miami agaist Rutgers, only this time we're the U Miami. ;)

I like a few of your players though. Pierre, Beckett, Conine & Lowell (ex-Yankee). They can be bothersome and they don't give up. Don't like Urbina.

Gillespie

Pitying all you northerners doomed to a life of cu
MrMarcello said:
Awesome game...Boone will go down in Yankee lore and will be grouped with Dent, Buckner, etc. in Boston...wow!!! :eek:

Yanks over Marlins in 6.
BOLLOX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fecking curse of the bambino strikes again......why the feck didn't Little pull Pedro in the 7th when he was beginning to show signs of brittleness??
This was the Redsox's game.They should have won.Clemens was getting his ass kicked !!

BOLLOX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

26 may 1999

Striker
kennyj said:
Yes, we won. When things looked darkest the Yankees rallied dramatically to win 6-5 in 11 innings (two extra).

Before yesterday, the teams had played each other 26 times, with each side winning 13 games.

Yanks advance to the World Series to play the Florida Marlins. Yankees are about 3 to 1 favorites, which is pretty big. Florida appears overmatched, but sometimes strange things happen.
Well done Florida!...Gaining independence like that.

This world series then...who's in it?

America...Florida...who's the others?

Jens

Torre has a problem now. Who gets the start on the mound tomorrow night?

JcUSANY

Jens said:
Torre has a problem now. Who gets the start on the mound tomorrow night?
I love this team, they are amazing, i didnt think this team had it in them to come back they did it.. i was running around my house last nite jumping for joy.. i havent been this happy since yanks beat the mets in 5 in 2000. Now i get to pay $350 for tickets to see the yankees in florida and join about 30,000 yankee fans as we take over pro player.

Game 1 starters Weaver or wells vs penny

Jens

Wells, Mussina, Pettite and Clemens then?

Mussina did really well last night.

kennyj

Jens said:
Wells, Mussina, Pettite and Clemens then?

Mussina did really well last night.
Torre will announce the rest of the rotation on Saturday. He wants to see how tired everyone is.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
kennyj said:
Tough luck Raoul. This is like U Miami agaist Rutgers, only this time we're the U Miami. ;)

I like a few of your players though. Pierre, Beckett, Conine & Lowell (ex-Yankee). They can be bothersome and they don't give up. Don't like Urbina.
I see this as a fairly even series. The Yankees don't seem to have an advantage. Wouldn't be surprised if Florida wins in 7. (ala Arizona). :cool:

MrMarcello

Yanks win game 2, as always (it seems that way).

0-3 in game 1s...3-0 in game 2s...Pettitte was great tonight on 3 days rest...should have had a shutout if not for Boone's error. Pettitte has been the winner in each of the 3 game 2s for NY this postseason.

Now it's on to Florida where 50,000 bandwaggoners will show up (Florida averaged about 16,000 per game during the regular season).

Attendance report

Jens

i usually go for the underdog and dont like the yankees alot, but the marlins owner seems to be a cnut of the highest order when you look at what he did in montreal ... steinbrenner is no angel, but the marlins owner is way worse and it seems like there´ll be another fire sale in florida this off season

it´d be nice to see ivan rodriguez getting a ring tho ... but still, go yankees!

the payroll difference shows what´s wrong with baseball tho .. something needs to be done

Raoul

Admin
Staff
MrMarcello said:
Yanks win game 2, as always (it seems that way).

0-3 in game 1s...3-0 in game 2s...Pettitte was great tonight on 3 days rest...should have had a shutout if not for Boone's error. Pettitte has been the winner in each of the 3 game 2s for NY this postseason.

Now it's on to Florida where 50,000 bandwaggoners will show up (Florida averaged about 16,000 per game during the regular season).

Attendance report
You can't knock bandwaggoners for showing up for such an exciting event. After all the Marlins won the World Series and this years team actually looks like staying together over the long run. Also its good to see Pudge in a World Series after all those years on crap teams. :)

kennyj

MrMarcello said:

Attendance report
There will be lots of Yankee fans there. They have a huge fan base in Florida.

kennyj

Raoul said:
I see this as a fairly even series. The Yankees don't seem to have an advantage. Wouldn't be surprised if Florida wins in 7. (ala Arizona). :cool:
The difference being that Arizona had arguably the two best pitcjhers in baseball, Schiiling and Johnson, and the Marlins best pitcher is Josh Beckett. I don't see this as even at all, but the best team doesn't always win the WS, so you have some hope.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
kennyj said:
The difference being that Arizona had arguably the two best pitcjhers in baseball, Schiiling and Johnson, and the Marlins best pitcher is Josh Beckett. I don't see this as even at all, but the best team doesn't always win the WS, so you have some hope.
I made the case for Schilling and Johnson before the World Series started and I was still getting alot of smack that the Yankees had the advantage in that series as well. The Indians had a much stronger team on paper in 97 and look what befell them. I think this is going to be an all out war that could well be decided in 7.

MrMarcello

Raoul said:
You can't knock bandwaggoners for showing up for such an exciting event. After all the Marlins won the World Series and this years team actually looks like staying together over the long run. Also its good to see Pudge in a World Series after all those years on crap teams. :)
Ummm...Texas was an average team from Pudge's rookie year, 1991, through 1994...they had a bad 1995, but were a very good team from 1996-1999...they sucked just recently...nice try...

Oh, and 3 times the Rangers and Pudge appeared in the post-season, the Yankees eliminated them...and that 1999 Ranger team was every bit as good as the current Marlins team...

kennyj

Raoul said:
I made the case for Schilling and Johnson before the World Series started and I was still getting alot of smack that the Yankees had the advantage in that series as well. The Indians had a much stronger team on paper in 97 and look what befell them. I think this is going to be an all out war that could well be decided in 7.
The Yankees damn near won that series with the D-Backs, having a lead and Rivera on the mound. I just don't see this Marlin team having much of a shot. Their starting pitching is weak, the bullpen isn't that great and they don't have a lot of power. IMO they were the third or fourth best team in the NL. They are solid on defense and I respect the quality arm that Beckett has, but overall the team may be a little too young for the WS. Yanks have too many players who have been there before. We'll see what happens but it seems like something of a mismatch to me. I'll admit that I'm probaly not the most obective person on this.

redinsyd

kennyj said:
Why so pessimistic? ;)
:lol:

I watched up until the rain delay last night, and was glad to hear that they'd won 6-2 in the end on the radio this morning.

It could well be Clemens' last game tonight, lets hope that he doesn't get too fired up and let the atmosphere get to him.

It sounded like a pretty pro-Yankees crowd down there last night - how come Florida only get attendances of 15,000 during the regular season and can still make it to the WS? :houllier: