Bastian Schweinsteiger interview

steve zizou

It's bigger than that, honest!
Mourinho can be an cnut but Schweinsteiger was taking the piss with us during his time at United. It wasn't the fact that he was often injured, though that was frustrating enough, it was that there were reports he'd fly off back to Germany or to watch tennis while he's supposed to be recuperating.
Just because he's watching tennis every weekend doesn't mean he's not recovering from injury. Why do people think injured players must stay at home locked in a cryo chamber? Maybe he should have stuck around Carrington dishing out bibs in training :lol:.

GueRed

Another pointless, past-it signing post Fergie.

Yep Germany and Bayern Legend.

But lad was fecking finished when he joined us, some of his performances for us were underwhelming to say the least.

BorisManUtd

I still cannot remember a single thing he did in a Utd shirt. I've got absolutely nothing.

It was actually counted as Deeney's own goal but this comes to my mind. We move closer to the top of the league and then ruined everything next month and couldn't even finish top 4.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
Interesting chat, i love the professionalism contast with some footballers that go straight to social media if things are going against them. I liked him but he was clearly past his best when he came to OT and although it could have been handled better it was the right call at the time to move him on.

Loving the massive palatial table too and Bond villain lair vibe, it reminded me of James Bond and Stromberg.

Himannv

I still cannot remember a single thing he did in a Utd shirt. I've got absolutely nothing.
Not sure why I remember it, but this one for me:

We were shit in this game against the team that went on to win the league that season but he stood strong and scored that scrappy goal that got us a point.

criticalanalysis

I wrote a post about him a few months ago in another thread :

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/rvp.480907/page-3#post-31624050

Again, with perhaps an even more crazier take, I also felt Schweinsteiger, again despite his injuries/physical decline should have played more and Schneiderlin deserved more game time. I never really got the 'omg they were so physically bad and terrible players'. They barely played to even register that conclusive take.
And when they did, I always felt they were at least somewhat progressive and tried to do the right things. At the least, I had thought they were not the worse options. I know that's a very low bar but that was my general feeling, although enduring LVG and Mourinho football at the time probably made me deluded in some way or another anyways.

Can someone with a good memory and who appreciates midfield play, categorically say 'no mate, they were absolute shite' or 'the hyperbole about them was definitely louder than their actual performances, which didn't deserve it'?

M Bison

Supports
York City
Certainly a shit way to be treated but no one is treated that way for a laugh. Worth noting he was also on £180k a week and had played a whopping 18 times in 2 seasons. We essentially have/had a bunch of people who are just looking for the manager to tell them how to do their jobs instead of the other way around. The interview was interesting, it seemed as though he had a lot of knowledge about most things and gave 'politician' answers to some things he didn't want to talk about. Reminded me a lot of Herrera. Says stuff you want to hear because it confirms your bias but not at any point is there any reflection on their own behaviour.
For me thats down to poor leadership within the hierachy and if its rotten at the top that filters down throughout (similar to the last 10 years with other players), i doubt Bayern would ever have considered Basti a poor pro.

CallyRed

The best thing Bastian did in his time here was that sensational pass away at Club Brugge

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Not sure why I remember it, but this one for me:

We were shit in this game against the team that went on to win the league that season but he stood strong and scored that scrappy goal that got us a point.
I don't remember the goal, but i'll always remember him scoring in that fixture, as i was trudging back from a Wycombe game in the rain at the time!

HookedOnAPhelan

Mourinho was and is an absolute cnut and anyone defending him is also an absolute cnut.

Schweinsteiger was taking the piss during his time with us though. Like Casemiro now.

RedDevil@84

Haven't seen the whole interview. But that doesn't seem like a Jose decision at all. If Jose doesn't like someone, he would go ranting about the player everywhere.
Did they explain later why Jose would do it?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Haven't seen the whole interview. But that doesn't seem like a Jose decision at all. If Jose doesn't like someone, he would go ranting about the player everywhere.
Did they explain later why Jose would do it?
When Schweinsteiger left United Jose talked publicly about doing him wrong. Didn't say at the time what he meant, but this issue sounds like it. So probably it was a Jose decision.

didz

When Schweinsteiger left United Jose talked publicly about doing him wrong. Didn't say at the time what he meant, but this issue sounds like it. So probably it was a Jose decision.
In our accounts, when he was dropped Schweinsteiger was listed as an 'exceptional item' rather than a 'playing asset' which to me suggests the decision probably came from above.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
In our accounts, when he was dropped Schweinsteiger was listed as an 'exceptional item' rather than a 'playing asset' which to me suggests the decision probably came from above.
True, but the style how to communicate it to him had to be decided by someone, and after what both Jose said then and Schweinsteiger now I believe this could have been Jose's decision.

Sanchez7

Gary rightly said he is embarrassed at how United treated him and I feel the same way. If the club was well run, you could give the benefit of the doubt to the management but given the shit show that it has been, I'm firmly on Bastian's side.

arthurka

The club is just poorly run and are times like a rudderless ship. Fully in Basti's side here.

big_jeffstar

Has everyone forgotten that he skipped matches to go and watch his girlfriend play tennis??
that’s my lasting impression of his time here..

Chairman Steve

Has everyone forgotten that he skipped matches to go and watch his girlfriend play tennis??
that’s my lasting impression of his time here..
Yeah that was my impression of him too. He was here for a pension boost regardless of whether he liked us or not.

Never take on players who give off the impression they’re doing you a favour.

ShinjiNinja26

Disgraceful way to treat a legend of the game. Especially one that has a genuine love for the club despite barely playing here. Shit like this is embarrassing to hear, I’m glad INEOS are cleaning house and getting rid of bums like Murtough.

Last edited:

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Now you know why the club has been a shitshow for a decade

It clearly wasn't all Jose but the training with kids and alone is certainly down to him

In hindsight, the staying in Germany thing doesn't look good, but the club were happy with it so he did nothing wrong there

GNev was being diplomatic about the sausage I reckon, I don't think he really liked it :D

Winrar

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
My take:

- Absolutely shoddy treatment by the club. Not the first nor the last time during the Woodie era. Before him, Moyes found about from the press he was fired and VG was given his marching orders, or became aware of it, right after the FA cup final. Woodward was really a coward. How that man was allowed to continue to see through our demise is a mystery to me.

- Having said that, he wasn't completely innocent. He got injured and then was gallivanting across Europe watching Ivanovic. I think our club's was in such a state that they all thought they can piss about.

- Completely delusional to think that in 2015-16 a team of DeGea - Valencia Smalling/Jones Rojo Shaw - Carrick Schweinstegier Pogba Herrera - Rooney Zlatan with Rashford & Mata supporting them could have won major trophies. Half the guys were over the hill and other half weren't good enough. Barring De Gea none of them were on a World class level by then.

Blood Mage

Hardly surprising, the club was absolutely rudderless under Woodward so a prick like Mourinho could get away with treating some of our players like garbage. Schweinsteiger was a legendary player who deserved better treatment even if he shouldn't have been signed.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I agree it’s bad he was being treated so poorly. I do think though that if Rashford was treated like that by a new manager people would be giving it “finally someone with the balls to put a fire up our players’ arses”.

Yet someone like Rashford has actually contributed to United over the years whereas people are protective over BFS as he’s a CL winning legend…at another club. There’s no doubt he was taking the piss a little here.

Last edited:

Juicy Juiced

I agree it’s bad he was being treated so poorly. I do think though that if Rashford was treated like that by a new manager people would be giving it “finally someone with the balls to put a fire up our players’ arses”.

Yet someone like Rashford has actually contributed to United over the years whereas people are protective over BFS as he’s a CL winning legend…at another club. There’s no doubt BFS was taking the piss a little here.
Lingard too, scored FA goal for us. Fellaini, always gave all wasnt scare of any duel, Mike Smalling.
But G Nev knows his shit. UTD plus controversy equals free money.

lex talionis

Disgraceful how Bastian was treated by United, who somehow after Ferguson left became a club that treated its players disgracefully, either overly indulging players who weren’t in it for the trophies or running them out of the club without so much as a thank you note for their service.

It’s going to take a lot more than replacing the manager to undo the damage that has been done over the last decade.

Redivy

One of my favourite players. Imagine having a prime Schweinsteiger in this midfield. Would make a world of difference.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
If we did this to a WC winner why aren't we doing this to players who have largely underperformed since then, to players like Maguire and Co...

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
If we did this to a WC winner why aren't we doing this to players who have largely underperformed since then, to players like Maguire and Co...
My guess on the whole situation:

- There was some sort of communication gap between the club and his medical team.
- His European tennis watching tour while we were struggling on the pitch wasn't a good look for the club.
- Two managers had failed and millions had been pissed down the drain under Woodie's leadership of the club. He wanted to act big billy bollocks and found an easy target in Schweinsteiger.
- Let's be honest, he was over the hill when he joined us and then got injured. We didn't miss much by having him banished. Jose was new to the club and signed off on it.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Did you play fussball? "ja"
Did you play tennis? "nein"
Why did Jose refuse to acknowledge your existence then? "ja ist twat"

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Just because he's watching tennis every weekend doesn't mean he's not recovering from injury. Why do people think injured players must stay at home locked in a cryo chamber? Maybe he should have stuck around Carrington dishing out bibs in training :lol:.
Didn't do a lot to alleviate the notion that he was just at United for the paycheck whilst counting the days to his retirement.

Glorio

However you look at it, that story reflects terribly on the club and it's management

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
And with club approval
That's what I remember but what kind of club would reject that request? You have a player who is injured and has the rare opportunity to spend quality time with his spouse who is also a professional athlete and has a similarly tight schedule. You have to be the biggest asshole on the planet to require that player to be in the stands and clap.