Batman: Arkham Knight

JinnerJamie

Small ginger

Game Informer: April Cover Revealed – Batman: Arkham Knight

The developer that made Arkham a household name is back. Rocksteady Studios' Arkham Asylum innovated with the freeflow combat system and stalking gameplay in 2009, and the team blew it all out to an open world in 2011's Arkham City. Rocksteady is hoping to raise the bar even higher on what will be its final Arkham game. Set after the events of Arkham City, Batman: Arkham Knight may just end the Dark Knight's journey.

As you've probably guessed from the cover imagery, the Batmobile is finally a core element of the gameplay. An entirely new area of Gotham City, far larger than Arkham City, has much wider streets to accommodate the new driving gameplay that is designed to integrate smoothly with Batman's gliding and grappling traversal. Batman chases down super villains Scarecrow, Penguin, Two-Face, Harley Quinn, and more.

Arkham Knight will release later this year on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC.

I for one am just a little bit excited about this, Arkam Origins wasn't a bad game but it wasn't that great. I'm glad to see RockSteady back in the seat for this, even if it is for the last time.

Last edited:

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Considering the hype, Origins was awful in my opinion. I enjoyed Asylum the most.

Looking forward to the scarecrow segments, they were great in Asylum.

Castia

Looks great and it's back with Rocksteady Entertainment, it will probably be one of the best games released this year. Origins was a prequel made by WB games, this is the true sequel to AC.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
So this is going to be like GTA in a Batmobile? I'm in.

Next-gen only?

Leg-End

I hope its next-gen only, lets start getting the benefits.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
This may be the first major reason for me getting a next-gen console... Yes, it seems it is. Absolutely loved all of the previous ones; this one looks like it could blow them out of the water. No joker though :(

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Hope to have a PS4 by the time this comes out. I've loved every Arkham game and this looks amazing too.

Some details:

-City is 5 times larger than Arkham city
-One character is the equivalent of an entire environment in Arkham Asylum
-Arkham Knight is the name of the main antagonist of the game.
-Single Player only
-Gliding is quicker to accomadate for larger environments
-Things such as Gordon's trench coat and Batman's cape now have Apex cloth physics. They react realistically to changes in wind and movement
-When it rains beads of water run down Batman's suit tracing every groove
-The wrinkles on Gordon's face crinkle as he talks
-The city is as detailed as ever with realistic moving clouds with the moon shining through
-Halloween characters and balloons litter the street adding a creepy vibe
-Neon signs of the various shops shine brightly around the city
-The skyline has helicopters and blimps flying through it

-Arkham Knight takes place in a new central zone of Gotham City, which is split into three island and is in total roughly five times the size of Arkham City
-Rocksteady is emphasising the detail is more important than the scale of the world. They don't want to create the biggest open-world, they want to create the richest, densest and most vibrant

-Arkham Knight takes place one year after Arkham City
-Each villain has his/her own mission in the city and it's intended to spread Batman thin
-Scarecrow has threatened to blow up bombs in gotham and cover it with a new version of his fear toxin, so the city is ordered to evac
-Only criminals remain in the city; Gordon and his forces have been overwhelmed
-In the demo there are between four and five times the number of thugs in Gotham City than in Arkham
-Riots can feature up to 50 characters destroying things

-All of the game's cutscenes take place in-engine, there are no pre-rendered cinematics. They are seamlessly integrated.
-Batman can glide through glass surfaces
-He has throw counters that grabs enemies and launches them into another for double damage
-Hazards in the environment such as power generators can be mixed into combat

-Batmobile is designed to be "the best car in any game ever", it takes up around 160mb of memory in game and will just about fit in anXbox 360(if that was the whole game). There are hundreds of thousands of polygons, as well as textures and shaders used on it
It zooms to your location at the touch of the button
-It can do burnouts, jumps, boosts and "rotate in a circle at a full stop to get you pointed in the right direction
-It is bulletproof and can smash through barricades, trees and building corners
-Enemies will try and jump out of its way
-Driving gameplay is balanced with out-of-car gameplay so players don't just stay in it all the time
-While Batmobile has speed and damage Batmanhas a better freedom of movement and gadgets,
-Players can swap between the two based on what the job requires
-Batmobile can missile lock and fire an immobilizer at enemy vehicles
-Batmobile is designed to segue perfectly with Batmanand his navigational skills

-Kevin Conroy is going to be voicing Batman, Nolan North will be voicing Penguin, Wally Wingert will be doing Riddler, Tara Strong returns as Harley Quinn and Troy Baker will be Two-Face

From Game Informer (apparently, saw it on another forum with no link.)

Dante

Average bang
A map that's 5 times bigger than Arkham City isn't a good thing imo. Asylum was one of my favourite games of all time and its easily accessible, claustrophobic feel was part of the reason. Travelling from one corner of City to the other bored the pants off me.

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
A map that's 5 times bigger than Arkham City isn't a good thing imo. Asylum was one of my favourite games of all time and its easily accessible, claustrophobic feel was part of the reason. Travelling from one corner of City to the other bored the pants off me.
This is the modern game these day's, one of the good things about Origins was the ability to fast travel between various points in the city. Hopefully it is one of the only things they incorporate from that game.

Tomalonge

Most games with a large map have some sort of faster travel. They'd be kicking themselves in the foot if they didn't.

They did say Batmobile, to be fair.

Lance Uppercut

Really liked Asylum. Wasn't fussed on City. Skipped Origins.

I will give these previews a look after work.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Origins wasn't developed by RockSteady, so I don't really take it into consideration or let it cloud my hype for Arkham Knight.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Just don't base the gameplay entirely on 'counter' button Assassin's Creed style and this could turn better than Arkham City. Possibly maybe come close to Asylum if the story's level will be restored after Origins...

Batmobile stuff should redefine Arkham as something close to real life city but it may be just a small addition for the hype. Don't believe sellout media like IGN or Machinima too much.

I don't have much against UT3 engine but they're gonna have to tweak it to next gen standards this time. I remember few games with this engine had some texture loading issues during gameplay including fading and slight delay of their appearance. Bioshock Infinite comes to mind as one of few.

After official release PC version will be most likely tweaked by modders with Sweetfx and few other tools via edition of settings.ini files but next gen consoles users won't have options if the game will use the same shit over and over again.

I really hope the level of bullshit will be smaller than actual progress of this game because as many folks here and in general I love Batman. Best comic book character with Judge Dredd for me.

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
Looks like it could be delayed until next year:

'Batman: Arkham Knight' Release Date Delayed Until 2015?

Rocksteady’s “Batman: Arkham Knight,” which the company was set to launch this fall for the Xbox One, PC and PlayStation 4, may be delayed until next year, according to a rumor from WonderCon Anaheim 2014, a sci-fi, comic book and motion picture convention held in California April 18-20.

During a DC Comics All-Access event, panelists told the audience that the release date for the upcoming action-adventure game had been pushed back to sometime next year, despite a previously confirmed Oct. 14 release date. DC is the publisher of the "Batman” comic book series and the owner of the rights to the superhero that Rocksteady has based its “Arkham” game series around.

The panelists included DC editors Mike Cotton, Shelly Bond and Jim Chadwick. Their involvement with the game’s production hasn’t been confirmed, but it doesn’t seem likely any DC employee would lie about their involvement to a dedicated group of "Batman" fans.

Rocksteady hasn’t confirmed the delay rumor, although it may still be in the process of deciding on a realistic release date for the game.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Driving scenes looks mental. Hopefully steering will be fluid with gadgets included just like in Tim Burton's interpretation.

Batmobile aspect finally getting solid attention in a Batman story. Huge plus for developers for that.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Origins tried to look like a brand new Batman game through new 'detective mode' options but yeah, it failed... though I liked Deathstroke's appearance, and fighting him was cool and had momentum like in some complex fighting game. Deathstroke was a beast in Injustice. DC's finest assassin.

Also in Arkham Knight the batsuit looks modular and more futuristic as the series progresses. Another cool little detail that definitely may work for the game.

Just hoping now that story will live up to standards and it will sustain that dark atmosphere from Arkham Asylum.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
I'm ok with this as if the game needs more work then that's whats gotta happen. Plus, October is pretty stacked anyway with games releases, there's about four games coming out in October alone I want to get.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Strange, they keep delaying all the big games. I swear there are more next-gen games that are delayed than the ones that come in time.

Pscholes18

Origins was simply pathetic, no way near Asylum and City.

This looks much better indeed.
Looks like i made the right choice today at Game Stop. After recently finishing City which I loved, I wanted to go pick up either Asylum or Origins...the guy at the counter wasn't much help so I bought a used copy of Asylum. Looking forward to playing it.

Leg-End

Quite a long way off but we now already have a title to look forward to next summer.

Bojan11

Good release date. As the early part of next year is already looking crazy and I am glad they didn't add to that.

stu_1992

Disappointing that it's so far away. It'll definitely be a goo time of year for it though.

Red Stone

Batman is not cool with killing. But shoving a guy's head into a fuse box so he gets electrocuted is apparently perfectly fine.

I'd bet only half of the people he beats up will ever walk again :lol:

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Batman is not cool with killing. But shoving a guy's head into a fuse box so he gets electrocuted is apparently perfectly fine.

I'd bet only half of the people he beats up will ever walk again :lol:
Funny you should say that, Batman has alway been a bit of a badass when it comes to Injuring criminals