Gaming Battlefield 3

Pronewbie

Peep
Been playing Battlefield 2 all day. I love this game. Is there a server that alot of CAF members use (pc)?
Are you referring to Bad Company 2? I've played with Dingledoog on the aussie servers a couple of times. I'm in Singapore though. You can add me on Steam/BFBC2. Nick's Pr0newbie and Pronewbie respectively.

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
More information has come out of a PC Informer magazine issue

-Aiming for CY Q4 2011 release
-Concept for BF3 has been in the works for years, waiting on proper tech to seamlessly come together
-Frostbite 2.0 is the culmination of this tech, entirely re-written
-Lighting sounds neat, one "probe" contains more lighting information than an entire BFBC2 level.
-Level destruction is going to be "believable" but basically everything is destructible.
-Character animations powered by ANT, what EA Sports uses.
-AI characters and multiplayer characters have different animation sets
-No more "gliding" animations that look off, animation realism is a focus
-Captured their own war audios (bullets, tanks, helicopters, etc) at different distances to ensure realism
-Better audio cues for certain actions, more easily able to listen for threats
-Plan on better, more immediate post release content
-More unlocks than BFBC2
-Dice trying to find a good balance between customization of your character and not having "pink rabbit hat(s)"
-4 classes
-Will talk about squads "later"
-Looking into a theater mode but can't talk about it
-Will have co-op
-There will be a kill-cam but it can be turned off
-BF3's team is almost twice as big as the team for BFBC2
-They want the pacing of the single player mode to be balanced, with highs and lows. Makes the comparison to a song vs a guitar solo.
-Part of the single player mode takes place in Sulaymaniyah - Iraqi Kurdistan.
-"feck" will be used often, so M rated for sure
-There will be an earthquake in a level. The destruction sounds very impressive. 7 story building collapses, looks very well done
-Significant narrative that goes with the SP mode
-More than one setting, you're not in the middle east for the whole game
-PC version is lead version
-Why 64 players for PC only? No complains from the console crowd.
-No mod tools at release. Maybe none down the line either. Frosbite 2.0 is complex and mods tools would have to be dumbed down, so does Dice really want to put their time to that or would it be better spent elsewhere?
-Original story, not based on Bad Company at all.
Yes, good.

Pronewbie

Peep
More information has come out of a PC Informer magazine issue

Yes, good.
I'm definitely getting this based on my experience with BC2, and also the fact that PC will be the lead platform. Between this and CoD's multiplayer, Battlefield is the superior game. I have a friend who came over yesterday for some FIFA and watched me play BC2 Rush for a few minutes and practically gaped at all the action that was unfolding in front of me while i was driving on a jeep towards the enemy's base. I realised that I concentrate so much on playing the game that I forgot how beautiful everything looks and unfolds, and with a purpose, too (I'm looking at you, COD).

I hope having 64 players means less stacking of good players on 1 side because that is my current pet peeve. Being on the way stronger team feels good. Fighting it out with 2 teams evenly matched while having a strong camaraderie with your squad and/or teammates is an incredible experience.

Enhanced audio cues will be a a good addition for me despite playing the game with a Beyerdynamic DT880 because there can be some difficulties judging an enemy's distance. I don't mind if they increase the distance from which I can hear players running.

I think a large minority are going to be peeved about having only 4 classes.

I wonder how organic level destructions will be this time round.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
The thing about multiplayer is not making it looks good, but making it playable for most people. I remember playing assassin's creed and in less than 1 hour my VGA card's almost toasted.

Pronewbie

Peep
The thing about multiplayer is not making it looks good, but making it playable for most people. I remember playing assassin's creed and in less than 1 hour my VGA card's almost toasted.
I have the luxury of owning a decent mid-range card (GTX 260) that supports some of the frills.

You will find that BC2 runs on PCs that can't run Black Ops.

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Have seen what little footage there is there slowed down - while most of it looks singleplayer the bit where someone gets shot and then the next scene is them being dragged to safety looks like the BF2 map Road to Jalalabad.

EDIT: Actually the general flow of the footage follows the description of a singleplayer level talked about in the Game Informer article, that sees them harassed by a sniper throughout and then finally pinned down on a roof by him, at which point they rocket him.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Does indeed. I love BF2, modded it to death. BF3 looks everything it should be and a bit more. Still, i'm waiting for MP footage before I get over hyped :)

Just found 3 screenies:

Leg-End

That looks very very good. BF2 was insanely fun online and if this gets anywhere near it then :drool:

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
What sacrifices are they likely to make for consoles? cant be asked to upgrade my pc...

afrocentricity

I don't really care. PC is how Battlefield is meant to be enjoyed.
Very true, think all FPS should be played on PC, but it's just too expensive upgrading a PC all the time. Ever since I got my PS3/360 I just play on those and play RTS/etc. on my PC, and even some of those cant run as I took out my GFX card last year (was going to sell it), I'm running off onboard GFX now.

afrocentricity

Haven't properly upgraded my PC in a few years, used to be at least once a year. All that money I've saved has been put to better use... I'm sure?

Sw33t

Probably a bit of a weird question, but will this be more computer intensive than Crysis 2? I hope not, I can run Crysis 2 at a good quality but its not perfect but I thought Crysis was the most resource hogfull game. If I were to get this on PC I'd want it to run smoothly, if I'm making sense, no one will know for sure though

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
c2 has been optimised massively for the console market. It uses dx9.

bf3 is a dx11 only game and will stretch the hardware of modern pcs. It's meant to be the game that forces alot of people to upgrade, for example you won't be able to install it on a windows xp machine.

Pronewbie

Peep
c2 has been optimised massively for the console market. It uses dx9.

bf3 is a dx11 only game and will stretch the hardware of modern pcs. It's meant to be the game that forces alot of people to upgrade, for example you won't be able to install it on a windows xp machine.
I'm sure it'll at least run on a DX10-able graphics card.

afrocentricity

This game looks fcukin awesome, and I rarely use that word... in fact I could probably count the number of times on my fingers. Anyway... :drool:

Haven't been this hyped about a game in a long time...

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Keen for multiplayer footage.

Having seen what we've seen so far the one thing I want that hasn't been touched on yet is that medics can't use machine guns. As they're insisting on the 4 class system from BF2142/BC, let Assault choose between a rifle w/grenade launcher and squad support weapon, and let Medic have just a basic assault rifle.

Actually also I want faction weapons to return. I don't want to see an American pissbolting around with an AK47.

To be honest if they could just remake BF2.

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
If they're INSISTING on the four class sytem then I'd like to see

Assault - Assault Rifle with GL or Machine Gun. Ammo Box.
Medic - Assault Rifle. Shock Paddles. Med Bag/whatever the healing device for still alive people is.
Engineer - Shotgun or Personal Defence Weapon. Spanner/power tool. Rockets/Mines.
Recon - Sniper rifle w/ghillie suit or Silenced SMG. Explosives.