Television BBC3 To Be Axed

Drifter

American
BBC Three is to be axed and will become a wholly online channel, as part of the BBC's cost-cutting plans.

It means shows such as Don't Tell The Bride and Pramface will only be available through the iPlayer, rather than Freeview, satellite or cable.

The BBC will make an official announcement on Thursday, media correspondent David Sillito said.

Celebrities are already rallying behind the service. Matt Lucas said the move would be "really bad for new comedy".

The announcement follows a speech given by BBC director general Tony Hall last week, in which he said "tough choices" would have to be made if the corporation was to meet its savings target.

"We are in the final stages of a budget process to find an extra £100m of savings," he said at the Oxford Media Convention. "I will announce the outcome of those decisions in the next month."

Before moving BBC Three online, however, the director general must get approval from the BBC Trust, the corporation's governing body, which represents the interests of licence fee payers.

'Sizeable step'
The futures of both BBC Three and BBC Four have been much discussed as the corporation continues to implement cost-cutting measures.

According to industry newspaper Broadcast, moving BBC Three online "would amount to a sizeable step" towards delivering Lord Hall's £100m savings target by 2016.

The channel's service budget was £85m in 2013/14 - although moving the channel online would not eradicate those costs entirely.

The move follows the BBC's decision to broadcast select TV shows online ahead of their scheduled TV transmission, among them the latest sitcom from comedian Peter Kay.

Since its launch in 2003, BBC Three has been the birthplace of numerous ratings successes, including Little Britain, Torchwood, Being Human and Gavin and Stacey.

These were among the shows singled out by Little Britain star Lucas in a tweet proclaiming the channel to be "the home of new comedy and drama".

His sentiments were echoed by comedian Jack Whitehall: "I really hope reports that the BBC may kill BBC3 are just rumours. Their support of new comedy in particular is vital."

The channel's own Twitter feed also joined the protest, posting on Tuesday night: Who knew people love BBC Three more than pancakes?! Feeling loved. #SaveBBC3".

The BBC has previously reversed decisions to close its 6 Music and Asian Network radio services after concerted campaigning by supporters.

However, it has closed several foreign language sections of the BBC World Service, with the loss of more than 650 jobs since 2011

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26447089

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
If they want to save 100m then surely they can just let go a few of their more costly presenters? I mean, how much is Graham Norton being paid to do the same thing he's been doing since the mid-nineties? BBC3 used to be ok, but other than Family Guy i can't name anything they show.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
what shows come on BBC3 anyway? I never tell the difference, BBC is BBC for me.

Leg-End

Since its launch in 2003, BBC Three has been the birthplace of numerous ratings successes, including Little Britain, Torchwood, Being Human and Gavin and Stacey.
Shut it down.

Brophs

The One and Only
I just looked through the listings and there's nothing on that channel I'd watch. That said, supporting new and emerging artists isn't only about producing popular tv in the short term.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Only half decent thing on the channel is Family Guy and even that is painful to watch with it's unbelievably unfunny 5 minute long scenes with Conway Twitty or Mick Jagger and David Bowie. Rant over.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
It's a shitty move by the BBC imo, it's a good channel for students / teenagers. It's basically aimed at that group and does well in it with what they show. Family Guy, American Dad, Bad Education, Pramface, White Van Man are the programmes I remember off it but there will be a fair few more. It's only on a few hours from like 7pm-3am or something anyway.

Instead they're going to continue spending money on Dancing on Ice, Antiques shows (they have about 5 different shows with the same format I am sure). Paying Richard Hammond for being a complete annoying twat.

So they're leaving BBC Four by the sound of it? I honestly really don't know a show on there.

Also, how is moving it online removing so much of the cost? Do they not pay actors as much? The production costs go down? I don't think so. Just what they pay to air on TV...

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It's decent to have on in the background late at night when Family Guy and American Dad are on but not for much else. Most of the new comedy they put on there is terrible.

Tibs

IMO it's full of shit anyway, other than the Eastenders repeat...which they moved to 10.30pm for some silly reason

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
So they're leaving BBC Four by the sound of it? I honestly really don't know a show on there.
BBC 3 was aimed at 14-35 year old's whilst BBC4 is the high brow BBC channel. It shows a lot of documentaries and arts programmes. It was the first channel in the UK that started showing all this critically acclaimed bleak Scandinavian drama.

I think that BBC4 is one of the best channels on television. It has some great music programmes and has shows stuff like documentaries on Brutalist architecture.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
BBC 3 was aimed at 14-35 year old's whilst BBC4 is the high brow BBC channel. It shows a lot of documentaries and arts programmes. It was the first channel in the UK that started showing all this critically acclaimed bleak Scandinavian drama.

I think that BBC4 is one of the best channels on television. It has some great music programmes and has shows stuff like documentaries on Brutalist architecture.
So BBC4 is aimed at roughly the same bunch of people as BBC1 and BBC2 pretty much.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
IMO it's full of shit anyway, other than the Eastenders repeat...which they moved to 10.30pm for some silly reason
Yeah a repeat of Eastenders is definitely not shit.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Also, how is moving it online removing so much of the cost? Do they not pay actors as much? The production costs go down? I don't think so. Just what they pay to air on TV...
They'll cut out the acquisition and repeat costs. So rather than trying to fill a schedule by buying in US shows and the like, they'll only pay for the original commissions that would have gone on the channel.

Waldner

Balloon headed Pokemon innovator & kitten murderer
Will miss watching Family Guy and American Dad late at night but let's be honest, the rest of it is utter shite. Snog Marry Avoid ffs??

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
It's decent to have on in the background late at night when Family Guy and American Dad are on but not for much else. Most of the new comedy they put on there is terrible.
People like Jack Whitehall and Russell Kane calling for the channel to be kept gives a good indication of the sort of 'comedy' BBC 3 has to offer.

The only show I've watched on it that was a BBC 3 programme (so not Family Guy or other imports) was The Real Hustle which started about 8 years ago and that should have been kept to fewer series once consumer advice style shows became common.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
What the funk, they just added BBC 3 HD!

BBC3 > ITV 2, 3 or 4

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Uncle was a top show on BBC3 imo
Spot on. I created a thread on it but must have been missed by most on here. Good to know it wasn't just me who enjoyed it.

I watch BBC3 when there's f*ck all on other channels - which is surprisingly regularly. Hope they keep it.

Scrumpet

There are no words
Are they still going to make BBC3 type shows, but only have it on iplayer then? Sounds like a decent compromise if so given the demographics.

I_live_cement

Cat freak
Judging by the comments here, the only reason people watched it is for the US comedies, so it's a sensible decision imo.

The BBC's main focus should be on promoting homegrown programmes, otherwise what is the point of it?

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned

BBC 4 is pretty much always repeats and there isn't anything on BBC 4 that couldn't go on BBC 2.

There is so little new content on the BBC to begin with these days in the first place. When a show as terrible as Mrs Brown's Boys gets commissioned and then regularly repeated on Friday night peak time, I really question where the licence money goes at the BBC.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
There is so little new content on the BBC to begin with these days in the first place. When a show as terrible as Mrs Brown's Boys gets commissioned and then regularly repeated on Friday night peak time, I really question where the licence money goes at the BBC.
Unfortunately Mrs Brown's Boys is easily the highest rating comedy at the moment, so it's a no-brainer commission.

I_live_cement

Cat freak
I'm as baffled as you, but people seem to watch it. That's the service they should provide imo.

rcoobc

Judging by the comments here, the only reason people watched it is for the US comedies, so it's a sensible decision imo.

The BBC's main focus should be on promoting homegrown programmes, otherwise what is the point of it?
I dunno, BBC doesnt promote homegrown programmes, I.e. it doesnt show reruns from ITV or Channel 4 series. 90% or programs on BBC are probably homegrown though, but its very comforting watching Family Guy and American Dad at midnight.

rcoobc

I might stop paying TV licence if they cut it. That'll teach then

rcoobc

I'm going to go as far as to say that BBC3 is the most important channel on television.

If you turned off BBC1 or 2, what would happen? Pretty much nothing. Sky and ITV would pick up the slack with quality programming. If you killed off BBC4, people would switch to ITV234, or just go read a book.

But without BBC3, the only other option teens have is shite like MTV, with its ridiculous celebrities and millions of adverts. Sure there might be the odd Futurama or South Park on a channel somewhere, but for the most part they would be forced to turn off the TV altogether, and just switch to the internet.

And when they get older, are they going to bother getting a TV licence?

If the BBC want to save money, they should stop building new centres every decade

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I never really watch anything on BBC channels and I really detest the tv license system, I think it's utter bollocks.

However, I have worked at the place lots when they were mainly in London (and a lot of their archive places dotted around) and I can say that there's a lot of useless shit they could cut before this channel. Not that there's much, if anything, I like on it (most of the 'comedy' is fecking dreadful), but at least it was trying and funding new stuff.