Be very afraid: The normally unflappable Ole's 'pleased' delusion

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
He obviously wasn't pleased with the performance. Confidence is shot and he didn't think laying into them publically was the best option is more likely.

I wasn't best pleased with those comments though. He is only adding to the noise about his own ability to manage

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Tbf what else can he say?
Surely something along the lines of 'youngsters did well but we need to be playing better as a team' is realistic without damaging the confidence of those that need it most?

I'm not sure who he's trying to kid with his comments, other than trying to make it look like he isn't feeling the pressure.

red thru&thru

I agree, but the problem is no one can pin point what the problems are.

Yes we can all say Ed / Glazers but they do not have any say in the day to day?

I'd like to see them gone as much as any other fan, but we all know that is not going to happen anytime soon.

In all fairness Ed has spent money on all the managers.
Ed doesn't run the day to day? Of course he does! And yes, we can pin point the issues.

romufc

Ole the rest of this season unless we are in a serious relegation fight and I can’t seriously see that happening then when we have finished just
You'd be surprised.

We have had 4 home games in the prem and collected 7 points at an average of 1.75. Average that for 19 home games = 33 points

Away from home we don't look like we will win a game so if you say we average 1 point a game we will finish with 52 points this season.

RedNed77

Does anybody know how you ignore threads or if that function actually works? I've tried to ignore this and the other threads which are all pretty much the same shit-flinging over and over, but it still shows up on the threadlist?

romufc

Ed doesn't run the day to day? Of course he does! And yes, we can pin point the issues.
I meant in footballing terms. Okay pin point the issue, what is our biggest issue, and don't say Ed Woodward just as a name.. what about him ? or what aspect?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Surely something along the lines of 'youngsters did well but we need to be playing better as a team' is realistic without damaging the confidence of those that need it most?

I'm not sure who he's trying to kid with his comments, other than trying to make it look like he isn't feeling the pressure.
Youngster didnt play well

red thru&thru

Can you explain the difference between supporters and fans to me?
Yes mate. A fan is someone who is happy enough to enjoy the good when its going good. When not going so good, they'll just sit back and watch things going on as they are.

A support will be there in the good and bad. Good they will be there supporting the club when going good.

Main difference when it's going bad, like now. Supporters will take action on changing the club. Support the actual club in chang . When bad decisions are being made, they are called out and supporters will take action. Fans in this scenario will just say, "Oh well, there's not much I can do. I hope it will get better soon."

Amerifan

I am not sure who he was trying to please by those post match comments. The fans would have watched the game and come to their own conclusions. The players would know deep down how the game went.

Singling out a player and critisizing him maybe going too far. But he can call out that the collective team performance was shite and not according to the standards expected.
99% of the global fan base didn’t see the game. They have the result, the manager’s comments, and whatever spin their news source puts on the game. Better to be quoted saying something positive than negative about the team.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
That is the worrying thing, when a manager is pleased with a performance like that. Imagine him going to the dressing room.. Well played lads, Rashy great freekick unlucky not to score.

How can a manager watching that think it is a good performance? Seriously.

There were absolutely NO positives from that game.
You really think he was pleased with the performance? It's not unkommon managers say that even when it's not the case.

red thru&thru

Moyes wont rock the boat..lvg too.. probably jose will rock the boat. If the boards aim is to just not rock the boat they wont sack van gaal and hire jose Mourinho let alone give him 400m to spend
Lvg was rocking the boat. He wasn't exactly quiet was he?

red thru&thru

I meant in footballing terms. Okay pin point the issue, what is our biggest issue, and don't say Ed Woodward just as a name.. what about him ? or what aspect?
Yes, the problem is we have no plan! As a football team, over his tenure, what has been his footballing plan?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
They played like youngsters at the end of the day, and publicly calling them out wouldn't help them.
If the kids can't create a shot on target against these lot then they are either not properly managed or else they aren't good enough

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Solskjær “it’s not the 90s” comment was very strange. A dig at fans chanting the name of legends, but strange coming from a guy who came and prospered for 2 months by going on about 99

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He obviously wasn't pleased with the performance. Confidence is shot and he didn't think laying into them publically was the best option is more likely.

I wasn't best pleased with those comments though. He is only adding to the noise about his own ability to manage
I think ole was doomed the moment he accepted to start the season with no midfield and forward line. At that point he had to decide to either stay and take the slack until he's sacked or clearly say he doesn't have the men to achieve his goals and resign. There is no shame to resign from a job if you lack the tools to complete your job adequately.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Solskjær “it’s not the 90s” comment was very strange. A dig at fans chanting the name of legends, but strange coming from a guy who came and prospered for 2 months by going on about 99
That was a strange one. He was peddling that bullshit for months when he came in. I think it all adds to the fact that the guy seems completely lost at the moment.

Denis79

Mourinho tried to set that. He slapped martial for not tracking back. Pogba for showboating when it isnt necessary.

What do we do? We side with the players. Jose is the only manager that demands a certain standard, the others are just too happy to get the job in the first place.

You think ole has the guts to give a hairdryer to pogba? At this stage?
Sadly I don't, I think he wants to befriend them as equals. I think this way works in Scandinavia, where people have a completely different mentality. Some of our divas will abuse this, of that I'm sure.

The Urban Goose

That is the worrying thing, when a manager is pleased with a performance like that. Imagine him going to the dressing room.. Well played lads, Rashy great freekick unlucky not to score.

How can a manager watching that think it is a good performance? Seriously.

There were absolutely NO positives from that game.
How times have changed. I was listening to the 1999 documentary on t'radio last night and Steve McClaren had an anecdote about standards.

He first said he found his first five months here very hard - if there was a cone out of place the players would be on at him, such were the standards.

Anyway, of relevance to the thread, after the 1-0 Inter game he went into the dressing room and was giving it all the "great game, lads, great win" etc. and Keano pulled him up - (something like) "knock it off Steve, we were crap, and when we're crap it's your job to tell us we were crap".

Only the shirt colour and stadium is recognisable from that team.

Son

Agree completely with the OP.

Ole is becoming an absolute car crash of a manger for us and so are the coaches. Zero excuses now when we have been outplayed by inferior opposition.

We need to start been a big club again which means major re-investment in a new manager and the best coaches we can realistically poach/get.

The Sancho £150 million money could take us back to the top if we spent it on the backroom and coaching staff instead of one player imo.

romufc

You really think he was pleased with the performance? It's not unkommon managers say that even when it's not the case.
With Ole, I can't be sure, so you are saying we shouldn't take anything he says as face value? what is the point of having pre and pose match interviews then?

Mihai

I reckon what he says to the press is different to what's said behind closed doors. Listen to what the likes of Neville and Keane have been saying about him, they know the guy, and have said in the past he isn't the sort of guy to take sh1t, he will say what needs saying. Just a couple of weeks ago Keane was saying after a game how he could see he was absoloutly seething with the performance. He's pretty much learnt his trade from SAF and will keep EVERYTHING in house. At end of the day Thursdays result (considering the team put out) was a good result and a good learning for the young lads. This team including the 1st xi are playing about the levels of thier abilities, can't blame Ole for this. He's said its gonna take time to fix this. So far with his transfers he's doing alright. Back him. Believe in him.
I don't think you will find a lot of Man United fans who wouldn't like Ole to become successful and be here long term. We all want to back him and believe in him. However, there should be signs of improvement on the pitch. And at the moment, apart from the good transfers in, there're none.

romufc

Yes, the problem is we have no plan! As a football team, over his tenure, what has been his footballing plan?
So the problem is we have no plan? So the first plan was give Moyes a go because he came highly recommended by Fergie and he was new in the position.

The next plan was get managers with pedigree, LVG and Jose but that didn'r work.

His next plan was to rebuild it with Ole.

So you think Ed Woodwards lack of plan is the biggest worry at this football club?

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
With Ole, I can't be sure, so you are saying we shouldn't take anything he says as face value? what is the point of having pre and pose match interviews then?
There is no point and these guys lie all the time. I don't think he's happy and I think he's in way over his head, and don't know how to solve the situation.

romufc

There is no point and these guys lie all the time. I don't think he's happy and I think he's in way over his head, and don't know how to solve the situation.
Tbh I dont think anyone at the club knows how to solve this. Us struggling and not scoring goals is a worry but if you dig deeper there is no light at the end of the tunnel.

The BIGGEST worry is that no one knows what to do, how to solve this?

We have bought players, sold players, got managers sacked them. We have tried different styles but at the end of every tenure we end up with under performing players and boring football.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Tbh I dont think anyone at the club knows how to solve this. Us struggling and not scoring goals is a worry but if you dig deeper there is no light at the end of the tunnel.

The BIGGEST worry is that no one knows what to do, how to solve this?

We have bought players, sold players, got managers sacked them. We have tried different styles but at the end of every tenure we end up with under performing players and boring football.
You obviously solve it by hiring the right manager, and clubs tend to go through a few before they they find that man.

NoLogo

Apart from Mou almost no manager ever does that for good reason. I really don't get what some people expect from those press conferences? Do they expect the manager to say "Yeah we are shite, we can't string two passes together, Pogba always loses the ball with his stupid dribblings, Lingard and Pereira are pub team players and Rashford can't hit a barn door with a banjo, we'll never score with this lot walking about the pitch, like they are on a sunday walk. Why, oh why did I even take this job? I hate my life right now."

Sure that would be honest and would get him a laugh or two from the press and fans but his would hardly improve moral among the players.

Some people seem to think that a manager not laying into his team during a presser and trying to find positives in a performance is being too soft on his players or something. I'm pretty sure he will find more drastic words for performances like this behind closed doors.

romufc

You obviously solve it by hiring the right manager, and clubs tend to go through a few before they they find that man.
Yes, we have tried 3/4 they haven't worked. We have now gone a different direction and it doesn't take a footballing person to say Ole is unlikely to turn this around.

We clearly need a man who is up for the challenge though. Like it or not Manutd managerial job is still a very big job don't be fooled about that. There will be takers.

poleglass red

You'd have to imagine what ole is saying in front of the cameras differs greatly to what he's saying to players in dressing room. We criticized jose for publicly throwing players under the bus. We can't have it both ways. I think ole is smart enough to know that performance was poor.

Amerifan

Yes mate. A fan is someone who is happy enough to enjoy the good when its going good. When not going so good, they'll just sit back and watch things going on as they are.

A support will be there in the good and bad. Good they will be there supporting the club when going good.

Main difference when it's going bad, like now. Supporters will take action on changing the club. Support the actual club in chang . When bad decisions are being made, they are called out and supporters will take action. Fans in this scenario will just say, "Oh well, there's not much I can do. I hope it will get better soon."
Supporter. You use that word a lot. I do not think it means what you think it means.

hn4manunited

We’ll have to get used to this. This is Ole’s way to managing. He’s not going to single out anyone or even the whole team. To be honest with you, I don’t know if he’s hard enough on the players behind the scene. He appears to have taken a softer approach with the players when he first took over as interim where he has praised just about everyone and propped everyone up.

United Hobbit

It almost sounds a bit like Moyes and that infamous over 80 crosses against Fulham game didnt he celebrate how many crosses we put in despite only getting a point against Fulham

His body language is also starting to look defeated, I know it may just his management style but the way he sits slumped in his chair is starting to get to me a little, it really got to me when Moyes did it. I know Ole probably feels as despairing as us watching the dross we have been serving up, however it is his job to try and sort it out- how would you feel as a player if you looked over and saw that? Look at Pep and Klopp. He could at least get on the touchline a bit more and try and get after them/ motivate/ try and guide a bit, try and inspire them from the sidelines. I may just be being harsh as only seeing what the tv chooses to show us but he isn't helping himself and it just adds to the same notion as with Moyes that hes unfortunately out of his depth and he's sat there as he doesn't know what he can do to try and sort it

Smores

I think some have become a bit simple minded. They've concluded in their head that any negativity is bad so positivity no matter how ridiculous is good.

What you people have forgot is that Fergie often called it like it was after a bad game. What he didn't do and what went to far is single out individual players, now we've gone the opposite way too far with the manager apparently having to be like a kids tv host pretending everything is awesome.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Yep. Ole needs to come down on them hard, with a hammer, in the dressing room, spill some blood, let fury reign, have the skies blacken with thunderclouds overhead, morph into a creature of the night, shoot down lighting bolts, ascend to a higher dimension, look into the eyes of Ed Woodward and turn him into a pillar of salt, take Rashford off freekicks.

Less of this smiley, I just won a contest to manage United for a month stuff.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Yes, we have tried 3/4 they haven't worked. We have now gone a different direction and it doesn't take a footballing person to say Ole is unlikely to turn this around.

We clearly need a man who is up for the challenge though. Like it or not Manutd managerial job is still a very big job don't be fooled about that. There will be takers.
Absolutely. Look at Liverpool before Klopp. They were mostly a mess and their owners and structure was heavily criticized.

I think Solskjær was never good enough and is a dead man walking. As a fellow Norwegian I'm sad to see him in this situation.

romufc

Absolutely. Look at Liverpool before Klopp. They were mostly a mess and their owners and structure was heavily criticized.
Yeah but they did have the odd title challenge though.. we have the odd challenge for top 4.

But Klopp was a big decision. This is why I think If Poch becomes available, Ole has to be sacked.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Yeah but they did have the odd title challenge though.. we have the odd challenge for top 4.

But Klopp was a big decision. This is why I think If Poch becomes available, Ole has to be sacked.
We had a "challenge" two swasons ago :lol: You want Poch? I'd be tempted to go for him if I had a say.