Be very afraid: The normally unflappable Ole's 'pleased' delusion

Ranchero

It is something we normally associate with desperate managers fighting relegation, trying to find positives when there are few, if any.

Ole's "i'm pleased' analysis of the first Europa League game where we have not had a single shot on target, is worrying. Because, for me, it is a sure sign that he is aware the exit door is coming, and is struggling to keep morale up here.

Having got rid of Mourinho, because of clashes with players, primarily Pogba, the Frenchman has shown little sign of getting rid of this big chip on his shoulder, and has continued to court a move away while his performances continue to suffer (when fit) And that has to have an effect in the dressing room.

As much as Ole says that it was time for Lukaku to leave saying the Belgian striker "doesn't want to be here" the same can be said for Pogba, but he remains. If you can't have unhappy players at the club, why pick Lukaku, and not Pogba? Right now we are toothless up front and devoid of creativity in midfield, and the worry is that this mess will affect the young players like Greenwood that we are now having to rely on.

I raised my concerns before the season started and been told by some that my past posts would be resurrected when everything went swimmingly this season. They haven't been. The issues we have at Old Trafford are clear, in my view.

Investment is one thing, investing in the right areas and in the right way is something else. While our signings this summer have been good, there has been a non-replacement policy that is crippling us this season.

The fact that Andreas Pereira has to be relied on as a first team regular when his performances have been decidedly average in midfield, and shows no sign of improving (unlike McTominay) says it all.

But it is Ole I am concerned about at the moment. After the AZ Alkmaar game, the normally ebullient Norwegian looked desperate. And sounded it.

"Today I’m pleased with the boys. Very pleased, big, big pluses today," said Solskjaer who appears to have been watching a different game from the rest of us.

"It’s a good point away from home against a difficult opponent, very difficult surface," added Solskjaer, who is clearly clutching at straws.. "Remember they beat [the mighty] Feyenoord 3-0 away from home just now. "We made any changes, and I’m very pleased.

"There are many games we should have, could have won away from home. I don’t think that’s an issue. Today is a good away point. If you get a point away and win your home games you go through."

Asked if he was concerned that United had failed to register a shot on target, Solskjaer replied: "Yeah, of course, you create chances and you don’t score goals. There’s no point me saying he should have hit the target there, they know themselves."

And the clutching of straws, which is something Ole is not renowned for continued when he uncharacteristically (he accepted this himself) had a good natured pop at the referee.

Solskjaer said: “We should have had one [a penalty] on Monday against Arsenal for handball.

“Here the linesman can look straight at the tackle, when he swipes Marcus Rashford’s foot.

“Unfortunately for us we didn’t get it so there is no point me complaining but there will come a point decisions turn our way.

“I’m fed up talking about pens we should have had. It could have topped off a very good performance.”

But we can't point the finger of blame at Ole. He is just the latest manager to encounter the rot at Old Trafford. We lack direction and it comes from the top. And that top is Ed Woodward and the Glazers, our American owners who show little interest in the fortunes of our team on the pitch. The expected director of football announcement, trotted out as ever after a disappointing non-replacement transfer window to placate the fans, has not materialised. Again.

Now there are those who think Man Utd fans moan because they feel they have been indulged too much by the past, and feel entitled.

The facts are we are now behind only Real Madrid and Barcelona in the list of the richest clubs in the world, in terms of revenue, having been top. An April analysis by Zeelo has United as the biggest and most supported team in the world, taking into account social media followers, shirt sales and fan base, in front of Real Madrid and Barcelona.

Would Real Madrid and Barcelona's hierarchy accept where United are for them? No chance of Top 4 (as it stands) let alone challenging for the title with the season barely started, playing a style of football that lacks football nous and creativity while producing poor results. Of course not.

United sells itself as the biggest and best club in the world. This is what the public are told. It is well past time we showed it on and off the pitch. And the only way forward is a complete revolution upstairs.

Last edited:

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
About time we had an Ole thread. Shocked that it has taken this long.

Zoo

Which newspaper is this article from?

romufc

That is the worrying thing, when a manager is pleased with a performance like that. Imagine him going to the dressing room.. Well played lads, Rashy great freekick unlucky not to score.

How can a manager watching that think it is a good performance? Seriously.

There were absolutely NO positives from that game.

red thru&thru

Hard to disagree with the OP.

Only thing I worry about is the title of the thread. Ole isn't delusional. He is just doing what is expected of him. This is the precise reason he was hired in the first place by Ed. They knew if results were to go bad, Ole wouldn't rock the boat, like Jose or LVG did.

It is time for the supporters to do something, as neither the board or fans will.

MDFC Manager

Doesn't make much difference, but surely Greenwood's shot was on target? The one blocked by the defender.

Ranchero

Hard to disagree with the OP.

Only thing I worry about is the title of the thread. Ole isn't delusional. He is just doing what is expected of him. This is the precise reason he was hired in the first place by Ed. They knew if results were to go bad, Ole wouldn't rock the boat, like Jose or LVG did.

It is time for the supporters to do something, as neither the board or fans will.
If you watch that performance and then say you are pleased, that is delusion. The worry is that is the first time I have heard that from him.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
About time we had an Ole thread. Shocked that it has taken this long.
It's almost as if there's a correlation between these Ole threads and a nosedive in the club's performances and fortunes.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
People asked the opposite of Jose in terms of demanding, saying his extremely demanding personality takes too much toll on the players (which in fact has some true on it, as Robben had stated in his biography by saying Mourinho is extremely demanding to the point it becomes harder and harder to keep up with it).

So OGS is being more diplomatic and people say he should bring the house down? Where do we stand?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Doesn't make much difference, but surely Greenwood's shot was on target? The one blocked by the defender.
It has to be blocked/saved by the last defender (usually the goalie) to be counted as a shot on target.

red thru&thru

If you watch that performance and then say you are pleased, that is delusion. The worry is that is the first time I have heard that from him.
Like I say, we all know that wasn't acceptable. He would too. But what would you expect him to say?

jackal&hyde

It was a team with some very inexperienced players and this is why he said what he said. When the first team is involved, he doesn't talk like that, see the West Ham post game interviews and even Leicester.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I think that the defender would have to be defined as the last man, in like a goal line clearance scenario, for it to be deemed as a shot on target.

romufc

Like I say, we all know that wasn't acceptable. He would too. But what would you expect him to say?
Be a bit realistic, this is lying to the fans.

There comes to a point his credibility is taking a massive hit now.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Gentle reminder : Rashford is 21 y.o, Lingard is still a teenager and Greenwood is still only somebody's grandson just as Mourinho was only somebody's son. Media hate me, Ok, find happiness in other's happiness, in Portugese We call it every.. every wall is a door.

LoneStar

I am not sure who he was trying to please by those post match comments. The fans would have watched the game and come to their own conclusions. The players would know deep down how the game went.

Singling out a player and critisizing him maybe going too far. But he can call out that the collective team performance was shite and not according to the standards expected.

And let's be honest, the scoreline flattered us. They were the better team with the better chances. Every one of our players bar DDG was average to utterly shite.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
I don’t understand you lot on here. First it’s complaining about how Mourinho would throw his players under the bus and now even though last nights game was ridiculously poor he came out and said he was pleased. Ole is not pleased with last nights performance but he won’t throw our players under the bus. He’s doing what Sir Alex was doing. Keeping everything in house. What would you prefer? Ole coming out and telling the world were shite of him coming out and saying he’s pleased? We can all see we need improvement but ole played a young team last night and will not abuse them so they go into their shell. Ole is doing right by his team and by Manchester United. We need to give him time. I don’t want him sacked. I’m happy to finish in the bottom half this season. We are building something and although you can’t see it right now you will see it soon. Have some bloody patience.

Woodzy

I feel like Ole says the exact same things after every game. He’s stuck in a loop of positivity.

What happened to the guy who saying some players’ time was up here in interviews last season?

I know that at this early stage in the season, to start criticising players that we are stuck with till at least January would be suicide, but to come out and praise some of the worst performances we’ve seen just to keep morale up is only going to piss off the fans.

Ranchero

It was a team with some very inexperienced players and this is why he said what he said. When the first team is involved, he doesn't talk like that, see the West Ham post game interviews and even Leicester.
I get that, but you cannot say you are pleased when you have not troubled the keeper in 90m of football against a Dutch side we should be comfortably beating. It is the first time we have ever failed to register a shot on target during a Europa League match.

romufc

Ole is doing right by his team and by Manchester United. We need to give him time. I don’t want him sacked. I’m happy to finish in the bottom half this season. We are building something and although you can’t see it right now you will see it soon. Have some bloody patience.
What are we building? What improvements in the playing style have you seen since Moyes? We are getting worse whilst EVERY other team gets better. Happy to finish bottom half? why? Managerial jobs are based on performance and results, at the moment he is failing on both counts.

Also, no one is asking him to throw players under the bus but even Fergie wouldn't tolerate these results.

He could come out and say that was a difficult game, we struggled to get in the game and create chances. Who says he needs to name names?

Ranchero

I don’t understand you lot on here. First it’s complaining about how Mourinho would throw his players under the bus and now even though last nights game was ridiculously poor he came out and said he was pleased. Ole is not pleased with last nights performance but he won’t throw our players under the bus. He’s doing what Sir Alex was doing. Keeping everything in house. What would you prefer? Ole coming out and telling the world were shite of him coming out and saying he’s pleased? We can all see we need improvement but ole played a young team last night and will not abuse them so they go into their shell. Ole is doing right by his team and by Manchester United. We need to give him time. I don’t want him sacked. I’m happy to finish in the bottom half this season. We are building something and although you can’t see it right now you will see it soon. Have some bloody patience.
If he is not pleased with the performance, why did he say he was pleased? You don't say you are pleased, when you are not. He could have said he was disappointed with the result, and, yes, we could play better, something like that. But to say you are pleased and then dress up how good AZ are, then blame the pitch, and the ref. It is unlike him.

Ranchero

What are we building? What improvements in the playing style have you seen since Moyes? We are getting worse whilst EVERY other team gets better. Happy to finish bottom half? why? Managerial jobs are based on performance and results, at the moment he is failing on both counts.

Also, no one is asking him to throw players under the bus but even Fergie wouldn't tolerate these results.

He could come out and say that was a difficult game, we struggled to get in the game and create chances. Who says he needs to name names?
Indeed.

red4ever 79

This was from his post match press conference. I watched the first 10 mins and turned it off. I have better things to do with my time than watch that shit. Not since Moyes have I turned a game off.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
More than half the team missing or rested, a synthetic surface and a horrible missed penalty call not withstanding, came away with a point. I think he'll be happy with it all things considered.

The wider issue of there not being adequate quality to fill the gaps in key positions is an entirely different issue altogether.

Wolff

That is the worrying thing, when a manager is pleased with a performance like that. Imagine him going to the dressing room.. Well played lads, Rashy great freekick unlucky not to score.

How can a manager watching that think it is a good performance? Seriously.

There were absolutely NO positives from that game.
Yes there where positives. And there where a lot predictable shit. The good thing about it is no one is pointing fingers at the youngsters. Not unfamiliar tactic as José seemed to use it often.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I think most fans now wouldn't be surprised if Ole got sacked at some point this season. I don't think people want to rock the boat out of respect for Ole, but if he does go then the players and Woodward will get it big time. Just my feeling as a match going supporter.

It feels like footballing Armageddon is close and there will be a huge fallout if/when the above happens.

jackal&hyde

I get that, but you cannot say you are pleased when you have not troubled the keeper in 90m of football against a Dutch side we should be comfortably beating. It is the first time we have ever failed to register a shot on target during a Europa League match.
I think SAF would have said the same if he played a team where some of the players barely have 5 professional games between them. He knew it was going to be a difficult game given the players he was going to play hence all the talk about the state of the pitch; text book SAF actually. It was said as encouragement for the youth rather then a fair assessment of the game imo. AZ are also not a pub team, they are decent on a good run with players that even though young, have been playing together in more or less the same system since they were 9 or 10 probably.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
All of our managers after Fergie have had their own delusion while the club is in need of a strong, realistic manager to guide it forward.
  1. Moyes : Believing himself to me more than He was. Too fecking negative in his mentality, basically all were the player's fault
  2. Van Gaal : Believing He could change ManUnited to a club in the mold of Barca and Bayern. Too stubborn to accept that His philosophy didn't fit the club. I believe He's a good enough manager to win things here Had only He adapted. He's the case of a smart enough person but didn't want to change
  3. Mourinho : Believing the club was in such a shite position before He joined that his achievements that were merely a little bit better than the previous manager's were gifts from the heaven. Too narcissistic and broken after his failure at Chelsea and We pretty much got the disillusioned, insecure Mourino version who did his best to convince others He's still the best manager.
None of them looked like a realistic person. Buying into their past glories, creating their own hypes, good poets but shite at steering the club. Now We got Ole. He's not as extreme cases as the previous ones but He's been too positive in my opinion.

I'd like for him to succeed but it seems like We're going through the same motion again, this time it's the different type of delusion. His positivity could be his own undoing, I'm not buying into his comments where He said He's very pleased. You just can't. After all, I don't believe people who always smile and look at things from rainbow and sunshine glasses could lead a huge organization into success.

But maybe We're just reading too much into this interview. It could be that while He talks like this in public but actually very disappointed in the dressing room. Need a convincing win badly now.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Tbf what else can he say?

If he critized the player he's throwing them under the bus.

If he critized the glazer he'll be booted, given a chance of a lifetime along with 150m budget as ex molde manager and failed to win 1 shot on target.

If he says it's on me, how would that instill confidence from the fans?

If he says i resign you'd say he's a coward.

What do you expect him.to say? If this is a one off it's easy to say whatever you want. But let's pretend he made a grand speech, it only works if it's a shock result, not when it's weekly recurring theme

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I feel like Ole says the exact same things after every game. He’s stuck in a loop of positivity.

What happened to the guy who saying some players’ time was up here in interviews last season?

I know that at this early stage in the season, to start criticising players that we are stuck with till at least January would be suicide, but to come out and praise some of the worst performances we’ve seen just to keep morale up is only going to piss off the fans.
The players got him by the balls, just like they got moyes lvg and jose by the balls.

It's happening too much for it to ignore. They choose to spite their manager it's obvious to see.

Player power is indeed dangerous. Can ole afford to piss them off especially now? This is the same sets of player that goes 15 run unbeaten to show the world they dont like Jose

red thru&thru

Agree but fans also now need to be realistic. All these problems have begun under Ole, these problems began back in 2013.

So to keep expecting something different, from our 4th manager, is being naive from the fans.

red thru&thru

The players got him by the balls, just like they got moyes lvg and jose by the balls.

It's happening too much for it to ignore. They choose to spite their manager it's obvious to see.

Player power is indeed dangerous. Can ole afford to piss them off especially now? This is the same sets of player that goes 15 run unbeaten to show the world they dont like Jose
Ed allowed player power. No way pay power happens at City or Lfc.

Varun

Staff

I don't see anyone bar Pogba having anything close to 'player power' at the club.

We're just terribly coached to go with the lack of quality befitting the size of the club. I'm not a great fan of the 'we were great approach' he takes every game either. Sure, don't be a cnut like mourinho was but set the fecking expectations for crying out loud.

fergiesarmy1

You have to assume he is saying different things in private but right now with a very young team down to bare bones in most positions coming out and criticising them in public wouldn’t be a good idea in my opinion and apparently Ole’s.

Ranchero

Exactly. Ole can say what he needs to say, without ranting and raving... but that analysis of the game was bizarre. But then he defended our performance in the transfer window too. He spoke in pre-season about the need to replace players that leave. He said in Perth: "If we sell players we will have to replace them." We have not done that... so having not done that, don't defend our performance in the transfer window.

He said that Lukaku had to leave but we did not want to bring anyone else in so that we can prioritise the development of Mason Greenwood.

"Towards the end of last season we didn't score a lot of goals," Solskjaer said in August. "And you do have players you think will make an impact. And Mason Greenwood's pathway would have been a lot more difficult, of course, if we had another forward there. So, for me, I believe Mason is going to be playing and involved a lot and when he is he'll score goals."

But last week, with Sanchez also off to Inter on loan, he admitted the had been looking for a replacement striker but could not find the right one.

“Of course, we let Alexis and Romelu go and you don't have to be a rocket scientist to see that it's a forward we need the next time we're going to recruit," he said.

Melville Red

Ole is far to nice to be a decent manager. He’s always come across as a chap who would make a great next door neighbour, wouldn’t say boo to a mouse, would offer to cut your grass then apologise for the noise from his petrol mower.
A manager he isn’t, it’s a shame but I want him to succeed both for him and the club but alas I just can’t see it.
Big talk in the media about Allegri taking English lessons and saying he would love the job?
Really even with Woodhead in control? If that’s true then I would gladly give Ole the rest of this season unless we are in a serious relegation fight and I can’t seriously see that happening then when we have finished just north of mid table it will be time for Allegri and his coaching staff and hopefully then the Glaziers will do something about Woodheads position.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Tbf what else can he say?

If he critized the player he's throwing them under the bus.

If he critized the glazer he'll be booted, given a chance of a lifetime along with 150m budget as ex molde manager and failed to win 1 shot on target.

If he says it's on me, how would that instill confidence from the fans?

If he says i resign you'd say he's a coward.

What do you expect him.to say? If this is a one off it's easy to say whatever you want. But let's pretend he made a grand speech, it only works if it's a shock result, not when it's weekly recurring theme
"We can and should play better. Our performances have not been up to standards. We need to win more games. We did it last season, now We have to replicate that form"

Looks good to me.