Bebe

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Wish him well at his new club. He was likely to never make the grade here, and really we did fairly well to get what we did for him. In the end it was a gamble that didn't pay of from United's point of view

Bwuk

He'll do well for Benfica. Wouldn't be surprised if he's better for them than Markovic was.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
No. What makes you come to that conclusion?

Quite a few Portuguese fans have agreed with me that he should have been taken to the WC. And yes, I have watched him last season unlike most people in this thread that are still judging him off one game against Wolves FOUR YEARS AGO...
You expect him to become world class and be sold for £35m very shortly. Something's not right with ya....

revel911

Always had talent, just couldn't handle the stage in his first match at OT and that game became his legacy.
SAF was entirely at fault for playing him too early. Should have trained with first team, then reservers, then loan ... then given a shot. At that point he would have been ready.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Hasn't he been off the wage bill and not taking up a squad spot for the past 3 years ?
Doubt Rio Ave or Paços could afford his wages. I think United must have been contributing with some percentage when he was at those clubs. Besiktas probably could afford his wages.

roseguy64

SAF was entirely at fault for playing him too early. Should have trained with first team, then reservers, then loan ... then given a shot. At that point he would have been ready.
Agree here. We rushed him into the first team. Couldn't handle it.

Manucho the boss

Hasn't he been off the wage bill and not taking up a squad spot for the past 3 years ?
He was on the wage bill though, he's been back training with us. I'm not sure if you're suggesting we loan him out again, I presume we'd end up letting him go for nothing then.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He was on the wage bill though, he's been back training with us. I'm not sure if you're suggesting we loan him out again, I presume we'd end up letting him go for nothing then.
No, I'm suggesting he's scarcely been on our wage bill over the past 3 years. Even if we were picking up a portion of his loan fees when he was loaned out to the two Portueguese clubs, it wouldn't have been that much as he probably wasn't on high wages to begin with. Thus the idea that we're saving loads of money by selling him is a bit misplaced, compared with let's say, what the likes of Ashley Young and Luke Shaw make in one week alone. If someone wanted to talk about wage savings, then surely it should be applied to our having lost Ferdinand, Vidic, and Evra, which collectively came out to about £350k per week.

foolsgold

No, I'm suggesting he's scarcely been on our wage bill over the past 3 years. Even if we were picking up a portion of his loan fees when he was loaned out to the two Portueguese clubs, it wouldn't have been that much as he probably wasn't on high wages to begin with. Thus the idea that we're saving loads of money by selling him is a bit misplaced, compared with let's say, what the likes of Ashley Young and Luke Shaw make in one week alone. If someone wanted to talk about wage savings, then surely it should be applied to our having lost Ferdinand, Vidic, and Evra, which collectively came out to about £350k per week.
I accept your point but every little helps

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
He's been good since coming on for Benfica against Arsenal, got a really nice assist for their only goal as well.

I love the guy, to be honest I wish we kept him. He probably wasn't good enough but we don't know for sure that he isn't. Valencia is declining, Nani will never show consistency, Young just isn't good enough.. At least Bebe is still progressing.

I really hope he does well and I'm convinced that he'll at least prove to be a good signing for Benfica. I'm probably just sentimental.

LARulz

Same, I wanted to keep him and for Van Gaal to play him this pre season. He's better equiped than Nani to be in this system and we can sell Young and get another winger/wing back.

Walters_19_MuFc

Ye, looked good when he come on. Bagged an assist, and took a couple of Ronaldo-esque free kicks that were unlucky. Hope he does really well at Benfica.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
although his level of play with us was of joke levels, it's a shrewd move putting that 50% sell on fee in.

Just on the tiny chance he morphs into some monster who goes for a huge fee!

LARulz

although his level of play with us was of joke levels, it's a shrewd move putting that 50% sell on fee in.

Football Manager it. Sign him back and claim half your money back too.

Ekeke

He would actually have been decent to keep around and try in the new formation, what with our wingers becoming wingbacks or striking options.

He's a striker really, he just doesnt have the nous to lead the line. Having someone up front with him would have helped him a lot. And he'd have found himself in shooting positions where he could hammer them in.

Still the same goes for someone like Lingard

Manucho the boss

You wot mate? What use is a sell on clause if he turns into a brilliant player? I'd much rather have the player then so it wouldn't be shrewd.Hope we don't know regret letting him go, was a beast against Arsenal when he came on.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
You wot mate? What use is a sell on clause if he turns into a brilliant player? I'd much rather have the player then so it wouldn't be shrewd.Hope we don't know regret letting him go, was a beast against Arsenal when he came on.
The issue is that he clearly wouldn't get the opportunity to become that 'beast' here, as his playing time would be severely limited due to our other options.

At Benfica he'll probably get a lot more playing time and his development arc will be very different to what it would be here.

It's a bit like Matic at Chelsea. He had to go to Portugal to hone his talents and get the game time to develop. It's very unlikely he'd be the player he is today if he'd remained at Chelsea getting the odd Carling Cup game and sub appearance.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
erm, he's been here about 4 years and done the square route of jack sh!t.

So if he does become effective elsewhere we could get a decent fee, rather than the pony £2m we received