Bebe

JackXX

Best of luck to him and his career. People love to mock him but he's done incredibly well really.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
There's an obvious work around that. It happened last year when Porto sold Rodriguez and Moutinho together to monaco iirc and severely overvalued rodriguez and under valued Moutinho, to reduce how much they had to pay sporting, as sporting had a sell on clause. There's nothing to prevent it or legally stop teams from doing.

That's a pretty shit deal if you ask me on our part but that's no surprise given our track record of sales. Maybe we should get in someone to negotiate transfers, chelsea seem damn good at it in recent years.
No that's a myth.

Moutinho went for 25m euros and Rodriguez went for 45m euros.

Ekeke

The thing to point out about the sell on fee is, if Bebe comes good and becomes a first teamer and sought after player at Benfica

A) Benfica will likely do their best to keep him and sell others instead. Thats just better business for them.
B) Bebe will likely be happy enough at the top of Liga Sagres, coming a long way from where he started. I mean you never know, but he's more likely to appreciate a solid career at one of the top portuguese clubs as long as he's winning things than most other players

jason93

Best of luck to him and his career. People love to mock him but he's done incredibly well really.
There's literally nothing to mock him about. He's played for two of the biggest clubs in the world, what are they doing?

Blue always red

There's literally nothing to mock him about. He's played for two of the biggest clubs in the world, what are they doing?
Agreed and he has scored twice in the 7 times he's played which isn't bad at all, considering some of our 1st choice wingers. I remember him saying himself is mentality was not good when he first joined us but I think he has really changed himself around. Definitely has the physique and athleticism to be a beast.

saivet

Hope the lad does well and gets plays for the national side. Still, one of the most bizarre transfers I've seen.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
No that's a myth.

It isn´t a myth at all. Moutinho was way more valuable when that deal happened. That deal was indeed arranged to screw us (Sporting). Only happened because we had an imbecile as President back then though and made a stupid contract sale.

Manucho the boss

Best of luck to the lad although if he's a success there it'll be surreal to see him playing in the Champions League next season while our players sit around wondering how it's come to this.

€3m is nothing really, hope we don't come to regret this.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
About Bébé, like i said multiple times i wouldn´t mind having him at Sporting at all. I think he has enough ability and potencial to go on and have a decent career (club and national team wise). Can´t wish him luck because he now plays for our fierce rivals. It´s up to him now to seize this opportunity and keep evolving as a player to prove the doubters wrong.

LARulz

50% sell on sounds nice. Can we do a Football Manager and sign him back in the future if he does well and get half our money back?

Santos J

No that's a myth.

It isn't a myth, Moutinho was worth way more than that and Rodriguez was worth around €25m. If Sporting didn't get part of a fee Moutinho would've gone for closer to €40m.

Drummer

I've nothing against bebe, good look to the lad...

Not sure where all the love comes from though!

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Oh and by the way 3 million (plus the 50%, whos knows that percentage might come handy with Jorge Jesus influence on players) for him? I think that´s a great deal by Woodward. Thought you would get 1 million tops.

LARulz

I've nothing against bebe, good look to the lad...

Not sure where all the love comes from though!
For me it's for several reasons. One the fee is not his fault but that's been associated with him. He had hardly any professional football training and was coming in at an older age than most footballers do now, so whilst he may have raw skill and power, his tactical ability and know how was lagging. So by default, he was a couple years at least behind his team mates of similar age. Add to that he was a young guy coming to a new country, to one of the biggest clubs in the world in what must have been a whirlwind 12 months for him.

The following seasons he went on loan but think some of them were long term injury struck ones. Last season though I believe he had a full season and played very well. Finally managing situations better to go along with his speed/power. I've always argued his cause that he started late in pro football so should be given a bit longer to get to terms with it. He clearly had the physical attributes and was apparently skilful, so for me it was just give him more training and he could be good. Add in to the fact it would be a nice story and stop him becoming the punchline for opposition fans.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Hopefully he'll do well. Good money that we got for him. That 50% clause might get us even in the end or close.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Jorge Mendes is the real winner in this. Won in the first deal with Guimarães, won in the deal now with United and will probably win again in the near future.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Well, Bebe's got a good move to Benfica now. After Markovic left with Rodrigo on loan, Bebe will get some good first-team football under a good manager in Jorge Jesus. This is a good move for him, and he now has the chance to establish himself at a team that plays Champions/Europa League football and wins trophies regularly.

jason93

Hopefully he'll do well. Good money that we got for him. That 50% clause might get us even in the end or close.
While that is true, I don't see why people overreact about the deal. It's not like we signed him for 30m.

7m for a teen prospect with tons of potential seems like a pretty good deal to me. We took a gamble, we developed him into a fine player and we made a career for a guy who just a few years ago didn't even have a home.

Even though he's gone now, that's a feel-good story from where I'm standing. I think and hope he'll turn into a top class player.

Castia

Good luck Bebe. For him moving to one of the biggest clubs in his home country is a massive deal I hope he does well.

If he plays like last season and bags 15+ goals for Benfica whilst getting CL football and possibly some winners medals then I can see another team coming in for him before long.

Last edited:

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
While that is true, I don't see why people overreact about the deal. It's not like we signed him for 30m.

7m for a teen prospect with tons of potential seems like a pretty good deal to me. We took a gamble, we developed him into a fine player and we made a career for a guy who just a few years ago didn't even have a home.

Even though he's gone now, that's a feel-good story from where I'm standing. I think and hope he'll turn into a top class player.
The overaction was because he wasn't a prospect. SAF had never seen him, the agent made this all happen. He had never played in a top league or was really seen or heard by anyone. All of a sudden 7m and after he came he look far from a 7m potential. Also all the homeless rumors and that shit didn't help.

jason93

The overaction was because he wasn't a prospect. SAF had never seen him, the agent made this all happen. He had never played in a top league or was really seen or heard by anyone. All of a sudden 7m and after he came he look far from a 7m potential. Also all the homeless rumors and that shit didn't help.
He was a prospect. Carlos Queiroz said he was the next Ronaldo.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
Good deal for us. If he ever amounts to anything, he'll get us a good amount and if he doesn't, he hasn't done any worse than punts like Obertan and Tosic.

So, Bebe will play in the Champions League, eh? :(

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal

Let´s be honest about this. United got played by Mendes, it´s simple. The supposed Real Madrid interest, the inflated fee for a player with no professional or youth academy background (heck no career info, no one in Portugal knew him at all), was all setup by an unscrupulous agent who is widely known in Portugal by his connection to obscure funds and shady businessmen.

There is obviously the feel good aspect of his story after a very rough childhood and adolescence but everything else could be discribed by how a top european club got played by an agent who "sold" them the supposedly "next big thing", the next Ronaldo in an unbelievable deal.

You didn´t develop Bébé at all. Bébé started to develop under the guidance of experienced coaches and former pros at Rio Ave and Paços Ferreira. His Besiktas and United reserve team stints didn´t have an impact in his footballing evolution in my opinion.

However, United did have an influence on him on other aspects. Like he said in many interviews here in Portugal, having shared the locker room with players like Giggs and Scholes gave him a proper influence regarding his professional approach and work rate. He praised them alot, specially Scholes who probably "lost" some of his time, trying to mentor him. The rest comes from himself. He was the one who changed his approach and attitude to prove the people who mocked him wrong. He was the one who revived his career. With his hard work and commitment to the game. Now he gets his reward. Playing in one of the biggest clubs in his home country, playing properly in the Champions League, probably reaching national team status in the near future and play competitions like the European Championship or World cup. It´s all up to him.

Reactions: Damien

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
His goals from last year, some are really good.
Quality!

In all seriousness, despite the lack of appearances for us, I don't think the fee we paid will look at all silly in a year or so's time, and the 50% sell on shows the club still thinks there is a chance he will still make it big. Has loads of talent, just came to things a bit too late, and came to us a bit too raw.

jason93

Let´s be honest about this. United got played by Mendes, it´s simple. The supposed Real Madrid interest, the inflated fee for a player with no professional or youth academy background (heck no career info, no one in Portugal knew him at all), was all setup by an unscrupulous agent who is widely known in Portugal by his connection to obscure funds and shady businessmen.

There is obviously the feel good aspect of his story after a very rough childhood and adolescence but everything else could be discribed by how a top european club got played by an agent who "sold" them the supposedly "next big thing", the next Ronaldo in an unbelievable deal.

You didn´t develop Bébé at all. Bébé started to develop under the guidance of experienced coaches and former pros at Rio Ave and Paços Ferreira. His Besiktas and United reserve team stints didn´t have an impact in his footballing evolution in my opinion.

However, United did have an influence on him on other aspects. Like he said in many interviews here in Portugal, having shared the locker room with players like Giggs and Scholes gave him a proper influence regarding his professional approach and work rate. He praised them alot, specially Scholes who probably "lost" some of his time, trying to mentor him. The rest comes from himself. He was the one who changed his approach and attitude to prove the people who mocked him wrong. He was the one who revived his career. With his hard work and commitment to the game. Now he gets his reward. Playing in one of the biggest clubs in his home country, playing properly in the Champions League, probably reaching national team status in the near future and play competitions like the European Championship or World cup. It´s all up to him.
Fair enough. It can't be all that shady though if the best team in Portugal want him. I don't think we got played, I just think we took a gamble cause Ferguson trusted Quieroz.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Hope the lad does well. If there's one thing I always admired about him, he never gave up. No matter how badly it was going during the game. That's one aspect that was United standard for sure.
What would constitute giving up? Are we praising players nowadays for not abandoning matches before the final whistle?

:lol: "United standard" - like if any other club would accept otherwise.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Fair enough. It can't be all that shady though if the best team in Portugal want him. I don't think we got played, I just think we took a gamble cause Ferguson trusted Quieroz.
Mate i´m talking about when he was sold from Guimarães to United. No top club in Portugal wanted him at that time. Heck no one knew him. Queiroz got played by Mendes, just like United did. Doubt Queiroz knew him at all. Perhaps Queiroz also wanted to fill his pockets. I wouldn´t doubt it if Mendes also gave him some "money incentives". With Queiroz caracther (involved in multiple lawsuits (BPN bank affair and a Dubai agent dispute) where he has been convicted), that wouldn´t surprise me.

RooneyLegend

Amazing that he's improved enough for a club as big as benfica to sign him. Keep doing your thing bebe...by the way, what's Obertan up to nowadays?

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
this year is my year on SM
I said he would not make it as a pro based on the handfull of games. Simply because I had never seen a player with such poor touch and control.

He honestly reminded me of me with a ball.

I am 100% certain he will never make it here or at any big side. Not making it as a pro wasnt fair, but he will be a lower league footballer within 2-3 years.
2 years down the road. Benfica are decent side.

Ekeke

Its because we could have signed him for peanuts a few weeks before, we took him before he did anything even in the top tier of portuguese football and we paid a significant fee to do it.

And he followed Ronaldo and Nani, two gifted players even if Nani hasn't always convinced everyone its clear to anyone with a brain he always had the ability to do so.

Bebe came in and the only skill he was able to show in his first season was his shot. He scored a great volley I remember. And when he's had that chance to shoot he's usually done well. But basically everything else you'd want from a winger was missing, because he's not really a winger. He's just a physically built player with a good shot.

Unfortunately he lacked experience and the know-how to play up front otherwise that would suit him more. He's still learning it.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
His arrival at United will go down in history. Good luck to him though.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Impressed with our decent outgoing transfer business so far. We somehow managed to sell Buttner on a profit. The 50% sell on clause for Bebe was a shrewd bit of business, can't believe Benfica agreed to it given how they sell most of their good players later on(no disrespect to them but its their transfer strategy). Either they are just taking a gamble on him for 3 mil or they think he will just be a good squad player and nothing special.

Last edited:

foolsgold

Best of luck to the fella, he's off the wage bill and more importantly he's not taking up a space in the squad.

win / win.

Simbo

Always had talent, just couldn't handle the stage in his first match at OT and that game became his legacy.