Television Beckham's Netflix documentary

arnie_ni

Ahh I just did a quick google and apparently she's getting support for the comments Beckham made in his documentary. I mean you're pretty much an almost honewrecker if the stories are true. Personal assistant hmmm :nervous:
He didn't say anything bad about her?

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
The flashbacks of United is the only interesting aspect for me. I didn't realize how bad it was when England turned on him. I felt proud of the way everyone looked after him. I don't remember exactly what Keane said but it was something to do with Becks having people who were willing to physically fight for him. The way Sir Alex kept calling him Son made me tear up a couple times. Sir Alex really was the Father of our club and we'll never get another like him.
In a way this documentary makes it seem odd almost that SAF didnt count him as one of the players he personally labeled as world class that had played for him. But Im guessing he was no fan of Beckham's off the pitch antics at all - as he more or less directly says in the documentary, so that probably weighed into it.

Wing Attack Plan R

Made me remember how much I loved him as a player. Doesn’t seem to have any internal life at all. His OCD must’ve been incredibly difficult to deal with but they play it for laughs. It was like candy: tasty but zero nutritional value.

Fergie should not have sold him. Still annoyed !

Last edited:

clarkydaz

Ahh I just did a quick google and apparently she's getting support for the comments Beckham made in his documentary. I mean you're pretty much an almost honewrecker if the stories are true. Personal assistant hmmm :nervous:
She had a career on the back of it, lots of TV shows for a few years

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Made me remember how much I loved him as a player. Doesn’t seem to have any internal life at all. His OCD must’ve been incredibly difficult to deal with but they play it for laughs. It was like candy: tasty but zero nutritional value.

Fergie should not have sold him. Still annoyed !
I was convinced at the time Fergie made absolutely the correct the decision to sell and watching this documentary has only enhanced that

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Beckham had another 6 years in him at the peak of his game. It was foolish to sell him over spite.
Nope he was becoming a distraction. The boot incident and how he reacted. No coming back from that

It was 100% the right call

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
They make it seem like it was constant drama and he was never settled. Maybe that was true, or maybe it was just because that’s the interesting parts worth talking about, or likely just making the documentary more dramatic. But then I suppose it was a bit of a whirlwind life at that point.

They definitely played down how much Beckham went after the media attention and that’s ultimately what Fergie hated. They made it seem as though the celebrity factor entirely came to him rather than him chasing it, aside from a brief mention of him wanting a career after football.

Hard to argue as it’s played out so well for him, but you can see why Fergie didn’t like it, as he only wanted us to be a footballing machine.

Even as a kid I thought the price he was sold for was way too little. Hearing the Real Madrid boss say they tripled their revenue only confirms that. Never been good at selling have we? The most marketable player in the world at the time and in his prime.

Also laughed at him saying he was born to be a Real Madrid player with a smugness, contrasted by Beckham’s constant adoration of United and not wanting to leave.
Today is seems ludicrous but in the era of the Galácticos he was probably right

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Well, I think you're 100% wrong, because opinions.
Would United have won more than they did without him, possibly, but they still won a fair bit of stuff, would Beckham be what he is today if he'd stayed at United, almost certainly not, on balance I think he was better off going when he did

Alek M

Da manic one
He is lying that he never wanted to go to Madrid. You can see that he does have that little kid attitude when he didn’t like Real’s situation he found another option. Bit egoistical. Same witb United. He felt he was bigger than the club and wanted to show Fergie that. He is lying as you see the whole discussion when Real came to OT.

And Fergie knew he wanted to go to Real so he sold him firts to Barca. Those two had big egos but SAF is out of this world big.

Remember the lipreading situation when he was cought “I ve had talks”? Re Real.

Great documentary. It was beat for both parties that he left.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
One of my favorite players, so I thought I’d have liked this a little more then I have been.

Massive puff piece, which I have zero issue with but I’m not sure I believe him when he tries to convince the world the money and fame never changed him. Not necessarily a negative, but yeah.

Zen

That first year at RM; Jesus christ at the calamity of the ending for Real Madrid.... last 11 league games 2 win, 2 draws, 7 losses on top of crushing losses in the Final of the Copa and losing to Monaco :lol:

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
His biggest achievement is hiding how painfully dull he is, for as long as he has.

Hell of a player, and I liked the early parts of the doco with the football parts, But I’ve given up early. It’s dreadful propaganda nonsense.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
His biggest achievement is hiding how painfully dull he is, for as long as he has.

Hell of a player, and I liked the early parts of the doco with the football parts, But I’ve given up early. It’s dreadful propaganda nonsense.
If you think Beckham is dull I wonder what you make of the Neville's!

Amir

They showed a clip of him skying a freekick and a few wayward crosses to make it look like he was playing shite.
Yeah, they really did a number on that Inter match.

We were 2-0 ahead at half time, with Beckham setting up both of Yorke's goals. The first goal was something like six minutes into the game. Yet they are making it look like he had a terrible match - and then everything changed following those chants. Awfully creative, and a blatant lie.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Beckham is still probably my favourite player of all time, but, from what I'm reading, this doesn't seem like a must see as it comes across as artificial with lots of rewriting of history. Would you guys recommend it?

clarkydaz

Beckham is still probably my favourite player of all time, but, from what I'm reading, this doesn't seem like a must see as it comes across as artificial with lots of rewriting of history. Would you guys recommend it?
i liked it for the United part, then i got bored with the Madrid onwards stuff

bondsname

Just finished the documentary. Really felt like they' were trying to paint Beckham in best light possible... And that's fine, it's a series to celebrate him and his career. But it didn't feel authentic to me.

I got the vibes he was cheating on Posh though. His tone and attitude just subtly changed when speaking about it.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Just finished the documentary. Really felt like they' were trying to paint Beckham in best light possible... And that's fine, it's a series to celebrate him and his career. But it didn't feel authentic to me.

I got the vibes he was cheating on Posh though. His tone and attitude just subtly changed when speaking about it.
He basically admitted it without saying as much.

Does he address why he sold out to Qatar for the World Cup?
Despite my snarky comment on page 1 I quite liked it and I'm glad it stuck to the football. So obviously a PR piece off the back of the Qatar thing but it was a nice trip down memory lane, and a reminder both how good he was and what a waste his LA stint was.

Lyng

What I mostly got from this was how much this club and fans have changed. It used to be us against them. Now the fans can't agree on anything and most our players have none of the old United DNA.

T_Model101

Did Madrid really want to keep him? Was he making that much money for the brand that nothing else mattered?
The idea of a 34/35 year old Beck's, who at the time probably would have been the highest paid footballer in the world, hanging around still thinking he is a superstar would have been a nightmare for any manager

Tarrou

Did Madrid really want to keep him? Was he making that much money for the brand that nothing else mattered?
The idea of a 34/35 year old Beck's, who at the time probably would have been the highest paid footballer in the world, hanging around still thinking he is a superstar would have been a nightmare for any manager
he was only 32/33 when he left Madrid and was did well at the end of his last season there, so I wouldn't be that surprised

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Love Beckham the player. My favourite United player ever after Keane.
But not watching this. Beckham (and Victoria), but especially him have always been very attention seeking. Don’t like what I am reading (the edits, etc.), not needed, his true story is interesting enough, why the edits?
Twisting stories or telling them differently or dramatically is also nothing new for Beckham. For example while as a childhood United fan, United academy player, etc. it was definitely difficult for him to leave United, part of him also wanted to leave (as Fergie wasn’t allowing him to be bigger than the club). But he acted / wrote / told as if he was forced to join awful and disgusting Real Madrid while he himself desperately wanted to stay at United forever.

Plus while it was out of order from Fergie to (even if accidentally) kick the ball at him/his eye, a lot of United fans didn’t like it when next day he was more than happy to highlight that cut for media/public/everyone to see.

He is also a very dull personality but more than makes up for it by his talent/football ability, inspirational play style (strong mentality, passionate, hard working, big moments and big game player) and extraordinary good looks.

Last but not least both him and Fergie were right in 2003. Fergie would have only kept him if Beckham could only focus on football at the highest level for another decade like Giggs and Scholes did. But Fergie knew that was not going to happen.

From Beckham‘s perspective he had already achieved everything with United and had a lot of crucial contributions to some of our biggest and most memorable games and achievements. Now it was time for him to move on and focus on brand Beckham.

Last edited:

Irwin99

What's been implied in some of the posts here as to some of the content makes me glad i didn't watch it. Becks was pretty much in great form the whole season in '99, was voted 2nd in the world player of the year and got something like 20+ assists that season, along with 9 goals. Also think he and Keane were nominated for the PFA player of the year award and becks was in the team of the season.

I recently watched the 3-0 drubbing by Arsenal in the early part of that season and he and Keane were the only two players of ours that came out of that game with any cred as we were shite.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I've watched two episodes tonight.
It's as I thought. Attention seekers him and his Mrs. He's turning into Simon Cowell too. They must use same plastic surgeon.

Hoddle was a prick though.

Yagami

Good post resistant
i liked it for the United part, then i got bored with the Madrid onwards stuff
Yeah, I'm not that interested in his post United career. How much of the show was about his time here at United? About 50% would you say?

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Plus while it was out of order from Fergie to (even if accidentally) kick the ball at him/his eye, a lot of United fans didn’t like it when next day he was more than happy to highlight that cut for media/public/everyone to see.
I remember seeing the way he clearly deliberately paraded his face with tiny plasters over his eyebrow and wanting him gone.

Loved revisiting the good days, but nothing in that documentary has changed my mind. In fact, I had completely forgotten he had a strop about staying in Milan and not wanting to go back to LA.