Bedbug infestation in Paris!

Withnail

Absolutely. I’ve given up and today sent in my one month notice to the landlord and will now start looking at other flats. I thought I’d gotten rid of them, but yesterday killed two in my bedroom again, one of them was full with blood. Sickening scourge.
Won't you just bring them with you or are you planning to burn everything you own?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Besides burning the place to the ground, what would you recommend?
You have to get a pest control company to do the heat treatment. If they don't do it fully you'll have to do it again.

In the short term, get some pesticide, something with pyrethrum will do. Find them and kill them with it. They're lazy so will have set up shop somewhere on your mattress, boxspring or bedframe. Once destroyed you'll need to get a mattress protector (usually used for bedwetting) and put that on your mattress. This way they won't be able to hide there.

Then, get some clear silicon caulking and seal up every gap you can find in your floors, walls etc. Put it around your outlet covers, too.

These steps will keep them at bay for a bit. Then you should move somewhere else and don't being any furniture or appliances with you.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Won't you just bring them with you or are you planning to burn everything you own?
Will leave the furniture behind and carefully check all clothes/towels/sheets etc. I’m still worried that I’ll take some with me accidentally, as just one of these feckers can start an infestation all over again.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
You have to get a pest control company to do the heat treatment. If they don't do it fully you'll have to do it again.

In the short term, get some pesticide, something with pyrethrum will do. Find them and kill them with it. They're lazy so will have set up shop somewhere on your mattress, boxspring or bedframe. Once destroyed you'll need to get a mattress protector (usually used for bedwetting) and put that on your mattress. This way they won't be able to hide there.

Then, get some clear silicon caulking and seal up every gap you can find in your floors, walls etc. Put it around your outlet covers, too.

These steps will keep them at bay for a bit. Then you should move somewhere else and don't being any furniture or appliances with you.
Thanks for the info but I meant more if I'm staying at a hotel that might be infested. Is there anything that can be done?

Plastic Evra

I believe there's also cryo treatments (works like heat) but it's the same story, extensive process.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
They're crafty. Pesticides will kill them but they're good at hiding and can go a year without feeding.

Heat is the only thing that kills them but you have to make sure the entire place is warmed to something like 60 degrees throughout. If any spot does not get that warm they'll find it and survive.
Yep. Basically one has to turn their flat, etc. into a kiln to eradicate the feckers.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Thanks for the info but I meant more if I'm staying at a hotel that might be infested. Is there anything that can be done?
Keep everything you bring into the hotel room in sealable plastic bags. Even your toiletries. I’ve heard to leave everything bagged in the tub or shower as they have difficulty walking on them, especially the tub.

As far as battling them while in the hotel, you got no shot to keep them at bay. Just limit what they have the ability to hitch a ride on.

RedDevil@84

I didn’t know they were so hard to get rid of and such a nuisance. I’ve been reading anecdotes on other forums and worst case scenarios people are saying they had to pack up and leave everything behind and that they’d rather have had cockroaches
In US, when you sign an apartment lease, they have a separate bedbug addendum.

Dr. Dwayne

Posted earlier, guess you missed it.

I pack my clothes in plastic bags and then put them in the luggage to try and thwart them. Bring another bag to put your luggage in at the hotel, too.

Dr. Dwayne

Ahh thanks. I'm planning a trip to Paris in March and then I see this. Hopefully all the bed bugs are gone by then.
I'm not sure if hotels care all that much. As you've seen in this thread, they're very hard to get rid of so they likely just do spot treatments as it's almost impossible for them to do it properly.

I find recycling bags work the best.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Paris sucks. If you re going to fly across the pond go somewhere fun.
It's my niece's sweet 16 and that's one of the places she wanted to go. Plus side, we're going to a few other countries so that's not the only stop. I'm not going to tell my sister about the bed bugs, she'll freak out.
I'm not sure if hotels care all that much. As you've seen in this thread, they're very hard to get rid of so they likely just do spot treatments as it's almost impossible for them to do it properly.

I find recycling bags work the best.
Cool thanks for the tip. I'll have to figure a way to casually mention that we should put everything in recycling bags. :nervous:

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Imagine being French, waking up at 3am to phone up your King and tell him that he's a prat, sending a carrier pigeon to the Canadians telling them that they're not French so just quit their shit, stomping on some grapes with the remainder of this year's harvest, and wiping your knob on the curtains for the fifth time, only to find something in your bed that's dirtier than your musette playing girlfriend.
I thought the French chopped their King's head off a couple of hunfred years ago :confused:

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
It's my niece's sweet 16 and that's one of the places she wanted to go. Plus side, we're going to a few other countries so that's not the only stop. I'm not going to tell my sister about the bed bugs, she'll freak out.

Cool thanks for the tip. I'll have to figure a way to casually mention that we should put everything in recycling bags. :nervous:
Go to Amsterdam or Brussels, get the train to Paris for the day and then leave!

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

:lol:

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Paris sucks. If you re going to fly across the pond go somewhere fun.
Paris is awesome, so much to do and see, so many places to visit. One of the great cities in the World and in general France is a great place to visit. Beautiful country.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Will leave the furniture behind and carefully check all clothes/towels/sheets etc. I’m still worried that I’ll take some with me accidentally, as just one of these feckers can start an infestation all over again.
Wash all your clothes, towels, sheets and other stuff and put them on a high temperature dryer, and shake them in the end. Make sure to seal your clothes so when you put them in the hanger they wont be able to hide there. Remember: they can also hide inside electronics like TVs, etc.

On your next house buy a sanitary mattress protection: this will probably reduce the chances of having the same problem on your next home.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I guess the French will need to start covering their hair and wearing long sleeves. :wenger:

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Wash all your clothes, towels, sheets and other stuff and put them on a high temperature dryer, and shake them in the end. Make sure to seal your clothes so when you put them in the hanger they wont be able to hide there. Remember: they can also hide inside electronics like TVs, etc.

On your next house buy a sanitary mattress protection: this will probably reduce the chances of having the same problem on your next home.
Cheers, appreciate the advice.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Paris is awesome, so much to do and see, so many places to visit. One of the great cities in the World and in general France is a great place to visit. Beautiful country.
Will give ya the rest of France - Paris however I dont care if I see it again. Maybe I'm spoiled for having been there too many times but the things that rub me wrong the most are the prevalence of seediness in some parts and more importantly: the level of self importance not even the French themselves necessarily show - but the hordes of tourists do, and the people exploiting them. It's better in the middle of winter. I'm also not a fan of LA for some of the same reasons. The way it gets romanticized is excessive.

marktan

Feck sake been getting one or two spots over the last week, was hoping it was a heat rash or something but blood stains on the bed means probably bed bugs. Luckily not many spots so guessing they haven't multiplied yet.

Plan of action
- Mattress protector
- Wash clothes I've worn to bed
- Pesticide on bed frame and around room

Anything else? Throwing out the bed? I know my sister struggled with bed bugs a while back in her room, think what sorted it was repeated treatments from the council (not sure if heat or chemical)

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Feck sake been getting one or two spots over the last week, was hoping it was a heat rash or something but blood stains on the bed means probably bed bugs. Luckily not many spots so guessing they haven't multiplied yet.

Plan of action
- Mattress protector
- Wash clothes I've worn to bed
- Pesticide on bed frame and around room

Anything else? Throwing out the bed? I know my sister struggled with bed bugs a while back in her room, think what sorted it was repeated treatments from the council (not sure if heat or chemical)
I've dealt with one, one of the maids love cats so she feed alot of cats, brought leece and one of the bugs inside. Throw away the matress and bought a new one will do, it's old anyway and due for a replacement.

You won't know they exist until they're colonized.. So.. tough luck. Especially if in Paris' case they're all over, you'll potentially be bringing more and more and spreading them bugs all over.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I can't imagine waking up to a few of them under a sheet with me all over my legs, feeling them scurry around.

That's Fear Factor type shit for me.