Behind the Curtain | Eastern European draft | The winner: Skizzo

Tuppet

Hm, interesting, always thought that he was a half back but maybe he was one of those multitalented all-rounders?
Never heard that about him being a striker myself, always read that he was a half back. He does have some footage available online from WC 54, I'll see what else is there.

RedTiger

Half mast
This is one of the full backs who I've read great things about, so I'm very happy to pick him.

Downcast (Anders Emil Våge) 1. F. Puskás 2. B. Zebec 3. G. Popescu
Moby 1. M. Sammer 2. E. Streltsov 3. D. Stojković
green_smiley 1. D. Džajić 2. Z. Boban 3. R. Lewandowski
Skizzo 1. P. Nedved 2. K. Deyna 3. J. Popluhár
Isotope 1. H. Stoichkov 2. D. Savićević 3. J. Buzanszky
prath92 1. J. Bozsik 2. M. Sindelar 3. G. Lóránt
Šjor Bepo (Invictus) 1. N. Hidegkuti 2. N. Vidić 3. S. Pluskal
BorisDeLeFora 1. S. Kocsis 2. L. Yashin 3. S. Sušić
Raees 1. J. Masopust 2. A. Shesternyov 3. A. Demyanenko
mazhar13 (oneniltothearsenal) 1. V. Vasović 2. M. Khurtsilava 3. B. Oblak 4. F. Jusufi
Tuppet 1. Z. Boniek 2. F. Albert 3. F. Bene 4. Z. Čajkovski
Enigma_87 1. L. Kubala 2. L. Modrić 3. D. Šuker 4. M. Belodedici
Pat_Mustard 1. Z. Czibor 2. G. Sárosi 3. W. Zmuda 4. V. Kolotov
RedTiger (2mufc0) 1. G. Hagi 2. A. Shevchenko 3. S. Mihajlović 4. D. Stanković
Gio (Theon) 1. O. Blokhin 2. V. Voronin 3. V. Bezsonov (Bessonov) 4. D. Šekularac
Jayvin 1. G. Lato 2. I. Netto 3. S. Bobek 4. H-J. Dörner

@Raees
Good pick. Jusufi and vasovic!

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
BRANKO STANKOVIC

A true pioneer of the modern day fullback, in the top tier of eastern European full-backs and arguably one of if not the best out and out right back from the region. He mainly played for Red Star Belgrade and was capped 61 times for Yugoslavia. He participated at two World Cups and twice at Olympic Games. Stanković is one of the most elegant defense players of his time. Because of his playing style, he earned his nickname Ambassador.

When in 1956. The last donned the national jersey, he was 37 years and 27 days and the oldest player to ever play in the national team of Yugoslavia.

As a versatile right-back high quality, "fit" is a peculiar style, elegance in every movement, extreme coolness and refined technique, thanks to heavy stress, he was able to effectively and shook the net.

He played for SK "Glory" - Sarajevo (1937-1941) and "BSK" - Belgrade (1941-1944), a celebrated in the red and white jersey "Red Star" - Belgrade (1945-1958), where in 13 years played 495 official games (36 goals), of which 195 in the championship game (15 goals). He has won 4 national championship titles (1951, 1953, 1956 in 1957.), And 3 winning Yugoslav Cup trophies (1948, 1949, 1950)..

As a Serb, April in 1941. run by the Ustasha henchmen. In Belgrade dress shirt KSF, multiple champion of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia. Stankovic was then twenty years old, but has already been established as a football player. He is out of the ordinary quality. He was strong, fast, bold, excellent heads, has a violent blow, he was considered a great artist foul outside the penalty area and gave the goals that way.

Fit, as he was intimately called not only to others but the club and the fans, has a fine technique, sense of play, successfully driblovao and forcefully penetrated. Long before all the world's experts, he was a "modern quarterback," in today's sense of the word - he went on the attack, deftly crossed and posed a threat to the opponent, always as a surprise, because in that style no one before him has played. He later accepted that Bruno Belin, then Fahrudin Jusufi Milovan Djuric, Petar Krivokuća ...

Before the Second World War in Yugoslavia football was some excellent shooting guards who pulled striking than others. The largest among them was Milutin Ivkovic popular Milutinac. He is irreplaceable national team defender, he played in the first World Cup in Montevideo in 1930.

At that time in the game mode backs have played at the edge of the penalty area, center back was a playmaker. In this system Milutinac was the first quarterback in the country, an indispensable member of the national team. To fans, he was a "state brakes." In our post-war football this class and fame had Branko Stankovic. Of course, in the current WM system. He played with a special elegance, technical ease, almost effortlessly, like Pavarotti singing.

Beautiful appearance, upright posture, reminiscent of the ancient gods. Not be served roughness, which is a characteristic of backs. It was under Stanetovog dignity and understanding of sport as a knight games. Once it happened that the match England - Yugoslavia (3-0) Stankovic played against legendary Stanley Matthews. On slippery surfaces Matthews used his masterful dribbling. In one of his sleight happened to be fit slipped and fall of the British caught at the waist. It was a "picture of the year". Beneath her cynical commentator wrote: "Sorry, mister Stankovic, those are my feet!"

Despite the fact that in these duels Matthews several times a winner, famously right wing of the English national team has not forgotten Stane's sword dance. When the Football Federation of England hosted a gala reception in celebration of Sir Stenlijevog eightieth birthday, the birthday boy as guests invited some great players from abroad. Not forgotten our Stankovic. This call Yugoslavs among the world's elite, Matthews explained,

- When the game starts its direct rivals meet after ten minutes, much like boxers in the ring. I immediately saw that the player Stankovic extra class. My chance was that the ground was slippery, and I'm so much easier and I was able to use his dribbling upper body. And then I met najkorektnijeg rivals in his career. At no time is noble Yugoslav reached for sharpness, his mighty strength or brutality. Imponovao me: control of himself and the situation. My wish is that this knight of football to be my guest, the big celebration.

Stankovic I accepted the invitation, the old guard was great together. In the long period of his career Stane is remembered for a style that has stood out all game guards. Domestic and foreign. All were active in the same way as the one dies, only Branko Stankovic given the impression that the game in patent leather shoes, not boots, so he acted superior and elegant.

For eight decades of Yugoslav football, and our participation in the international stage, none of the guards could not get closer to this great article "Red Star". Stana played 61 matches for the national "blue"! He made his debut in the first match of the national team after the World War II. It was in Prague, we won 2-0, gels Mitic and Kosta Tomasevic. Our team was composed of Monsider Stankovic, Kokeza, dance, Horvath, Simonovski Tomasevic, Mitic, Bobek, Francis Matošić, Kacijan.

Stankovic belonged to that small circle of fudbalcra lines of defense which have enjoyed great popularity among fans of football, not only at home but also abroad.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
BorisDeLeFora 1. S. Kocsis 2. L. Yashin 3. S. Sušić
Raees 1. J. Masopust 2. A. Shesternyov 3. A. Demyanenko 4. B. Stankovic
mazhar13 (oneniltothearsenal) 1. V. Vasović 2. M. Khurtsilava 3. B. Oblak 4. F. Jusufi
Gio (Theon) 1. O. Blokhin 2. V. Voronin 3. V. Bezsonov (Bessonov) 4. D. Šekularac

@BorisDeLeFora

BorisDeLeFora

Milos Milutinović

Bit of reading on him;

Though, in latter years, the fame of the Yugoslav footballer Milos Milutinovic, who has died aged 69, was eclipsed by that of his brother Bora, there is no doubt which was the better player. Bora, who, like Milos, played in France and latterly Mexico, was a solid centre-half. But Milos, who scored 16 goals in 34 international games, having switched from outside-right to centre-forward, was a coruscating star, fast and elusive, and with remarkable ball control.

Born at Boljina Basta, in Serbia, he stood 1m 80cm tall and weighed 77 kilos, and was not easily forced off the ball. Beginning his career with the Bor club, he moved to Partizan of Belgrade, where he initially established himself as a centre-forward. Later, he played in West Germany for Bayern Munich, in France for the Racing club, and eventually in Mexico City.

In 1954, he inspired the Yugoslav attack in the World Cup finals in Switzerland. He was used at outside-right, where his speed and control had ample scope. In the opening game, against France in Lausanne, he scored the only goal of the match. In his country's second game, against Brazil, again in Lausanne - a match of the highest quality, ending in a 1-1 draw - Milutinovic might have settled the match in a lively second-half breakaway. Sent through by the left-winger, Dvornic, he was thwarted only when the Brazilian goalkeeper, Castilho, bravely dived at his feet. The quarter-finals in Geneva saw Yugoslavia defeated 2-0 by Germany.

The following year, after France and Yugoslavia had drawn 1-1 in Paris, a leading French football journalist wrote that Milutinovic "seems to be individually the best Yugoslav footballer since the Liberation. He possessed absolutely the whole arsenal of the great attacker. Unfortunately, his collective spirit is not yet at the level of his individual possibilities."

Shortly before the 1958 World Cup in Sweden, Milutinovic led a Yugoslav attack in Belgrade that devastated England 5-0 - and scored the first of those goals. In Sweden, he was centre-forward in the 1-1 draw with Scotland in Vasteras, and the 3-2 win against France at the same ground. He returned to centre-forward in the quarter finals, but a goal by the powerful German right-winger Helmut Rahn decided the game 1-0.

After retiring, Milutinovic became, for a time, manager of the Yugoslav national side. Married to a Yugoslav woman, he had a daughter who was born in Germany. A French football magazine succinctly described his character as "artist, bohemian".

· Milos Milutinovic, footballer, born February 5 1933; died January 28 2003.

BorisDeLeFora

BorisDeLeFora 1. S. Kocsis 2. L. Yashin 3. S. Sušić 4. M. Milutinović

@Šjor Bepo @Invictus

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Beckenbauer of the East

Šjor Bepo (Invictus) 1. N. Hidegkuti 2. N. Vidić 3. S. Pluskal 4. A. Ondrus

@prath92

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Ondrus :drool: He was brilliant for me at the Euro's draft
This should be a mandatory picture for anyone picking him

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
prath92 1. J. Bozsik 2. M. Sindelar 3. G. Lóránt 4. A Puc

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Surprised at some of the players being overlooked so far.

Maybe it's a matter of scarcity in certain roles, but there's players that off the top of my head I would have rated top 20-30, others defo top 50 and they haven't been picked after 70 picks or so.

Enigma_87

You know who
Surprised at some of the players being overlooked so far.

Maybe it's a matter of scarcity in certain roles, but there's players that off the top of my head I would have rated top 20-30, others defo top 50 and they haven't been picked after 70 picks or so.
Scarcity in certain position is my guess. There is bigger pool and generally similar level players in some positions and not so in others.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Scarcity in certain position is my guess. There is bigger pool and generally similar level players in some positions and not so in others.
The emphasis on fullbacks seems to indicate that. Or maybe it's a case of much of the top tier lads playing out wide.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Isotope 1. H. Stoichkov 2. D. Savićević 3. J. Buzanszky 4. M. Đukić

Skizzo

Skizzo 1. P. Nedved 2. K. Deyna 3. J. Popluhár 4. V. Jugovic

@green_smiley

green_smiley

:lol:
Supports
#Justice4Wang!
green_smiley 1. D. Džajić 2. Z. Boban 3. R. Lewandowski 4. N. Dobrin

@Moby

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
You're a PSG fan? No wonder you were pissed at my insistence that PSG weren't a top 10 side in the 90s:lol:

I take it back bro, they were quality!
:D In terms of peak, they were a top 10 depending the year but they never won a Champions League so you're right in a certain sense :)

Moby

Dick
Moby 1. M. Sammer 2. E. Streltsov 3. D. Stojković 4. Krasimir Balakov
green_smiley 1. D. Džajić 2. Z. Boban 3. R. Lewandowski 4. N. Dobrin

@Downcast