Belfast Rugby Players Rape Trial

Javi

The strangest thing in the story has to be the McIllroy testimony. So the girl says he wasn‘t there. But he said he was there with his dick out. MassiveSpanners article makes the theory that he got his storyline mixed up with Olding when questioned by the police. But why on earth would it make sense for any of the three, least for himself obvs, to place him on the scene when he wasn‘t even there? Mistakes happen when being grilled but it seems a bit off that he can make a mistake like that if his story is not being in the room.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
m not actually sure what happened with the evidence that was provided, rape could have very well happened but there didn't seem to be enough evidence to convict

edgar allan

That's my feeling too. I followed it as closely as time allowed with articles, on the radio and court transcripts on twitter. I was surprised by the speed of the decision and all four getting off.
Usually a sign that the prosecutions case is weak.

edgar allan

It could well. Just less likely in such circumstances.
I remember a number of kiss and tell stories in the papers with PL footballers engaging in group sex, chad Evans case etc.

My point is that when you have fame and money ( football rugby, musicians) and men/women happy to use their fame to exploit sometimes vulnerable people then these type of cases are likely. No more likely in the North of Ireland as anywhere else in the UK imo.
I don't think the understanding of consent is any different over here either.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
I remember a number of kiss and tell stories in the papers with PL footballers engaging in group sex, chad Evans case etc.

My point is that when you have fame and money ( football rugby, musicians) and men/women happy to use their fame to exploit sometimes vulnerable people then these type of cases are likely. No more likely in the North of Ireland as anywhere else in the UK imo.
The Ched Evans case is different because it didn't involve any witness testimony from the alleged victim. It was a dubious case none the less and ofcourse he obviously got convicted on the first trial.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Really?! How did you work that out?
Personal experience aside, the pervasive influence of religion for one. The collective opinion of my family (who are all Irish) for a second.

Baz also posted an interesting stat that in Ireland women are less likely to convict on rape charges. The opposite of the rest of the developed world.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

Of course there are various factor involved and I think there is a general problem with people understanding the concept of consent but I think Ireland (on average) suffers from the religious induced saint or slut dichotomous view of women promoted by the church. It can't be rape because only a slut would have got herself in such a position etc etc

Fully Fledged

Europe is our mainland bud, yous are just another ( slightly bigger) island like ourselves.
Not anymore and that pisses me off no end. I'm not knocking Ireland, I love the place. I'm just saying that the court case fell under British law not Irish law so don't blame the Irish for the result.

edgar allan

Of course there are various factor involved and I think there is a general problem with people understanding the concept of consent but I think Ireland (on average) suffers from the religious induced saint or slut dichotomous view of women promoted by the church. It can't be rape because only a slut would have got herself in such a position etc etc
Well I agree that the churches over here generally have a pretty poor respect for women but I had never thought that this moral view would influence the judgment of such cases.

I guess you never know what bias jurors bring to a case. However all 11 agreed with the verdict so I doubt that they were all fundamentalist christians.

Last edited:

edgar allan

Not anymore and that pisses me off no end. I'm not knocking Ireland, I love the place. I'm just saying that the court case fell under British law not Irish law so don't blame the Irish for the result.
Don't lose faith,these things go in cycles. Undoubtedly in a few years some government will think it a great idea to propose some sort of European Union to join again.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Well I agree that the churches over here generally have a pretty poor respect for women but I had never thought that this moral view would influence the judgment of such cases.

I guess you never know what bias jurors bring to a case. However all 11 agreed with the verdict so I doubt that they were all fundamentalist christians.
I'm sure they weren't but there is a fair chance that they were all Christians and in any case a society like Irleand's (North and South) is very heavily influenced by the church even if you yourself aren't religious or very religious.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
I'm sure they weren't but there is a fair chance that they were all Christians and in any case a society like Irleand's (North and South) is very heavily influenced by the church even if you yourself aren't religious or very religious.
Not so much any more Wibs.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/23/gay-marriage-ireland-yes-vote

We also have a referendum on the horizon to legalise abortion.

And this year was the first year pubs were allowed to open on good Friday.

The days of the church holding the sway of public attitudes are gone.

Thank god :)

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I’m not sure the blood stains are particularly incriminating but can see why they were airbrushed out. If you play a sport where you regularly get the shit kicked out of you - and are as diligent with your laundry as most 20 something year old blokes - there’s a good chance your sheets will have blood on them.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
So they've basically been sacked because of the contents of those text messages?

I'd say every rugby player in Ireland better start deleting texts pretty sharpish then.