Belgian teams stop playing and shake hands on a draw before final whistle: Players fined, captains suspended, manager sacked.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Westerlo and Genk each needed a point to qualify for their respective sections of the wacky playoff system in the Belgian league. After Genk equalise late in the game, both teams stop playing, knock the ball around, and there are players shaking hands and asking for the ref to blow up early while the game is still ongoing.

Every player on the pitch has been fined €1,000, the two captains have been suspended, Westerlo have sacked their manager and prosecutors are getting involved.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/genk-westerlo-belgian-pro-league-32465918

I feel like this kind of thing happens pretty regularly late in the season when a certain result is convenient for both teams... but they just had to take the absolute piss with it for some reason. :lol:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It's extremely bad sportsmanship but it's not cheating.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I recall something similar in a world cup group stage years ago. They both knew that a draw would get them through given the results in the other match in the group, so they just passed it around. Not as bad as this though.

TsuWave

Yeah they’re taking the piss. I’d be furious if United did that

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
A big "f*ck you' to the fans too - clubs should be made to pay back every supporter in that ground.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I recall something similar in a world cup group stage years ago. They both knew that a draw would get them through given the results in the other match in the group, so they just passed it around. Not as bad as this though.
Germany and Austria. Worst thing they've ever done

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
What would’ve been hilarious, and deserved, is if one players went rogue and harmlessly dribbled it while everyone is thinking nothing will happen, then just suddenly turned it on for a few seconds with a burst of pace and a clinical finish to knock the other team out. Would’ve been riots in response, but it would’ve been better than this unsporting debacle.

Bottom line is that we all know this sort of thing happens. Teams will stop taking any risks at all if a draw suits both, but they still make a show of vaguely competing. To do what they did here is to be completely transparent about what’s been happening for years, and what will continue to happen; but their crime is doing it in a way that is a complete pisstake to the competition as a whole and to the other teams competing for those spots.

It’s effectively open collusion to secure a result, which is antithetical to the entire idea of competitive sport. The only reason teams get away with this is that they make a mild show of competing and thus people can grumble but you can’t really complain about the aversion to risk. In this case, however, they’ve done away with convention completely and just openly displayed that they weren’t competing on any level at all. There was zero intent to do anything.

I am not sure the people involved thought this through at all. Everyone doing this sort of thing could always say “yes we didn’t attack but you can still see we are trying to keep the ball and do the basics of the game”, there’s no provable evidence that the teams colluded. Here though, they’ve put it on display for the world; and I suspect they could and should be severely punished. Both teams being thrown out from the playoffs would be apt.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
What would’ve been hilarious, and deserved, is if one players went rogue and harmlessly dribbled it while everyone is thinking nothing will happen, then just suddenly turned it on for a few seconds with a burst of pace and a clinical finish to knock the other team out. Would’ve been riots in response, but it would’ve been better than this unsporting debacle.
Ah that would have been absolutely glorious. A real Slytherin move.

Completely agree though, this makes a mockery of a competitive sport - if anything, their punishment is not severe enough.

Shake Jism

Might've been Germany.

I also remember something slightly similar in cricket with Somerset declaring in a One Day game after an over or something to preserve net run rate. They were subsequently disqualified from the competition.

Denmark and Sweden did something similar years ago. Both secured their spot with a draw whilst giving Italy the boot. They didn't do it as obvious as the OP, but close enough.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
There seemed to be less than a minute left in the game. Don't get these points off the fans being cheated etc when there are less than 60 seconds left. Also, the one shot of the fans showed them happy.

King Eric 7

If the reward for both teams drawing is so high, no wonder this type of stuff happens. Can't blame them really.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Blackburn 1-1 Man Utd 2011. Neither team had any interest in attacking for the last 10 minutes. Literally nothing happened for the last 10 minutes

The Utd players passed in around in their half, and the Blackburn players stayed in their half. United only needed 1 point to win the league, and Blackburn felt like 1 point was going to be enough to keep them up.

You can see a bit of it here

Fergie talks about it here 0:46

Amazed we never got fined for that. Shades of Dijon

Red00012

A big "f*ck you' to the fans too - clubs should be made to pay back every supporter in that ground.
There was 60 seconds left , both teams needed that result so I’m pretty sure both fans were delighted.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Blackburn 1-1 Man Utd 2011. Neither team had any interest in attacking for the last 10 minutes. Literally nothing happened for the last 10 minutes

The Utd players passed in around in their half, and the Blackburn players stayed in their half. United only needed 1 point to win the league, and Blackburn felt like 1 point was going to be enough to keep them up.

The whole thing is here, played at double speed and set to Benny Hill.

The "You're next, Messi!" banner aged well :nervous: :lol:.

fps

Why should they have to pretend to go hammer and tong for the last few minutes if they’ve all got the result they need? This is crazy.

Irwin99

Does anybody remember our 1:1 game away to Blackburn? A point each sealed our title and them staying up. Nothing of note took place in the last 10 minutes
I'm sure i remember Scholes coming on and just passing it around squarely and running down the clock.

Edit- just seen the video :lol:

This kind of dodgy stuff happens in football, it's not nice but it's understandable in some ways. I don't believe for one moment that Gerrard didn't mean to pass the ball to Drogba in that game vs Chelsea all those years ago. I know it's wrong but if Arsenal are top of the league against us and we have nothing to play for, i'd be quite happy for McTominay to score an own goal or two if it meant denying City or Liverpool. Feck 'em.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
The system is the problem exactly as with the Disgrace of Gijón.

Cloud7

The reaction to this seems a bit overblown, no? Could prosecutors have gotten involved when we did something like this Vs Blackburn?

Withnail

Westerlo and Genk each needed a point to qualify for their respective sections of the wacky playoff system in the Belgian league. After Genk equalise late in the game, both teams stop playing, knock the ball around, and there are players shaking hands and asking for the ref to blow up early while the game is still ongoing.

Every player on the pitch has been fined €1,000, the two captains have been suspended, Westerlo have sacked their manager and prosecutors are getting involved.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/genk-westerlo-belgian-pro-league-32465918

I feel like this kind of thing happens pretty regularly late in the season when a certain result is convenient for both teams... but they just had to take the absolute piss with it for some reason. :lol:
Jesus Christ. You can do an Ireland/Holland from 88 without making it so feckin obvious :lol:

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Not sure why people are bringing up the Blackburn game as a comparison. We played until the final whistle - there's no rule that says you have to go on the attack and try to score.

If these two teams had played on and at least allowed for a pretense of plausible deniability, some fans may be upset but there would be no grounds to punish anyone.

RedRocket9908

That was what led to the change in the rules to the current rule where the final group games are played at the same time.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Might've been Germany.

I also remember something slightly similar in cricket with Somerset declaring in a One Day game after an over or something to preserve net run rate. They were subsequently disqualified from the competition.
There was another similar one in the London 2012 Olympics in the badminton event. You can't have draws of course, but in the women's doubles event there were 2 matches where both teams were trying to lose their final group stage match to try and avoid certain matchups in the next round. They all got booted out of the competition.

The weirdest one ever was in the 1994 Carribbean Cup between Barbados and Grenada. They had no draws in the group stage, golden goal extra time, and the golden goal counting as 2 goals for some eason. Ended up with a situation where Barbados were 2-1 up late on but needed to win by 2. They scored an own goal on purpose to make it 2-2 before scoring once in extra time to win 4-2. :lol:

Last edited:

RedRocket9908

I was suprised how there was no backlash from that and if it wasnt for the fact that Blackburn finished 4 points clear of relegation there might have been.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Americanism is coming to football. There are going to be fake matches soon. WWE.

TheBatman

This used to happen in the group stages of the European Championships and the World Cup. Till the authorises made all the final matches in the group be played simultaneously as teams were colluding to arrange specific results.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Nothing wrong with that

justboy68

QPR against City is still the worst one. Once they knew they were safe they even stopped playing and just let City win the fecking league. Can we all remember how they literally gave the ball right back to them immediately from the kickoff. It was ridiculous.

AfonsoAlves

Is this any different to Evans, Vidic and Rio making 70 passes to each other in the last 10 minutes vs Blackburn to secure the title as the Blackburn players showed 0 interest in closing down or winning the ball?