g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Ben Chilwell to Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Damn this is some window for Chelsea. Might take a bit to gel but once they do they look like a scary team especially if they sign Havertz.

RUCK4444

It’s the Manchester United fee minus the standard surcharge we are hit with (50%)

We would be haggling at double that figure if we were in for him. Thanks to Ed and his Disneyland talk.

RUCK4444

Damn this is some window for Chelsea. Might take a bit to gel but once they do they look like a scary team especially if they sign Havertz.
Is it? I’m not that worried. Maybe I’m well off the scent here but I still think pound for pound we have a more talented starting 11, and that includes Havertz.

I stand to be corrected of course, just my feeling as things stand.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Everyone was raving about Chilwell in the first half of the season when LCFC were flying. Now everyone shits on him and calls him awful even though the entire LCFC team sort of collapsed.

RashyForPM

He doesn’t worry me as I genuinely believe Shaw is better than him. Once they get Havertz and we leak that we’ve walked away from Sancho as he can’t pass though, I’ll be resigned to finishing below them.

In other words, Sancho is a must at whatever fee.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Everyone was raving about Chilwell in the first half of the season when LCFC were flying. Now everyone shits on him and calls him awful even though the entire LCFC team sort of collapsed.
No everyone was not

Ekeke

I'm not being funny but Maguire was an established international footballer, Chilwell has had about two seasons at best in the Premier league starting eleven.
Doesn't mean anything, in neither was he the best left back. Or even close actually

Smores

50 sounds about right to me, we simply overpaid for Maguire so you can't really compare.

Good signing for them unfortunately,
they're really starting to put a solid team together.

Top 4 appears to be pretty clear already.

Cassidy

He doesn’t worry me as I genuinely believe Shaw is better than him. Once they get Havertz and we leak that we’ve walked away from Sancho as he can’t pass though, I’ll be resigned to finishing below them.

In other words, Sancho is a must at whatever fee.
Pretty much this

gorky_utd

Good thing is that they are not getting reguilon. I was seriously worried that chelsea might sign him. Btw, why they didn't sign him as the reported fee was much lower?

SATA

I rate him but I don’t see him really any better than [Irrelevant point]. It’s kind of a luxury signing i feel, but why not if you have the money? Not sure what Alonso did to make Lampard sign a player over him

Cassidy

I rate him but I don’t see him really any better than [Irrelevant point]. It’s kind of a luxury signing i feel, but why not if you have the money? Not sure what Alonso did to make Lampard sign a player over him
Alonsos defending isnt very good

RashyForPM

Good thing is that they are not getting reguilon. I was seriously worried that chelsea might sign him. Btw, why they didn't sign him as the reported fee was much lower?
Good point. Reguilon would have been cheaper and imo is the 3rd best LB in the world after Davies and Robertson. Maybe Chelsea need to fill up the homegrown quota, although one would think that isn’t the case due to them already having Barkley, Mount, Abraham and the like.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Is it? I’m not that worried. Maybe I’m well off the scent here but I still think pound for pound we have a more talented starting 11, and that includes Havertz.

I stand to be corrected of course, just my feeling as things stand.
Come on man I know we are on a United forum but the bias on here over some of the topics is just unreal. They have a better attack and midfield WHEN you consider squad depth. Starting XI, when our front 5 decide to show up, we can match them but one injury and we are screwed. Defense we are better currently and obviously GK we are miles ahead.

Last edited:

Rooney1987

plus a global pandemic that seems to have affected everyone except Chelsea
As mentioned above he’s got 4 years on his deal, do a Dortmund and hold on for a year. You guys are rich enough. Top 4 rivals too.

Or has he regressed? I've read comments he lost his place and injures too. You'll know more about it then I will. In his first year he looked quality but was a quiet second year?

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Simply based on the fact that Chilwell can move about the pitch will mean he's an upgrade on Alonso. Marcos looks like he's running with weights around his feet he's so slow.

To be honest, I'm not all-in on Chilwell yet. Have to see how he gets on. This isn't a signing that I think is a sure thing. Happy we will address the LB position, though.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
As mentioned above he’s got 4 years on his deal, do a Dortmund and hold on for a year. You guys are rich enough. Top 4 rivals too.

Or has he regressed? I've read comments he lost his place and injures too. You'll know more about it then I will. In his first year he looked quality but was a quiet second year?
he's been fine, had a few niggles this season but genrally he has improved defensively, and isn't as bad as people say - he tends to be blamed for things when he can't recover from someone elses mistake, case in point VS Man City when Pep pushed KDB forward and left Chilwell in a position to choose to mark KDB or Mahrez and no one else came to help.

he was missed badly at the end of the season, our fans won't admit how much he is relied on to make the attacking balance of the side work.

apparently we also lowered our price after missing out on CL football but who knows

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Good point. Reguilon would have been cheaper and imo is the 3rd best LB in the world after Davies and Robertson. Maybe Chelsea need to fill up the homegrown quota, although one would think that isn’t the case due to them already having Barkley, Mount, Abraham and the like.
Reguilon the 3rd best left back in the world? Blimey.

Also the issue with him is that Madrid are (understandably) insisting on a buyback clause.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Reguilon may well be cheaper but apparently Real Madrid are insisting on a buy back clause

As for Leicester, there are twitter accounts that follow Independiente in Argentina that say we are signing Tagliafico to replace Chilwell

RashyForPM

Reguilon the 3rd best left back in the world? Blimey.

Also the issue with him is that Madrid are (understandably) insisting on a buyback clause.
Not too sure what the buyback amount is, but if it’s peanuts, then fair play.

However, I really don’t see any LB better than Reguilon aside from the aforementioned 2. World class LBs are in short supply atm. I think he’s better than current Alba, Guerreiro, F. Mendy, Shaw, Chilwell, Sandro, Telles and current Marcelo. Honestly, I don’t even think any of these are that controversial bar Mendy. Alaba is no longer a LB.

Out of interest, who do you think is better than him?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I appreciate this may say more about my own football knowledge, but I had no idea Reguilon even was until Chelsea were linked with him a few weeks ago. Now he's supposedly the 3rd LB in the world?

James Peril

Extremely high chance of him not finding his place in England and buggering off to Spain next year. Chilwell is proper average plus, but at least there’s a high chance he’ll find his feet quickly.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Not too sure what the buyback amount is, but if it’s peanuts, then fair play.

However, I really don’t see any LB better than Reguilon aside from the aforementioned 2. World class LBs are in short supply atm. I think he’s better than current Alba, Guerreiro, F. Mendy, Shaw, Chilwell, Sandro, Telles and current Marcelo. Honestly, I don’t even think any of these are that controversial bar Mendy. Alaba is no longer a LB.

Out of interest, who do you think is better than him?
In no particular order, Davies, Robertson, Theo Hernandez, Telles, Alba, Lodi, Ferland Mendy, Tagliafico, Digne, Chilwell, Alex Sandro, etc. Obviously Reguilon had a better season than some on this list but I'd not put him ahead on that basis alone given his limited first team football overall.

I like Reguilon a lot but no offence, for me it's crazy to say he's the 3rd best LB in the world. It's also important to consider the context of the league - not sure Reguilon would be an ideal fit in the PL. Furthermore, a big part of why we're after Chilwell is his ability in the air - he's the best LB in the PL and among the best in Europe aerially.

RashyForPM

In no particular order, Davies, Robertson, Theo Hernandez, Telles, Alba, Lodi, Ferland Mendy, Tagliafico, Digne, Chilwell, Alex Sandro, etc. Obviously Reguilon had a better season than some on this list but I'd not put him ahead on that basis alone given his limited first team football overall.

I like Reguilon a lot but no offence, for me it's crazy to say he's the 3rd best LB in the world. It's also important to consider the context of the league - not sure Reguilon would be an ideal fit in the PL. Furthermore, a big part of why we're after Chilwell is his ability in the air - he's the best LB in the PL and among the best in Europe aerially.
I don’t think any of those bar the first two are better :lol: Reguilon just looks so powerful.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I don’t think any of those bar the first two are better :lol: Reguilon just looks so powerful.
He's certainly rapid and a very good dribbler, but his decision-making is questionable at times and he gets caught out of position semi-regularly as a result. Fairly mediocre crosser as well, though this could potentially be improved over time. He's also poor in the air and given our issues on set pieces, that's a problem.

I think Reguilon is better at what he's good at than Chilwell is generally (outside of aerial challenges, where Chilwell is genuinely world class for his position), but that the latter is the more well-rounded player and a better fit for Chelsea's needs at the moment. If we were having to pay 80m for Chilwell, I'd fully agree Reguilon would make far more sense. At 50m though and considering a potential buyback, I'd prefer Chilwell of the two personally.

RUCK4444

Come on man I know we are on a United forum but the bias on here over some of the topics is just unreal. They have a better attack and midfield WHEN you consider squad depth. Starting XI, when our front 5 decide to show up, we can match them but one injury and we are screwed. Defense we are better currently and obviously GK we are miles ahead.
So you agree? :)

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Chilwell will be a good signing for them. Huge statement from them this summer though. Ziyech, Werner, Chilwell, Havertz likely soon, discussions for Thiago Silva... must be nice having a board who wants to push seriously for trophies.

Stretender

I'd say its more of a Wan Bissaka level purchase. Nothing special, not bad either with a sprinkle of an English passport.
Wan Bissaka is not bang average. Chillwell is very bang average and will be playing at Burnley in a year's time. I would even say he is worse than Drinkwater and that's not saying much. It seems like Leicester just enjoy clowning Chelsea.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Reguilon may well be cheaper but apparently Real Madrid are insisting on a buy back clause

As for Leicester, there are twitter accounts that follow Independiente in Argentina that say we are signing Tagliafico to replace Chilwell
I think youll go for the Norwich left back to replace Chilwell, Jamal Lewis

Gazza

Two sentences, both wildly inaccurate, well done! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.