Ben Chilwell to Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

mu4c_20le

Where is this 80 million talk coming from? Thought it was 65 million.
Because thats how much Leicester want. They probably wont get it all up front, but won't be surprised if the final amount reaches that much

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Yeah the fee I'm seeing is £65m including add-ons.
The world record is 68m, the same source was saying it was a world record so something is wrong

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I know Chillwell is younger (Though Digne was 25 when we bought him) but that fee is enormous. We managed to get Digne for 18m and he's better than him, it's mad that clubs in the league will continue to spend these huge amounts on PL players when there is just as good or better outside of the league. I know we did the same with Iwobi and we are just as daft!

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
Frank and the club must really, really rate him because there are a number of high quality LB's that could be had for a fraction of the cost. Reguilon, Alex Telles, Tagliafico, maybe Lucas Digne. We could spend £30-40m and sign those guys.
Thing is, we all have watched Chillwell for the better part of 3 seasons now. We know his strengths and weaknesses first hand and I'd assume the same for Frank and co. Can we say the same for all those other names you listed? All I know of Regulion is via YouTube. We bought Emerson around the same time we were heavily linked to Allex Telles and he looked better than Telles, again via YouTube. He is 28 now, same as Tagliafico who again we've seen very little of and fail to impress in our clash with them when the likes of DVB, Ziyech, Promes and Onana stood out.
They are significantly cheaper which tell me more about how much their clubs value their quality. Chillwell will be overpriced sure, but I know what to expect from him and of him.

Cassidy

Thing is, we all have watched Chillwell for the better part of 3 seasons now. We know his strengths and weaknesses first hand and I'd assume the same for Frank and co. Can we say the same for all those other names you listed? All I know of Regulion is via YouTube. We bought Emerson around the same time we were heavily linked to Allex Telles and he looked better than Telles, again via YouTube. He is 28 now, same as Tagliafico who again we've seen very little of and fail to impress in our clash with them when the likes of DVB, Ziyech, Promes and Onana stood out.
They are significantly cheaper which tell me more about how much their clubs value their quality. Chillwell will be overpriced sure, but I know what to expect from him and of him.
Or the fact they are not English playing in the PL

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
yeah the business model in France and Portugal is to sell young stars they produce, they simply don't have the financial firepower of Premier League clubs so prices are cheaper

Cassidy

If a team you don't like is signing someone, you always quote the highest rumoured price, regardless of the source. Redcafe rules.
Most reliable sources (Times) have said it could be a world record fee so above 68m and also said Leicester want 80m. There was one twitter account that said 65m including addons.
Still overpaying either way mind you.

Cassidy

Reported fee is 65m after add-ons. Still overpriced but its no 80m.
Source?
Not saying you are wrong but I don't think any reliable source has reported the fee. Even the source which said 65m also said world record and 65m is certainly not a world record.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I know Chillwell is younger (Though Digne was 25 when we bought him) but that fee is enormous. We managed to get Digne for 18m and he's better than him, it's mad that clubs in the league will continue to spend these huge amounts on PL players when there is just as good or better outside of the league. I know we did the same with Iwobi and we are just as daft!
I'm sure the top PL clubs have signed some sort of stupid contract which says they have to buy players from PL clubs, maybe this year it's Chelsea's turn, last year it was ours.

Giggsy13

Shame on Chelsea, don’t they know it’s Covid and they aren’t supposed to spend money. Cheers to Ed Woodward and the Glazers for having principles, for its having principles that will make us successful again!I

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Shame on Chelsea, don’t they know it’s Covid and they aren’t supposed to spend money. Cheers to Ed Woodward and the Glazers for having principles, for its having principles that will make us successful again!I
The feck are you on about? Are the toys already out of the pram because we don't have a shiny new signing yet?

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Reported fee is 65m after add-ons. Still overpriced but its no 80m.
the reported fee stuff is all coming from your end, right at the start of this John Percy reported we would demand a "Maguire type fee" for Chilwell, and nothing has changed from our end

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
The world record is 68m, the same source was saying it was a world record so something is wrong
For what it's worth, I was lurking on Foxestalk this morning and none of them appear to think that podcast chap or the LCFCHQ twitter account is reliable, so I would take any fees, low or high, bandied about with the proverbial grain of salt.

Last edited:

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Similarly, us getting Tierney for 25m looks like an absolute bargain in comparison to this

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
Or they are just surplus to requirement at clubs looking to sell to bolster other areas. Regulion certainly is at Real. Porto looking to shift a 28yr old before his value goes cold same with Ajax.
For every Digne, there is an Emerson. For every Pereira there is a Zappacosta, Dalot, Darmian, Danilo, Cancelo etc.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Or they are just surplus to requirement at clubs looking to sell to bolster other areas. Regulion certainly is at Real. Porto looking to shift a 28yr old before his value goes cold same with Ajax.
For every Digne, there is an Emerson. For every Pereira there is a Zappacosta, Dalot, Darmian, Danilo, Cancelo etc.
PL clubs are rich thanks to TV money, so they don't sell any player for cheap. Players from La Liga, Portuguese league, French league and other leagues are available at good price as most of the clubs rely on transfer money and won't no say to decent bids.

There are so many flops from PL clubs too.

roseguy64

Ok, but are they acting far more decisively than a so called bigger club does,that’s the point, do things others dream of quickly and improve the club. Sometimes by subtraction rather than extension,the CEO has to be accountable.
The players they've bought so far was one they tried to buy in January but couldn't get the deal done and another who had a reasonable release clause. They've still not signed Havertz despite negotiating for about as much as United have been re: Sancho.

mu4c_20le

For what it's worth, I was lurking on Foxestalk this morning and none of them appear to think that podcast chap or the LCFCHQ twitter is reliable, so I would take any fees, low or high, bandied about with the proverbial grain of salt.
I had a look as well, no insider news there just being deluded as usual about how X player isn't good enough for a replacement

Cassidy

I had a look as well, no insider news there just being deluded as usual about how X player isn't good enough for a replacement
Thomas who they already have looks a decent prospect

Giggsy13

The feck are you on about? Are the toys already out of the pram because we don't have a shiny new signing yet?
If you’re blind or too ignorant to see the difference between a club committed to getting to the top again and ours then no one can help you.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
to be fair the options being talked about are [Irrelevant point], who is a terrible defender and Jamal Lewis
Thomas who they already have looks a decent prospect
he is, but he's not ready for first choice yet

Cassidy

If you’re blind or too ignorant to see the difference between a club committed to getting to the top again and ours then no one can help you.
Spending crazy money on a LB who isnt much better than what they already have? Ambition...

Carl

Yeh so looks like my first post was correct.

Our season hasn't even finished yet pal.

Giggsy13

Yeh so looks like my first post was correct.

Our season hasn't even finished yet pal.
city’s season hasn’t ended yet either but here we are. You got the spin to be on United’s marketing team, I suggest giving Woody a call.

Carl

city’s season hasn’t ended yet either but here we are. You got the spin to be on United’s marketing team, I suggest giving Woody a call.
I'm just saying judge at the end of the window mate. No point getting your knickers in a twist just yet.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Jamal lewis at on his way to leicester apparently. I think this deal may happen.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Jamal lewis at on his way to leicester apparently. I think this deal may happen.
yeah saw that tweet, the gut who posted is it apparently a Leicester fan that used to work at Norwich's media department and is now works at TalkShite, that said I'm not seen much of his other stuff to know how reliable he is

Apokalips

It's so boring seeing fans bleat on about "Thanks Ed" sarcastically any time any other club makes a signing. If we made this exact signing it would be "Oh here we go, Ed getting played like a piano", etc. Constant negativity and desperation to find a stick to beat the club and specifically Ed Woodward with. I watched an interview with a reporter the other day saying how much it seems that nowadays fans are so obsessive over transfers, almost to the degree that it seems as though they care more about the transfer season than the actual football.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
yeah saw that tweet, the gut who posted is it apparently a Leicester fan that used to work at Norwich's media department and is now works at TalkShite, that said I'm not seen much of his other stuff to know how reliable he is
here's the tweet in question

Carl

It's so boring seeing fans bleat on about "Thanks Ed" sarcastically any time any other club makes a signing. If we made this exact signing it would be "Oh here we go, Ed getting played like a piano", etc. Constant negativity and desperation to find a stick to beat the club and specifically Ed Woodward with. I watched an interview with a reporter the other day saying how much it seems that nowadays fans are so obsessive over transfers, almost to the degree that it seems as though they care more about the transfer season than the actual football.
That been the case for years now (re transfer fans) its absolute bizarre. All season long people just bleat on about signing this or that player way more than watching/talking about actual football.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah the fee I'm seeing is £65m including add-ons.
Will be very surprised if we spend £65m on Chilwell, he's got a 4 year contract so we have no leverage and he's worth about £20m tops given his quality and the current financial outlook for football in my view. Generally we don't do that kind of business and especially not in the current situation.

False rumours or being leaked for some other purpose...

Will be very surprised if we spend £65m on Chilwell, he's got a 4 year contract so we have no leverage and he's worth about £20m tops given his quality and the current financial outlook for football in my view. Generally we don't do that kind of business and especially not in the current situation.

False rumours or being leaked for some other purpose...
If you are buying Chilwell, it’s at least £50m. He’s a good age, English full back from a club that doesn’t need to sell and doesn’t need the money.

£20m is laughable.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
That been the case for years now (re transfer fans) its absolute bizarre. All season long people just bleat on about signing this or that player way more than watching/talking about actual football.
Someone described the Sancho saga as boring the other day, as if it existed purely as entertainment. Which it absolutely is to a very odd and sizeable section of the fanbase. They live for this shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.