Ben Chilwell to Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Chilwell is rapid. More than that I can't comment.
Is he? I'm sure I've seen him get burned by wingers quite often. Maybe he's just not that good defensively but quick going forward.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Luckily we don't have a rat in the equation forcing a move 3 days before the window closes this time.
Chelsea tried to get TC to sign a contract extension for the best part of 2 years. At which point did they not realise that he was going to push for his Real transfer. Further, Chelsea even in those circumstances did not need to go out and blow £72m and £170-190k a week for seven years on a funsized GK with t-rex arms. That deal was all on Chelsea, put the blame on TC is a convenient excuse.

pacifictheme

Leicester quoted us 80m for Maguire and stuck to it. Ditto Mahrez.
Its not bargaining position, its what Chelsea have to pay and he is not worth that.
He is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for him.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Chelsea tried to get TC to sign a contract extension for the best part of 2 years. At which point did they not realise that he was going to push for his Real transfer. Further, Chelsea even in those circumstances did not need to go out and blow £72m and £170-190k a week for seven years on a funsized GK with t-rex arms. That deal was all on Chelsea, put the blame on TC is a convenient excuse.
The deal was borne out of Courtois refusing to go back to his employer to train and him effectively going on strike. The situation was 100% brought about through the Rat's opportunism knowing that we couldn't possibly go into a season with our 1st choice goalie on strike. Of course the club could have been more prepared for this outcome but to say it's all on Chelsea is stupid at best and disingenuous at worst.

Ps. Kepa is not on a salary above £150k per week.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If you go off the premise that Chelsea had 100m budget last summer (which they couldn't spend) , the same this summer and add the 100m Hazard fee then it makes perfect sense they are busy in the market.

Got to remember that whilst we were getting Maguire, AWB, James n Bruno they got nobody.

crossy1686

career ending
Watched him a bit this season for Leicester and England, honestly hasn't been better or worse than Shaw. He was great a few seasons ago but looked a bit out of his depth for England, looked scared to get forward at times as well. Not saying he'd be a bad signing, I'm just not sure he's a massive improvement on what they've already got.

RyRoc

Watched Leicester a lot last season and he was very impressive , haven't seem them that much this season but interestingly many of their fans are saying he's coming off the back of a fairly poor campaign which I was surprised about given how highly he seems rated by non Leicester fans.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
The deal was borne out of Courtois refusing to go back to his employer to train and him effectively going on strike. The situation was 100% brought about through the Rat's opportunism knowing that we couldn't possibly go into a season with our 1st choice goalie on strike. Of course the club could have been more prepared for this outcome but to say it's all on Chelsea is stupid at best and disingenuous at worst.

Ps. Kepa is not on a salary above £150k per week.
All reliable sources have Kepa on £10m'ish a year:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.te...ingkepa-arrizabalaga-seven-year-contract/amp/

I disagree. It was abundantly clear TC wasn't signing again and wanted to leave, further he claims he got an agreement to leave in March (although the club dispute this);

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.te...rtois-claims-director-marina-granovskaia/amp/

However, one thing that leads me to believe this to be true was what Fabregas said about the board and how they essentially left Costa and TC out to dry:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro....ecures-europa-league-win-arsenal-9734786/amp/

Further, even if TC did just say 'oh, by the way, I am leaving, cheerio' Chelsea had the best part of two years to plan for his departure, so they should of had some targets lined up that they could go to. In my book, they thought in March 2018 they were getting Alisson so told TC he could go, but Alisson ended up at the Dippers for whatever reason and Chelsea turned around and said to TC he had to stay.

RyRoc

Nowhere close to world close. I really don't see why he's commanding that kind of pri... oh he's English.
Who in your opinion are world class LB's? Not necessarily disagreeing with you but I'd struggle to name 10 LB's better than him - I think it's a bit of a problem position currently in world football hence teams are being quoted these fees for them. Bayern broke their transfer record for a LB last summer.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.te...ingkepa-arrizabalaga-seven-year-contract/amp/

I disagree. It was abundantly clear TC wasn't signing again and wanted to leave, further he claims he got an agreement to leave in March (although the club dispute this);

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.te...rtois-claims-director-marina-granovskaia/amp/

However, one thing that leads me to believe this to be true was what Fabregas said about the board and how they essentially left Costa and TC out to dry:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro....ecures-europa-league-win-arsenal-9734786/amp/

Further, even if TC did just say 'oh, by the way, I am leaving, cheerio' Chelsea had the best part of two years to plan for his departure, so they should of had some targets lined up that they could go to. In my book, they thought in March 2018 they were getting Alisson so told TC he could go, but Alisson ended up at the Dippers for whatever reason and Chelsea turned around and said to TC he had to stay.
You only have speculative reports in the papers about Courtois demanding a move in March (...where he was clearly told no, you're staying) and a vague quote by Fabregas questioning the integrity of the board, having himself been shipped out 4 months earlier due to his physical decline. The only facts of this case that we know is the Rat had one year left on his contract, he refused to go back to train and he subsequently left under a huge cloud. It's not all Chelsea's fault. I appreciate that this thread is on Chillwell and not the Rat so this I'll stop here.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.

Honestly I spent some time thinking when Tom Cleverley played for Chelsea ..

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Nobody is buying Chilwell for 80m. Would be delighted if true but seems heavily overpriced. Leicester will lower demands if Chelsea move away. Everyone needs money at this time.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
You only have speculative reports in the papers about Courtois demanding a move in March (...where he was clearly told no, you're staying) and a vague quote by Fabregas questioning the integrity of the board, having himself been shipped out 4 months earlier due to his physical decline. The only facts of this case that we know is the Rat had one year left on his contract, he refused to go back to train and he subsequently left under a huge cloud. It's not all Chelsea's fault. I appreciate that this thread is on Chillwell and not the Rat so this I'll stop here.
Kepa is the second-highest earner at Chelsea after Kante.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Percy is one of the best journos for clubs in the Midlands.

Bondi77

I think the bad thing for us is that if he goes for north of 80mil the argument will be made that Sancho may be worth north of 100mil and we will simply not pay that amount for him.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

This is nonsense. Prior to the debacle vs Barcelona away in the CL Courtois had expressed interest in staying:

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...shrugs-off-real-madrid-talk-and-plans-to-stay

After that, he even expressed that he'd be willing to play out the last year of his contract then leave on a free:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...r-chelsea-contract-demands-after-golden-glove

"I will be coming back, for sure, and I will see what they want and how they say it " - this was in July of 2018.

If Courtois had picked a position and stuck to it he wouldn't be so scorned by the Chelsea fanbase. The fact is that he changed his mind willy nilly and when he'd finally made it up he forced Chelsea into an untenable position from both a sales and purchasing standpoint. Arguing that he was consistent in wanting to leave is ludicrous - especially because Chelsea were involved in negotiations with Alisson & ultimately were reticent to offer him a bumper salary given the uncertainty surrounding Courtois.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think the bad thing for us is that if he goes for north of 80mil the argument will be made that Sancho may be worth north of 100mil and we will simply not pay that amount for him.
Sancho's contract is running down and Dortmund will be happy to offload him if they receive a acceptable offer. A offer that will be payable over several seasons will be made to Dortmund which I think they will accept.

I don't believe a potential Chilwell deal to Chelsea will have any bearing on Dortmund's valuation of Sancho.

Bondi77

Sancho's contract is running down and Dortmund will be happy to offload him if they receive a acceptable offer. A offer that will be payable over several seasons will be made to Dortmund which I think they will accept.

I don't believe a potential Chilwell deal to Chelsea will have any bearing on Dortmund's valuation of Sancho.
That will be good then.
What makes you think that the money men in Dortmund pay no attention to what fees are paid for players by Premier League clubs when their biggest asset is supposedly targeted by the most famous and one of the richest clubs in that league?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
That will be good then.
What makes you think that the money men in Dortmund pay no attention to what fees are paid for players by Premier League clubs when their biggest asset is supposedly targeted by the most famous and one of the richest clubs in that league?
I don't know anything but according to reliable journos from Germany, Dortmund want around €120m for Sancho. His contract is running down and with each passing window his value will decrease further and it's been reported that Sancho will not extend his contract at Dortmund by a outlet that is followed by Dortmund on Twitter. Dortmund imo aren't in any position to raise the original fee that has been touted by many reporters.

I think Dortmund will get close to the amount they're asking for, but it will be paid over several years in instalments which is why I believe we will sign him.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
There's no way anyone is buying Chilwell for £80m, especially in this economic climate. On the other hand, Tagliafico is available for £22m. No brainer.
He's a good player for Ajax but he's not the quickest so could struggle a bit week in week out in premier league particularly with the demands for fullbacks given what the Liverpool ones do.

I like Chilwell, think he's been good last two years and is starting to establish himself without yet securing the left back spot for England (Rose started a couple of the euro games in September and October and you've got Shaw who could well come back into contention).

I have read though he's been getting stick off Leicester fans which surprised me. @Jimmy Skitz ?

I get the feeling Leicester will cash in like they did with Maguire and try to sign Tierney from Arsenal given all his injuries and Saka's emergence.

Bondi77

I don't know anything but according to reliable journos from Germany, Dortmund want around €120m for Sancho. His contract is running down and with each passing window his value will decrease further and it's been reported that Sancho will not extend his contract at Dortmund by a outlet that is followed by Dortmund on Twitter. Dortmund imo aren't in any position to raise the original fee that has been touted by many reporters.

I think Dortmund will get close to the amount they're asking for, but it will be paid over several years in instalments which is why I believe we will sign him.
It is great to have belief in a lot of things but I would not put it on football transfers as it will constantly be challenged.
These football journos in Germany must only have ears for anything that is Utd because there was nothing regarding Werner and Chelsea til the last minute.
I still find it a hard sell that Utd will pay 100mil for Sancho when they played hardball In coughing up half that amount for Bruno.
Anything can happen in football and we all have our own targets whom we would like to see at our club but in reality it may never happen regardless of how hard we try to convince ourselves it will.

criticalanalysis

That's so accurate :lol:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It is great to have belief in a lot of things but I would not put it on football transfers as it will constantly be challenged.
These football journos in Germany must only have ears for anything that is Utd because there was nothing regarding Werner and Chelsea til the last minute.
I still find it a hard sell that Utd will pay 100mil for Sancho when they played hardball In coughing up half that amount for Bruno.
Anything can happen in football and we all have our own targets whom we would like to see at our club but in reality it may never happen regardless of how hard we try to convince ourselves it will.
United won't be paying for Sancho in one lump sum imo. The money will be paid over several seasons in instalments. this deal is very doable for United even in the current malaise we all find ourselves in.

It was reported that Chelsea was one of the clubs interested in Werner but the player wanted to join Liverpool. Liverpool wouldn't pay up which opened the door for Chelsea to sign him in the last few days. The top Journos in Germany were spot on and their English counterparts corroborated the same.

Things can change very quickly when it comes to a transfer like we saw with Werner.

Wayne's World

Absolute myth of a left back...If he wasn't English not one club in world football never mind English teams would be looking at him

Gets ripped apart against any half decent winger

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He's the best LB in the League, imho. Hopefully he flops there.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
3 things that make the difference between Sancho & Bruno.

1) Age - means 100m investment has so much value on Sancho for longer term.
2) English
3) Sporting needs money at that time, Ed knew this so we played hardball.

Put it simple, United paid 80m on centre back and yet played hardball on Bruno's transfer. Either way, Chilwell cost 85m isn't going to make any difference to Sancho's deal, we already paid 80m on Maguire before. And also even if we don't want to pay 100m plus for Sancho, if Sancho said he wants to leave then by the time he only has 1 year left, he's likely going to signed a new contract with a reasonable release clause like how Bundesliga club placed on their players; Werner & Upamecano for example.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He's the best LB in the League, imho. Hopefully he flops there.
Not sure if you actually just take a guess here. He's been shite recently, lot of Leicester fans been moaning about his performance lately this season. Robertson is better.

Bondi77

United won't be paying for Sancho in one lump sum imo. The money will be paid over several seasons in instalments. this deal is very doable for United even in the current malaise we all find ourselves in.

It was reported that Chelsea was one of the clubs interested in Werner but the player wanted to join Liverpool. Liverpool wouldn't pay up which opened the door for Chelsea to sign him in the last few days. The top Journos in Germany were spot on and their English counterparts corroborated the same.

Things can change very quickly when it comes to a transfer like we saw with Werner.
Seems like any player that is decent always have the usual suspects interested in them so the media cast a wide net in that regard.
To say that Liverpool would not pay the asking price I find a bit strange but we believe what we want to believe.
It was also reported he wants to play for a club that will play Chmps League all the time so while Chelsea are always contenders there is no immediate guarantee there.
Chelsea pay big wages and are based in a very nice area in London and that is why he is going there in my humble opinion.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Not sure if you actually just take a guess here. He's been shite recently, lot of Leicester fans been moaning about his performance lately this season. Robertson is better.
You're right. I just take a guess from watching few games. I've been impressed, though.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Hopefully Leicester stick to their valuation (as we won't pay it).

I don't think he's the top tier of fullback we need, if it's between him and Tagliafico it's a no contest, the latter may be more short term but we have a really promising young left back in Maatsen so could end up being the perfect overlap.

However if he does sign I'll watch the 9-0 on loop while trying to convince myself he's like that every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.