Ben Chilwell to Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I think Chelsea would be sensible to go for Tagliafico, £85m for Chilwell would be bonkers. Then again I thought Maguire for £80m was bonkers (and it still is) but if Chilwell worked out as well for them as Maguire did for us than maybe it's money well spent. He's a bit inconsistent but he's still quite young and could be a very good player if he can iron out his inconsistencies.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’s decent, but I think Chelsea should walk if the price is that high. Other options out there.

Morpheus 7

If Chelsea buy him for near that fee, the market will inflate in the prem. Such an overated player.

romufc

He’s decent, but I think Chelsea should walk if the price is that high. Other options out there.
Like? I am sure the price is just a starting price, with negotiations they could easily bring that down.

UpWithRivers

Leicester are very clever. Sell him for 60 plus and buy Tagliafico for 25 and that would be really shrewd business. Like they replaced Maguire with Soyuncu.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Just seen a tweet saying Leicester might go for Tierney from Arsenal as a replacement. It'd be ridiculously daft of Arsenal to do that. Leicester are a rival to them now.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Other clubs better pray that fee is way off. If it's real, Chelsea are going to feck the market up for everyone.

Tiber

Good to see that the KGB oil money wasn't hurt by the pandemic.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Surprised by this. Chillwell is good but I don’t think he’s that good but then again I also didn’t realise he was still only 23. I thought he was 26/27. Price still seems a bit steep but he would be an upgrade on what they have so far, he’s got 4 years on Tagliafico who actually is 27. He’s English so fits into the squad nicely with what they seem to be wanting to build - a mix of a strong English core with top class internationals - like United.

Also like United with the Maguire deal they are fixing a position that they need to fix.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Honestly he’s also bang average. Ridiculous money too. Shaw is the better player on top form.

Brightonian

Jesus. He's worth half that, maybe. Not sure where they hype comes from with Chilwell. He's efficient and reliable but not great at anything in particular. Both Shaw and Wan Bissaka are better defensively, for example. Chilwell contributes more in an attacking sense, but not that much more. He's score 2 and assisted 3 this entire season. For an aspirational comparison, Hakimi has scored 9 and assisted 10. Those are the sort of numbers an attacking fullback worth £85m should be getting.

I think he just looks the part of a textbook modern fullback: compact, good engine, decent technique, reasonably fast. English, which doesn't hurt. I would actually be fairly happy to see them blow that much money on a player who I wouldn't think twice about if we played them. I'd still put money on Rashford having him on toast, for example.

Paul_Scholes18

It sounds like you're making shit up so you can make a claim about nationality.
It is a simple truth that Brittish players have been very overhyped. It is since Premier league is such a big league globally.
It might have cooled down recently to a degree since the league is so global now. Also that fans are more attacking what they know than giving praise.

TrustInJanuzaj

They aren't messing around. I think they'll be challenging next season.
By signing two okay to decent players for way too much money? Will they feck. People said the same thing about Arsenal last season when everyone rotated third signings and the reality was third worst ever season.

Chelsea’s whole squad is massively underrated, as I said in the Werner thread, who in that team gets into even Utds best 11, maybe a couple of players at most.

Last edited:

Dante

Average bang
It is a simple truth that Brittish players have been very overhyped. It is since Premier league is such a big league globally.
It might have cooled down recently to a degree since the league is so global now. Also that fans are more attacking what they know than giving praise.
Do you have any examples pertaining to Chilwell like you claimed?

Paul_Scholes18

Do you have any examples pertaining to Chilwell like you claimed?
You can probably look in the Chilwell thread here and see hype if you want. You can read england reviews and find hype too. I guess it is hype for many other players too after big wins in the qualifiers.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Like? I am sure the price is just a starting price, with negotiations they could easily bring that down.
Just like that was a starting price for Maguire? Leicester pretty much stuck to their guns with that on us. And it kind of made sense for us to go all out — we really needed a CB and a leader at the back. Do Chelsea really need Chilwell that badly?

Obligatory *I’m no scout*, but players in some of the other European leagues who have a bit more experience at CL level are there — Tagliafico, Alex Telles, Grimaldo etc.

Within the league there is Jamal Lewis at Norwich who looks a decent offensive prospect. Could definitely be bought for less, as Norwich drop down. Ruben Vinagre is another at Wolves.

Nickelodeon

Why are they hell bent on screwing up what seems like impressive transfer acumen?

Chilwell = Werner + Ziyech (approximately)

There are many many alternatives of similar or better quality available for half the price.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

Just like that was a starting price for Maguire? Leicester pretty much stuck to their guns with that on us. And it kind of made sense for us to go all out — we really needed a CB and a leader at the back. Do Chelsea really need Chilwell that badly?

Obligatory *I’m no scout*, but players in some of the other European leagues who have a bit more experience at CL level are there — Tagliafico, Alex Telles, Grimaldo etc.

Within the league there is Jamal Lewis at Norwich who looks a decent offensive prospect. Could definitely be bought for less, as Norwich drop down. Ruben Vinagre is another at Wolves.
I genuinely doubt Chelsea will throw £85m at Chilwell. There has been heavy links with Telles (who looks like he'll end up at PSG) and Tagliafico who is better and about £60m cheaper. I can understand just pulling the trigger through gritted teeth and massively overpaying if there was a chance to sign someone like Sancho or Dybala, as an example, but Chilwell?

I would welcome him, as I think he is a very good player, but it would be an outrageous decision at that price.

Last edited:

romufc

The market conditions will be different. I agree with us, we needed a new CB and the points you mentioned.

it seems Chelsea under Lampard have similar transfer strategy to us in that they want to buy younger players. Tagliafico and Telles are 27.

I doubt anyone will buy him for £85m anyway.

RedDevilRoshi

Not surprised one bit with that quoted fee. Remember how much money Leicester wanted for Maguire last summer? They will do the same this year for Chilwell

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Werner worries me because he is a top player who immediately makes them better.

I think Chilwell is just ok, and I can’t say I would be anxious if they spend massively on him.

I had heard about Tierney links last few weeks so I assume this has been rumbling on for a while.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Just seen a tweet saying Leicester might go for Tierney from Arsenal as a replacement. It'd be ridiculously daft of Arsenal to do that. Leicester are a rival to them now.
Arsenal are skint and Tierney hasn’t done anything of note anyway.

wythyred

I think he’s definitely worth it.. he’s the best lb in the league outside of Robertson.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Reece james and Ben chilwell as fullbacks sounds very good.

Who gives fcuk about money, they aren't boris Johnson.

Good Job.

Wonder if Max Aaron's is a Spurs signing or an arsenal signing.

cyberman

I'm not sure you understand how football transfers work.
Leicester quoted us 80m for Maguire and stuck to it. Ditto Mahrez.
Its not bargaining position, its what Chelsea have to pay and he is not worth that.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'd rather have Alonso tbh, he's certainly better attacking and not that worse off defensively

Woodzy

Too much money, but they aren't messing around.

They do this every couple of windows. They'll have one or two average ones and then out of nowhere they will transform their squad before the summer has even began.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Chilwell is rapid. More than that I can't comment.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
A silly amount for a full back. Very good player but not 80m.

3 top transfers for Chelsea, would be worrying of Tomori and Reece James really take off on top.

TrustInJanuzaj

Shaw is better defensively.
I think he’s a far better passer as well. Chilwell only really beats him on crossing for me and probably overall fitness levels. Shaw is a for more classy player.

TrustInJanuzaj

I'd rather have Alonso tbh, he's certainly better attacking and not that worse off defensively
I’m not sure about that. Alonso is miles better in attack but he’s a liability in decide. Chilwell is much more rounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.