Ben White | Arsenal

Kaos

I didn't watch the game, but did frequent the Arsenal mania forum, where many Gooners said he got dominated aerially. Not a good start but its still early days for him, and It seems he needs a more commanding figure next to him.
So Arteta essentially needs to bid another £50million for Ben Mee.

Abraxas

It's a tough ask for him.

Massive price tag which people will obsess on as they did with Maguire, coming into an unsettled, unconfident side with no leaders on the pitch.

He is actually the man they'll be looking to step into leading the defence and he's got to do this in a side expected to push towards Europe when all his previous experience was playing second fiddle in a relegation candidate on the right of a three.

All that said, he has to do better in some of those individual moments. He seems to have a weakness against nimble players or the physical types. Well, that's a lot of players. Lindelof-esque at times.

Robbie Boy

It seems so obvious but Dunk is still such an underrated player. He is what Arsenal need more
Dunk is highly enough rated from what I can see. Chelsea were heavily linked with him last summer, and at one point I thought it was going to happen. White just never looked particularly good any time I watched him last season, and he's clearly inferior to Lindelof imo. I'm still shocked that Arsenal shelled out 50m quid for him.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
It's a tough ask for him.

Massive price tag which people will obsess on as they did with Maguire, coming into an unsettled, unconfident side with no leaders on the pitch.

He is actually the man they'll be looking to step into leading the defence and he's got to do this in a side expected to push towards Europe when all his previous experience was playing second fiddle in a relegation candidate on the right of a three.

All that said, he has to do better in some of those individual moments. He seems to have a weakness against nimble players or the physical types. Well, that's a lot of players. Lindelof-esque at times.
Yeah. The price tag and the expectation are huge and he looks horribly exposed in a back two in a weak, rudderless team.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Nah, still not writing any player off after a game. It’s been a rotten debut but wouldn’t be the first time and it can be turned around.

I’m just giving benefit of the doubt I hate when folks write Utd players off early doors so it should be the same no matter who
I agree with you.

But it was a torrid debut!

edcunited1878

Damn, this guy is 24 in two months. Just getting into his theoretical prime, but he's ways off the pace.

24 is still young, but he'll need another couple of years to truly settle and see how he improves/matures. Not sure about his character either, but today was a bad day for him. Don't have any sympathy for him however because he's a big transfer for any CB to any club. Can't hide, but Pepe has managed to do that exceptionally well.

Bwuk

He’s a decent young CB but 50m is mental.

He’s nowhere near ready to lead Arsenal. They’d of been better keeping Luiz.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Dunk is highly enough rated from what I can see. Chelsea were heavily linked with him last summer, and at one point I thought it was going to happen. White just never looked particularly good any time I watched him last season, and he's clearly inferior to Lindelof imo. I'm still shocked that Arsenal shelled out 50m quid for him.
His reputation seemed to soar dramatically when he got put into the England squad of 26 after the season was over. People started to make up a lot of stuff then. I agree that I didn't see anything of note to get excited about. I'd have rated the likes of Konsa or Gosling better based on last season.

Brightonian

He'll be much better for them this season than he looked today. He's a decent young prospect. Not someone any club higher up the table than Arsenal should have been looking at but he'll probably end up better than most of their sorry stable of CBs.

Price-wise, the problem is that they paid extra for a player who's promising in two different positions. But he's only going to be able to play in one at a time.

The other problem is that they don't need a promising, versatile, ball-playing youngster like White. They need a proven serious CB, so they should have gone for Dunk, as others have said above.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
It doesn't get any easier next game as he'll be playing against Lukaku. A few more games of similar performance and he'll completely lose all belief and confidence and then it is a long way back.

United in sin

The Sean Longstaff of center backs! Can't believe Arsenal actually bought into the hype. Did Tony Adams recommend him?

SAFMUTD

Was totally dominated by Toney, I can only imagine how nasty Lukaku going to do him next week.

PoTMS

It's like watching Lindelof play. No point in being fancy on the ball if you're weak as piss.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
It's like watching Lindelof play. No point in being fancy on the ball if you're weak as piss.
Good comparison, as part of 3at the back okay, but in flat 4 defence, you really need to be able to head the ball and proactively win tackles. EPL is no fun

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Too early to judge but he's the sort of signing a club that finished third or fourth take a punt on at around 15/20M to make up the numbers. Not your main 50M signing when the whole world can see you can't score to save your life.

ROFLUTION

Too early to judge but he's the sort of signing a club that finished third or fourth take a punt on at around 15/20M to make up the numbers. Not your main 50M signing when the whole world can see you can't score to save your life.
Sounds about right. For me it's 50m for Phil Jones sort of capabilities (seen him a lot at Brighton), which is quite wild.

criticalanalysis

100%

Lindelof isn’t dominant in the air but I don’t think you’ll ever see him losing as high a % of challenges on the ground as White did tonight.
Lindelof doesn't challenge that much on the ground though as he prefers to shepherds attacking players 10-15 yards into his own half waiting for AWB, Maguire and McFred to all drop.

I didn't watch the Arsenal game but if Lindelof had to be more involved and wasn't so well protected, I don't think his defending would translate as 'well'. For all the good defensive work he did in the Euros, it was a back 5 with the whole Sweden team ceding possession.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Seems a similar level to Lindelof for a similar price (inflation-adjusted). I’d be happy to have him as an Arsenal fan but yeah he’s an incredibly underwhelming marquee signing.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Lindelof doesn't challenge that much on the ground though as he prefers to shepherds attacking players 10-15 yards into his own half waiting for AWB, Maguire and McFred to all drop.

I didn't watch the Arsenal game but if Lindelof had to be more involved and wasn't so well protected, I don't think his defending would translate as 'well'. For all the good defensive work he did in the Euros, it was a back 5 with the whole Sweden team ceding possession.
As someone else posted, he won 64 and lost 37 which is higher than Ben white. He is no Vidic but he actually doesn't lose that many headers as people think he does. He isnt a attacking CB but that's not always a bad thing.

OverratedOpinion

I said this the day they signed him, I said the day he first got called up to the England squad and I will say it today. I think he is a below average Premier League centre half and will be the worst signing of the season.

I don't take any joy in saying it about a young player but I watch a decent amount of Brighton and think he is not very good at all.