Benitez to Chelsea Discussion & Sack watch

Mystry

Friendship is magic
Chelsea next season isn't Rafa's concern at. More so than Di Matteo last season, he has every reason to go for the cups and ignore the league. That's the downfall of hiring manager on an interim basis who is in it purely for his own gain.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Chelsea next season isn't Rafa's concern at. More so than Di Matteo last season, he has every reason to go for the cups and ignore the league. That's the downfall of hiring manager on an interim basis who is in it purely for his own gain.
But then again if you were going to be hired on an interim basis wouldn't you just say "feck it, I'll do what I want they're going to get rid of me anyway."

Mystry

Friendship is magic
But then again if you were going to be hired on an interim basis wouldn't you just say "feck it, I'll do what I want they're going to get rid of me anyway."
Aye. There is probably a few instances where that wouldn't be the case. Didn't Hiddink come in as a favour to Abramovich, in which he wouldn't leave the club without CL football for the sake of a cup. Same would be for any manager with some sort of connection to the club.

Chelsea might have been better off leaving open the option of him staying on after the season even if they had no plans to keep him whatsoever, though with the way the fans have reacted to him it might not have made any difference anyway.

TheRisingSun

Banned
Aye. There is probably a few instances where that wouldn't be the case. Didn't Hiddink come in as a favour to Abramovich, in which he wouldn't leave the club without CL football for the sake of a cup. Same would be for any manager with some sort of connection to the club.

Chelsea might have been better off leaving open the option of him staying on after the season even if they had no plans to keep him whatsoever, though with the way the fans have reacted to him it might not have made any difference anyway.
No, that would have been a terrible idea. The notion that he might stay on beyond this season was the catalyst for an awful lot of the abuse directed towards him.