Benjamin Mendy - Football player

Probably his level going by his pre-court case form.

Bertie Wooster

Good for Mendy. So much for the idea he'd struggle to find a club. That took days.
I imagine some of the ideas he might struggle to find a club were either about finding a club similar to the level he'd been at before - which he hasn't, he's dropped down to a small, mid table French club. And about the possible tabloid / social media reaction if he signed for a club in Britain or a big European club. I guess a move to a mid table French team like Lorient is a comparatively low key return to the game.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I imagine some of the ideas he might struggle to find a club were either about finding a club similar to the level he'd been at before - which he hasn't, he's dropped down to a small, mid table French club. And about the possible tabloid / social media reaction if he signed for a club in Britain or a big European club. I guess a move to a mid table French team like Lorient is a comparatively low key return to the game.
If he has a good season with them I can see him moving to a bigger club next summer. He just turned 29 so he's still potentially got at least a few years left at the top level.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
What is his recourse now?.

A tarnished reputation, tatters of his career, millions on legal bills, millions lost in earnings and a reduction of his future earnings. Who's going to compensate him for the pack of lies?. Doubt the accuser will be able to.

But in the girl's defence, did she have the same level of legal recourse as the millionaire footballer?.

Rape cases are notoriously hard to prove in court and statistics prove this. This case is a reason why anonymity is needed for *some* high profile criminal cases.

But our govt is soft on law and the public defences are criminally underpaid. Absolutely awful pay for some lawyers to take public cases to the point it's more than just goodwill gesture and are hugely out of pocket because of taking a public case.
Sue everyone

Bertie Wooster

If he has a good season with them I can see him moving to a bigger club next summer. He just turned 29 so he's still potentially got at least a few years left at the top level.
True.

If, like you say, he has a good season there, and proves he can still perform to a good level, then I can certainly see bigger clubs than Lorient looking at him. And it would be less of a PR gamble once he's already been back playing for a year.

Revan

Assumptionman
That's not what the stats say. They say a small amount of accusations are proven false. But we know a small amount of accusations are proven true. That leaves us with the vast majority of accusations remaining in the unknown bucket.
Amen.

It is kinda crazy the today's pop science that is mentioned as some authority. The 'research' (deliberately put in quotes by me) is actually a low-impact journal paper by some authors in 2010. The four authors got a hundred something cases done in some university, read the reports, chat a bit with the police, and decided to score each case as 'false report', 'case did not proceed', 'case proceeded', and 'insufficient information'. I repeat myself: they decided to score every one of those cases. Them, the researchers, made up statistics to prove whatever they wanted in their thesis.

The universally reported 2-10% is essentially what these 4 authors decided to score as 'false report'. If there ever was a study that made statistics out of authors arse, it was this study. Yet somehow this is mentioned as the ultimate authority on what is the percentage of false allegations.

Anyone does not believe me? Here is the mentioned paper: https://web.archive.org/web/2018010...gov/conference/handouts/False-Allegations.pdf Pages 11-13 describe the results and methodology.

The truth is (and I hate this expression): we have no fecking idea on the percentage of false allegations. Proving a false allegations is as hard as proving a rape. It could be 5% or 10% or 50% or 1% and we really do not know even the ballpark of the number.

VanKenny

No. But you don't assume they're lying either. You're just stuck with a big messy situation unfortunately. Or if you want to go based on the statistics that show the vast majority of rape accusations are true, but still not convicted? At the end of the day it is someone's word (or in this case, multiple people's) against somebody elses.

Instead of calling him a rapist, you can say he's been accused of rape in the past. Instead of calling potential rape victims liars, you can say they've made rape accusations in the past. Because that's the best anyone can do in this situation without lying/taking sides without knowing anything/insulting potential victims/fully exonerating potential rapists.
Thats extremely disingenuos though, being a rapist and being officially accused of rape are pretty much the same thing. A more honest, good faithed way of saying it following your already flawed logic would be to say "hes been accused of rape in the past but found not guilty". Thats completely different.

Still unecessary and you are just bringing hurtful damaging toxic drama to a person IMO. Im more of the mentality that since he was found not guilty, bury that situation 6 feet under and simply dont bring it up again out of context, let that person move on with their life.