Benjamin Mendy - Football player

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Innocent of everything. Without a club. What could he even do career wise now? Innocent in the eyes of the law, but surely no European club is going to touch him
Of course they will. There’s no morals in football. You’ll see that with MGs career.

paulscholes18

Going to be difficult for him finding a decent club having not played in 2 years.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Call me weird but I like to think a society should give 2nd chances to people, especially those who weren't even found guilty of something.

VARsenal

Supports
Arsenal
So what was the whole situation with him about? Was it dozens of women lying about rape or did they just have no evidence of rape for any of these cases?

Oranges038

Call me weird but I like to think a society should give 2nd chances to people, especially those who weren't even found guilty of something.
Nah, that's just mental.

It's all about what the court of the internet thinks.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Personally i am not for giving 2nd chance to people who do disgusting crimes. Rapists and murderers should be jailed for life. Even sick bastards who brutally beat someone.
But in this case it is not 2nd chance if he is innocent, isn't it? I noticed that society doesn't work in terms "innocent until found guilty". If you are charged for something, you are gulity in eyes of people even before trial. Especially in these disgusting crimes.
2 juries said that he is innocent but he will be marked as rapist for the rest of his life.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
What is his recourse now?.

A tarnished reputation, tatters of his career, millions on legal bills, millions lost in earnings and a reduction of his future earnings. Who's going to compensate him for the pack of lies?. Doubt the accuser will be able to.

But in the girl's defence, did she have the same level of legal recourse as the millionaire footballer?.

Rape cases are notoriously hard to prove in court and statistics prove this. This case is a reason why anonymity is needed for *some* high profile criminal cases.

But our govt is soft on law and the public defences are criminally underpaid. Absolutely awful pay for some lawyers to take public cases to the point it's more than just goodwill gesture and are hugely out of pocket because of taking a public case.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
So what was the whole situation with him about? Was it dozens of women lying about rape or did they just have no evidence of rape for any of these cases?
Rape cases are incredibly hard to convict criminally. Especially against celebrities who have far more resources. Nobody should assume they were lying IMO.

Bole Top

it's funny how in todays internet, where everyone pretend they're offended by anything and find racism and hate speech pretty much everywhere - almost nobody see a big deal in treating an innocent man as a proven rapist.

as far as the society is concerned, he's innocent and that's the way he should be treated. implying that he isn't should be treated the same way we treat racist remarks imo. otherwise, what's the point of court?

VARsenal

Supports
Arsenal
Rape cases are incredibly hard to convict criminally. Especially against celebrities who have far more resources. Nobody should assume they were lying IMO.
Surely of all the 10 or something charges there would be some sort of legitimate evidence? I read there were seven women involved. How did none of them have any convincing evidence for even 1 conviction? Robinho got convicted so it's not always the case that rich people (or footballers in this case) get off simply because they've got money.

bosnian_red

Surely of all the 10 or something charges there would be some sort of legitimate evidence? I read there were seven women involved. How did none of them have any convincing evidence for even 1 conviction? Robinho got convicted so it's not always the case that rich people (or footballers in this case) get off simply because they've got money.
I mean if you don't have video evidence of incident or instant police filings showing the bruising then you pretty much have no chance to convict beyond doubt. Even with a lot of women. An example is they could have been slipped something that they didn't intend to take, and maybe they originally thought it was weird but put it down to just getting very drunk, and then later thinking about it and thinking they may have been in fact date raped. It's a huge grey area of things that could (and often do) happen.

Bwuk

So we’ve to assume he’s guilty then? Despite the jury saying otherwise?

Tarrou

he'll definitely get another european club if he wants that

maybe back to France?

or make up for lost earnings in Saudi

bosnian_red

So we’ve to assume he’s guilty then? Despite the jury saying otherwise?
No. But you don't assume they're lying either. You're just stuck with a big messy situation unfortunately. Or if you want to go based on the statistics that show the vast majority of rape accusations are true, but still not convicted? At the end of the day it is someone's word (or in this case, multiple people's) against somebody elses.

Instead of calling him a rapist, you can say he's been accused of rape in the past. Instead of calling potential rape victims liars, you can say they've made rape accusations in the past. Because that's the best anyone can do in this situation without lying/taking sides without knowing anything/insulting potential victims/fully exonerating potential rapists.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
The new details that were published in the Guardian add some important context and give the impression that the whole thing was a setup.

Bwuk

No. But you don't assume they're lying either. You're just stuck with a big messy situation unfortunately. Or if you want to go based on the statistics that show the vast majority of rape accusations are true, but still not convicted? At the end of the day it is someone's word (or in this case, multiple people's) against somebody elses.

Instead of calling him a rapist, you can say he's been accused of rape in the past. Instead of calling potential rape victims liars, you can say they've made rape accusations in the past. Because that's the best anyone can do in this situation without lying/taking sides without knowing anything/insulting potential victims/fully exonerating potential rapists.
Same thing in the eyes of the public.

imagine applying for a job, don’t worry I’m not a rapist I’ve just been accused in the past.

glasgow 21

Same thing in the eyes of the public.

imagine applying for a job, don’t worry I’m not a rapist I’ve just been accused in the past.
Enough of this already. We took Ronaldo back, played him as did Real Madrid with his past. This debate is going absolutely nowhere. Other than moving another step closer to the Stasi.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
The reaction to Mendy getting back to playing and what it will be when Greenwood does are going up be poles apart.

TsuWave

A lot of outraged people on the quote tweets of that Fabrizio tweet. I mean, if you're found "not guilty", you should be able to find a job.

Lorient is a major drop off from Manchester City - so it's weird to see people acting as if his career has not been "ruined", or at the very least altered

Carl

Yeah but difference with Greenwood is the publicity of the evidence, it is much less grey that Greenwood is a scumbag.
Would love to get into why I disagree, but we're not allowed.

Oranges038

Good for him.

He wasn't convicted so should be allowed to move on and continue his career.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Of course it is.
One was found not guilty by two juries of his peers. The other had his case dropped after breaking conditions of his bail to contact the victim. There’s also audio evidence of Greenwood committing the alleged crime in
the public domain.

It’s pretty clear why one would draw more outrage than the other, no?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

That's not what the stats say. They say a small amount of accusations are proven false. But we know a small amount of accusations are proven true. That leaves us with the vast majority of accusations remaining in the unknown bucket.

Carl

One was found not guilty by two juries of his peers. The other had his case dropped after breaking conditions of his bail to contact the victim. There’s also audio evidence of Greenwood committing the alleged crime in
the public domain.

It’s pretty clear why one would draw more outrage than the other, no?