Benjamin Sesko | Despite Raees best efforts he’s joining Liepzig. Damn you Raees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Sure but how good do you need a 3rd choice to be? It’s an option you take when your first two choices are out.

We’ll see today if he uses Van De Beek or Bruno as a striker as well. ETH used Tadic through the middle at times and made it work so he’s not against adapting players when needed.
Bruno looks to be starting as a false nine.

Mr Smith

Wouldn’t it make sense to get a winger and then just use Rashford through the middle if Martial and Ronaldo out? It’s not like we’d need a 3rd striker option too often while we are crying out for a winger.
What makes you say we are crying out for a winger? We have Sancho, Rashford, Amad, and Elanga, and Eriksen can also play out wide. I'll grant you it could be stronger, but hardly our highest priority. I'd rather get a striker in case Ronaldo does end up leaving/throws a strop and we need to bench him.

Godfather

Or actual planning. They get in a 10 goal striker to supplement depth and then bring in Sesko fresh off another season of experience next year. Let’s stop moaning about everything. We kick off soon, be excited.
I find that mindset so odd. Calling out the club for once again going for the cheap stop gap solutions is moaning now? I find the naive support this club gets for its weird decision every summer much stranger.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
And that's fine. But you can't tell me going for a 33 year old is some kind of master plan from the club
I didn't say it was a master plan mate. I think it's a logical thing if we sign Sesko and he agrees to join next season. If not I'm not in favor of the move.

There is such a lack of good strikers in the market now it makes sense not to panic buy someone just for the sake of it and get a shorter-term option for this season.

You don't have to agree it's just my opinion and I also respect yours or anyone else who disagrees.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
Leipzig is signing Werner so there goes their interest and it’s stupid for him to join them as he won’t play ahead of Timo or Nkunku most times

sparx99

What makes you say we are crying out for a winger? We have Sancho, Rashford, Amad, and Elanga, and Eriksen can also play out wide. I'll grant you it could be stronger, but hardly our highest priority. I'd rather get a striker in case Ronaldo does end up leaving/throws a strop and we need to bench him.
I just don’t think Amad or Elanga are ready for PL football. They both need full seasons out on loan. Who knows whether Rashford can get back to the level previously seen because that form is starting to look a long time ago. You need someone to come in and replace Greenwood effectively. It’s why the interest in Antony makes sense.

I’d only really expect us to sign a striker if Ronaldo or Martial was leaving. Teams who play one up front rarely have more than two strikers in their squad.

Chief123

So let me get this straight. Dortmund bought a striker, that striker got injured, they found a pressing need to get another, and replaced him, all within one transfer window.

Remind me again, how long we've had a pressing need to improve on our centre midfielders?
But buying players at Dortmund is a lot less risk and pressure than buying a player for Man Utd. At Dortmund, we only ever hear of the success stories. We never hear of the failures. Success or failure, they’ll most likely always still get top 4.

Its not an excuse for our transfer window, but just saying it’s totally different dynamic to buying at Dortmund.

Bogga

Werner to Leipzig would probably count them out... But seriously increase Chelseas interest

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
So we're having 8m bids rejected for Arnautovic, yet we've got 50m+ for Sesko? Pie in the sky.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Oooooor Arnautovic rumors are just rumors. Or we have agreed to sign Sesko and let him stay at Salzburg for the season while Arnatovic is an experienced stop gap. Many ways to view things.
I think this makes a lot of sense to me. Sign a experienced stop gap and buy Sesko and leave him on loan for a season.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I think this makes a lot of sense to me. Sign a experienced stop gap and buy Sesko and leave him on loan for a season.
It makes zero sense for Manchester a United to be signing a 33 year old that wasn’t even anywhere near good enough ten years ago.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It makes zero sense for Manchester a United to be signing a 33 year old that wasn’t even anywhere near good enough ten years ago.
It also makes zero sense for Man United to spend big on a striker when Ronaldo is still at the club. So yes, a back up to Ronaldo and Martial would be the way to go.

saik

Let Martial compete with Rashford on the left wing. Rashford needs a kick up his ass anyways with how terribly he's been playing. And get this guy in and rotate with Ronaldo if he's staying. Surely he can accept being rotational striker for this season.

Chief123

If we do get him, the Arnautovic links make it look like we’ll be loaning him back to RBS.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
It also makes zero sense for Man United to spend big on a striker when Ronaldo is still at the club. So yes, a back up to Ronaldo and Martial would be the way to go.
Let’s get rid of our deadwood by signing more dead wood. This will be a horrendous transfer.

spiriticon

I don't know who this guy is, or how good he is supposed to be, but we should throw 100M at Salzburg if it means Arnautovic does not join United.

saik

If we do get him, the Arnautovic links make it look like we’ll be loaning him back to RBS.

Still don't want us to be wasting any money on Arnautovic. Especially not on a 3 year deal. Feck that.

Chief123

Still don't want us to be wasting any money on Arnautovic. Especially not on a 3 year deal. Feck that.
It’s like we can’t operate as a club unless we have a striker on a pensioners bus pass. wtf.

Zlatan, Cavani, Ronaldo, Arnautovic, Igahlo, Falcao. We really need to bin off these short term solutions.

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Let’s get rid of our deadwood by signing more dead wood. This will be a horrendous transfer.
I have absolutely no issue with signing a back up forward with physicality along with the highly rated Benjamin Sesko, who would be the striker for the mid to long-term and has big potential.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I have absolutely no issue with signing a back up forward with physicality along with the highly rated Benjamin Sesko, who would be the striker for the mid to long-term and has big potential.
I think what people have an issue with is the particular scenario in which that backup forward is Arnautovic on a 3 year deal.

The idea - as such - is probably much less controversial.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think what people have an issue with is the particular scenario in which that backup forward is Arnautovic on a 3 year deal.

The idea - as such - is probably much less controversial.
I understand the frustration mate.

But if we do sign Arnautovic on a short term deal as back up, and proceed to sign the highly rated Sesko for the mid to long-term, then I see positives in that. Arnautovic might not be the best option available but his physical presence will give us a plan B off the bench, where the direct approach will become a viable option. We need a striker with a physical presence imo to become a more unpredictable team.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
But if we do sign Arnautovic on a short term deal as back up, and proceed to sign the highly rated Sesko for the mid to long-term, then I see positives in that. Arnautovic might not be the best option available but his physical presence will give us a plan B off the bench, where the direct approach will become a viable option. We need a striker with a physical presence imo to become a more unpredictable team.
There's nothing horribly wrong with that logic.

But Arnautovic makes it a non-starter for many United fans - and rightly so, in my opinion.

Him being an unpalatable character is one thing (and bad enough - the club should know this, they should know it's a PR problem if nothing else) - but it's also the fact that we, as a club, seemingly lack the nous and/or imagination to dig up anyone beyond a mediocre and controversial player who happens to have worked with ten Hag in the past.

(And who - predictably - seems to be after a long-term contract to make matters even worse.)

That just isn't good enough - it's very, very worrying, in fact.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I wasn't aware about him being a unpalatable character as you put it. I've just educated myself on the controversy in question which he was involved in. So I agree, we should stay away from such a personality.

the_cliff

Don't believe the Sesko to RB Leipzig links.

He has more of a chance starting here...

Leonzo1

It’s like we can’t operate as a club unless we have a striker on a pensioners bus pass. wtf.

Zlatan, Cavani, Ronaldo, Arnautovic. We really need to bin off these short term solutions.
You forgot the best ones in Falcao and Ighalo.

Status
Not open for further replies.