Berbatov | Fulham player

Amir

Makes sense to keep him and then sell him in the summer IF he's no longer in Fergie's plans.
But in the summer he'll be able to go on a free. So he won't actually be sold, unless we extend that deal and then sell him.

My thinking is that if he's not in Fergie's plans he'll be let go in the summer for nothing. If you extend his contract he may insist on staying, or for whatever reason we won't be able to sell him, just like happened with Gibson or PIG.

Bryan_Munich

Aka RichieRich12
But in the summer he'll be able to go on a free. So he won't actually be sold, unless we extend that deal and then sell him.

My thinking is that if he's not in Fergie's plans he'll be let go in the summer for nothing. If you extend his contract he may insist on staying, or for whatever reason we won't be able to sell him, just like happened with Gibson or PIG.
That's what I meant.

I'm always right

What is "The United Way" ?
Do I need to explain that to you?

United have always been very good with loyal players, the likes of JOS, Wes Brown, Nicky Butt, Phil Neville etc etc, have all been allowed to leave for less than their worth. The club has never been the type to try and squeeze every last penny out of an "unwanted" player.

If Berba is "unwanted" by us and he fancies the romance of a return to Leverkusen, SAF and the club would not extend his contract and possibly price him out of that move... it's not the "United way".

Bryan_Munich

Aka RichieRich12
Doesn't sound like the United way for me, to sign a player on an extra year just to sell him.
I can't see us selling him in January on the basis that he will be difficult to replace with someone of equal or better quality without paying silly money.

What do we think his value will be in the summer?

I'm always right

I can't see us selling him in January on the basis that he will be difficult to replace with someone of equal or better quality without paying silly money.
Agreed.

What do we think his value will be in the summer?
If he is "unwanted"? zero.

If he is "wanted", then he won't be going anywhere, because no-one would pay the money it would take to pry away a player that SAF still wants.

kietotheworld

Do I need to explain that to you?

United have always been very good with loyal players, the likes of JOS, Wes Brown, Nicky Butt, Phil Neville etc etc, have all been allowed to leave for less than their worth. The club has never been the type to try and squeeze every last penny out of an "unwanted" player.

If Berba is "unwanted" by us and he fancies the romance of a return to Leverkusen, SAF and the club would not extend his contract and possibly price him out of that move... it's not the "United way".
I don't really buy that. Brown was massively out of favour, supposedly due to a dispute with Ferguson, and any discount in the sales of O'Shea, Butt and Neville were probably more due to their wages than any altruism. You look at the sales of Richardson and Smith, where clearly we got as much as possible and it'd tend to offset that.

If we can make £10m off signing Berbatov up to another year we're certainly not going to turn down that chance in order to be kind to Berbatov. Pissing £10m down the drain isn't loyalty, it's stupidity.

Commadus

I think SAF would like Berba around but is mindful of the costs. We have invested over £50m in wages and transfer fee in Berbatov and is probably a bit circumspect in keeping him.on on a high salary if he isn't playing often.

I'm always right

I don't really buy that. Brown was massively out of favour, supposedly due to a dispute with Ferguson, and any discount in the sales of O'Shea, Butt and Neville were probably more due to their wages than any altruism. You look at the sales of Richardson and Smith, where clearly we got as much as possible and it'd tend to offset that.

If we can make £10m off signing Berbatov up to another year we're certainly not going to turn down that chance in order to be kind to Berbatov. Pissing £10m down the drain isn't loyalty, it's stupidity.
I guess we'll see.

Personally I think there's zero chance of us extending Berba's contract in say March, and selling him in July.

I'm always right

Oh and kie.

I can't see many clubs paying 10m for a 31yr old when they could sign him for free or a nominal amount the following January. That's also stupidity.

I'm always right

Can we afford to miss out on a potential £8-10m?
£8m max I said. But in all honesty, as I said above, I'm not sure any club would pay that. Non of the "idiot" clubs will be in for him.

What may happen is that United come to an agreement with a club like Leverkusen for say roughly 6m, on the basis that we opt against triggering the extension clause in his contract.

As I've said, I'll be absolutely amazed if we sign him, only to sell him.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
I guess we'll see.

Personally I think there's zero chance of us extending Berba's contract in say March, and selling him in July.
Berbatov can arrange pre contracts as of Jan 1st. Given the lack of a fee, It would suggest that teams might be more willing to up their wages for him without a fee. I don't see United giving him more then what he is already on, so it might entice him to go elsewhere.

I'm always right

Berbatov can arrange pre contracts as of Jan 1st. Given the lack of a fee, It would suggest that teams might be more willing to up their wages for him without a fee. I don't see United giving him more then what he is already on, so it might entice him to go elsewhere.
But I'm pretty sure United don't need Berba's agreement to trigger that extension, meaning Berba doesn't hold the cards here.

Lance Uppercut

But I'm pretty sure United don't need Berba's agreement to trigger that extension, meaning Berba doesn't hold the cards here.
Gill said it is a one way clause. Berbatov has no say in the matter.

Bryan_Munich

Aka RichieRich12
£8m max I said. But in all honesty, as I said above, I'm not sure any club would pay that. Non of the "idiot" clubs will be in for him.

What may happen is that United come to an agreement with a club like Leverkusen for say roughly 6m, on the basis that we opt against triggering the extension clause in his contract.

As I've said, I'll be absolutely amazed if we sign him, only to sell him.
How do you know none of the clubs with money to burn won't be in for him?

I'll be amazed if we don't trigger the extension, purely to protect our asset.

We shall see.

Amir

I think you're right, but not out of some reward. Even if we want to sell him, who says we'll find a buyer who'll offer us decent money and be able to convince Berbatov to join? We could end up with him staying, when we'd rather sell (Like Gibson and PIG), and having to pay his expensive contract for another year, which could hamper us when we try to sign new players.

I'm always right

How do you know none of the clubs with money to burn won't be in for him?

I'll be amazed if we don't trigger the extension, purely to protect our asset.

We shall see.
And I'd be amazed if we treated him so poorly.

If he's unwanted, and wants to leave, he will be allowed to leave. The fact that we have the clause, means that we can still ask for a fee right up until the deadline on that.

Lance Uppercut

I think you're right, but not out of some reward. Even if we want to sell him, who says we'll find a buyer who'll offer us decent money and be able to convince Berbatov to join? We could end up with him staying, when we'd rather sell (Like Gibson and PIG), and having to pay his expensive contract for another year, which could hamper us when we try to sign new players.
If one player's salary hinders us from signing new players we are in a bigger financial mess than anyone could have dreamed of.

Bryan_Munich

Aka RichieRich12
And I'd be amazed if we treated him so poorly.

If he's unwanted, and wants to leave, he will be allowed to leave. The fact that we have the clause, means that we can still ask for a fee right up until the deadline on that.
Also worth bearing in mind that Fergie said he will be given the extra year.

Amir

If one player's salary hinders us from signing new players we are in a bigger financial mess than anyone could have dreamed of.
We do have limits. Years ago the PLC said we should pay no more than 50% of our income on wages. We're very close to 50% right now. We have a huge squad. We can't just add and add. We can't afford to pay Berbatov's high wages for a fourth choice striker. No reasonable, well run, club can do that, unless you've got the City and Chelsea money. We just won't do that, and it's a very logical stance.

Lance Uppercut

We do have limits. Years ago the PLC said we should pay no more than 50% of our income on wages. We're very close to 50% right now. We have a huge squad. We can't just add and add. We can't afford to pay Berbatov's high wages for a fourth choice striker. No reasonable, well run, club can do that, unless you've got the City and Chelsea money. We just won't do that, and it's a very logical stance.
He is not 4th choice striker in my opinion. And we can obviously afford to pay his wages which is why we offered them.

kietotheworld

I guess we'll see.

Oh and kie.

I can't see many clubs paying 10m for a 31yr old when they could sign him for free or a nominal amount the following January. That's also stupidity.
I do agree that it won't happen, but it's not because of some 'United way', it's because no-one would buy him for a significant amount when they'd have to match his wages.

Amir

Also worth bearing in mind that Fergie said he will be given the extra year.
He also said we've definitely be signing Tevez permanently. It was the right thing to say then and it's the right thing to say now, you can't exactly tell the player during the season we're letting him go. Talk is cheap. You plan to extend the deal? Shut up and do it...

Bryan_Munich

Aka RichieRich12
He also said we've definitely be signing Tevez permanently. It was the right thing to say then and it's the right thing to say now, you can't exactly tell the player during the season we're letting him go. Talk is cheap. You plan to extend the deal? Shut up and do it...
He still might.

Amir

He is not 4th choice striker in my opinion. And we can obviously afford to pay his wages which is why we offered them.
The amount of starts and pitch time suggests he very much is fourth choice. I see him more as Rooney's understudy, simply because Hernandez and Welbeck offer us something else upfront such as movement and pace, which doesn't leave him a whole lot of pitch time.

As for paying his wages, of course we can afford it. Except it's not about him but the whole team and the total amount of wages. Does his current role at the team justify those wages, or could they be used better for a different player? It's not a bottomless pit.