Berbatov's Dive... Oh Dear

Kelvin

well lets said if that kind of penalty was given against us we be fuming, it did look harsh, contact was minimum , berba did went down rather too easily.

PDA1234

That's not what I was asking :lol:

Agger tripped him, therefore it's a fair penalty shout.

An attacker doesn't have to hit the ground for the defenders actions to be classed as a trip, according to neither the dictionary nor the laws of the game.

So, is tripping a player a legitimate way to defend in football?
Well its a question of judgment.

It wasn't a trip to me when I saw the other angles.

Berba was in the penalty area, close to the touchline, felt the touch and dived.

Its a no brainer this one.

MrK

Well its a question of judgment.

It wasn't a trip to me when I saw the other angles.

Berba was in the penalty area, close to the touchline, felt the touch and dived.

Its a no brainer this one.
Would Berbatov have stayed in control of the ball if Agger hadn't made the challenge? Would he have stayed in control of the ball if he'd tried to stay on his feet after the challenge?

For me it's yes to the first, and no to the second, that's why I think it's a fair shout.

Not saying it wasn't a bit soft though, you'd quite often see them not given, but I think it's a fair call as the law stands.

darko

He clipped his heel. How is that not a penalty. If his sole objective is to remain on his feet then he wouldn't control a ball in that situation. So it's 100% a foul. No question from the replays I saw.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
It's a dive. Come on! it's clear as blue sky.

I'm happy with a win dive / no dive. But that is a dive alright.

PS: focusing on the foul / no foul it is still not a foul, or else football will be a non contact sport. There's no tugging, no tripping, no pulling as far as i can see
I put it as being borderline whether it was a foul or not. Again, it would be a foul outside the penalty area, of that I am certain - so by the letter of the law it should be a foul inside as well. Realistically, yes it was a soft penalty and Berbatov could have stayed on his feet if he wanted to I imagine - but we wouldnt gain any advantage from him doing so. If a foul is committed and he goes down, then thats not a dive in my book, even if he didnt have to go down.

The question again, is whether it was a foul and as I said - I reckon it would be given outside the box, but you will often see them not being given inside the box I will admit.

The_Midfielder

Looking at teh video again.. you can see Agger's hand on Berbatov's back..
Would Agger have pushed him there?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I put it as being borderline whether it was a foul or not. Again, it would be a foul outside the penalty area, of that I am certain - so by the letter of the law it should be a foul inside as well. Realistically, yes it was a soft penalty and Berbatov could have stayed on his feet if he wanted to I imagine - but we wouldnt gain any advantage from him doing so. If a foul is committed and he goes down, then thats not a dive in my book, even if he didnt have to go down.

The question again, is whether it was a foul and as I said - I reckon it would be given outside the box, but you will often see them not being given inside the box I will admit.
You know when fans of United starts using borderline, put aside x y z, realistically, soft, could have stayed on his feet, you can bet your house it's actually a dive.

darko

Non contact. Holy Jesus. He clipped his back heel. That's is a foul. I might even be considered sneaky like shirt pulling. Anybody who says he shouldn't have went down is obvious not a a striker worth anything because you'd have to be playing at 25% to stay in your feet. I'd say this is a couch potato's or Liverpool fan's opinion. :lol:

topper

Clown
Stone wall pen. Berbatov was taken out viscously by the Scouser in a disgusting act of violence. The way he managed to stay on his feet for a good 2 or 3 seconds after contact was made before going down was nothing short of heroic.
poetic succinct and true

darko

Well it did look a bit like he went down at the wrong point in his motion for it to be directly from the challenge. I wouldn't say blatant though, we can't exactly feel Berbatov's balance. That's not to say he wasn't illegally impeded in the first instance though, i.e. was fouled.
If he dove, then he's the best stunt actor I've ever seen.

p_ps_sock

There was no foul. Football is a contact sport. I personally do not want a game that sees players diving all over the place if an opponent brushes off them. What a crap game that would be.
contact sport doesn't mean you can kick somebody's shins. There seems to be a weird view from some some that a foul has to knock you to the ground or it isn't a foul

SATA

Berbatov isn't that sort of player who dives. That's enough to convince me he was caught and it's a penalty.

Biscuit1871

contact sport doesn't mean you can kick somebody's shins. There seems to be a weird view from some some that a foul has to knock you to the ground or it isn't a foul
To be honest it reminded me of Andy Johnson and his speciality, kick the ball into the stand and run at the goal keeper. Berbatov knew nothing was going to come of the chance, so went for the dive.

Wrong Ronaldo?
??

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
Nice pass. Sublime control, stupid challenge, intelligent fall, sublime penalty, sublime goal. Dippers out, sublime Berba. Simples.
See this is why players do it so readily - it's not only tolerated, it's actually venerated by fans.

The player shouldn't be doing the ref's job. If he's tripped up so that he falls down, then he falls down. If he's tripped but not badly enough to fall, he should try to stay on his feet, keep the ball and create something. If the ref thinks it's a foul, he'll give a penalty. Football's about scoring and preventing goals, not finessing the rules or fooling the ref to win set pieces.

Of course it's always going to happen, just like kicking people in the shins is always going to happen. Doesn't mean it should be admired, it should be deprecated, if caught doing it players should be made to feel ashamed.

SATA

There was one moment in the second half where Berbatov stayed on his feet and carried on when the defender lunged into him. Don't see some of you lot gave him credit for that. He's just not that sort of player who dives

darko

Thank you for saying that. That's the point exactly. A foul is a foul whether a player goes down or not.

MrK

See this is why players do it so readily - it's not only tolerated, it's actually venerated by fans.

The player shouldn't be doing the ref's job. If he's tripped up so that he falls down, then he falls down. If he's tripped but not badly enough to fall, he should try to stay on his feet, keep the ball and create something. If the ref thinks it's a foul, he'll give a penalty. Football's about scoring and preventing goals, not finessing the rules or fooling the ref to win set pieces.

Of course it's always going to happen, just like kicking people in the shins is always going to happen. Doesn't mean it should be admired, it should be deprecated, if caught doing it players should be made to feel ashamed.
That's the thing though, it's very rare that the ref will call the foul unless a player falls. Which isn't particularly a sleight on the refs, the job's hard enough as it is, but it's a bit much to ask players to do their utmost to hide that they've been impeded.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

He won't though, that's the problem. Ref's are very reluctant to give penalties, so if a player stays on their feet it's extremely unlikely the ref will give a penalty unless it is so blatantly obvious that it would be ridiculous not to give it. And even then they sometimes won't (I remember a couple of years ago in the course of a couple of weeks both Rooney and Ronaldo were denied stone wall penalties simply because they both tried to stay on their feet).

You can understand why the refs are reluctant as they get attacked so much when they get it wrong (and even sometimes when they get it right), but it's that very same attitude that encourages players to dive.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
That's the thing though, it's very rare that the ref will call the foul unless a player falls. Which isn't particularly a sleight on the refs, the job's hard enough as it is, but it's a bit much to ask players to do their utmost to hide that they've been impeded.
They're not supposed to hide anything, just stay on their feet if they can. It's not a big ask. If someone is knocked off balance but manages to stay on their feet it's easy enough for the ref to see and award the penalty anyway.

MrK

If he dove, then he's the best stunt actor I've ever seen.
I'm arguing that it was a fair penalty shout, and I'm not saying that he wouldn't have gone down eventually, but if he was felled directly as a result of the challenge I'd have expected him to fall the step after the one he actually did fall on - i.e. when he tried to plant the leg that had been knocked by Agger.

Doesn't particularly matter though, it's all just in the aftermath of what I see as being a foul.

MrK

They're not supposed to hide anything, just stay on their feet if they can. It's not a big ask. If someone is knocked off balance but manages to stay on their feet it's easy enough for the ref to see and award the penalty anyway.

I'm not sure that referees are inclined to do that, though, and I'm also not sure if it's as easy as you make out for the referee to see infringements like that. The link someone posted a few pages back about Howard Webb telling Ian Evatt he didn't get a penalty because he stayed on his feet backs that up - fair enough, it was in a bit of a rag of a newspaper, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was true.

If I thought referees were calling fouls without players falling over I'd agree with you, but I'm not convinced that's the case.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
He probably went down easily, but Agger prevented Berbatov from gaining an advantage through contact in the area. It's a penalty.

p_ps_sock

how is/was that a response to what I said?

Berbatov didn't kick the ball past Agger and look for a foul, he was trying to get space to cross and got kicked in the shins, what happened after that is irrelevant - it's a penalty.

So you don't think Ronaldo was fantastic in his last 3 seasons with us? 23 goals and PL title, 42 goals and a PL Cl double and 26 goals and a PL title (plus another CL final appearance), most of those scored as a winger, and 36 assists over the 3 seasons as well.

Stan Jefferson

Its always something else with liverpool, never their fault. As long as they have that attitude they'll fix nowt.

Biscuit1871

how is/was that a response to what I said?

Berbatov didn't kick the ball past Agger and look for a foul, he was trying to get space to cross and got kicked in the shins, what happened after that is irrelevant - it's a penalty.

So you don't think Ronaldo was fantastic in his last 3 seasons with us? 23 goals and PL title, 42 goals and a PL Cl double and 26 goals and a PL title (plus another CL final appearance), most of those scored as a winger, and 36 assists over the 3 seasons as well.
No, I was drawing your attention to my post asking whether or not you were talking about the wrong Ronaldo, which now clearly you were.

Redrage

Stupid of Agger to commit a stupid foul. The contact wasn't enough to bring him down but hey that doesn't change the fact that it was a indeed a foul albeit a very soft one.

feck this, Berba is an opportunist and we dumped the bastards out of the cup. End of story.

Biscuit1871

Its always something else with liverpool, never their fault. As long as they have that attitude they'll fix nowt.
I don't think anyone is seeing it like that. Everyone knows, themselves included, that something is wrong with club and change is needed.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
No refs will award the penalty in a situation like today if the player doesnt go down.