Bernardo Silva - Footballer

Revan

Assumptionman
That penalty goes in 90% of the time. Just because it looks silly the few times the keeper decides to stand there doesn't make it any worse than any other pen put down the middle with a bit of height.

One of the pens where somebody sticks it in the stands is the worst ever.
Sure, but it looks far sillier. Honestly the keeper could have saved it with head instead of catching it.

Talking about catching a penalty, that rarely happens, and Madrid keeper did it twice yesterday.

Zen

That penalty goes in 90% of the time. Just because it looks silly the few times the keeper decides to stand there doesn't make it any worse than any other pen put down the middle with a bit of height.

90% is well off. Statistically, outside of totally missing the target of course, it's the lowest success rate for scoring penalties, in the middle at chest height that is, you'd be lucky if it was 60%. Aiming too high in the middle is also statistically proven to be the most common way of totally missing the target too.

Going down the middle, as well as with pretty much minimal power, is just a hilariously bad decision in penalty taking unless your reactions are simply another level, Silva didn't let the keeper show any kind of movement, it was a diabolical penalty. I'd tell you this if it went in too, just as I would with any panenka that is scored and looks like a lovely deft chip over a diving keeper.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I don't think the keeper is getting enough credit.

Silva is taking a penalty after Madrid missed so there is big pressure on the keeper to do something and it's as "safe" as a penalty gets in a CL shootout for Silva with the insurance of Madrid's miss. Usually, a keeper will be bouncing around and commit heavily to a side in that situation.

To just stand there and call Silva's bluff like that was very ballsy.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
90% is well off. Statistically, outside of totally missing the target of course, it's the lowest success rate for scoring penalties, in the middle at chest height that is, you'd be lucky if it was 60%. Aiming too high in the middle is also statistically proven to be the most common way of totally missing the target too.

Going down the middle, as well as with pretty much minimal power, is just a hilariously bad decision in penalty taking unless your reactions are simply another level, Silva didn't let the keeper show any kind of movement, it was a diabolical penalty. I'd tell you this if it went in too, just as I would with any panenka that is scored and looks like a lovely deft chip over a diving keeper.
Just not true. Here are some stats based on all penalty shootouts in World Cups and Euros - Going down the middle with just enough height to clear the keeper's legs is statistically the best place you can put a pen. 94% chance of going in:

The keeper only stands in the middle of the goal 3% of the time. The worst (on target) penalty you can take is basically the Kovacic one, where you aim for a corner and get nowhere near it.

https://www.thestatszone.com/archiv...penalty-shootouts-where-to-place-your-penalty

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It has to be the worst penalty ever, right? This is the risk with Panenka, you can look like an idiot when it doesn't get in.

The keeper should have saved it with chest or head for extra humiliation.
It wasn't a Panenka to be fair - he didn't dink it, just side footed it.

Usually if you're going down the middle you should put a bit of power behind it, but yeah most of the time that still goes in because the keeper has dived.

pacifictheme

Just not true. Here are some stats based on all penalty shootouts in World Cups and Euros - Going down the middle with just enough height to clear the keeper's legs is statistically the best place you can put a pen. 94% chance of going in:

The keeper only stands in the middle of the goal 3% of the time. The worst (on target) penalty you can take is basically the Kovacic one, where you aim for a corner and get nowhere near it.

https://www.thestatszone.com/archiv...penalty-shootouts-where-to-place-your-penalty
Interesting stuff, but did his penalty actually fit in that middle box, from watching it again its higher, like head height. And slightly to the side. Somewhere near the 78.9, 60, 80, 94.4 join.

Also I reckon penalties down the middle are often absolutely blasted, rather than casually hit like his.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

This - it looks stupid when it fails, but statistically it's your best bet (on a one-off basis).

That said, there is a game theory component to it too. If you keep shooting it the same way every time, it won't be as effective since keepers will do their homework and anticipate it (as was the case last night).

Oranges038

Interesting stuff, but did his penalty actually fit in that middle box, from watching it again its higher, like head height. And slightly to the side. Somewhere near the 78.9, 60, 80, 94.4 join.

Also I reckon penalties down the middle are often absolutely blasted, rather than casually hit like his.
Only one way to hit a penalty down the middle.

Oranges038

I can't believe you would use a video of a penalty in a west ham v man united game and not choose the Julian dicks penalty.
His wasn't really down the middle. I only really remember Julian Dicks for this.

Not even a card.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

Yeah, it's possible it might not be perfectly in the middle box, but bear in mind that the ones at the edge of the goal include misses that were aimed there (so the 60.9,%, 80%, 60% for high middle squares include the ones that were blasted over the bar in those areas). Silva's was definitely on target.

That's also why the top corners have relatively average success rates. Of course if you actually hit them it's 100%.

pacifictheme

Yeah, it's possible it might not be perfectly in the middle box, but bear in mind that the ones at the edge of the goal include misses that were aimed there (so the 60.9,%, 80%, 60% for high middle squares include the ones that were blasted over the bar in those areas). Silva's was definitely on target.

That's also why the top corners have relatively average success rates. Of course if you actually hit them it's 100%.
Ah that makes sense. I do think he stands a better chance if he blasts it. He's so casual I think the keeper has too much time to react. If you run up and leather it the keeper has less time to make a decision and even if it's almost straight down his throat he's got less chance of saving it (partly due to reaction and also due to him having less time to make a decision).

criticalanalysis

I don't think the keeper is getting enough credit.

Silva is taking a penalty after Madrid missed so there is big pressure on the keeper to do something and it's as "safe" as a penalty gets in a CL shootout for Silva with the insurance of Madrid's miss. Usually, a keeper will be bouncing around and commit heavily to a side in that situation.

To just stand there and call Silva's bluff like that was very ballsy.
I thought Lunin had a good game overall. The commentary was making it out like he was Donnarumma with his indecisiveness in the box but at the very least he dealt with everything. It wasn't the most commanding but there was a quiet assurance in his actions throughout the game. The penalty saves sealed it.

Whilst he hasn't got enough credit, it's probably the best for him to stay under the radar and keep performing that way.

Zen

This Vox video is based off all world cups and has his spreadsheet in the description, even taking into account the vide spacing of the older analysis at Stats zone, I find it very odd how wildly different they are, even with the wider spacing options from the stats zone and taking into account the Euros. There was another article that took into account more than just big tournaments and just a dude with analysed every penalty he could find ever, but I can't find that, probably ancient and outdated, but it essentially suggested a panenka in theory is a dreadful choice. This and the statszone are realistically, in the grand scheme of football penalties, miniscule sample sizes. I just looked a few up... and they all kind of say different things... basically you can't stat your way to a penalty win :lol: