Bernardo Silva - Footballer

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The fecker has similar energy like Bruno, for the Club and country. Shame that he's overshadowed by KdB in that City team. But he's exactly the type of playmaker we need.

Theonas

Scout
Personally think him and David Silva are on a similar level. Don't think David Silva is on a whole different stratosphere as said on here.

He's already performed much better in Europe for City than D.Silva has. Similar consistency in the league. David Silva's best league campaigns(2011-2012 & 2017-2018) are somewhat marred by disappointing CL campaigns individually.

Don't really see the argument that David Silva is much much better. I think David's a better passer, but they're both similarly press resistant(Bernardo probably shades him here). Bernardo's probably a better ball carrier too and even a better dribbler.
It's Pep. All of these players are good but no one plays to this level without him. There was an article by Guillem Balagué yesterday about how KdB is not seen outside England as potential Balon d'Or winner because this City team is viewed as Pep's work. Pick any of these players with the exception maybe Haaland now and none of them perform to the same level in their previous club or for their country.

Eddy_JukeZ

It's Pep. All of these players are good but no one plays to this level without him. There was an article by Guillem Balagué yesterday about how KdB is not seen outside England as potential Balon d'Or winner because this City team is viewed as Pep's work. Pick any of these players with the exception maybe Haaland now and none of them perform to the same level in their previous club or for their country.
Oh I've long said this. His ability to maximize attacking players is simply amazing.

Theonas

Scout
Oh I've long said this. His ability to maximize attacking players is simply amazing.
Defensive too. Aké was a Chelsea reject playing for relegation candidates and Akanji was part a meme defence at Dortmund. If we'd bought them, the Glazers would have been lynched.

Eddy_JukeZ

Defensive too. Aké was a Chelsea reject playing for relegation candidates and Akanji was part a meme defence at Dortmund. If we'd bought them, the Glazers would have been lynched.
True and his reinvention of Stones this season has also been incredible.

He's the best coach in the world at maximizing his players and making them more than the sum of their parts consistently.

(...)

Supports
Arsenal
The thing Pep improves dramatically is the defensive game of attacking players. Offensively, Bernardo Silva was arguably as good as he is now with Monaco. But I agree he's a far better player overall now.

Isafim

David Silva vs Bernardo Silva, who is better player?
In my opinion, the player I consider the best is David Silva. He has a unique combination of refined technical skills, exceptional game vision and precise passing ability. His ability to control the game, find spaces and create goalscoring opportunities is impressive. Furthermore, he has demonstrated consistency at a high level throughout his career, winning numerous titles and being a key part of Manchester City's success. While Bernardo Silva is also a talented and versatile player, I feel that David Silva has had a greater impact on his teams over the years. His experience and leadership skills are also factors that I consider important.

FerociousCorgis

I saw him win more headers today than wout I swear. And actually hit the target with his goal too

dan1509

So impressive that he needs to spend 100s of millions each year? You lot are acting out as if he is working on chump change to make the most of his shoddy tools. Most...if not all these players were highly sought and brought in for high amounts of money. I have yet to see him make use of average players such as Fletcher, O'Shea, Chicharito, and Welbeck....the way SAF did. Those players would be shipped out first thing in the morning if they were in Peps squad.

Bernardo was world class even before joining City in that Monaco team

You mean the same KDB who broke the assists record at Wolfsburg, and performed at world class levels for Belgium? Are we pretending like Pep waved some magic wand with him too now?

caid

He's an annoyingly good player. Thought he was better and more influential last season but seems to be on a good run recently. Wherever he starts he's hard to deal with and he can do a job in a lot of positions. Wish barcelona would buy him. Or anyone really.
Think the thing that Guardiola brings to players is discipline. They play his way or not at all. He can and will leave a 100m winger on the bench for a season till he has his role perfect or sell a 60m full back who was one of his best players the previous year at the first sign of difficulty. He's earned the trust obviously and City's owners were sensible enough to focus on him above any individual player. Its a powerful position he's put himself in.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The fecker has similar energy like Bruno, for the Club and country. Shame that he's overshadowed by KdB in that City team. But he's exactly the type of playmaker we need.
We should have signed him all those years back. Even in the clips his ball control was ridiculous. This notion that it’s all Pep is silly. The problem is that we didn’t have any vision of what team we wanted to be flipping from LVG to Jose and hence missing out on great targets like this. Then again, City we’re an already successful team during the era of Mancini, Pelligeininetc and have state money so maybe we couldn’t sign him even if we wanted.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Magical player, he has fulfilled all of the potential he showcased at Monaco and some.

My only complaint with him is he does Not perform anywhere near the same level for Portugal.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
We should have signed him all those years back. Even in the clips his ball control was ridiculous. This notion that it’s all Pep is silly. The problem is that we didn’t have any vision of what team we wanted to be flipping from LVG to Jose and hence missing out on great targets like this. Then again, City we’re an already successful team during the era of Mancini, Pelligeininetc and have state money so maybe we couldn’t sign him even if we wanted.
Yeah, you're right, man. Probably he'd still choose City because Pep was there already, and City was dominating the League with a style suitable for him. But what do we expect, man? We had Mourinho in 2017 when City got him. Not in a million years Mou would have targeting a "weak" player like Bernardo Silva (probably).

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Magical player, he has fulfilled all of the potential he showcased at Monaco and some.

My only complaint with him is he does Not perform anywhere near the same level for Portugal.
Yeah, i remember his performance against Morocco in the World Cup was shambolic.

Runs with ball, tries to dribble a moroccan player near the last third, loses the ball, Portugal recover the ball, passes the ball to him, and he does the same again, didn't even try to pass to one of his teammates in a better position...repeat x 100 in 90 minutes.

I certainly don't remember a very good performance from Bernardo Silva against very good opponents, all his great games were against teams Portugal should be beating anyways cause the opponent is too bad (Israel,Armenia,Latvia, Azerbaijan, etc).

It has to be frustrating see a player looking great at club level, and then do nothing in your national team.
And you can't put all the blame on the manager, Deschamps it's not a top manager, and the likes of Griezmann, Mbappe, Rabiot, Theo, etc are always thriving in France.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
So impressive that he needs to spend 100s of millions each year? You lot are acting out as if he is working on chump change to make the most of his shoddy tools. Most...if not all these players were highly sought and brought in for high amounts of money. I have yet to see him make use of average players such as Fletcher, O'Shea, Chicharito, and Welbeck....the way SAF did. Those players would be shipped out first thing in the morning if they were in Peps squad.

You mean the same KDB who broke the assists record at Wolfsburg, and performed at world class levels for Belgium? Are we pretending like Pep waved some magic wand with him too now?
He was great, but he was never this good in Monaco.

And i don't even have to mention his shambolic performances in Portugal whenever he faces teams not names Latvia, Azerbaijan, Israel, etc

World class player who looks even more world class thanks to Pep system.

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
There was an article by Guillem Balagué yesterday about how KdB is not seen outside England as potential Balon d'Or winner because this City team is viewed as Pep's work.
Speaking as someone from outside England, Balagué is, as usual, spouting absolute bollocks.

And Flo needs to do something about the "why nobody sign city players" thread and sign this guy

dan1509

And i don't even have to mention his shambolic performances in Portugal whenever he faces teams not names Latvia, Azerbaijan, Israel, etc

He was 20 at Monaco, and now he is 28...of course he improved.

His performances with Portugal have more to do with the lack of world class teammates. Its the same reason why KDB was amazing for belgium from 2016-2020, but now is a nonfactor. Nobody in Portugals starting eleven would start for City besides him maybe nuno mendes

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
He was 20 at Monaco, and now he is 28...of course he improved.

His performances with Portugal have more to do with the lack of world class teammates. Its the same reason why KDB was amazing for belgium from 2016-2020, but now is a nonfactor. Nobody in Portugals starting eleven would start for City besides him maybe nuno mendes
Dias starts for both City and Portugal. But it's somehow true what you say, but even Messi struggles in Argentina till 2022. Football is not a very linear game.

Theonas

Scout

There are many, many players who perform at a high class level at mid table Germany. Mkhitaryan, Kagawa, Sancho performed at an even higher level. By higher I mean at a Dortmund team that was competing higher up the table than Wolfsburg. World class with Belgium? If you are going to argue that his level for City is the same as for Belgium, let's just agree to disagree and leave it there.

Last edited:

Theonas

Scout
The thing Pep improves dramatically is the defensive game of attacking players. Offensively, Bernardo Silva was arguably as good as he is now with Monaco. But I agree he's a far better player overall now.
I am not sure how he improves to be honest. I see it more as his heavy emphasis on positioning and where to move in connection to everyone else, just extracts such high collective performance. It's not like when Dias and Bernardo go to Portugal now, they dominate games or when KdB plays for Belgium. Rodri does not stand out in Spain and who ever talked of Gündogan in the same breath as the Modric or Kroos of this world? 'It's Pep's team and they're perfectly placed in there to offer specific ingredients married with a very very high work rate leading to a collective output that is off the charts. The two most dominant 90 minutes I've ever seen in the CL is the 2011 final and yesterday, taking in consideration the stage and opponent.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I am not sure how he improves to be honest. I see it more as his heavy emphasis on positioning and where to move in connection to everyone else, just extracts such high collective performance. It's not like when Dias and Bernardo go to Portugal now, they dominate games or when KdB plays for Belgium. Rodri does not stand out in Spain and who ever talked of Gündogan in the same breath as the Modric or Kroos of this world? 'It's Pep's team and they're perfectly placed in there to offer specific ingredients married with a very very high work rate leading to a collective output that is off the charts. The two most dominant 90 minutes I've ever seen in the CL is the 2011 final and yesterday, taking in consideration the stage and opponent.
I also don't think that Pep improves these players that much, it is rather that he forms such a strong collective that they get into situations to utilize their strengths more often. That's a very underrated effect when judging a player IMO, especially after they switch teams. Silva could do all the things he does already at Monaco but under Guardiola, he gets on the ball in the right areas much more frequently.

Regarding Gündogan, I believe those who saw him regularly under Klopp named him in the same sentence as Modric, Kroos, Thiago and the likes. He was breathtaking pre-injury and I'm really happy he's reinvented himself this way.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
There are many, many players who perform at a high class level at mid table Germany. Mkhitaryan, Kagawa, Sancho performed at an even higher level. By higher I mean at a Dortmund team that was competing higher up the table than Wolfsburg. World class with Belgium? If you are going to argue that his level for City is the same as for Belgium, let's just agree to disagree and leave it there.
Wolfsburg finished 2nd and won the german cup the year of De Bruyne...

Flanders Devil

This is so true. Both were just average, and when City signed them, I thought 'meh'. Stones was always more highly rated, he just had a long-ish bedding in period.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I'm not sure I agree.

The likes of De Bruyne, Grealish, Haaland, Mahrez, Walker, Rodri, Bernardo Silva (i.e. over half of their starting XI) all excelled for their previous club. They were all brilliant for their last teams and were all bought at a young age as they moved into their primes. Inevitably they'll look better as part of a stronger and more cohesive team that's showcasing its talents to the world. De Bruyne in particular had an absolutely sensational season for Wolfsburg which is completely consistent with the level he's shown for a decade or so now.

But I think it's a given for any world-class player to fulfill his talents. They need the right environment and tactical conditions to maximise their influence. Very few are able to still perform to those levels when those factors are not in place.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
If we had of signed him under any of our managers since SAF (except maybe ETH) then he just would of been another player that ended up on the shit pile and everyone would of been saying what a waste of money he was. Of course it wasn't all Pep but don't underestimate the influence a manager has on a player. Peps influence is enormous.

GlasgowCeltic

think he’s the player Madrid should be targeting over Bellingham, could do the Modric role or plug the right side gap

Mooza

Supports
Arsenal
True and his reinvention of Stones this season has also been incredible.

He's the best coach in the world at maximizing his players and making them more than the sum of their parts consistently.
No that’s Klopp

El Jefe

David Silva vs Bernardo Silva, who is better player?
I think it's easily David. Bernardo playing at his best when he's in shit hot form might be better but he doesn't reach that level anywhere near enough. David Silva was a consistent 8/10 every game it felt like.

padr81

Supports
Man City

Wasn't he player of the tournie in the nations league when Portugal won?

Ted Lasso

Fair enough. I've never been overly hyped around him and thought his WC display was pretty poor. But last night was quite the stage to play so well, it's softened my view.

You are you dredging up a several months old quote to gloat about a City player excelling so you can score some internet points. You must've been overjoyed last night when he scored.
Thread was trending yesterday and Gled's post was on the very last page just some dozen posts above the bumps or so. I think my question was stated pretty matter of factly too. Even if it weren't, this kind of discourse around a player is what makes a football forum. You're telling me I'm out of line?

This feels very strongly like internet bullying given your coming into this as a third party and with the quick to anger and condescension. I would have just ignored it but its a really bad example to be coming from someone who is "staff". Reported. Hope you will be a better leader on here next time because this is very poor.

Theonas

Scout
Wolfsburg finished 2nd and won the german cup the year of De Bruyne...
Fair enough, I missed that. Doesn't change what I wrote about Kagawa, Mkhitaryan and Sancho who were also finishing high in Germany. De Bruyne was a brilliant talent but it's not like Europe's who's who were vying for his signature as the next big thing and when you see his performances for Belgium, it's again not like he was lifting that team to a higher level. Brilliant footballer but not a one man game changer. Haalad is the closest player they bought to a future Balon d'Or winner status.

Theonas

Scout
This is so true. Both were just average, and when City signed them, I thought 'meh'. Stones was always more highly rated, he just had a long-ish bedding in period.
I'd even add Ruben Dias. I mean who considered him and his potential POTY level? Konaté, Upamecano, Koulibaly and Van Dijk had much higher reputations when they made their moves. They've also been winning titles with a left back side occupied by Fabian Delph or no one. All convential wisdom will tell you that you can't do that.