Bernardo Silva | Man City Player

thepolice123

I'd guess most people thinking City use PEDs also think most clubs use PEDs. I do.

I did think about Fletcher and don't remember having that feeling about him in any game ever. He could run all day, all season, but that's at least in part because he rarely did the kind of high intensity sprints you see forwards make.
Our final team under Fergie played a deeper defensive block and invited pressure. We don't even press half as much as City did. You seldom see our midfielders covering so much ground with that intensity.

Something definitely smells fishy.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Of course I couldn't I'm nearly 4 stone overweight and not a professional athlete. There is no way whatsoever he sprinted nearly 10k in that game, in fact quite the opposite if 3km of it was sprinted I'd be shocked frankly. To suggest he sprinted nearly 10k last night is ridiculous.

The average number of sprints per player in the PL is about 10-12, imagine Silva done 20 or so playing in midfield. He can't sprint more than 100m at a time so at most he sprinted 2km last night. Given that not all his sprints were from goal line to goal line, at best he sprinted 1.5k in the entire match.
What you did there is why I have an issue with averages across all players in football, since players have vastly different roles they have vastly different output, someone like Dele Alli has an average of 70 sprints per game which means that in order to get to 70 sprint on average, Dele Alli has mixed games where he is probably at for example 40 sprints and others where he is close to 100.Then you also have plenty of players that are close to 0, so when you use PL averages, your estimation for Bernardo is most likely far from reality, his role and style will put him in a different category closer to Dele Alli which makes PL averages irrelevant. As an example in 2015 Ritchie registered +100 sprint in a single game.

Now, if we go back to Bernardo Silva he registers on average fairly high distances, if you take the CL as a example he probably has games where he is close to 10km and others where he is close to 13km which puts his average between these two figures.
Of course none of that indicates whether footballers use PEDs or not, maybe he has been doing it since his Benfica days. But people shouldn't be surprised by these figures, they are not special for someone that is around 12km per game.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
If they have an option of using drugs that do not get detected by the testing system, why is it only Silva that takes them?
I guarantee that everyone at the top level takes peds, but some people choose to take compounds before a game that leave the system quickly when dosed correctly as a little extra. The testing system is easy as piss to get around, USADA has far more stringent testing and everyone still takes the piss in athletics.

Guardiola's Barcelona players got done for it, a few players would take a little extra for a specific game. But the blood samples for that have been thrown into a black hole to stop a doping scandal coming out. I don't think the evidence for that will ever come out since spanish football doesn't give a feck about doping.

padr81

Supports
Man City
What you did there is why I have an issue with averages across all players in football, since players have vastly different roles they have vastly different output, someone like Dele Alli has an average of 70 sprints per game which means that in order to get to 70 sprint on average, Dele Alli has mixed games where he is probably at for example 40 sprints and others where he is close to 100.Then you also have plenty of players that are close to 0, so when you use PL averages, your estimation for Bernardo is most likely far from reality, his role and style will put him in a different category closer to Dele Alli which makes PL averages irrelevant. As an example in 2015 Ritchie registered +100 sprint in a single game.

Now, if we go back to Bernardo Silva he registers on average fairly high distances, if you take the CL as a example he probably has games where he is close to 10km and others where he is close to 13km which puts his average between these two figures.
Of course none of that indicates whether footballers use PEDs or not, maybe he has been doing it since his Benfica days. But people shouldn't be surprised by these figures, they are not special for someone that is around 12km per game.
Yes but I was referring to say longer spirnts 30m or so, of Alli's sprint most were 20m at best (Im sure Bernardo had plenty of those too.) Being a coach/martial arts instructor its something I look into a fair bit.

Fair point, I shiould have been clearer, The 20 sprints was more 20 long sprints.

So lets say we are talking 70 sprints in total including tiny ones, 50 of those are 10-20 yard bursts and will have very little effect on him for more then a couple of seconds recovery of course it will tire him but not to stupid levels because, lets say a high 20m x 50 sprints, Thats 1km, and then 20 sprints at 30-40m That is 800m. So again you are talking at most 2-3km of sprinting over 90 minutes and very far from the 75% of his 13.7km.

You add in Bernardo's size compared to the average player and there is clearly no argument he needs Ped's to play like that.

Here's a good link if you are interested in it dude.
https://www.researchgate.net/public...red_by_Top_Level_Europa_League_Soccer_Players

JPRouve

Scout
Yes but I was referring to say longer spirnts 30m or so, of Alli's sprint most were 20m at best (Im sure Bernardo had plenty of those too.) Being a coach/martial arts instructor its something I look into a fair bit.

Fair point, I shiould have been clearer, The 20 sprints was more 20 long sprints.

So lets say we are talking 70 sprints in total including tiny ones, 50 of those are 10-20 yard bursts and will have very little effect on him for more then a couple of seconds recovery of course it will tire him but not to stupid levels because, lets say a high 20m x 50 sprints, Thats 1km, and then 20 sprints at 30-40m That is 800m. So again you are talking at most 2-3km of sprinting over 90 minutes and very far from the 75% of his 13.7km.

You add in Bernardo's size compared to the average player and there is clearly no argument he needs Ped's to play like that.

Here's a good link if you are interested in it dude.
https://www.researchgate.net/public...red_by_Top_Level_Europa_League_Soccer_Players
That makes more sense, it would be interesting to have the actual speeds too, average, average while sprinting and maximum. It would be interesting to compare it with Eriksen and Dele Alli, Eriksen is supposed to be the player that covers the longest distance while Alli is the one that makes the most sprints.

padr81

Supports
Man City
That makes more sense, it would be interesting to have the actual speeds too, average, average while sprinting and maximum. It would be interesting to compare it with Eriksen and Dele Alli, Eriksen is supposed to be the player that covers the longest distance while Alli is the one that makes the most sprints.
Yeah, I really wish the PL would release sprint stats along with distance covered instead of the odd article, or better yet distance ran by speed would be awesome.
So something like a chart with distance and speed.

For example Alli: 12km total, x km at high intensity (over 12km per hour), x km at very high intensity (over 18km per hour), x km sprinted (over 25.2km per hour, this is the figure the PL currently uses apparently or at least it was in 2014).
Erikesin: 13km total, and all the differences.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It's not really about the distance covered, he was pressing relentlessly.

Classical Mechanic

I can't remember who mentioned it but his VO2 max was supposed to be off the charts. Someone mentioned that in preseason, the game was to try to put in the red and they never did.
There were always rumours that he completed the bleep test but not sure if that’s true. He was always at the highest end of stamina levels in football though.

saivet

He pressed so much yesterday in injury time he had a moment where he slipped and fell over and my initial thought were that his legs have collapsed.

Emptihead

Supports
Manchester City
Are you seriously comparing you jogging in a straight line to a high intensity football match twisting and turning on a soft surface? Too many kicks in the head from kickboxing by the sounds of it.

Since you won't take my word from it, why do you think managers rotate their squads in the festive period? Because you will burn a player out or risk injury making them play 5 times in 15-16 days. You see it time and time again with high intensity teams burning out over Christmas (Leeds is a fine example this year), but I guess they don't have the exact same magic physios or facilities you mentioned above, eh? :rolleyes:

What he did on his 4th game is beyond belief and would be credited accordingly had his manager not a shady record of unrealistic endurance players throughout is Barcelona spell.

Also you mentioned if you stretch lactic acid isn't a problem, have you ever played a football match? You legs would be fecked playing 4 games in that space no matter how much you foam rolled or stretched.
Of course it was very impressive running but to say he is on peds while others aren't because of such work rate is a little foolish. Football players need to be good at football first and their ability to run comes second. Maybe Bernardo is just very good at the running bit as well.
I'm also a runner and took it very seriously back in highschool. It was common to do 2 high intensity workouts a week one of which was to do 20 400 meter spints in between 56-58 seconds. (A spint in football is considered going over 25.2 kph which is a 57 second 400 meter time.) With 200 meters between each sprint and warm ups and cool downs would hit 15k. This would be 4 times in a 14 day period while running at least 13k the other days.

I agree running on a track isn't the same as in a match but this was also a highschool athlete not a professional one. I'm not trying to say Bernados efforts aren't impresive they certainly are, but not as humanly impossible as you make them sound.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
There were always rumours that he completed the bleep test but not sure if that’s true. He was always at the highest end of stamina levels in football though.
Yes, it's not really possible to complete it, but there's no doubting that Beckham had exceptional aerobic fitness.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
If you can have 3 players playing like that during a game, you're golden. Was in the zone. Man possessed.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
He improved a lot this season.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
He used to do the same at Monaco, pundits were always stating that he would have to be rested at some point but he almost played every league games and was mainly finshing them or subbed in the last 10 minutes. Same thing in CL. He doesn't get injured too.
Moutinho was like that when he was younger.

RochaRoja

This guy took some of the special sauce just like Barca players used to do before big games under baldy. It's pretty fecking obvious if you've watched him regularly since his Monaco days. Every City player was dead on their feet while this guy was a one man press in the last 10 minutes of the game.
Yeah, because obviously if you’re a PED master like people are claiming Guardiola is, what you’d do is pump one player full of them and leave everyone else to be “dead on their feet” with 10 minutes of the game to go. Flawless plan.

RochaRoja

Being small actually helps — you'll never see Lukaku doing it because he has to carry all this extra muscle.
It seems like there’s almost a deliberate choice from Guardiola to focus on “leanness” in his conditioning of players. Apart from the naturally bulky players like Walker and Agüero, the majority of the team are so skinny and scrawny looking.

Fernandinho’s arms look like something you’d see on a heroin chic model from the 1990s. Even their centre backs, Stones and Laporte look noticably wirey compared to the typical central defender.

Mrdan1709

1.73m is 5ft8 which in comparison to most top premier league footballers is a midget, he's also 63 kilo's. I'm actually 1.73cm and I'd consider myself pretty much a midget in athletic terms.

The average height of a premier league footballer is over 9cm taller (approx 6ft), hence why most people on here refer to City as a team of midgets.
The average weight of a premier league footballer (as of 2014 last I could find) is 75kg.

So he's 3.5 inches shorter and 2 stone lighter than the average player.
Im curious what is the average height of a premier league footballer if you removed goalkeepers and centre backs since these positions obviously require 6 foot plus players. Would probably be really hard to find such a specific stat though.

Last edited by a moderator:

padr81

Supports
Man City
Im curious what is the average height of a premier league footballer if you removed goalkeepers and centre backs since these positions obviously require 6 foot plus players. Would probably be really hard to find such a specific stat though.
I got your back buddy.
https://www.theversed.com/86312/are...-a-premier-league-player-firmino/#.T91Izegnvf

Strange that the average for every position is taller by almost an inch this season compared to 92-93 when the league started.

Badenfutbolfan

Supports
Man city
He is becoming my favourite player this season, David needs to shave his hair though

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Should be a contender for player of the year along with Aguero and Salah.

Canagel

Strong case to be made that he is the best performing midfielder in the league this season.
he's played well but if we're talking City midfielders you can't look past Fernandinho. they crumbled when he missed a few matches.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The heir of spanish Silva. So you don't need 100+m to get a good midfielder actually.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
he's played well but if we're talking City midfielders you can't look past Fernandinho. they crumbled when he missed a few matches.
Fernandinho is indispensable but City crumbling in his absence is more due to the lack of a backup for him. I think Bernando has hit a higher level of performance.

JPRouve

Scout
People didn't believe us when we said that he was the best player in Ligue 1. Stats aren't everything.

Emptihead

Supports
Manchester City
Love him as a player and he is having a great season. The only thing is has anyone noticed how one footed he is? Seems he only touches the ball with his left foot the majority of the time. If he ever gets more comfortable with his right could definitely go up another level even.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
People didn't believe us when we said that he was the best player in Ligue 1. Stats aren't everything.
Can’t pretend to have watched much of him there, but his class and energy was immediately obvious.

JPRouve

Scout
Can’t pretend to have watched much of him there, but his class and energy was immediately obvious.
I was convinced that he would replace Iniesta, it's a real shame that he ended up at City.

Hoof the ball

He needs to bulk up if he wants to play in in The Most Physically Demanding Competition Since Colosseum.

Seriously, though. His class was evident for all to see at Monaco. It's barely mentioned, but what a fine dribbler he is, too.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Should be a contender for player of the year along with Aguero and Salah.
I think most Liverpool fans wouldn't have Salah as their own player of the season, let alone the league's. Also think Son deserves recognition for the excellent season he's had.