Bernardo Silva | Man City Player

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
@JPRouve knows nothing about French football? :lol::lol::lol:
He was jesting, as a City fan he knows that Bernardo has an above average stamina and work rate. The only issue that he has as a player was decision making offensively and defensively, from a workrate standpoint he is fairly impressive, it's the type of player that is generally still running in the last 10 minutes which was a time where Monaco would score a lot.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
He was jesting, as a City fan he knows that Bernardo has an above average stamina and work rate. The only issue that he has as a player was decision making offensively and defensively, from a workrate standpoint he is fairly impressive, it's the type of player that is generally still running in the last 10 minutes which was a time where Monaco would score a lot.
Bernardo and João Cancelo are similar in that aspect and was the reason Benfica youth teams did so well in national and international competitions. They are tireless and will outrun most of theior opponents.

izec

Bernardo and João Cancelo are similar in that aspect and was the reason Benfica youth teams did so well in national and international competitions. They are tireless and will outrun most of theior opponents.
Cancelo is impressive, his runs are great. You can see when he doesnt play at Juve, they are missing something going forward, since De Sciglio isnt that good. Similar to Hakimi, you seem them bombing forward constantly throughout the game and still going strong til the end.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He's got a great attitude with a lot of energy but the idea that he'd ran that hard for the first 80 mins and was still able to keep it going in the last 10 is ridiculous. Guardiola needs to tell him to at least feign tiredness when he's all pumped up on those PEDs...

Classical Mechanic

It's not really suspicious, he has always been that type of player. That's why Jardim would use him upfront in the most defensive set up, he would chase everything and everyone, at Benfica he was training as a left back.
He's just played 4 games in 12 days, a notoriously difficult run of fixtures, he played the 90 minutes in 3 of 4 of those games. In the other game he came off 7 minutes from the end. In the last of those games he ran further than any other player has ran in any other Premier League fixture this season.

Remarkable fitness levels at the least.

JPRouve

Scout
He's just played 4 games in 12 days, a notoriously difficult run of fixtures, he played the 90 minutes in 3 of 4 of those games. In the other game he came off 7 minutes from the end. In the last of those games he ran further than any other player has ran in any other Premier League fixture this season.

Remarkable fitness levels at the least.
He used to do the same at Monaco, pundits were always stating that he would have to be rested at some point but he almost played every league games and was mainly finshing them or subbed in the last 10 minutes. Same thing in CL. He doesn't get injured too.

Classical Mechanic

He used to do the same at Monaco, pundits were always stating that he would have to be rested at some point but he almost played every league games and was mainly finshing them or subbed in the last 10 minutes. Same thing in CL. He doesn't get injured too.
I'm not saying that he doesn't have great stamina but to go above and beyond at the end of the toughest run of games is eyebrow raising, to me anyway.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Beast performance. Can't believe he covered 13km+. Mad numbers considering the average is 10km and he's like 5 ft.
Being small actually helps — you'll never see Lukaku doing it because he has to carry all this extra muscle.

This guy took some of the special sauce just like Barca players used to do before big games under baldy. It's pretty fecking obvious if you've watched him regularly since his Monaco days. Every City player was dead on their feet while this guy was a one man press in the last 10 minutes of the game.

This guy is not a physical specimen, there is no system that makes you so much more physically superior than the rest of the pitch. Bear in mind that this Liverpool team are no mugs, they had Milner who is a marathon runner turned footballer.

This was Silva's 4th full game in 12 days. Some major red flags would be going up if anyone gave a toss about monitoring this. But the testing in the PL is a joke.
If they have an option of using drugs that do not get detected by the testing system, why is it only Silva that takes them?

Brwned

I'm not saying that he doesn't have great stamina but to go above and beyond at the end of the toughest run of games is eyebrow raising, to me anyway.
Yes it's not about durability but intensity. Lots of players have his level of durability and work rate. To play at that intensity for an entire game in general is impressive, to do it after that run of games and in this parricular game...that was something else. It was limitless amounts of high intensity play.

Classical Mechanic

Yes it's not about durability but intensity. Lots of players have his level of durability and work rate. To play at that intensity for an entire game in general is impressive, to do it after that run of games and in this parricular game...that was something else. It was limitless amounts of high intensity play.
It would be interesting to see the high intensity sprints stats. I remember against Spurs (one of the fittest teams in the league) last season KDB played like a man possessed and ran the most distance but also had the most high intensity sprints. Again, eyebrow raising.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Being small actually helps — you'll never see Lukaku doing it because he has to carry all this extra muscle.

If they have an option of using drugs that do not get detected by the testing system, why is it only Silva that takes them?
Well that would make it blindlingly obvious.

Maybe just 1 or 2 players at a time is enough to do the job, but not be overly suspicious.

I'd say the way KDB / D Silva also remarkably improved their running under Guardiola is odd too.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'm surprised nobody here found Park Ji Sung or Fletcher's stamina levels 'suspiscious'.

Bernardo Silva has been outstanding this season. I still remember many of us pining for him prior to the summer that City got him. Since he took time to adjust to English football, he then apprently became the lame fraud we were fools bemoan missing out on. Sadly he's proving to be an excellent player for City. Rare to find a footballer with his energy levels and his technical qualities.

amolbhatia50k

Well that would make it blindlingly obvious.

Maybe just 1 or 2 players at a time is enough to do the job, but not be overly suspicious.

I'd say the way KDB / D Silva also remarkably improved their running under Guardiola is odd too.
And we're too ethical to use these dark arts?

Skills

Snitch
I think the intensity of the game was such that it's not too surprising that a player like him managed 13k. He's already one of the hardest working players in that team, and I guess the way the game was being played it made him go super-saiyan.

Did any of the other players in both teams set season records for the distance covered?

Brwned

I'm surprised nobody here found Park Ji Sung or Fletcher's stamina levels 'suspiscious'.

Bernardo Silva has been outstanding this season. I still remember many of us pining for him prior to the summer that City got him. Since he took time to adjust to English football, he then apprently became the lame fraud we were fools bemoan missing out on. Sadly he's proving to be an excellent player for City. Rare to find a footballer with his energy levels and his technical qualities.
I'd guess most people thinking City use PEDs also think most clubs use PEDs. I do.

I did think about Fletcher and don't remember having that feeling about him in any game ever. He could run all day, all season, but that's at least in part because he rarely did the kind of high intensity sprints you see forwards make.

amolbhatia50k

I'd guess most people thinking City use PEDs also think most clubs use PEDs. I do.

I did think about Fletcher and don't remember having that feeling about him in any game ever. He could run all day, all season, but that's at least in part because he rarely did the kind of high intensity sprints you see forwards make.
In that case SAF and United were at it tendering this discussion either irrelevant or selective in nature.

The Purley King

Was absolutely superhuman last night, for 20 minutes in the 2nd half before Aguero was subbed he was doing his own running and Aguero's as well. Does he really play like that all the time? Would never have put him in the 'midfield terrier' bracket at all.
Must have won the ball back at least 6-8 times as well. Incredible performance.
Fernandinho wasn't far behind either.

Trizy

This guy took some of the special sauce just like Barca players used to do before big games under baldy. It's pretty fecking obvious if you've watched him regularly since his Monaco days. Every City player was dead on their feet while this guy was a one man press in the last 10 minutes of the game.

This guy is not a physical specimen, there is no system that makes you so much more physically superior than the rest of the pitch. Bear in mind that this Liverpool team are no mugs, they had Milner who is a marathon runner turned footballer.

This was Silva's 4th full game in 12 days. Some major red flags would be going up if anyone gave a toss about monitoring this. But the testing in the PL is a joke.
Unless your body does not create lactic acid then it's pretty much impossible to do that running in the 4th game during those 12 days. And there's only 1 person in the world who doesn't get lactic acid, some American marathon runner.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Unless your body does not create lactic acid then it's pretty much impossible to do that running in the 4th game during those 12 days. And there's only 1 person in the world who doesn't get lactic acid, some American marathon runner.
Bullshit... I'm 14st, currently 4 over weight and I run 10k every second night in less than an hour. I also manage to get kickboxing training for 2 hours in every night I don't run and then I rest Saturday and Sunday. Bernardo is a fecking 9.5 stone midget and professional athlete while I'm a fat bastard who spends most his day sat at a computer.

Given he also has access to professional physios, chryotherapy, professional massage facilities and just about everything an athlete could want its fecking ridiculous to say a professional footballer can't run a combined 50k in 12 days without ped's.

An average person who runs for fun/fitness, can run over 60km in 6 days just to keep fit but a pro footballer needs PED's to run 50 in 12? Really? If you stretch properly lactic acid is no problem, the people who usually suffer from this are people who go to the gym do a hard workout and don't warm down or stretch out properly.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...sSQ0MXfaYDz7rHgWT&ampcf=1&cshid=1546608107402

Felliani over 13k there. Milner 13.56km in a "So far" 2015 article. The amount pressing teams like City and Liverpool run now must be higher than then.

Old article but the numbers there don't look too dissimilar.

If it was 15k or something then you may have a point.
The point is the intensity in such a big game like this. All of those are big teams vs small teams or vice versa.

It’s extremely impressive to drop 13.7km in such a match.

Ibrahimorich

Bullshit... I'm 14st, currently 4 over weight and I run 10k every second night in less than an hour. I also manage to get kickboxing training for 2 hours in every night I don't run and then I rest Saturday and Sunday. Bernardo is a fecking 9.5 stone midget and professional athlete while I'm a fat bastard who spends most his day sat at a computer.

Given he also has access to professional physios, chryotherapy, professional massage facilities and just about everything an athlete could want its fecking ridiculous to say a professional footballer can't run a combined 50k in 12 days without ped's.

An average person who runs for fun/fitness, can run over 60km in 6 days just to keep fit but a pro footballer needs PED's to run 50 in 12? Really? If you stretch properly lactic acid is no problem, the people who usually suffer from this are people who go to the gym do a hard workout and don't warm down or stretch out properly.
You must be consuming a lot of PIEs then

Trizy

Are you seriously comparing you jogging in a straight line to a high intensity football match twisting and turning on a soft surface? Too many kicks in the head from kickboxing by the sounds of it.

Since you won't take my word from it, why do you think managers rotate their squads in the festive period? Because you will burn a player out or risk injury making them play 5 times in 15-16 days. You see it time and time again with high intensity teams burning out over Christmas (Leeds is a fine example this year), but I guess they don't have the exact same magic physios or facilities you mentioned above, eh? :rolleyes:

What he did on his 4th game is beyond belief and would be credited accordingly had his manager not a shady record of unrealistic endurance players throughout is Barcelona spell.

Also you mentioned if you stretch lactic acid isn't a problem, have you ever played a football match? You legs would be fecked playing 4 games in that space no matter how much you foam rolled or stretched.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
This lad's touch is unreal, I am gutted city have him!

@padr81 I'm afraid doing 10K at a comfortable pace is not the same as 13K+ with 75% of that being sprints. Not to mention you're not doing it competitively. Could you run 6 10ks competitively, where you're trying to win in 6 days?

JPRouve

Scout

@padr81 I'm afraid doing 10K at a comfortable pace is not the same as 13K+ with 75% of that being sprints. Not to mention you're not doing it competitively. Could you run 6 10ks competitively, where you're trying to win in 6 days?
Do you have the amount of sprints?

Trikie

Supports
Liverpool
He did make me laugh last night throwing his arms in the air celebrating a throw in

JPRouve

Scout
Na, I did pluck that out my arse, but he looked like he didn't stop yesterday.
That's a shame. IIRC Dele Alli was around 70 sprints per game last season, he was topping that stat.

Brwned

In that case SAF and United were at it tendering this discussion either irrelevant or selective in nature.
Well it is selective, because it's a thread about a specific player, and the discussion about a specific game. If you want to broaden that out in another thread feel free, but this is the Bernardo Silva thread.

People weren't saying it about him when he was running just under 12km per game in the Champions League this season. He is known to be a hard working player and Guardiola midfielders are known to cover a lot of ground. What he did yesterday was something different, in my opinion and many others'. No idea why you want to participate in that discussion only to tell people it's irrelevant, instead of just participating in a different conversation altogether.

Mrdan1709

Bullshit... I'm 14st, currently 4 over weight and I run 10k every second night in less than an hour. I also manage to get kickboxing training for 2 hours in every night I don't run and then I rest Saturday and Sunday. Bernardo is a fecking 9.5 stone midget and professional athlete.
Really a midget? Hes 1.73m. Is only 6ft not a midget in your world?

Last edited by a moderator:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
There's a reason the distance covered stat is so widely available to the public while the juicier high intensity sprints data are held back for club consumption. Still, it's mighty impressive in isolation when compared with what most other midfielders are covering, even moreso when it's a player with such a gorgeous touch.

Silva's pressing was little different to the type of hounding that made Fletcher such a presence in his pomp.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I dont have a say on peds or not but would it be possible to get Ronaldo's stars for Man United vs Chelasea 1-1 back in 2006 (the 2006/07 season).

He was running like Usain Bolt in the 90th minute chasing a loose ball towards Ashley Cole.

I'm curious to know if it really was that impressive or I was just young

padr81

Supports
Man City

Of course I couldn't I'm nearly 4 stone overweight and not a professional athlete. There is no way whatsoever he sprinted nearly 10k in that game, in fact quite the opposite if 3km of it was sprinted I'd be shocked frankly. To suggest he sprinted nearly 10k last night is ridiculous.

The average number of sprints per player in the PL is about 10-12, imagine Silva done 20 or so playing in midfield. He can't sprint more than 100m at a time so at most he sprinted 2km last night. Given that not all his sprints were from goal line to goal line, at best he sprinted 1.5k in the entire match.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Are you seriously comparing you jogging in a straight line to a high intensity football match twisting and turning on a soft surface? Too many kicks in the head from kickboxing by the sounds of it.

Since you won't take my word from it, why do you think managers rotate their squads in the festive period? Because you will burn a player out or risk injury making them play 5 times in 15-16 days. You see it time and time again with high intensity teams burning out over Christmas (Leeds is a fine example this year), but I guess they don't have the exact same magic physios or facilities you mentioned above, eh? :rolleyes:

What he did on his 4th game is beyond belief and would be credited accordingly had his manager not a shady record of unrealistic endurance players throughout is Barcelona spell.

Also you mentioned if you stretch lactic acid isn't a problem, have you ever played a football match? You legs would be fecked playing 4 games in that space no matter how much you foam rolled or stretched.
Insults will get you nowhere.

Manager rotate their players when they need rest, Bernardo is a small guy, Pep has said a million times about how small guys recover fast, it was exactly why he rested Walker and not Bernardo or Sterling. Small players don't carry the same amount of muscle mass (mass in general) they don't need the rest big players do. Its pretty much a fact.

So you entire arugment is I'm gonna say its drugs even though if he had any other manager he would get the credit he deserves... sounds like you are clutching at straws to me buddy.

I take it you've played 4 professional games in 12 days as a professional athlete to know just how bad it is?

Bernardo done at most 20 high intensity long sprints last night over 90 minutes, all far less than 100 meters. Your whole argument is rubbish.

Last edited:

padr81

Supports
Man City
Really a midget? Hes 1.73m. Is only 6ft not a midget in your world?
1.73m is 5ft8 which in comparison to most top premier league footballers is a midget, he's also 63 kilo's. I'm actually 1.73cm and I'd consider myself pretty much a midget in athletic terms.

The average height of a premier league footballer is over 9cm taller (approx 6ft), hence why most people on here refer to City as a team of midgets.
The average weight of a premier league footballer (as of 2014 last I could find) is 75kg.

So he's 3.5 inches shorter and 2 stone lighter than the average player.