Best movies of the 21st century

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Fish Tank is great.

Interesting that you have somewhat stuffy hollywood royalty like The Hurt Locker and Wolf of Wallstreet in with more idiosyncratic directors like Bela Tarr and Kim Ki Duk. A strange mix. I thought The Great Beauty and Inglorious Bastards would both be top 20. Tarrantino in particular should hit that film critic-meets-movie reviewer sweet spot.

I'm going to guess Uncle Boonmee, Hidden, Kid with a Bike, Lincoln, The Skin I Live in, Anatolia, Act of Killing are up next. And the coens and pixar to dominate the top 20.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Inglorious Basterds 62?!

My favourite movies since the millennium are Django: Unchained, Public Enemies, The Bourne Trilogy, The Departed, Shutter Island, Legend, This is England, and The LOTR Trilogy. Probably a few I've missed but they're the ones that pop into me head first.

Member 39557

Fish Tank is great.

Interesting that you have somewhat stuffy hollywood royalty like The Hurt Locker and Wolf of Wallstreet in with more idiosyncratic directors like Bela Tarr and Kim Ki Duk. A strange mix. I thought The Great Beauty and Inglorious Bastards would both be top 20. Tarrantino in particular should hit that film critic-meets-movie reviewer sweet spot.

I'm going to guess Uncle Boonmee, Hidden, Kid with a Bike, Lincoln, The Skin I Live in, Anatolia, Act of Killing are up next. And the coens and pixar to dominate the top 20.
That was an odd film.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I loved the first half but was left scratching my head by the end, in a shabby hotel room with a guy on dialysis.

Spoony

The People's President
@Peyroteo in the newbies asked me to post his list:

In the mood for love
Mulholland drive
The assassinaton of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford
Yi-yi
XXY
Suzhou River
Ida
Oslo, August 31st
Y tu mama tambien
Princess Mononoke
Milennium Mambo
The New World
Wall-E
Inside Llewyn Davis
Hero
Zodiac
Under the skin
Lost in translation

So many great ones.
One of the best films ever made. We agree. I know we do. Sadly I just don't get the time to watch films anymore. 'life, ohhh life...'

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
One of the best films ever made. We agree. I know we do. Sadly I just don't get the time to watch films anymore. 'life, ohhh life...'
Yet you have the time to watch the footy and the cricket and chat about it on here. I think you've got your priorities messed up, man.

Spoony

The People's President
Yet you have the time to watch the footy and the cricket and chat about it on here. I think you've got your priorities messed up, man.
Yeah but United is United. As for cricket I don't actually watch that much of it. But yeah I do need to get back into watching good quality films.

stepic

I think Brokeback Mountain was vastly overrated, and the outrage was over the theme of the film (2 gay guys traversing the Wild West) being snubbed. I'm taking all the movies on the board that year over Brokeback.
Brokeback was so much better than Crash. Crash is one of the worst movies I've ever ever seen in my life, and it won. I still can't believe that.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Who are these tweenage girl critics who voted for Moulin Rouge? I mean I actually like it ( although it's no Strictly Ballroom) but it's candy floss, just sugar and air. If it's the first musical you ever saw then sure it's kind of novel but I can't understand who would choose it over the rich Sweeney Todd, the witty Romance and Cigarettes and Pitch Perfect or the weighty Dancer in the Dark.

Avatar will have to be in there somewhere now I guess, just bove My Winnipeg.

Bigelow again?

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Who are these tweenage girl critics who voted for Moulin Rouge? I mean I actually like it ( although it's no Strictly Ballroom) but it's candy floss, just sugar and air. If it's the first musical you ever saw then sure it's kind of novel but I can't understand who would choose it over the rich Sweeney Todd, the witty Romance and Cigarettes and Pitch Perfect or the weighty Dancer in the Dark.

Avatar will have to be in there somewhere now I guess, just bove My Winnipeg.

Bigelow again?
Good lord, that's a film I can't be watching again any time soon.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Cartoons should only be on kids films best lists. How can the best animated film even come close to a good film? I'll never understand this.

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
Why wouldn't it?
I find it hard to care for computer animated characters or drawings. It doesn't make much sense since I like science fiction films but I just can't enjoy animated films somehow.

I've never even seen Wall-E or The Lion King. I'd honestly rather watch a Pauldy movie.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
I find it hard to care for computer animated characters or drawings. It doesn't make much sense since I like science fiction films but I just can't enjoy animated films somehow.

I've never even seen Wall-E or The Lion King. I'd honestly rather watch a Pauldy movie.
I think it's because you're part of that older generation who have grown up with animation and childrens cartoons being synonymous.

If you'd just watch a few and broaden your horizons you'll see that there's a lot of good stuff. I mean the first 9 seasons of The Simpsons is probably the greatest sitcom ever. In science fiction especially, the likes of Akira and Ghost in the Shell are magnificent adult films.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!

Watch Grave of the Fireflies. If you can get through that without caring for the characters then animation truly has no impact on you :lol:

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
I think it's because you're part of that older generation who have grown up with animation and childrens cartoons being synonymous.
I feel like it's the other way around to be honest. I grew up in a time where it was the most normal thing for kids to watch Manga series like Fist of the North Star and other pretty violent cartoons instead of all this pansy Pokemon stuff they watch nowadays.

I've seen and enjoyed a lot of cartoons when I was younger. Even these last few years I've watched a ton of pixar and disney films with my daughter. I just somehow can't seem to enjoy them anymore, don't ask me why.

Oh, and Ghost in the Shell has been on my watchlist for over 20 years as it's been recommended to me by mates so many times. I'll make myself watch it one day.