Best player at the World Cup?

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
I'd have Rodriguez as the best so far with Robben second. Depending on the remaining matches it could change.

Robben is outrageously good though. To have that energy, pace and stamina in ET at 30 years old, with a career with so many injuries is spectacular. I think he's the third best player in the world.
It's quite ridiculous. Nothing happens for the Dutch without him instigating it.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I don't know where people get that from. I thought the last World Cup proved Argentina having an abundance of attacking talent get's you nowhere when you don't have a solid unit.

Holland have worked very well as a team and that's given Robben a great platform to showcase his ability. The less said about Argentina the better.
This is spot on.

Too many Argentine players not pulling their weight & it seems LVG is streets ahead of Sabella in terms of motivation, tactics & getting his players motivated.

Football can change quickly though. If Arg pull up in the last 2 matches, no one will remember the first 4/5 matches.

justboy68

Robben just seems to have a determination at this world cup like nothing I've ever seen. Rodriguez has been unbelievable, but I think I have to agree that Robben has been the player of the tournament so far. He's not messing about at all, direct and threatening every single time he gets the ball without seemingly getting tired even after 120 minutes. Messi would be third for now, can still change though.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
How Robben must shouting for the ball, running and driving at the CR defence all match - great performance only missing a goal/assist.

Was truly inspiring performance from him IMO & consistently, over the whole tournament, he's got to be the MVP.

Without a doubt been better then James & Messi.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I missed today's Argentina game so I can't say but I would have said Messi was the best player before this round of matches. He was driving Argentinians and he will probably be the difference against the Dutch.

Robben was superb for the Dutch today though, they should have won in normal time.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I watched the game with a bunch of friends tonight - 2 of which that don't like football, and by the end of the game, both knew who Robben was, and were on the edge of their seats everytime he got the ball.

In short - he's brilliant.

heub

i have hardly seen a man on mission like robben at this world cup.

its robben v the casillas moment.

redpersie

Robben vs Messi next match. Whoever wins that will probably take the golden ball this world cup.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Agree that the next game is crucial. Robben has been more energetic and messi more rusty, but the latter has had more responsibility. Whoever turns it on in the semis should be the favorite. Holland look the far more balanced and well managed so I'm predicting robben.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
Robben must be insanely fit. He was sprinting at full tilt in extra time like it was nothing, constantly looking for the ball, never hiding or taking a breather. Seriously impressive player, and in many ways is very under-rated (despite being rated highly). For me, he's one of the most dangerous players I've ever seen with ball at feet. There are other players who are better and who you know will hurt you, but I've always had an extra level of trepidation with Robben about. You just know he can destroy you, and in a blink of the eye too.

RedStarUnited

Robben must be insanely fit. He was sprinting at full tilt in extra time like it was nothing, constantly looking for the ball, never hiding or taking a breather. Seriously impressive player, and in many ways is very under-rated (despite being rated highly). For me, he's one of the most dangerous players I've ever seen with ball at feet. There are other players who are better and who you know will hurt you, but I've always had an extra level of trepidation with Robben about. You just know he can destroy you, and in a blink of the eye too.
He is extremely direct and doent stop going at people. One of them devastating one and one players ever.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
indeed. wonderful player. A joy to watch.

Argentina have Messi, Holland have Robben. Which team prevails depends on which of these players has the better day.

shahab

I hated Robben so bad. Never felt joy watching him. Never ever. (coming from a Bayern fan).

But he has been INSANE in this World Cup, really really outstanding performances. Extra Time, minute 100+, he gets the ball, he's like a dog with a bone.
The only way Costa Rica stopped him from his runs, were by fouling him.

Is it because of Van Gaal? Is it because of the team? Due to the fact that he's probably the only superstar in the team? Does he only "look" better, because his other teammates are average, but nothing special?

He's different from Ronaldo, Messi. You wouldn't see a game like that from Ronaldo, he's more the finisher these years. And Messi doesn't has the speed that Robben has.

His style is a bit like Bale's. Same position, super speed, super dribble and golden left foot.

gofelx

Supports
Hamburgers
Robben has been amazing these past years, not only in this world cup... His injuries were his only issue.

Essaux

I hated Robben so bad. Never felt joy watching him. Never ever. (coming from a Bayern fan).

But he has been INSANE in this World Cup, really really outstanding performances. Extra Time, minute 100+, he gets the ball, he's like a dog with a bone.

Is it because of Van Gaal? Is it because of the team? Due to the fact that he's probably the only superstar in the team? Does he only "look" better, because his other teammates are average, but nothing special?

He's different from Ronaldo, Messi. You wouldn't see a game like that from Ronaldo, he's more the finisher these years. And Messi doesn't has the speed that Robben has.

His style is a bit like Bale's. Same position, super speed, super dribble and golden left foot.
I generally agree with your post, but the part in bold.. I think not many United fans will be happy about that claim :lol:

hamad138

I think its robben,

Maybe he has a chance of winning World Player against ronaldo?

hamad138

is the ANY chance we can get Robben?
No

Why would Robben change Bayern Munich , where he can battle Champions League, CUP and league against a team who arent even in Champions League and are far off to win anything.

His only upgrades are Barcelona or Real.

RedStarUnited

Bale is nothing like Robben. Bale does not posses a "super" dribble. He is a kick and run type of dribbler. I honestly believe if Messi played wider, we would see him skipping past players more regularly but his goal output would obviously go down.

Ronaldo isnt direct enough anymore and just doesnt have the dribbling ability or rather confidence anymore. Again, he sacrificed that for a better goal output too, which is a shame.

hamad138

i have banned you from this thread

respect your fellow posters
I dont want to attack u , but that was hard haha
Bale is nothing like Robben. Bale does not posses a "super" dribble. He is a kick and run type of dribbler. I honestly believe if Messi played wider, we would see him skipping past players more regularly but his goal output would obviously go down.

Ronaldo isnt direct enough anymore and just doesnt have the dribbling ability or rather confidence anymore. Again, he sacrificed that for a better goal output too, which is a shame.
Ronaldo is way more skilled than messi with the ball, his dribblings and skills are better. Messi can run faster and pass better