Best semis ever?

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member
Brasil - Germany
Holland - Argentina

has there been a recent semi finals composed of only big fish?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Dream Semi finals. Don't expect thrilling matches but very interesting to see who goes to the final. I honestly believe each team left has a 50% chance each of winning.

Revan

Assumptionman
Twice winners, they have as big a claim to be a big fish as anyone.

The Netherlands have never won it.
An old time ago. They haven't been a force on world football for decades prior to Tabarez getting the job on 2006.

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member
I can only see 1970 as bigger

Germany
Italy
Brazil
Uruguay

back in 1970 Uruguay were much bigger

heub

it is.

holland v argentina could even be a great final.

and brazil v germany has to be the biggest game in international football.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Rarely have my expectations for a Netherlands - Argentina game been so low though. Not exactly good vintages there.
Its a world cup semi final. I dont get this attitude.
Im not sure how old you are but for some of us who can remember 1978 there is a ton of history and emotion involved. Tons of vintage there, tons of interesting elements. Argentina have the one of the current worlds best players in their side and if they win it it may be enough to elevate him up there with Pele and Maradonna forever. Holland have the best player of the tournament so far, a world class striker who has already scored a great goal and a manager who keeps on giving people something to think and talk about.
Lots to make this a game to look forward to. Some of you need to cheer the feck up.

Makelele

It would be if not for the fact that none of these teams have impressed anyone.

Holland have been underwhelming more than anything. Brazil is lacking it's biggest superstar and have a team that isn't close to the superstar squads of yore. There is also something very mundane over Argentina

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!

Holland have been underwhelming more than anything. Brazil is lacking it's biggest superstar and have a team that isn't close to the superstar squads of yore. There is also something very mundane over Argentina
Yeah but if you want to concentrate on that then you are going to hate the game. If you look forward to it with all the history etc involved then you might just enjoy the games. Frankly half of the whining on here is a state of mind. There are some really miserable cnuts on here. I cant wait for the games, I have enjoyed the group and knock out stages and even if some of the games havent been champagne football there has been the individual and tactical battles taking place that were enough to keep me involved.
So your choice, go in to watching the games from a mindset of whining about some lack of quality or be excited about a couple of WC semi final games. I suspect you will just carry on whinging.

Makelele

No I'm going to enjoy it. But why has a response to a direct question have to be whining? Some people sugarcoat things too much. It's an illness in our generation. Everything has to be "the best ever". Everything amazing.

Let's calm a spade a spade, shall we. With that said, I can't wait for these semifinals.

Cal?

CR7 fan
it is.

holland v argentina could even be a great final.

and brazil v germany has to be the biggest game in international football.
Italy may have something to say about that, but definitely one of the biggest...

heub

Italy may have something to say about that, but definitely one of the biggest...
italy is a powerhouse with its 4 world cup titles.

but germany is arguably the biggest football team in the world, next to brazil. germany is the country with the most world cup games, the most world cup finals. its 16 world cup quarterfinals in a row now for them. germany has played every world cup semifinal in this century. and on tuesday, its their 5th major consecutive semifinal after 06, 08, 10 and 12.

italy vs germany

world cups: 4 - 3
world cup finals: 6 - 7
world cup semi finals: 8 - 13
world cup quarterfinals: 9 - 17
world cup games won: 45 - 64

and...
euros: 1- 3
euro games won: 13 - 23

JuveGER

Supports
Juventus
On paper, these are great semi-finals. And we will end up with a great final on paper, too. Argentina vs. Brazil would probably be the biggest final with a great rivalry followed by another rivalry in Germany vs. Netherlands. Germany vs. Argentina would be a comeback of the 1986 and 1990 finals. Can't wait. That being said, I expect the tension, rivalry and big game feeling to make these games interesting, but I don't expect good football.

Cal?

CR7 fan
italy is a powerhouse with its 4 world cup titles.

but germany is arguably the biggest football team in the world, next to brazil. germany is the country with the most world cup games, the most world cup finals. its 16 world cup quarterfinals in a row now for them. germany has played every world cup semifinal in this century. and on tuesday, its their 5th major consecutive semifinal after 06, 08, 10 and 12.

italy vs germany

world cups: 4 - 3
world cup finals: 6 - 7
world cup semi finals: 8 - 13
world cup quarterfinals: 9 - 17
world cup games won: 45 - 64

and...
euros: 1- 3
euro games won: 13 - 23
I was just saying that an argument can be made for Italy due to their 1 more WC win, but agree that Brazil v Germany is probably as big as it gets.

Also, regarding 4 years ago, let's not forget Spain were not really a big fish until 4 years ago.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
On paper two top semis, in reality I don't really expect a classic out of either match but all four teams have a equal chance of winning the tournament which is intriguing in itself. Regardless how the games pan out they'll both be gripping matches, can't wait

Essaux

At the start of the WC nobody gave Holland a chance, even doubting if they would be able to get out of their group. They got out of their group with 9 points thumping Spain 1-5 in the process.

Now if that is underwhelming :lol: then I wonder what you consider to be overwhelming.