Best Striker in the World

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
If Ronaldo was the 4th best striker in the world, don't you think someone would want to sign him? :lol:

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
These numbers are actually even better in other statistics, where they also count winning penalties. You must have mixed up the numberes for 09/10 season though.
09/10: 5 assists
10/11: 6 assists
11/12: 11 assists
12/13: 13 assists

Benzema was 22-26 old in those seasons.

....still the numbers are not quite like Haaland's (age 19-21) at Dortmund:
BL: 50 goals + 15 assists in 4063 minutes (1,44 G+A/90)
CL: 21 goals + 3 assists in 1386 minutes (1,56 G+A/90)

Compared with Benzema aged 19-22 at Lyon (which was enough to make him one of the most interesting prospects in football at the time and gave him a move to the Galacticos) :
Ligue 1 06-09: 42 goals 18 assists in 6496 minutes (0,83 G+A/90)
CL 06-09: 11 goals and 3 assists in 1390 minutes (0,91 G+A/90)

Benzema as the main man at RM, post Ronaldo, in his absolute prime according to most pundits out there:
Laliga 18-21: 77 goals + 31 assists in 10217 minutes (0,95 G+A/90)
CL 18-21: 20 goals + 5 assists in 2471 minutes (0,91 G+A/90)

I think we can say that while Benzema has had a great career and is a world class striker, it should be impossible to rate him as the best striker in the world at any point of his career.
Do you think if you put Haaland in that Madrid team last season, they are winning the CL? Was Haaland better than him last season? Or anybody else? The stats tell only one part of the story. There's a reason the Ballon d'Or is a foregone conclusion at this point, Benzema was head and shoulders above everybody else.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Do you think if you put Haaland in that Madrid team last season, they are winning the CL? Was Haaland better than him last season? Or anybody else? The stats tell only one part of the story. There's a reason the Ballon d'Or is a foregone conclusion at this point, Benzema was head and shoulders above everybody else.
Pretty much this.
Ranking halland ahead of Benzema on the merits of their last season exploits is frankly ridiculous.

Walters_19_MuFc

Best all round has to be Benzema. He's simply amazing! So elegant, too. It's what I was hoping (still hope) Martial can be but yeah.....

Trequarista10

I think it's sad there's very few top strikers who are proper 9s - most of the best are the older ones (Benzema, Lewandowski). Even Kane and Lukaku nearly 30. Haaland is so far ahead of any remotely similiar player under 29. Not that long ago there would dozens of quality strikers around at any one time.

Football always goes in cycles though, expect we'll see more again before long.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
To me it’s Haaland.

With this season playing for a super team, he would be far ahead of everyone else in numbers, if he managed to stay injury free.
Are numbers everything though? Halaand does barely anything outside of goals. Someone like Benzema is a completely footballer and for me I'd have him anyday over the Norwegian.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Are numbers everything though? Halaand does barely anything outside of goals. Someone like Benzema is a completely footballer and for me I'd have him anyday over the Norwegian.
You have to admit, "does barely anything outside of goals" is an odd criticism of a striker. His scrambled egg not as good as it could be?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
You have to admit, "does barely anything outside of goals" is an odd criticism of a striker. His scrambled egg not as good as it could be?
That doesn't make any sense.

Benzema scores tons of goals and has done so in vital games leading to major trophies. Over and above that he also contributes to the buildup, chance creation, quality of passing, pressing and so on. Why would Halaand be better than him when he contributes less on a football pitch? It's a pointless comparison unless Halaand greatly improves his all round play.

colombianmancunian

Currently Benzema, he doesn’t only score but his link up play is genious. I remember a long time ago when he was rubbish, gives hope for some people like Martial to become very good.

Second place is Lewandowski. Third Kane. Fourth Ronaldo. Fifth M’Bappe closely followed by Halaand (the French got more than goals in his game ala Henry, Halaand is just a goal machine ala RVN)

According to Liverpool fans, Nuñez is number one.:lol:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
For striker I think goals is the utmost important. I’d rather to have striker to hunt goals/always dangerous inside the box rather than drop deep to involve in build up play, but I guess it depends on system.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
In the modern game you expect to see your striker involved in build up play and possibly dropping deeper at times. It's quite rare to see an out and out striker now that is purely all about goals. Personally if a player isn't great at the other stuff but amazing at putting the ball in the back of the net I would think they are missing something even though I'd think they were a great goal scorer.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Haaland, Lewandowski and Benzema are on a different level to everyone else now.

Kane could be, but putting a player along those who has never touched a trophy in his career seems odd.

Josh 76

Currently Benzema, he doesn’t only score but his link up play is genious. I remember a long time ago when he was rubbish, gives hope for some people like Martial to become very good.

Second place is Lewandowski. Third Kane. Fourth Ronaldo. Fifth M’Bappe closely followed by Halaand (the French got more than goals in his game ala Henry, Halaand is just a goal machine ala RVN)

According to Liverpool fans, Nuñez is number one.:lol:
At this moment, Ronaldo is not the 4th best striker in the world!

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Haaland, Lewandowski and Benzema are on a different level to everyone else now.

Kane could be, but putting a player along those who has never touched a trophy in his career seems odd.
Do you rate the player or the success of the team they happened to play for? Seems an odd reason to discount Kane as an individual player.

Kane in my opinion is getting better and better.

the_cliff

Agreed, Imagine if Benzema played for this City team. Pep would love him as well, he's the prototype Pep number 9.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Do you rate the player or the success of the team they happened to play for? Seems an odd reason to discount Kane as an individual player.

The other three decided games and scored crucial goals to win finals. Kane came close but wasn't successful at this final step. It's debatable if this counts as individual performance and should be included I guess.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
The other three decided games and scored crucial goals to win finals. Kane came close but wasn't successful at this final step. It's debatable if this counts as individual performance and should be included I guess.
In what final did Haaland decide the game and score goals? Kane won the world cup golden boot remember among many other big games he has scored and won the game for his team in.

the_cliff

In what final did Haaland decide the game and score goals? Kane won the world cup golden boot remember.
People are looking down upon Kane tbh, In my eyes he's third after Benzema and Lewa. Haaland has some insane numbers but it's still too early to put him over Kane at the end of the season that could change though.

There's a reason Kane was Peps first choice and only decided to go for Haaland because of Levy's valuation.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
People are looking down upon Kane tbh, In my eyes he's third after Benzema and Lewa. Haaland has some insane numbers but it's still too early to put him over Kane at the end of the season that could change though.

There's a reason Kane was Peps first choice and only decided to go for Haaland because of Levy's valuation.
He has been looked down upon for his entire career despite being almost certainly the best striker in the history of the Premiership and one of the best English players of all time. It's because the rivalry between fans is so strong here nobody outside of Spurs wants to admit it. As I said he is still improving and is likely going to continue scoring and impacting games well into his 30's hopefully breaking records and (hopefully) winning medals as he goes.

the_cliff

He has been looked down upon for his entire career despite being almost certainly the best striker in the history of the Premiership and one of the best English players of all time. It's because the rivalry between fans is so strong here nobody outside of Spurs wants to admit it. As I said he is still improving and is likely going to continue scoring and impacting games well into his 30's hopefully breaking records and (hopefully) winning medals as he goes.
I disagree with that one, the problem though for Kane is if he goes through his career without winning a meaningful trophy it will be hard for him to get the ratings he deserves.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Yeah he's the heir to Alan Shearer if there ever was one even though their styles are slighty different as Kane gets older.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I disagree with that one, the problem though for Kane is if he goes through his career without winning a meaningful trophy it will be hard for him to get the ratings he deserves.
Shearer just won 1 PL title with Blackburn, but he's still considered by many to be the best british PL striker of all time. There is Rooney of course for competition, but Rooney didn't spend all that much time playing as a proper nr. 9

arnie_ni

It's because he hasn't won anything. People factor that in.

Nobody would discount a spurs player from any list because of rivalry and that's not a snide comment.

the_cliff

Shearer just won 1 PL title with Blackburn, but he's still considered by many to be the best british PL striker of all time. There is Rooney of course for competition, but Rooney didn't spend all that much time playing as a proper nr. 9
Henry ?

I think if you ask the majority of prem fans they'd say Henry, only Spurs fans would say Kane.

arnie_ni

Right now:

1. Benzema
2. Lewa
3. Haaland
4. Ronaldo
5. Darwin Nunez (did you forget him?)
6. Kane
50 feet of shit
Lukaku
That's a horrendous list. Ronald and nunez couldn't touch kane at the minute. Wind up?

Welbeckham

For me currently it’s Benzema and Håland, then Lewandowski, then Kane. These are miles above everyone else.

Benzema has been insanely good for the last year, honestly he has surprised me. I think Håland is still underrated because of his rough playing style, he is an absolute monster and he’s the only player I could imagine hitting 40+ goals in PL.

Lewandowski and Kane are just very, very prolific strikers and finishers, get them the ball and they will deliver. Lewandowski is more technically silky, Kane is super smart and determined. I still don’t think they are individually quite capable of what Benzema produced in last season’s UCL, some of those goals were out of this world.

About Håland, I think movement is the key word. Even if his hold-up play is sometimes lacking, he is still making runs and posing a huge threat for the defence. With his combination of speed, power and finishing, he is one of the most lethal strikers I have ever seen.

Everyone else needs to do a lot before they can be in this discussion. Without significant injuries to Håland, I don’t think anyone from his generation will be able to compete with him in the future. Maybe Mbappe if he gets his mentality right (and if he’s being considered a striker at the some point).

OverratedOpinion

I feel Kane is underrated on this forum. I don't know if it is because he hasn't had his best games against United.

Benzema, Lewandowski and Kane in that order for me but I do wonder what Kane would have done if he had been at Bayern the last few years, definitely has aspects of his game that are better than Lewandowski's.

Ish

Lights on for Luke

Unfortunately that's the world we live in. Kane will never get the recognition and individual awards because hes not winning the biggest team prizes. I think that's the single biggest driving factor.

Red Star One

Lewandowski already at 4 goals and one assist in his first three league games for Barca - if he continues this stellar form, the argument of him only getting insane numbers because of Bayern's domination will be a little shaken off I guess. Miles better than Kane and in my eyes to even put Harry in the same discussion with Benzema and Lewandowski is ambitious - over the last 3/5 years I have little doubt Lewy was global striker number one, last season only matched by Benzema in incredible form.

SambaBoy

I think you could have either one of Benzema, Lewandowski, Kane, Mbappe as the number 1. All slightly different players but there's not much between them IMO, splitting hairs.

Jacob

Tier 1
Lewandowski
Haaland
Benzema
Mbappe

Tier 2
Kane
Felix

Tier 3
Lukaku
Ronaldo
Immobile
Jota
Aubameyang
Vlahovic
Moreno
Jesus
Osimhen
Martinez
etc.

arnie_ni

Tier 1
Lewandowski
Haaland
Benzema
Mbappe

Tier 2
Kane
Felix

Tier 3
Lukaku
Ronaldo
Immobile
Jota
Aubameyang
Vlahovic
Moreno
Jesus
Osimhen
Martinez
etc.
Felix? As in the guy for atletico?

Some of these lists are crazy in my eyes.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
How can people put anyone on Benzema level?

1. He is incredible goalscorer,
2. His all around game is easily best in the world when it comes to strikers,
3. and he's winning trophies, and recent CL trophy he's won basically single handedly for his team.

Hardly anyone besides Lewandowski ticks 2 out of these 3 boxes, so I have no idea how can people put anyone on his level, let alone as better than him.